Author Topic: SNES collection - big find  (Read 5183 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
SNES collection - big find
« on: April 11, 2011, 04:51:20 PM »
For those that don't know I collect SNES games.  Or I did.  The problem is I've collected almost all the ones I'm interested in so I later gave Genesis collecting a go (not so interesting) and recently took up NES collecting (very interesting).  However there were a few rare games that I had not yet obtained a copy of.

My general sort of rule is that I have to find these things out "in the wild" at a flea market or used game store.  eBay is kind of like cheating.  The thrill of the find is a big part of the experience.  A store I typically frequent is a video store called Willow Video.  Lately I have been popping by once or twice a week to check out NES games.  I still check out the SNES section, of course, for the odd title I still need.

On Friday they had Mega Max X3!  This is a pretty damn rare SNES game so I was overjoyed.  The clerk behind the display case asked what I wanted and I replied like this:

"I'll take Mega Man X3, it's in this row and.... HOLY ****!  And Mega Man X2!  I'll take that one, too!"

I had completely failed to notice that X2 was also there right below X3.  X2's cover art doesn't stand out as much as X3's so I kind of glazed over it probably assuming it was X1 (which I've had since I was a kid).  And yes I did say "holy ****" to the clerk.  Usually I am more polite but I could not help myself.

These two games have been at the top of my want list since I started.  I was especially excited because I was going to my parents and was going to have dinner with my brothers.  I had once, about ten years ago when I first started collecting, seen X2 at this store and ignored it, not quite understanding how rare it was and my youngest brother, Eric, in particular had been on my ass for years because of it.

I decided to surprise him by hiding each game in a pocket of my coat.  So I go in the house and start talking with him and mention "oh, want to see what I found at Willow Video today?" and I show him X2 and he is just thrilled.  So he pops it in the SNES and starts playing it.  Meanwhile our other brother phones to tell him he'll be a bit late.  Eric tells him "hey Ian found Mega Man X2 today!  Isn't that awesome!"  At this point I have not revealed X3 so I thought that was pretty funny as it allowed me to surprise my other brother as well without even trying.  So I wait until Eric has finished the intro level and then just subtly reach in my pocket and hold X3 in front of his face.  He was blown away!  That's what really made it exciting.  Not just that I found some games I wanted for a while but that moment of surprising my brother.

So that leaves Chrono Trigger, R-Type III and Harvest Moon as the remaining missing pieces for my SNES collection.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:05:03 PM by Ian Sane »

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: SNES collection - big find
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 07:48:43 PM »
Just wait until you start playing Mega Man. You'll end up getting frustrated with the difficulty and taking it back tot he pawn shop. :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 08:07:09 AM »
When I found Super Turrican 2 in a pawn shop for <$5, I got the weirdest boner

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 04:42:35 PM »
SNES games seem to be the hardest to find out of the good games. My cousing was looking at the SNES games at our local used games shop recently and they had no games I was interested in. No Super Punchout, No Super Contra, No Yoshi...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 05:23:06 PM »
Did the clerk laugh at your little outburst? I know I'd have to hold it in if I saw someone do that. Nice find though, I'm assuming you found a decent price on the games or else you would have passed on them.

Have you ever posted pictures of your collection? I always like to see a nice SNES collection.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 09:03:21 PM »
A store I typically frequent is a video store called Willow Video.

IAN SANE, WTF DO YOU LIVE BRO? I also often browse the SNES section of a store I frequent, ALSO called Willow Video... in Langley, BC...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 11:50:35 PM »
Hey Ian, is "Uncharted Waters: New Horizons" part of your SNES collection? If its not, I strongly recommend finding it and getting it. It was one of my favorite SNES games of all time. Very fun, and very much unlike anything else I've played before or since.
is your sanity...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 12:48:24 AM »
A store I typically frequent is a video store called Willow Video.

IAN SANE, WTF DO YOU LIVE BRO? I also often browse the SNES section of a store I frequent, ALSO called Willow Video... in Langley, BC...

Relax, Ian lives on the west coast of Canada, just north of the US Border. I think he is near that city where they film TV shows.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 01:04:01 AM »
Eff, that's right near me. Luckily, looking at the list of SNES games that he is looking for, we won't have to compete.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 01:16:46 AM »
Check his location in his profile. Surprise!
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 12:34:07 PM »
Check his location in his profile. Surprise!

Why does it say your post came "...from inside the house!"
Spooky.

I bought X3 when it launched.  Still have it somewhere.  I didn't know it was rare until a few years back.  Looking back at what I collected as a kid, I actually ended up with a pretty awesome SNES collection, having FFIII, Chrono Trigger, Mega Man X3, and a few other quality titles.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 01:14:30 PM »

Yeah, that's the same Willow Video.  I usually check it out once or twice a week, usually to coincide with visits to my parents' house, who live in Langley.  I live in Abbotsford which also has a Willow Video location but it is much smaller and doesn't have as good of a selection.  I'll still check that one out though if I'm already in that part of town.

I don't have Uncharted Waters: New Horizons.  I've heard good things about it.

As for pictures of my collection, I could do that one of these days.  The SNES is at my parents' house at the insistence of my younger brother as it isn't my SNES but rather all of ours as we bought it together when we were kids.  So the games are kept there as well and I would have to spread them out and take a picture some time when I visit.