Author Topic: Zelda soundtracks? Which is the best?  (Read 4927 times)

Offline Gamefreak

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Zelda soundtracks? Which is the best?
« on: May 04, 2003, 06:45:15 PM »
I have to say that although the Wind Waker soundtrack is great, and features some brilliantly hidden references to lots of old Zelda music (and some not so hidden ones, like the Hyrule Castle theme), I still don't think the pieces were as good in Ocarina of Time. In my opinion Ocarina of Time still has the best soundtrack, and only lacks the Overworld Theme (of course, but Hyrule Field is good keep that, at least for Goron trail and Lake hylia and such...), and one of my favorite Zelda songs, the Dark Overworld theme from Link to the Past. But i've found that the Dragon Roost Island is the only great new song...and it's not as hummable or unforgettable as songs like Saria's Song, Gerudo Valley, or the Song of Time.

So what are your thoughts on the Wind Waker soundtracks and how it stacks up against the older ones?  

Offline AdvancedGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2003, 02:44:40 AM »
I totally agree with you and have nothing to post. Thanks alot
Video Games-
Why waste good technology on medicine and science?

Now Playing: Zelda: TP (GC)
Mario Kart (DS)
NSMB (DS)

Offline Kenology

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2003, 10:27:59 AM »
I'm kinda stuck when it comes to which Zelda has the best soundtrack.  I'm stuck between Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.  I haven't gotten my Wind Waker OST as of yet, so I won't include that until I've given it a proper listen through.  I'm leaning more to Majora's Mask, becuase of its surreal, evocative melodies ("Last End", "Clocktower"), and it's zany and demented themes ("Mask House Theme", "Majora's Theme", "Ikana Valley" etc...).
Wii Friend Code: 6761 9883 7072 2526 - PM me your Wii Friend code and I'll add you. 
BWii: 429 612 278 949
MOH:H2 EA Nation username: Kenology
Endless Ocean: 1667-3301-0310
SSBB: 2964-8266-3925 - profile name = Ken

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
RE: Zelda soundtracks? Which is the best?
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2003, 10:42:41 AM »
Unfortunately, I never got to really get into Majora's Mask...I need to pick up a used copy and play through it. If they are as good as OoT that I'm happy...

The thing about Ocarina of Time is all the events and cutscenes everything really attached you to the music, on top of the music being well written. Anyone who has played through Ocarina of Time will instantly remember Windmill and such when they hear the Song of Storms...

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2003, 08:18:15 AM »
A lot of the WW tracks were just beautiful -- the Hyrule Castle Theme and the LoZ: ALttP title theme that you hear when the king gives Zelda the Triforce of Wisdom... those tracks made me roll in my own memories of those old games!  OoT had a fair amount of excellent tracks, but I feel that the soundtrack for WW was the better of the two.
Gaming is more than entertainment, it's a lifestyle.

USA Allied Wallpaper

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2003, 08:14:17 PM »
When Medli and Laruto the sage played their harps together in the Earth Temple, that was pure sweetness.

And any time Zelda's Lullabye is played is also sweetness.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2003, 09:03:16 AM »
I definitely agree that Dragon Roost Island's theme is the best one.  When I hear it I even start to tear up

Some hidden tones I found are in the Deku Haven area.  If you listen carefully you will hear a remixed beginning of Kokiri Village as well as the beginning notes of Saria's song.
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2003, 01:42:58 PM »
The WW opening theme is reminiscent of the Clocktown theme from MM.

The boss fight theme with Big Bird was nice too.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2003, 01:46:02 PM »
WW is probably my favorite, but the Song of Storms alone blows it out of the water.  I love that song. . .

Really, though, I probably like WW the most.  Song of Storms is awesome, though.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Kenology

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2003, 04:11:38 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill
Some hidden tones I found are in the Deku Haven area.  If you listen carefully you will hear a remixed beginning of Kokiri Village as well as the beginning notes of Saria's song.

The "Kokiri Forest" motif pops up quite a few times.  Outside the Deku Haven, Inside the Deku Haven, and on Outset Island.
Wii Friend Code: 6761 9883 7072 2526 - PM me your Wii Friend code and I'll add you. 
BWii: 429 612 278 949
MOH:H2 EA Nation username: Kenology
Endless Ocean: 1667-3301-0310
SSBB: 2964-8266-3925 - profile name = Ken

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2003, 09:10:51 PM »
My favorite two new songs from wind waker are probably the main title theme (I like how the two sages play the two parts of that song) and Dragon Roost...

