Author Topic: If you had the money to seize and old or missused gaming IP...  (Read 20028 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: If you had the money to seize and old or missused gaming IP...
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 04:49:13 PM »
Ah, I see. Yeah, with a Tactics Ogre approach, I can see how it would benefit from some of Valkyria's additions. To be honest though, I always preferred the original Ogre Battle to both OB64 and Tactics Ogre. I did like Tactics Ogre more than OB64 however. I keep wanting to see classic Ogre Battle make a comeback, maybe in the form of a downloadable game or a handheld title.

To be honest, OB64 is one of my favorite games of all time, and I'd love to see a new OB game in that style.  Unfortunately, the game everyone clones is Tactics Ogre and Tactics Ogre is the game currently being made on PSP, so it's likely a new OB game would be in that style.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 07:01:13 PM »
X-Com.  There's at least one fan remake in development (and a number of dead ones), but they're all recreating the original and concentrating mostly on updating the realism of the tactics half of the game.  I want to change things up a bit by turning it into a guerrilla war against aliens who have already won.  The tactics side would barely be affected, but it would greatly complicate base management, which I think is the weakest part of the original game.  It would also add more mission variety.

I'd start a new development studio so I could be in control.  And as long as I'm dreaming, I'd develop it for 3DS.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 07:05:52 PM »
X-Com.  There's at least one fan remake in development (and a number of dead ones), but they're all recreating the original and concentrating mostly on updating the realism of the tactics half of the game.  I want to change things up a bit by turning it into a guerrilla war against aliens who have already won.  The tactics side would barely be affected, but it would greatly complicate base management, which I think is the weakest part of the original game.  It would also add more mission variety.

I'd start a new development studio so I could be in control.  And as long as I'm dreaming, I'd develop it for 3DS.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but the creator of XCOM is making a tactical game for the 3DS.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 07:57:46 PM »
I don't know if you're aware of this, but the creator of XCOM is making a tactical game for the 3DS.

There are two problems with that.  One, if it's the Tom Clancy game as rumored, then it won't be in the genre I want.  Two, if it doesn't have the base management side of the game, then it won't be a "true" successor to X-Com.  I don't have high hopes.

Republic Commando. Could be the best game ever.

I just noticed this little comment.  Nice choice.  I don't think any other game since has even attempted to try the same things.  A sequel might even tell me what happened to Sev, too, dang it.  I read the stupid books hoping to get an answer to that -- something I regret on multiple levels.

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 08:02:51 PM »
Space Station Silicon Valley.  I would be happy with just a VC port, but the idea has a huge amount of untapped potential.  There were some ideas discussed in early interviews that didn't make it into the game but could add a lot to a sequel, like robots changing between different forms with different abilities, more interactive environments that could be used (for instance an interview mentioned rolling snowballs around to make them bigger in order to trap a fleeing penguin so it could be taken over). 

There are also potential for a lot more robot animals with a new abilities, for instance" a hawk with high-speed jet engines, a spider that could walk on walls and ceilings, a mole with a drill on its head that can dig through the ground, a dolphin with propellers and a spike on its nose for ramming, a mantis with buzz saws on its front legs that can cut down bushes and trees, a bat that uses sonar (turning the screen black-and-white but letting you see invisible things and see in the dark), a flying fish that can transition between swimming in the water and flying through the air, a remora with a magnet cup on its head that can attach to other fish robots or machines in the environment and use them to get through strong currents or sneak through defenses, and a jerboa with a rocket boost that can jump really high.

There is also potential for new environments, like dark areas that require animals with special abilities to navigate (bats for echolocation, owls for good night vision, dogs for smell), areas with wonky gravity (no gravity, changing gravity, different gravity in different parts).

There could also be rouge enemy microchips or viruses that compete for robot animals and change their behavior.
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 10:24:01 PM »
This just hit me: Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. That may still be my favorite PC game, despite two Civ games coming out since. Update it with the trappings of modern Civ and make a few more tweaks that wouldn't make as much sense in Civ (like the unit creator in the original) and you'd have an amazing game.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2010, 10:33:14 PM »
TROG and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Trog just needs an update...work on adding more things to make it fun and bring  back that addictive competitive Pac-Man gameplay that the original arcade had.  I would love to add some creative online modes, like Trogs vs the Dinosaurs as players could play as both.  And the game would still have to be clay animated for full effect.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles  I think this is self explanatory.  There is only one way to do this game right.  To go back to the original games and make a traditional scrolling beat'em up.  Hand Drawn Graphics, colorful, not too dark or edgy.  Create a slightly more complex game.  I am thinking a jump button and 2 attack buttons.  Maybe even a jump button 2 attacks and a throw/special button.  The idea is to make a game that can be rich with combos, and highly interactive levels.  Also, to help differentiate I would like the camera to be further away from the action slightly or character models just a tad smaller. 

Finally, a great idea would be to add 5 players.  There are several secondary characters that would be great to get a chance to play as in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle universe...plus Usagi and Gen should totally be playable.  So adding those characters to Splinter, Casey, and April you already have 8 playable characters. 

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 12:35:10 AM »
As far as older IPs go...I really, really would have liked to see Capcom make a Mega Man Legends 3.  As clunky and silly as that series was, it had a lot of charm.  I loved the Saturday morning anime-type feel to it at the time. 

I would like to point out that the IP there is Mega Man, which gets about 10 games a year. Mega Man Legends is a specific series in that IP. greybrick realizes that the X Wing vs. Starfighter series is just part of the Star Wars IP.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010, 05:01:36 AM »
This just hit me: Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. That may still be my favorite PC game, despite two Civ games coming out since. Update it with the trappings of modern Civ and make a few more tweaks that wouldn't make as much sense in Civ (like the unit creator in the original) and you'd have an amazing game.

I constantly wonder why there was never a sequel to this game. It's actually pretty fun but could have gone a lot farther than it did. I was hoping that a version of it would pop up in the Civ 4 Beyond the Sword expansion as one of the mod games. Maybe a version will appear in Civ 5 or one of it's expansions.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 05:25:57 AM »
Custer's Revenge. I really think it would benefit to be remade with realistic modern graphics. Oh, and with motion controls...
is your sanity...

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010, 09:38:58 AM »

Trog just needs an update...work on adding more things to make it fun and bring  back that addictive competitive Pac-Man gameplay that the original arcade had.  I would love to add some creative online modes, like Trogs vs the Dinosaurs as players could play as both.  And the game would still have to be clay animated for full effect.
I love  this idea.  Trog was awesome; the NES version was a blast, too.

Also, I'd like to see a return of Startropics.   I never played the second one, but I think a remake of the first one would be pretty cool as part of a 3DS remake collection or something.   
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 10:10:11 AM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2010, 09:58:49 AM »
I can't really think of an IP not being used that I want to see, maybe Crazy Taxi ( we haven't had a real one in several years, and the last one was a sub-standard PSP entry).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2010, 10:25:54 AM »

I love  this idea.  Trog was awesome; the NES version was a blast, too.

Also, I'd like to see a return of Startropics.   I never played the second one, but I think a remake of the first one would be pretty cool as part of a 3DS remake collection or something.   

Thanks, Trog is one of those dream games that I played as a kid in the arcades that I will never experience again, and it makes me very sad.  I have played the NES version, but the graphics and lack of 4 player support really hurts the experience.  Today, there are very few games I would actively search for playing, but Trog is one of those games. 

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2010, 01:32:13 PM »
Why has no one mentioned Sonic yet!?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2010, 02:16:35 PM »
Why has no one mentioned Sonic yet!?

I would buy Sonic, yes.

I would take Sonic in a sort of Hulk Ultimate Destruction meets Katamari Damancy direction. Basically, Sonic would have to run through a linear but 3d environment (a hallway, if you will) trying to crash into and destroy as much as he can- Sonic would slowly grow and get faster as he destroyed objects that were smaller than him. There would be no stopping, because Sonic would still break objects/buildings that were larger than him, but he would suffer a significant speed penalty. In this way, it would help to use your array of platforming/Prototype style gliding abilities to run across and avoid hitting things that are currently larger than yourself.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2010, 03:41:19 PM »
Armored Core. Not that it's been terribly mishandled or anything, but I think it has potential to perform well if taken full blast to an online multiplayer platform (and the PC), either as PvE, PvP, or a mix.

I'm not really sure what you think is missing, I just threw ACfA into my 360, hit "online" and joined a match. Didn't do very well since I hadn't played the game in a year or so but it worked and it had players. Apparently there are plenty of game modes (coop mission and FFA or team based MP with several modes) and a functioning ladder for ranked play.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2010, 11:36:08 PM »
back to Wizards and Warriors

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2010, 11:44:19 PM »
The original Wizards and Warriors was an awesome game. I didn't like the second, I've forgotten why, but I didn't. The third one was rather ambitious, I couldn't get into it because it doesn't have a save feature.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2010, 12:36:29 AM »
yeah, i really loved W&W3, the second is just ridiculously hard, but it has great music. I liked the third one because you got to change your class, iv beaten it a couple of time, but a save feature would have been welcome.

i wouldn't say this is the best render, but the lighting came out really good, it looks like a miniature set

12 hours later!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:09:01 AM by ThePerm »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2010, 11:29:40 AM »
Wow, what is that ugly mess?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2010, 12:13:11 PM »
After seeing some news out of Tokyo Game Show today, I'm changing my pick: the missused gaming IP I'd seize would be Valkyria Chronicles, a series I'd take and put on all 3 major consoles.  That game was phenomenal on PS3 and only sold poorly because of when Sega released it, the size of the PS3 user base at the time, and the total lack of marketing.  They've since moved the franchise to PSP for Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3, where it will never sell outside of Japan.  What.  The.  Hell?  Sega, you are dead to me.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:26:34 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2010, 12:33:05 PM »
How about Pokemon?  I want a full 3D console Pokemon RPG (that doesn't suck, a lot to specify here) and if they're not going to make one I might as well force them to.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2010, 01:04:32 PM »
I gave up on that dream. I just figure we will get some games like Gale Of Darkness, but ultimately they will never be as huge and complex as the hand held games.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2010, 08:22:21 PM »
Wow, what is that ugly mess?

When I see more than just Playstation quality FFVII quake 3 models I'll tell you.