Author Topic: North American 3DS Launch to Boast 16 Different Games  (Read 4181 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
North American 3DS Launch to Boast 16 Different Games
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:58:02 AM »

Three Nintendo-published titles will be out on launch day with Steel Diver on day one.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/25457

Nintendo revealed the North American 3DS launch lineup today, and it includes Pilotwings Resort, Steel Diver, Nintendogs + Cats in three versions, and 13 other games. Each title will be available for $39.99.

Ubisoft and EA are the only other two companies with more than one title at launch. Ubisoft has four (Asphalt 3D, Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D, Rayman 3D, and Ghost Recon Shadow Wars), and EA has two (Madden and The Sims 3D).

Other notable titles include Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition and Super Monkey Ball 3D. See below for the full list:

• Pilotwings Resort (Nintendo)
  • Steel Diver (Nintendo)
  • Nintendogs + Cats (Nintendo)
  • Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (Capcom)
  • Madden NFL Football (EA)
  • The Sims 3 (EA)
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D (Konami)
  • LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (LucasArts)
  • Ridge Racer 3D (Namco Bandai)
  • Super Monkey Ball 3D (Sega)
  • Bust-A-Move Universe (Square Enix)
  • Samurai Warriors Chronicles (Tecmo Koei)
  • Asphalt 3D (Ubisoft)
  • Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D (Ubisoft)
  • Rayman 3D (Ubisoft)
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars (Ubisoft)
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: North American 3DS Launch to Boast 16 Different Games
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 10:41:38 AM »
So it's confirmed they are raising the price $10? DS games were usually $30 and some were $35 (and of coarse Square Enix used $40). That is disappointing and something I hope doesn't become standard as I will buy even fewer 3DS games than I did DS.

Of the launch games, I can see myself getting Street Fighter, Pilotwings, LEGO, and maybe Monkey Ball.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 11:04:18 AM »
Ugh, Ubisoft is releasing Rayman 2 *again*? I was a fan of the game on the Dreamcast, and the Nintendo DS port had some problems....but really, Ubisoft?

Also, the press release implies Pilotwings Resort features only Wuhu Island and no other locales. If so, my anticipation for that game has significantly diminished.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 11:23:20 AM »
Raising the US prices makes sense, the fall of the US Dollar made 30$ much, MUCH cheaper than what those games cost in the rest of the world and likely resulted in a lot of importing. DS games launch at 40€ here which is almost twice as much as your cheapass 30$.

On the other hand raising 3DS game prices compared to the DS makes no sense in Europe where that would make them more expensive than Wii games (also 40€).

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 12:30:25 PM »
I expect some of these third-party games could be up to $45, which is pretty crazy. At least Mario Kart is good news -- should be a great test for the system's new online system. I hope there are gameplay innovations and at least the option for more balanced A.I. as well.

If anyone's wondering about the numeric discrepancy in launch titles in this article, Nintendo counts 18 because they are including Nintendogs + Cats as three different titles.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 12:35:16 PM »
The only game I'm really interested in is Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition. Much as I may hate to say it, but it looks like I may hold off on getting a 3DS for a few months.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 12:46:13 PM »
Mostly the same as the UK line-up, with a couple of exceptions, such as the inclusion of Steel Diver.

As far as launch day offerings go, it isn't too bad, though the ones I'm really interested in are a few months down the road.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 12:55:12 PM »
$40 a game for only Wuhu Island?  No way.  This is not the Pilotwings I wanted!  This isn't a confirmation but at this point I'm 90% sure there won't be any other areas....and Pilotwings is the only launch game I'm interested in...

Perhaps I'll cancel my preorder.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 12:56:21 PM »
Basically, yeah. North America has 4 launch games EU doesn't have (Steel Diver, Madden NFL Football, Bust-A-Move Universe, Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D). EU has 1 launch game NA doesn't (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D). Most of the games are the same though, so that is a good sign.

I haven't actually pre-ordered yet because I don't know where I will buy the system from yet.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 01:39:12 PM »
It's a better launch lineup than the DS had but it feels like Nintendo needs a big title.  Those three first party titles just don't cut it.  They're also too casual focused.  Nintendo isn't offering something at launch for the core.  Pilotwings could have been it but they seem to have transformed it into a Mii game.  We're getting some big groans from existing Pilotwings fans on this thread.

Capcom is picking up the slack but SSFIV is a port.  You don't NEED a 3DS to play it.  I don't see any real disadvantage to skipping this launch.

If Nintendo had gotten Kid Icarus in there then they would have something.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 01:58:39 PM »
Steel Diver is a glorified iPhone game, and they want us to pay $40 for it?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline pololmejor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 04:39:54 PM »
So... no Ocarina of Time on day 1 :'(

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 04:43:59 PM »
So... no Ocarina of Time on day 1 :'(

Considering Ocarina of Time has been available to you for over 12 years, you shouldn't be that disappointed that the $40 3DS port will be arriving a little late.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 04:44:51 PM »
I think Nintendo confirmed that last month when they said it was not gonna be out in the launch window. Too bad though, I would have considered picking it up.

brood, it's gonna be much better than the N64 original.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 09:12:31 PM »
It's a better launch lineup than the DS had but it feels like Nintendo needs a big title.  Those three first party titles just don't cut it.  They're also too casual focused. Nintendo isn't offering something at launch for the core.  Pilotwings could have been it but they seem to have transformed it into a Mii game.  We're getting some big groans from existing Pilotwings fans on this thread.

Steel Diver is a core game.  If a sidescrolling Submarine simulator action game isn't considered core to you anymore then you might as well stop buying anything from Nintendo since everything they make is a casual game by your definition.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 09:24:10 PM »
Steel Diver is a core game.  If a sidescrolling Submarine simulator action game isn't considered core to you anymore then you might as well stop buying anything from Nintendo since everything they make is a casual game by your definition.
Hey, if you're not offering something good, then that could be construed as not offering it at all.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 03:13:56 PM »
Hey, if you're not offering something good, then that could be construed as not offering it at all.

I've heard mixed things on it, sounds like a game that is more of a wait and see. Really though I am fine wiht the launch lineup though I would LOVE pilotwings I am waiting for confirmation that it will not just be the flying game in Wii Sports Resort and at teh very least there are some new areas to explore at WuHu island
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 03:30:59 PM »

Agreed.  It just doesn't look like much.  Bad games don't count.

You want a core submarine action game?  Check out In The Hunt.  This looks like a tech demo with 10 minutes of gameplay.

It doesn't matter because this is how launches work now.  Everyone, not just Nintendo, has figured out that at the beginning you've got a bunch of early adopters that will buy it no matter what.  So you don't have to offer much at launch provided you deliver the goods later on.  The 3DS launch will be successful.  There are enough people that would buy it on day one even if the only game was Pictochat 3D.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 08:59:25 PM »

Most of the previews have actually said the game is good.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai