Author Topic: best n64 game and why  (Read 13933 times)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: best n64 game and why
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 10:53:51 AM »
This thread makes me wish Nintendo gave more of a **** in supporting the virtual console.  If they would put up some more of these games listed, they would easily have plenty of my $$, but instead, i'm forced to try to track down a used Nintendo 64 and some of these games. 

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 10:46:06 PM »
I won my N64 playing a flash game on the IBM site where you had to collect as many coins as possible in a minute and the first 5 people to get over a certain amount of points won an N64 and I was the 5th person to win one.  I also got a cool Mario hat which I completely wore out.  With the system I also got Mario 64, Wave Race, Star Fax 64, and Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire.  It was awesome.  I still go back and play my N64 from time to time.

The N64 AKI wrestling games were awesome, every one starting with World Tour, which had horrible graphics and not a lot of features, but the gameplay was awesome.  Every game in the series got better in graphics and features and the gameplay remained consistently awesome.

Mario 64, Star Fox 64, and Zelda were of course classics.  Not much to say about them that hasn't been said a million times before.

San Francisco Rush was an awesome racing game, and Rush 2049 which others have mentioned, made the game even better.

I loved Wetrix.  It was an awesome puzzle game.  Personally, I liked it better than Tetris.  It was a very unique idea and I thought the game was well executed.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 04:58:11 AM »
Wow, I won a hat in that contest as well. It was actually done in Shockwave (before Flash). We archived it here.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 07:59:06 PM »
Jet Force Gemini.
I wanted to like this game but I just couldn't get past the awful control. I may give it another chance sometime though, because it looks good otherwise.

1. Has anyone mentioned Rocket: Robot on Wheels?

2. How about Beetle Adventure Racing?
1. Not in this thread I don't think, but it was mentioned in the Epic Mickey thread a while back. It's good to see someone else appreciate the game, because I feel it is right up there with Nintendo and Rare platformers. The physics engine was pretty neat, and the music was great too.

2. I don't really care for the car either and I find it strange they'd make a racing game with essentially one vehicle (Mario Kart doesn't count because that was about the characters), but the gameplay is so good that I can handle it. It has some of the best tracks of any racer out there, they're huge and have multiple paths so each lap through can be pretty different from the last.

Super Smash Bros.- This game came outta nowhere when it was released.  I don't know how I found out about it, but I bought it from my local Babbages at launch not quite knowing what to expect and was blown away by the simple yet extremely fun multiplayer.
Same deal for me, I bought it around launch because a friend said the game was awesome. I thought that putting Mario into a fighting game was the worst idea ever, so I'm glad my friend kept insisting that I get the game so I was proven wrong.

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2011, 08:20:17 PM »
Blast Corps is one the best out there,
followed by
Turok Dinoasaur Hunter and Rage Wars

I dont rememeber the name at the moment, but there was a fighting game based on points and it had a fighting cow and it just so happened to be out around the same time as Kung Pow!

Hands down awesomeness = Forsaken 64
Hands Down Quirky non mario adventure title = Legend of the Mystical Ninja <-Freakin rocked
Hands Down best non cart racing game = Wave Race 64 and then Hydro Thunder (4 player action there)
Hands Down Best Arcade Racer = San Fransisco Rush or Rush 2
Hands Down offbeat fighter = War Gods

Mortal Kombats had a good run both with the Trilogy (my favorite version) and MK 4
Street Fighter had a brief appearence in the crossover Capcom Vs Snk 2 pro
pilotwings is a nice slow paced game

p.s.  Beetle Adventure racing was a solid racer, but a little drifty for me.

Rocket Robot on wheels, was a fun game but not memorable.

Really, if you have anyone to play with and you like FPS games, look below

NO order
1)Forsaken 64
2)Perfect Dark
3)Turok Rage Wars

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:22:14 PM by BwrJim! »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 08:37:39 PM »
Anyone remember the commercials for Super Smash Bros.? It had Mario, Pikachu, Yoshi, and Donkey Kong holding hands while skipping through a field and The Turtles song "Happy Together" plays. Then they turn and start beating the crap out of each other. I think that was the first time I heard of the game and I was hooked. 12 of my favorite Nintendo characters in a fighting game? I wasn't familiar with Ness or Captain Falcon (I never played EarthBound or the F-Zero games), but I loved the game. Samus quickly became my favorite, and I racked up over 500 hours with her (over 600 in Melee). I wonder why Nintendo did not re-use the Hyrule Castle stage in Melee or Brawl since that was my favorite stage in the first game.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2011, 12:34:42 AM »
Anyone remember the commercials for Super Smash Bros.? It had Mario, Pikachu, Yoshi, and Donkey Kong holding hands while skipping through a field and The Turtles song "Happy Together" plays. Then they turn and start beating the crap out of each other. I think that was the first time I heard of the game and I was hooked. 12 of my favorite Nintendo characters in a fighting game? I wasn't familiar with Ness or Captain Falcon (I never played EarthBound or the F-Zero games), but I loved the game. Samus quickly became my favorite, and I racked up over 500 hours with her (over 600 in Melee). I wonder why Nintendo did not re-use the Hyrule Castle stage in Melee or Brawl since that was my favorite stage in the first game.

My wife had never played any smash bros games until tonight when i gave her a tutorial on brawl, but she always remembered that commercial (so did I).  I wish Nintendo used more creative advertising.  The Monster hunter commercial is the closest thing to creative I've seen in regards to Advertising for any Wii Games.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2011, 12:46:01 AM »
There are a lot of criticisms that could be leveled at the Mario Kart Wii commercial, but lack of creativity wasn't one of them.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2011, 03:09:29 AM »
There are a lot of criticisms that could be leveled at the Mario Kart Wii commercial, but lack of creativity wasn't one of them.

Do you remember what channels you saw these commercials on?  I just saw them on youtube, and I do agree they're memorable, but I never saw them during the time Mariokart was actually being released.  Just my personal experience.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2011, 03:54:43 AM »
Wow, I won a hat in that contest as well. It was actually done in Shockwave (before Flash). We archived it here.
That's right, it was Shockwave.  I spent so much time playing that.

One more I forgot about was Harvest Moon 64.  That game was so good, it took what was good about the original and built upon it and the characters in the game were really good.  I had such high hopes for the series going forward but no Harvest Moon game has come close to capturing the magic of Harvest Moon 64 in my opinion, though the I haven't played many of the recent games in the series other than the Rune Factory games. 

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2011, 06:46:43 PM »
Do you remember what channels you saw these commercials on?  I just saw them on youtube, and I do agree they're memorable, but I never saw them during the time Mariokart was actually being released.  Just my personal experience.
I know I saw one of them on the telly, which I believe was late at night. The main show I watched late at night was Late Night with Conan, so it was likely during that show.

Street Fighter had a brief appearance in the crossover Capcom Vs Snk 2 pro
That was a PlayStation game, not Nintendo 64.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2011, 06:56:23 PM »
That was a PlayStation game, not Nintendo 64.

Capcom vs. SNK 2 was released on Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, GameCube, and Xbox. But your general point is correct in that it was not a N64 game. Capcom never released a fighting game on N64 and SNK never released any games on the system.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2011, 07:03:05 PM »
I just assumed it was on PlayStation since he was listing Nintendo 64 games, and got it mixed up with another game from the same generation, but it looks like he may have slipped in memories of early sixth generation games as well. I looked up the movie Kung Pow! and it was released in 2002, so the unnamed fighting game he mentioned was also likely on PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast, or GameCube.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2011, 09:29:46 AM »
Ok, so one game I forgot to mention that I haven't seen on here is Gauntlet Legends.  I played this game for hours on end with my cousins when they came to visit.  By far the most fun version of the series i've played, although not nearly as fun without people to play it with.

So if there was a comprehensive list of NWR forum must-have N64 games, it would include the following:

Banjo –Kazooie 
BattleTanx 
Beetle Adventure Racing 
Blast Corps 
Bomberman 64 
Doom 64 
Excitebike 64 
Extreme-G 
F-Zero X 
Gauntlet Legends 
Goldeneye 
Hydro Thunder 
Jet Force Gemini 
Legend of the Mystical Ninja 
Mario Kart 64 
Mario Party 
Mortal Kombat 4 
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber 
Paper Mario 
Perfect Dark 
Pilotwings 
Pokemon stadium 
Quake II 
Rocket: Robot on Wheels 
Rogue Squadron 
Rush 2049 
Star Wars Episode I Pod Racer 
Starfox 64 
Super Mario 64 
Super Smash Bros. 
Superman 64 (lol) 
Tetrisphere 
The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 
The New Tetris 
Turok (1,2,3) 
War Gods 
Waverace 64 
Wetrix
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:31:30 AM by lolmonade »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 10:16:37 AM »
After Pokemon Stadium how could Nintendo get it so horribly wrong...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
The Nintendo 64 was literally the perfect and I would argue still is the perfect party game system.  So many games were literally a party in a box.

Games that I really enjoyed:

Perfect Dark:  Yes Goldeneye is a better single player experience, but Perfect Dark was the best console FPS of that era and a real joy to play with friends. 

Super Mario 64:  Still one of the best 3D platformers ever crafted and I believe this game deserved a 3D remake before OoT really needed. 

F-Zero and Super Mario Kart 64:  Both very different racing games, but if you have both your racing desires are fully met for anything.  F-Zero 64 is probably the best game in the franchise, incredibly deep, amazing gameplay, and track design is the original and plentiful.  Super Mario Kart however, is the best Mario Kart for weapon balance and racing balance...although some of the tracks are just not as fun as later installments.

Bomberman 64:  Sure many people didn't like the 3D take on the game, I personally loved it...and I think all the Bomberman games on the Nintendo 64 were fun. 

Then there were tons of other unique games like Tetrisphere, Blast Corps, Conkers Bad Fur Day...that really rounded out the N64 lineup.  Actually the Nintendo 64 lineup is a fantastic collection of games...the only thing missing was JRPG which today doesn't matter but back then they were huge selling points.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2011, 05:52:50 PM »
So if there was a comprehensive list of NWR forum must-have N64 games, it would include the following:
(list)
Personally there are 255 more games I'd add to that list, but that's just me.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2011, 06:08:30 PM »
(list)
Personally there are 255 more games I'd add to that list, but that's just me.

I don't deny that there are more great games, but these are all the ones that are listed so far.  I'll gladly hear about more great N64 games, as I'm currently working on amassing a collection since I recently got a used system

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2011, 11:00:38 PM »
Shadow Man. If you can get through the repetitive parts and annoying sound effects, it has some effectively creepy moments. I loved it.