Author Topic: OFFICIAL Metal Gear Discussion  (Read 178836 times)

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:OFFICIAL Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes Discussion
« Reply #825 on: March 10, 2004, 11:57:17 AM »

Originally posted by: kingvudu
i actually got my copy in the mail from ebgames.com about 2 hours ago.  sadly, i'm at work and can't play until tonight.  five o'clock can't come soon enough ...

(for those of you keeping track, that means i'm at work right now.  shhh ... don't tell.)

What.... like your boss uses the same computer ..................... or does he?

hopefully I can snag me a copy today or during the week.
What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
RE: OFFICIAL Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes Discussion
« Reply #826 on: March 10, 2004, 02:21:01 PM »
Usually it takes about two days to get here since it ships from the US (I'm in Toronto), so I'll be able to pick it up Friday or Saturday.

*dies from waiting*

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 10, 2004, 03:03:11 PM »
just wanted to pop in really quit to say i've had the game in for about a half hour, and so far i haven't touched the controller, other than to select briefings.  i had forgotten how long the intro was.  maybe i'll get to play some time within the next hour.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #828 on: March 10, 2004, 03:07:16 PM »
I have it now, too.  Though it's not open yet cuz I'm typing this.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 10, 2004, 03:42:11 PM »
Damn, you people are lucky...be sure to post your thoughts on it when you get some time.  

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 10, 2004, 03:44:02 PM »
Just got my copy today and its... a new experience to say the least. I've been purposely avoiding any information about it; I want a 100 percent spoiler free experience.

Having never ever laid my hands on a stealth title, all I knew to expect was you can't go around guns ablazing. What I didn't expect  was having the #$@@ out of me if I don't hightail it if I'm caught. I actually have to think for a change!

The only experience that I can relate this to was to Resident Evil; in which they have less emphasis on combat (you might be saying 'duh!', but hey this is new to me.)

The cut scenes are as interesting as I'd thought they be. Check out the briefings, definatlely one of the better scenes I've seen (no pun intended.)

The only gripe is that David Hayter (Solid Snake) sounds like he's doing his best impression of Kurt Russel's Snake Plissken from the Escape from N.Y and L.A movies, though with less than spectacular results.. And for all 2 of you people who like rap, there seems to be some vocal relation to Ken Caniff. 'Nuff said.

All in all, a good 'solid' start (pun intended) to what hopes to be a great game.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 10, 2004, 03:55:44 PM »

Originally posted by: SearanoX
Usually it takes about two days to get here since it ships from the US (I'm in Toronto), so I'll be able to pick it up Friday or Saturday.

*dies from waiting*

I'm in Toronto and I'll get mine tomorrow(Thursday), well I did pre-order it so maybe that's why.

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 10, 2004, 03:59:40 PM »
Hmm, alright, then.  I'll check it out and see if it's at my local store tomorrow...but it is a smaller one so they get things earlier.  I don't want to end up going to a larger store like Zellers, you see...they have higher prices and they're a bit far for my tastes.  At least the store I go to is somewhat on my way home from school.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 10, 2004, 04:05:21 PM »
I will get mine from EB at Dufferin Mall for $59.99+tax, yet I did see it for $54.99+tax at amazon.ca but I didn't want to wait until next Monday or Tuesday for the game.

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
« Reply #834 on: March 10, 2004, 07:09:19 PM »
Beat the game today after playing it for about 12 hours(spring break). The only problem with it was my friend would not shut up and leave me alone to play it(he wanted to tell me everything about the game since he had already played the PSX version)

Overall it was totally worth it. I am going to replay the first half tomorrow and try and get better than I was my first time through(missed a ton of things)

Also Gamestop gave me that pre-order crap over the phone, EB didn't and had about 5 copies up for people without pre-orders.

Offline Shin Gallon

• View Profile
« Reply #835 on: March 10, 2004, 07:29:10 PM »
Snake's English voice sounds like that mostly because Hideo Kojima based the character of Solid Snake on Snake Plisskin in the first place (apparantly, Mr. Kojima is a huge "Escape from New York" fan, even going so far as to have Snake "disguise" himself as a character names "Iriquois Plisskin" in MGS2)).
Granted, I do prefer Snake's much deeper Japanese voice, Akai Otsuka, but I understand why David Hayter did his voice the way he did.
My only complaint (with all the English versions of the MGS games, actually) is Liquid Snake's awful English voice...when I think uber-tough terrorist military leader, I DON'T think "Y'know, the guy that did Leonardo on the Ninja Turtles cartoon would be a perfect voice for him". The guy that did Goliath on Gargoyles would have better matched Liquid's Japanese voice, and fit the character better in general.
Overall, I'm loving Twin Snakes. I've wanted a MGS2 quality remake of the first game since I saw MGS2, and any fears I had about how the game would control with a Gamecube pad were laid to rest when I got my copy today (the X-Box version of MGS2 had awful, game-destroying controls, and I was worried that would happen here also).
Yes, I'm a huge Metal gear fan, can you tell? ^^;
"Friends don't let friends watch dubbed anime."

http://shingallon.com

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 11, 2004, 04:38:10 AM »
I picked mine up from Gamestop yesterday (Wednesday) aftter work about 2 pm.  Having never played a single MG or MGS ame before, I was stoked about this.  I played for about 7 hours, dying many times on easy.  EASY I tell ya!!  I tried normal first, but being a MGS noob and stealth semi-noob it was too much.  The AI is like no other its is so smart.  I am not very far at all, only barely got to the nuke missle warehouse and looking for the remote missles.  The in-game engine cutscenes look awesome.  If I didn't know they were done "in-game", they looks just like they were FMV.   I hope to get a few more hours in today and hopefully figure stuff out, since I will have had more sleep.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 11, 2004, 05:51:46 AM »
haha, I played some of MGS on PS a few years ago, but wasn't up to it.  I played MGS 2, and HATED IT.  So I am getting MGS TTS and hoping that this game is very good.  Stealth stuff didn't turn me off, and MGS 2 turned me off because the story was so laughably bad.  If I don't get it today, I will get it tomorrow.  All depends on when the FedEX lady delivers if.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 11, 2004, 06:37:58 AM »
i had forgotten how frustrating this game can be.  i mean, pull-your-hair-out-and-break-your-wavebird-frustrating.

in the early parts of the game, it's pretty much get seen once and start over from the beginning of the section because there's not much room for error (few weapons, not many hiding spots, severely out numbered, etc).  to make matters worse, there's no 'load' option, so if you screw up, it's best to just stand still and wait for them to kill you so you can load from your last save point.  it takes some of the fun out of the game.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 11, 2004, 08:54:00 AM »
The Xbox pad did not ruin MGS2. I have a Japanese S and it played perfectly(pressing in the stick to zoom into FP was nice)

Also did anyone notice that the difficulty is much harder in the beginning and the end seems to be pretty easy?

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: March 11, 2004, 12:15:05 PM »
Just got this, and I'm playing frantically.  I'll post some impressions later on.

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 11, 2004, 01:52:54 PM »
I just bought this for $31 from Circuit City.  Won't be able to play till later on tonight, though.  Damn school....
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline Shin Gallon

• View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 11, 2004, 04:19:37 PM »
Being an extreme MGS fan, I found the gameplay on the X-Box pad unintuative, and hated clicking the analog pad for first-person mode. Plus, for some reason Snake didn't want to fire when I let go of the button, instead he almost always just lowered his gun (it took me 15 minutes to beat Olga, which shouldn't take more than 2 or 3). And this was on a pretty new, hardly used controller.
In addition to the inexcusable slowdown, plus the control being ruined, the X-Box version of MGS2 was pretty much unplayable IMO. There's no reason to get it if you have a PS2, that version is vastly superior.
"Friends don't let friends watch dubbed anime."

http://shingallon.com

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 11, 2004, 04:20:32 PM »
I got the game this afternoon and I only played it and saw the briefings at night. IMO it's quite hard even when playing on easy mode, but that's just because I'm still learning how to use the controls. They should have included a tutorial mode or at least a mini VR mode so that noobs(like me) to this game can at least get acustomed to the controls and specially the camera angles. I haven't gone far in the game, *sigh*I'm still at the helipad.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 11, 2004, 05:45:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Myxtika1 Azn
$31 from Circuit City

Hot diggity damn. I am so there.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 11, 2004, 10:32:06 PM »
I finished this game on PS1 but I bought the remake anyway.

Love this game... forgot how much fun it was back then.

I can almost forget about the horror that was MGS2 now.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 11, 2004, 11:05:58 PM »
Jesus ... MGS is an easy game ...they must have ramped up the difficulty quite a bit.

I was able to beat the original with no cheats or anything in 1 hour 52 mins and 14 seconds.

I AM GOD !!!
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 11, 2004, 11:23:47 PM »
I'll vouch for the difficulty...

I tried to get past the first room on Hard for nearly half an hour before giving up and doing it on Normal.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 12, 2004, 01:22:31 AM »
Jesus H christ is this game freaking hard. I played for 3 hours last night and havent gone anywhere. Mind you I am horrible at games, but this one really eats me up and spits me out. Oh yeah, AND ITS ON FREAKING EASY MODE!
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 12, 2004, 05:25:55 AM »
the beginning of the game is merciless.  once you get to the b1 holding cells the areas open up a bit and it's a little easier.  it's still pretty unforgiving.  like i said before, early on, if you get spotted it's almost easier just to stand still and die.