Author Topic: OFFICIAL Metal Gear Discussion  (Read 177991 times)

Offline Aretak

• Tekishuu
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:OFFICIAL Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes Discussion
« Reply #925 on: March 29, 2004, 11:40:14 AM »

Originally posted by: kingvudu

you mean ocelot doesn't put his hands around snake's waist as they drive into the sunset on a snow mobile??

You mean Otacon, right?
DVDs | Games

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't allow our peopl

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
RE: OFFICIAL Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes Discussion
« Reply #926 on: March 29, 2004, 06:05:07 PM »
I won't tell you what happens. You have to see it for yourself.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline solid_snake_222

• ^thats right^
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: March 30, 2004, 06:44:20 AM »
this game rocks

daft punk owns

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: March 31, 2004, 09:07:25 AM »
The commander room is really freaky.  Try shooting the armor and chairs.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 31, 2004, 11:16:32 AM »
As Mouse_clicker said, the boss fight in the Commander Room is the best in any game. Ever.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #930 on: March 31, 2004, 11:38:31 AM »
I don't see why.  Seemed like "classical" Konami fare.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: March 31, 2004, 11:50:15 AM »
TTS was my first Konami game. And it was really  more of a SK game but I have a feeling that was the same battle as the original game. I loved it.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #932 on: March 31, 2004, 12:23:00 PM »
SACRILEGE!!

Go back and play the old 8-bit Castlevanias, Contras, Ninja Turtles and whatnot!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: March 31, 2004, 04:52:52 PM »
If it makes you feel any better I played like 5 minutes of some Ninja Turtle game on the NES at my cousin's house. (Yes, I am ashamed as well)

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: March 31, 2004, 04:54:42 PM »
I actually played the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade game with 3 other people a few days ago- it was incredible. O_O The only downside was the game wouldn't let use go on after the second level- it didn't freeze or anything, it just didn't move on after we beat the boss.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: March 31, 2004, 05:02:41 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
it didn't freeze or anything, it just didn't move on after we beat the boss.

Doesn't that constitute freezing? Or does that now require explosions and smoke?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 01, 2004, 08:05:47 PM »
Well I just beat MGS about half an hour ago and I can safely say it's one of the best games I've ever played.  Now some are saying the original is better but I've never played it so I'll just be happy in my ignorance.

I do have a question though.  I've avoided reading this thread because of spoilers so if it's been answered well here it is again.

One of the FOXHOUND members is Decoy Octopus.  He sounded like a cool character in the manual but in the end he's virtually not in the game.  It seemed pretty weird for a major villian to have such a small role.  There's no confrontation or boss fight or anything.  Does anyone know if there were originally plans for that character to have a bigger role and a boss battle but for whatever reason (not enough time, hard to implement a disguise themed boss) were cancelled?  The whole situation with him just seems like a quick fix to trim time off the game.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 01, 2004, 08:17:09 PM »
Ian:

I thought the same exact thing. They played Decoy up in the instruction manual and all throughout the game and then you find out he died at the very beginning and you didn't even know it? I completely agree that it seems like Konami had planned for much more with him but had to cut him out and clean up the story a bit to make it look like they had planned it from the start. If that were the case, though, I'd imagine that both Hideo Kojima and Denis Dyack would want to expand Decoy Octopus's role to its original glory, so to speak. He was a really interesting character, anbd I wanted to know more about him.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: April 02, 2004, 10:01:32 AM »
ian:

i'm pretty sure decoy octopus was meant for the roll he played from the very beginning.  this was a character that didn't (as far as we know) have any other "super powers"--he wasn't an especially good fighter, he had no mind-tricks, he wasn't super fast/agile or super strong--other than being able to change his appearance.  the entire story revolves around foxhound tricking snake into thinking they armed the nuke so he would attempt to disarm it (when in reality he armed it for them because they were unable to do it themselves without the darpa cheif's password).  this is the reason liquid, raven and the others let him get as far as he did--if they had stopped him, they wouldn't be able to arm the nuke.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: April 02, 2004, 01:49:47 PM »
Yeah that did seem weird. I have a question of my own.

Why was Anderson attacked by FoxDie? Jim the Pentagon guy said that they were friends and hadn't programed FoxDie to kill him. We also know that Naomi altered FoxDie shortly before it was given to Snake. I assumed she did this to kill Snake, but then I realized that if she had programmed it to kill Liquid, it would have killed Solid as well. Perhaps she was trying to kill Anderson? Meh, just a theory. Anyone know for sure?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 02, 2004, 04:03:48 PM »
foxdie was programmed to target both the darpa chief (donald anderson) and the armstech president (kenneth baker).  the pentagon wanted to take out anyone who had knowledge of metal gear
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 03, 2004, 03:02:41 AM »
But Jim said he didn't want to do that. I realize it makes sense that they'd do that, but they were friends. Eh, whatever. Is all this FoxDie stuff concluded in MGS2? After all Snake was worried about it.

Offline Aretak

• Tekishuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 03, 2004, 05:17:32 AM »

Originally posted by: Berny
Is all this FoxDie stuff concluded in MGS2? After all Snake was worried about it.

It is not mentioned in Metal Gear Solid 2... at all.
DVDs | Games

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 03, 2004, 09:29:44 AM »
Are you kidding me?! That doesn't even make sense! There goes whatever interest I had in that game. Maybe Snake Eater will be better. And maybe I'll get a PS2. ^_^

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 03, 2004, 12:48:26 PM »
Ok i was about to  explain it but there was a major spoiler and the spoiler thing didnt work.

But I will say one thing. Watch the VERY end and you will hear something important.  
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: April 03, 2004, 01:00:08 PM »
I heard the end. Which reminds me of a comment and question. In Otacon's ending, Ocelot asks what he should do with the woman. TELL me that Meryl survived. <3 Meryl. I was so depressed when she died. I heard at the end that Ocelot said he got the vaccine, but he didn't mention Solid getting it to the best of my memory. Maybe I missed something?

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 03, 2004, 01:07:44 PM »

I heard the end. Which reminds me of a comment and question. In Otacon's ending, Ocelot asks what he should do with the woman. TELL me that Meryl survived. <3 Meryl. I was so depressed when she died. I heard at the end that Ocelot said he got the vaccine, but he didn't mention Solid getting it to the best of my memory. Maybe I missed something?

If you don't submit to the torture, Meryl lives, and you get the "good" ending.  As for the vaccine, Snake doesn't get it...it isn't revealed in The Twin Snakes if he is cured or not...but I can't remember if it is in Metal Gear Solid 2.

Offline Aretak

• Tekishuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 03, 2004, 01:08:10 PM »

No, in Otacon's ending, Meryl dies -- but that's not the official ending, the Meryl one is. Otacon doesn't die in the ending where Meryl lives... you simply don't see him escape from the base. However, the ending where Meryl lives is the one which Metal Gear Solid 2 continues from, as Otacon asks Snake how things are going between them during a Codec conversation. Also, in one particularly amusing scene near the end, Snake points to the bandanna on his head and says "Infinite ammo" when asked if he's got enough. That made me smile, and as you know the inifinite ammo bandanna is the prize for saving Meryl -- therefore, she lived. Kojima has also confirmed that Meryl did survive Shadow Moses, and that the Otacon ending was simply an alternate ending, and not the real one.

Oh, and I wouldn't worry too much about the FoxDie thing in Metal Gear Solid 2 either. It's set several years after the first, so any concerns Snake may have had will have been at the back of his mind by then. It's really not something which detracts from the story of the sequel. It's well worth picking up.
DVDs | Games

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: April 03, 2004, 01:24:57 PM »
I just realized something. I'll bet they're playing off Naomi's comment about not worrying about when you're going to die. She told Snake to just live. Maybe FoxDie is what will inevitably kill him in the end even if it's years afterwards.

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 04, 2004, 02:08:39 PM »
I am almost finished the game ...again.

I'm on very easy ( I just blasting through for the Camo ). So does anyone have all dog tags yet? I'm gonna try to get them all even though there is no reward.

WISH ME LUCK
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA