Author Topic: What do you think of IGN's Top 100 games ever?  (Read 14191 times)

Offline Gamefreak

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: What do you think of IGN's Top 100 games ever?
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2003, 05:47:40 PM »
Update: holy crap Soul Calibur and Smash Bros. Melee are only in the thirties...and they both beat Halo. If all these awesome games are in the thirties...what the heck will be left for the top 30? I smell a lot of old skool Nintendo hits..

Offline Unicron

• View Profile
What do you think of IGN's Top 100 games ever?
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2003, 11:54:47 PM »
ChronoTrigger (not CROSS!) better be within the 20's, and I hope commandos made it in somewhere, though I feel Thief II should have been lower.
Currently Playing:
Metroid Prime
Sonic Mega Collection
Zelda: Windwaker
Chronotrigger (I will play this game until my hands no longer function, but even then, I will choose to stare at the screen)

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2003, 11:59:00 PM »
Every game publication that has ever existed, ever, has done a top 100, and I invariably end up rolling my eyes and frowning at their choices because their opinion often varies from my own.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2003, 12:36:59 AM »
I was surprised Halo was ranked 39th! Heh

Smash Bros. Melee higher than Soul Calibur?  Gimme a break...

Also, I've noticed that not one Mario and Zelda game from 31-100.  Hmmm, I wonder how many will be ranked in the top 30?

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2003, 03:49:23 PM »
Well ssbm may not be as complex as Soul Calibur, but that doesn't matter. The reason people like those two games so much is because they both awesome multiplayer with infinite replay value, and in the end I guess they just decided SSBM melee is more fun. Plus, you can do 1 on 1 duels if you want, but four player is a big advantage.

Update, both Super Mario World games are in the 20's, as well Metroid Prime, Metal Gear Solid, and Punch-Out. Final Fantasy X was in the 90's, and they called that the best FF game of the modern era, and FF3 (6) is already on the list...doesn't seem like seven will make it...

I smell lots of zelda games coming up...Super Metroid should be really really high up.

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2003, 04:31:27 PM »
Must be int op twenty.

OOT

WW

FF 7

Super Mario World

LTTP

SHould have been:

Halo

MP

"Just a little gift from your friendly nieghborhood evil doer." - Me.

~ If you like serious, good quality Zelda rpgs, AIM HeroPiccolo and I'll give you a link. ~

Offline mariomeatball

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2003, 04:34:55 PM »
I've really enjoyed the list... makes me remember old games... a tear came to my eye today when i saw Tecmo Bowl, what a beautiful game

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2003, 04:44:13 PM »
Ahh, Tecmo Bowl, now that was a great football game.  Reminds me of the time we had a Tecmo Tournament in the football locker room of my school, good times.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2003, 08:59:01 PM »
Ok, 100 to 11 are now up, we gotta wait till friday for the top 10. Here are all the Nintendo games:

91. F-Zero
84. Kid Icarus
80. Excitebike
74. Pilotwings
72. Pokemon Red/Blue
59. Advance Wars
57. Star Fox
46. Conker's Bad Fur Day
36. Super Smash Bros. Melee
33. Wave Race 64
28. Super Mario World
24. Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2
23. Metroid Prime
22. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
19. Goldeneye 007
14. Super Mario Kart

Notice that no Zelda games are on it yet...There will probably be 2 on the top 10, along with Super Metroid, Mario 64, and probably an NES Super Mario...

Offline AngusPodgorny

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2003, 05:20:20 AM »

EW's top 100 was a joke.  Grand Theft Auto 3 and Madden 2003 in the top 5?  Please...

Zelda and Mario deserve top 5, certainly.  Although I personally prefer Zelda to Mario, Mario is more of a cultural phenomenon (movies, TV shows, et al) and has a wider appeal than Zelda, so I'd have to put Mario above Zelda.  In this respect, and also considering the fact that I'm an old fart, I'd have to consider putting Pac-man above both Zelda and Mario.  Not only was Pac-man a cultural phenomemon, it helped create the video game industry as we know it.  In the 80s, it seemed like every restaurant in America had a Pac-man (or Ms. Pac-man) machine, and who could resist popping a quarter in and trying your luck?

-Angus

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2003, 04:27:16 PM »
Why the heck are you talking about EW's Top 100?

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2003, 04:43:07 PM »
Seems like a good list.  Game definitely are on there that I did not even know about, like "Alone in the Dark" but the reason (that it pioneered the horror genre) is good enough for that game to be on the list.  

Chrono Trigger ranks in at 12.  That game is, simply put, the best RPG made as of yet in my opinion. It's nice to see it up there in the top-twenty.  That is fair compared to where EGM placed the game on their list last year (somewhere between 40 and 50, I think).
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2003, 05:06:41 PM »
IGN did mention that Chrono Trigger was the best RPG
It looks like RPG's and FPS's are done for the list, with Chrono Trigger and Goldeneye at the top of their respective genres...
We still have yet to see about adventure and platform games though...I smell a lot coming up

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2003, 10:47:20 PM »
TIE Fighter #11

yay!

That is one of the best games I've played.  I have to say the Top 100 doesn't look too bad, they are not forgetting the old classic games.

I wonder how many Zelda games will be in the Top Ten?  Looks like 3...

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2003, 11:09:17 PM »
3 or 2...Or better yet they will put the whole series in one slot. That way everyone wins; the other games don't get slots stolen, and all the Zelda games get the recognition they deserve...but so far they haven't grouped series's together....
Only ten slots left, and they haven't even mention any Zelda games, Super Metroid, any NES Mario game, Super Mario 64, Starcraft, Tetris, aaaahhh too many good games for only 10 slots!

Offline SCF

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2003, 08:07:04 AM »
Well so far i've been happy with most of the numbers. Tony Hawk 2 at 20 is very good, GTA 3, MGS also have good numbers. One that I'm impress with its number is Mike Tyson's Punch Out! and not because I think the game is lame or something like that, but I'm impress that by giving this game the number 22 in the top 100 is a very respectable thing to do. I have fond memories of this game when I remember going to a friend's house to watch him fight Macho Man, King Hippo and others ( I didn't had a NES at that time I had a Sega Master System!!! ).Now if Nintendo makes a new Punch Out game for the GC I'll be in h eaven. Metroid Prime in the number 23 spot deserv that number too.Chrono Trigger better than Mario Kart? hmmmm I don't think so. I would have switch those slots. From what I heard Castlevania SOTN is the best castlevania ever made so I guess that number is right too. The only thing that bothers me is... where is MK and Street Fighter 2, lets hope its in the top 10 cause i've not seeing them in the list. If someone has correct me if i'm wrong. A sure bet is that we will see a Zelda, Mario,FF game in the top 10, im not so sure if we'll wee a DK Country in the top 10 but here's to guessing.
thks infernal monkey for my avatar

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2003, 11:47:25 AM »
surprisingly, i did agree with the top 5 or so.  I don't understand why X-Com was so high up in the list, I've played it, it was a great game, but not THAT great..

heh, nintendo ruled the list... as they should =)

still a very flawed list in general... had alot of the games that deserved to be up there on it, but the ranking and area was just very awkward.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2003, 12:38:39 PM »
Wind Waker should be on there if MP and Halo are....it was an ok list....how about Rush n attack or Shadowrun?
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2003, 01:07:47 PM »
Wow.  Gret top ten list if you ask me.  Super Mario Bros deserves that spot.

Omen, Read the Ocarina of Time summary again.  They decided to use just the best one out of the 3D Zeldas, my guess.  That is, and should be, Ocarina of Time.  Metroid Prime is the only 3D Metroid ever released.  
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Clonester

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2003, 02:41:20 PM »
Remember that the criteria for this list is based more on how much the game influenced a genre or the gaming world moreso than how great a game is (although the latter weighs heavily as well). Thus, Ocarina Of Time was given the #2 (not Wind Waker, even if it is the better game) because it had a tremendous influence on 3d games, huge environments, camera angles, controls & camera, graphics, etc. Mario Bros was #1 because it is the very game that defined modern games. It is the "mother" really of the games and platformers we play today, even if there were games before it. And Super Metroid and Metroid Prime were listed separately because they each added different things. Ocarina Of Time and Wind Waker were mentioned together because the things they have established in the gaming world are quite similar in many regards.

I was really impressed with this list. One of the best Top 100 lists I've seen, and they kept to their criteria well. It was nice to see Chrono Trigger at #12, the second best RPG on the list, and only because FF2 (or 4) was really the first huge modern type RPG. FF2 really brought character development and plot development to the fore, and was one of the first to do so. Chrono Trigger is perhaps gaming perfection, especially for RPG's. It took everything and made it PERFECT. It is still considered by many, including myself, not only the best RPG ever, but also the best game ever. If it was a best game list, I would have liked to see it higher, but it was a perfect placement based on the criteria IGN set for the list.  
Most Favourite Game Of All Time: Chrono Trigger

Nick Frizzell- Gamecube Heaven Preview Writer
www.gamecubeheaven.tk

Offline phil1984

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2003, 05:35:38 PM »
0verall I liked this list, much better than some of the other top 100 lists that have been circulating however (as always) I feel that there were some great games that missed the cut..... Here are just a few of them:

Marathon (Bungie):  Before Halo and when Bungie was a Mac only company they released a first person shooter that was more advanced than any at the time.  It had an evolving story line that was unheard of for a shooter back then.  I would of placed it around 50th.

Donkey Kong Country (Rare):  The game that saved the SNES from an early exit.  Kick ass graphics and great gameplay to Boot.  I would of placed it somewhere around 80th

Myth (Bungie):  Bungie continued there fine form when they released Myth for Mac and Pc back in 1997.  It was a RTS game with a difference; it was purley tactical, no need to micromanage at all.  A top 50 game for sure.

Super Mario Bros 3 (Nintendo):  This was a travesty of justice in my opinion!  By far and away my favourite Mario Brothers.  I would of placed it top 5 at least.

Escape Velocity (Ambrosia):  Another Mac only game.  Think of it as an updated Elite (if you know that game)  A classic game that made my PC using friends extremely jelous back in 1996.  I would of placed it Top 50.

Total Anhilation (Cave Dog): In my mind as good an RTS as any, definatly up there with Starcraft.  I would of placed it Top 40.

Heroes III (3DO):  A great Turn Based Strategy game.  It really should of been found somewhere in the list.

Well those are just a few of the games I would of placed in the Top 100 but overall I am pretty impressed with IGN's effort.

Offline VideoGamerX

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2003, 06:20:24 PM »
I can't believe they thought Final Fantasy 2 was better than Final Fantasy 3, and that they didn't even list Final Fantasy 7. They did bother to list Final Fantasy 10... very strange.

Furthermore, no mention of Donkey Kong Country. They had some brainfarts on leaving certain titles out. They listed Super Mario Brothers and seem to figure that Super Mario World is way on down the list. They neglected Super Mario Brothers 3.

I also don't recall seeing the original Legend of Zelda. They did bother to list the original Super Mario Brothers.

It's subtle inconcistencies like these that hurt the list. They needed a little more than a couple of weeks to come up with this, but it's a good list. I'll say this much, there are a ton of games deserving to be on that list that did make it. I'm just surprised at some of the ranking. SEGA got a bit of the shaft when it came to Sonic the Hedgehog, but all of those games are great. I'm very happy to see Street Fighter II getting some props.

Offline dmcollin

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2003, 07:17:11 PM »
i personally loved ff2, ff3 is great but ff2 was ff1 with a more linear path and a very good story.
i am a little confused though, did they bundle games to gether for system, like mario 1-3 and n64 versions of zelda?  Because their list seems a little off.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2003, 08:04:11 PM »
I agree, FF7 shoulda been on there.

WW isn't on there because it's too recent, not because it's a bad game.

I also wish Grim Fandango was in the top 10 somewhere... but oh well.

And OoT is overrated. I went back and played it a few weeks ago, and it just didn't click like the first time I played it, it just wasn't fun with all the hype worn off. Great games should be timeless... but this one wasn't. I think too many people are relying on their great memories of the game. LttP definitely shoulda been higher than OoT, IMO.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2003, 08:21:20 PM »
I think OoT is timeless...I beat Master Quest and just as much fun as the first time.