Author Topic: Official thread:Infium labs Phantom system  (Read 6302 times)

Offline coolio39

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Official thread:Infium labs Phantom system
« on: May 03, 2003, 06:07:59 AM »
Official Site

Any specualtions, rumors or anything of that such post it here. this sounds like an interesting idea, make sure to check out the site.
For half nude, barely clad, martial artist women  playing volleyball , there is no power greater then X

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
RE: Official thread:Infium labs Phantom system
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2003, 08:14:27 AM »
somebody should get to work with photoshop on that pic....

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2003, 03:13:04 PM »
it seems like it will basically be a pc inside of a box used specifically for gaming and entertainment uses only
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2003, 06:29:59 PM »
I can't believe we're still talking about this. It's never going to be released.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Munky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2003, 03:43:25 AM »
If this thing is released, it'll flop.
The memory of a lost loved one remains with you always, but it's a wound that time heals. It's like a scar....it never really disappears, time just soothes the memory.

ChaoticMunky.com

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2003, 05:21:23 PM »
you know..ui doubt it will make a dent in the market...but hey i wanna at least see it.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2003, 06:44:59 PM »
Sounds like a novel idea... bring PC games and ported (aka - ripped) console games into the market under one system... but I don't think it'll last long in the console market.

Unlike the XBox, I don't think this baby has enough funding to push it through the doors of life.
Gaming is more than entertainment, it's a lifestyle.

USA Allied Wallpaper

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2003, 11:00:44 AM »
if it does come oput...i might just get one...ultra expensive collectors item!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline LordVagabond

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2003, 12:13:19 AM »
News is, that Infinium will officially unveil the Phantom at E3, which is less than a week away. I guess, as they always say on TV... "stay tuned"

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2003, 07:12:46 PM »
The market is already saturated with just three consoles out. Either this Phantom console will gather a very small following, or it's just some small-time company's way of distracting the Big Three. I smell a conspiracy.
will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2003, 09:01:13 PM »
3 huge companies - Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft - are in the process of beating the crap out of each other. It isn't wise for a tiny little company like "Infinium Labs" to jump out right in the crossfire, because they're gonna go down before the other three even notice this newcomer.
Sony is not going to go bankrupt anytime soon. Neither is Microsoft. Neither is Nintendo. All three of these companies will still be there for over a hundred and possibly hundreds of years unless some sort of economic catastrophe occurs. Heck, Nintendo has already seen 3 centuries, the 19th, 20th, and now the 21st. Sony will be a hundred years old soon enough, and MS has more than enough money to buy its way into a hundred years of existence.
Infinium Labs on the other hand, has what? A little Piggy Bank with 2 million bucks of quarters inside? Some parternships it got with other big companies? Hah, that doesn't count the same as the billions upon billions these other companies have stored up.
4 consoles? Can you imagine the amount of funding you'd need to stay alive? If a company like Ford Motor Company or Wal-Mart decides to make games all of sudden, that's fine, cause they have the money. But Infinium Labs not only has to sell its console, it has to establish its company. And you can't do that in today's console market, no siree. Nintendo was already big corporation with lots of nerdy businessmen (not to mention Disney as a partner) like the Yamauchi family before they got into games. Sony was well known and established before it got into games. Microsoft was owning the PC world before it got into games.
Infinium Labs isn't going to make it.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2003, 08:15:13 AM »
Wha- This thing is real? I thought it was a fake from what they said about it. I think they were talking about unrealistic stats for the device (something like 3000 times the power of a P4 3GHz...). And it's going to use online downloads ONLY. The pic of it they had at some time looked fake and comments like "whoa, they should learn texturing" flew around. By the way, what controller would allow playing PC games as well as PS2/GC/XB?!?

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2003, 01:39:07 PM »
One with enough buttons
Most PC let you set your own button configurations, so it shouldn't be a problem there.
As for the consoles....Two clickable analog sticks, one d-pad, four or six face buttons, a start button, a select button, two shoulder buttons, and two clickable triggers, and you're good to go.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2003, 09:34:32 PM »
+mouse and additional keys for PC.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2003, 12:46:00 AM »
Just have two freaking USB ports so you can hook some standard keyboards and mice to it...not to difficult. If it can support everything it says it can, then it shouldn't be hard to have built in drivers for all the common optical mice...

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2003, 01:21:37 PM »
this thing is stupid
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2003, 01:26:02 PM »
HA HA!  i was just thinking, watch infinium labs unveil the really old phantom system that was in Brazil in the NES age.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline AngusPodgorny

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2003, 01:17:10 PM »
I remember reading about this on Slashdot quite a while ago.  The concensus of opinion is that it's either a hoax, or just a PC in a pretty box.  If you read Infinium Labs' press releases, they certainly sound fake; it was like a bunch of buzz words thrown together without really saying anything.  I think it's a joke, personally.

-Angus

Offline Dolphin64X

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2003, 05:01:36 PM »
Well, there's one way to find out:

They said it'd be at E3.  Is it?  Can anybody get a confirmation on this?

Personally, I think a fourth console is not what this industry needs.  Three is stretching it enough as it is.  
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us," said one Xbox to the other.

"Heck, if Microsoft packaged that eight-minute playable level as a full game it would rank higher than just about any other Xbox game since the original Halo."
-IGNXBOX

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2003, 04:57:36 PM »
Cool site though. Very sleek and futuristic.
Nintendo should make the next console with a theme of Minority Report, The One, The 5th Element, and Star Wars.
Sony made the PS2 using the theme of I think it was the sea and night time. I think. SOmthing like that.

A fourth console? No. Nice design, but no. They should sell this design to Nintendo.

EDIT: Oh and look! They say that they're gonna be the industry leader! Awww, how cute!
And if you look at the bottom of the site, it has a counter. A whopping 60 people have been there. Probably only 6 people refreshing the page.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2003, 08:40:48 PM »
Probably the six people on this thread, too.

Anyway, it wasn't at E3. They lied. Or at least, it wasn't to my knowledge. Perhaps the just used a fake Phantom and that site to get into E3 and then started playing games?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2003, 09:56:24 AM »
Apparently it was there in some corner...Gamespy had a blurb about their booth, or lack their of....   I can't find the link though, but its fairly recent, I think i got it in todays newsletter...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2003, 04:53:24 PM »
http://gamespy.com/e32003/feature/other/1002769/

Unfortunately, i'm too uninterested in the Phantom to post any sort of comments about it's entry into the market.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."