Author Topic: New Zelda for GameCube... by Capcom?  (Read 6568 times)

Offline bonestormer

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
New Zelda for GameCube... by Capcom?
« on: May 02, 2003, 12:09:42 PM »
I've seen a number of rumors floating around that a new Zelda will be announced at E3 (and playable at Spaceworld), just that it will be developed by Capcom?!! It will be a more "realistic" style like the Link footage shown at a past E3 (or was it Spaceworld).

It's one thing to shell out franchises like F-Zero and Star Fox to outside developers to do, but this is Zelda! Probably Nintendo's best and most respected franchise! I'm not sure I like this... no, I DON'T like this.... if true. Cacpom already has done 2 Zelda's for GB (and a 3rd for GBA is coming), so they do have 'experience' with it. Blarg.

Maybe it's just a rumor.... but this same source said two weeks back that Silicon Knights was doing MGS...... Quiter.

Offline Mingesium

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: New Zelda for GameCube... by Capcom?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 12:14:01 PM »
The rumor originated in the IGN Boards. I think that Fran said if you want to play a Capcom Zelda game, you better get a GBA.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 12:18:06 PM »
Capcom has been making a new GBA Zelda game since sometime in 2001 and it will be shown in some form at E3. This was confirmed by Miyamoto sometime back. Capcom stopped working on it shortly to work on The Four Swords but after that was done started working on it again. This is all confirmed stuff.  
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 12:31:05 PM »
I've said before, don't expect a GC Zelda at E3.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2003, 02:09:28 PM »
Dont expect it, that shape to come thign was kinda a hint...but i said earlier..they could have cleverly stacked pokemon on top of each other or are releasing another smash bros. or are doing soemthign else with link. Maybe the next hero of time game wont be called the legen of zelda...maybe this one wont have her in it..heheh.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2003, 02:35:21 PM »
I doubt you will see a console Zelda game from anyone except for EAD...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2003, 02:39:25 PM »
if it has nothing to do with the zelda plotline like majora's mask what is the problem?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2003, 03:03:48 PM »
I think gamefreak just meant Nintendo doesn't want to have to put their trust in anyone else when making a console Zelda game. Handheld titles can be developed relatively quick, but Nintendo would want to do the big games themselves.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Big_Pimp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2003, 03:09:21 PM »
If Nintendo did let Capcom develop a new GC Zelda game, Shigeru Miyamoto would oversee the development of the game closely.

Offline TrekGeekMid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2003, 03:21:42 PM »
I haven't seen the page in question...but what if the picture of Link in NP refers to the GBA game? Is there any wording or information that cleary links the pic to a GC game?
Live Wrong and Perspire

Andy's Random Stuff

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2003, 03:27:30 PM »
Well the Link could be forshadowing a GC or GBA version depending on the circumstances...

1) GBA game if Nintendo believes its a surprise to have a whole new Zelda game on the GBA(even though we know its been in development, a majority of gamers aren't as hardcore as we are )

2) GC game if *above* is false(Ninty believes a majority of their readers have acknowledged the GBA Zelda)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2003, 03:56:19 PM »
I think I may have started this rumour, but it was wishful thinking...although I wouldn't be totally surprised to see it happen.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Nsider

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2003, 04:38:59 PM »
WHAT THE HECK! Silicon Knights isn't quitting Nintendo! Where are YOUR sources?!?! Silicon knights is being aided by the maker of MGS (metal gear solid) and Shigeru Miyamoto to make an exclusive (AS IN GAMECUBE ONLY) Metal gear game. It already has a name as well. Plus S.K. can't leave, Nintendo owns them.

Greggory M.
The otehr consoles are cheating! Look who has the most amount of best selling games!!! NINTENDO! Look who's in 3rd place! NINTENDO! WTF!!! It makes no sense!

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2003, 04:47:45 PM »
Who said that?
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline cheers69

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2003, 04:48:06 PM »
sif anyone else will make a zelda game on gcn besides shigeru
currently playing: Mario Kart DD(LAN-Warp-Pipe)

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2003, 05:04:22 PM »
Well, 2D games are easy to make and stuff...But as for a 3D zelda, EAD is simply more talented, especially in the level design and game design area, than Capcom. Miyamoto "overseeing" a project isn't the same as him actually directing. He oversaw Metroid Prime by giving suggestions here and there and providing advice, but Retro actually did all the programming as well as level and game design. But for something that Shiggy actually directed, like Ocarina of Time, he is in charge of everything. He runs the show, tells people what to do, and is the vision behind the game...

Offline Joey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2003, 06:06:36 PM »

WHAT THE HECK! Silicon Knights isn't quitting Nintendo! Where are YOUR sources?!?! Silicon knights is being aided by the maker of MGS (metal gear solid) and Shigeru Miyamoto to make an exclusive (AS IN GAMECUBE ONLY) Metal gear game. It already has a name as well. Plus S.K. can't leave, Nintendo owns them.

I think you may be in the wrong thread because I don't see anything about that here.

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2003, 06:20:56 PM »
Metroid is one of Nintendo's treasured games as well and Nintendo handed that out to Retro.  Retro followed up Super Metroid, a game EGM hailed as the best game of all time.  If Nintendo does the same thing with Capcom and the next Zelda, I'd expect a good title from them nonetheless.
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2003, 06:45:11 PM »
First of all, Retro is a Nintendo company. Plus, this was their first game. They didn't have any prior games to draw from. So they simply turned to the other Metroid games. Capcom may try to put their own "touch" in and ruin it. And Metroid isn't anywhere near as treasured as Zelda. Sure, the fans may treasure it, but Zelda is far more profitable than Metroid. Next, Metroid was always FAR more popular in America than Japan, so it made sense to give it an American developer...

Offline mariomeatball

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2003, 06:48:00 PM »
So what? Nintendo gives the rights to Capcom to make a Zelda game? Do you really think Nintendo is going to let the game be anything less than any Zelda game has ever been? No. The only example of this happening was with those... Zelda's quest games or whatever back in the day... and thats NOT going to happen again... especially with a great developer like Capcom.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2003, 06:50:24 PM »
Capcom still isn't as good as EAD...

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2003, 06:54:39 PM »

Originally posted by: Gamefreak
First of all, Retro is a Nintendo company. Plus, this was their first game. They didn't have any prior games to draw from. So they simply turned to the other Metroid games. Capcom may try to put their own "touch" in and ruin it. And Metroid isn't anywhere near as treasured as Zelda. Sure, the fans may treasure it, but Zelda is far more profitable than Metroid. Next, Metroid was always FAR more popular in America than Japan, so it made sense to give it an American developer...

Retro isn't EAD, first of all.  And so what if this was their first game?  The group at Retro Studios mostly worked at other companies beforehand.  You are right, Metroid is not as profitable as Zelda.  But it does not make sense to give it to an American developer just because it is more popular in America.  What made it popular?  A Japanese developer.  
Just as Nintendo oversaw development for Prime, Nintendo will oversee development for the Capcom Zelda if this news is true.  

I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline AGENTDICKLAURENT

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2003, 06:55:46 PM »
Not as good as .. but good enough. They could easily do a Zelda for GC. Throw in an under guidance by Miyamoto or whatever, if it'll help.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2003, 07:51:59 PM »
the source was called "quiters" a british news agency....the man misread something. Make your words more consice so rumors dont start.

Offline Big_Pimp

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2003, 08:52:44 PM »
It would be nice to see a new Zelda game (in my opiniom) this year or possibly next, what with its "realistic" graphics, this may attract the none believers that simply refused to give The Wind Waker a chance.  This game may be another AAA title that sells even more Gamecubes here in the U.S., and take the 2nd place title away from Microsoft, but if it does come out it wont overthrow Sony from its throne as dictator of 1st (at least not this generation though...).