But see, in Ocarina of Time, they remixed or brought back old songs like the Kakariko Adagio and Zelda's Lullaby...but not so much as Wind Waker. And all the new songs in Ocarina of Time were awesome. Even something as simple as the Song of Storms (just a few measures in eternal loop) are totally sweet. And then there are the full compositions like Gerudo Valley which totally own. And add the Song of Time, Saria's Song, Hyrule Field, and the various theme tunes that keep popping up (like the owl's theme, and the various "story" themes related to cutscenes) and you have a killer soundtrack...

Offline temjin11

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2003, 01:47:42 PM »
The wind waker is probably one of the most awesome soundracks next to chrono trigger.  My favorite tracks are The legendary hero,Molgera, and Farewell hyrule king.
\
theyre awesome

This is a bit off subject, but how do you guys put a little image next to your screen name?
If we could only look at things we could afford we'd all be looking at crap.

Except video games...

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2003, 04:06:47 PM »
Yeah, the Gerudo Valley song is awesome, as is Dragon Roost for Wind Waker.  I really liked the song in Wind Waker that they remixed from the old SNES game.  Could be that Farewell Hyrule King one you were talking about.  **spoilers** It's the song that plays underwater, in the castle. **end spoilers**
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2003, 04:33:42 PM »
No Hostile Creation you are thinking about the Hyrule Castle theme from LttP which they remixed. Farewell Hyrule King plays at the end of the game...

temjin11, first you need a 64x64 picture on your own webspace. Then go to your profile, and you can put a link to your picture where it says author icon...

Offline Lao-tzu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2003, 08:01:55 PM »
OoT beats all by 43 points.
Name: Aaron
Town: Hobbiton

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2003, 04:46:24 PM »
For me, a tie between MM, WW, and OOT... I love some of the music of MM. The healing song. (The one too get the transformation masks) makes me tear up everytime I hear it... sniff... On the other hand, WW has an awsome mix of new tunes and tunes from most other Zelda games. For some reason, I favor the OOT overworld theme than the old fashoned Zelda theme from the older games and MM. But the Great Sea theme is also good... OOT has MANY classics.
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2003, 10:44:08 PM »
I think that WW has the best fitting soundtrack, but OoT has the most memorable. I particuarly like the violin melody used for the theme and how melodies are used on the same rythym as you travel around different parts of some areas (outset, forest haven etc) in WW.  
Om mani padme hum.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2003, 09:45:42 AM »
Oldskool - Well the Hyrule Field song isn't really a replacement for the Overworld song. They are totally different types of songs...Also, there's actually a good bit of the Overworld theme hidden within Hyrule Field

Offline Nik Jam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2003, 02:22:11 PM »
Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, excellent

Have any of you heard the ocherstrated soundtracks? Genius. (especcialy Majora's)
Nik Jam - I don't know. You tell me.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2003, 02:49:37 PM »
Why aren't people mentioning A Link to the Past? That game had a great soundtrack...perhaps people just forgot. Or maybe because you didn't have to actually play music in that game, so you forgot...And there weren't any cutscenes either...

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2003, 03:31:04 PM »
I was hoping the LttP "Darkworld" theme would make a comeback in WW, but it never happened.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2003, 03:31:57 PM »
Yeah, like I said, Dark Overworld is one of my favorite Zelda songs ever. But then again, there aren't any "dark worlds" in WW.  

Offline Rymir

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2003, 03:39:44 PM »
Oot is the best game as far as plot and sound, if you ask me. Though the others are awesome too. Though I must admit some of the great songs in Oot are technically redone from LttP, like the village song. Lttp and Oot have the best soundtracks, but I'm sorry to say that Windwaker had the weakest.

The original reasons I got hooked on Zelda back in the NES days was music, plot, and boss fights, I still feel the same, and though Windwaker had an interesting plot I'm sorry to say that most of the boss fights and music in Windwaker were either really weak or redone from previous Zeldas. So I would say Oot and Lttp are still my favorites.

By the way MM was kind of the sameway, though it didn't steal its music from other Zeldas for all of the game, its own new soundtrack just didn't have that Zelda feel.

(Temple of Time will always be my obsession tune... and Lttp Sanctuary)