Author Topic: Games Of Shame  (Read 5686 times)

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
Games Of Shame
« on: July 26, 2010, 02:27:04 PM »
This month, I have compiled a list of the games that I have neglected to play for one reason or another. Starting with Super Mario Land, I will go through the history of Nintendo and play these great or not so great games.

Super Mario Land
Metroid II
Metroid Prime
Luigi's Mansion
Castlevania: Sotn

I have decided to leave it at five games for now, just so I can concentrate on beating these games without other video game distractions, such as Rock Band.

What are your top five games on your wall of shame? Is there any chance these will be removed any time soon?
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
Re: Games Of Shame
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 02:33:07 PM »
I've got too many to list... actually... once I get off work later this afternoon, I'll compile a list and post it on here.  I have such a huge backlog of games to finish.  Maybe going as far back as the N64 era. Yikes. >_<
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 02:37:41 PM »
My list only contains two titles.

Final Fantasy VI
Paper Mario

I have Paper Mario on VC but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.  I'll pick up FFVI when it comes out on VC sometime next year.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 02:40:42 PM »
Super Mario RPG

It's sitting on my Wii main menu screen and I just haven't played it yet. Granted that it was on my other Wii up until about a week or two ago, which was at my mom's hoiuse (Thanx Nintendo for the Wii account transfer!), but it's been sitting on there for about a year or more and I haven't so much as looked at it.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 02:41:36 PM »
You may notice a bit of a theme to these games:  ;)

-Tales of Vesperia (I actually played it fairly recently, but it hasn't taken much to make me constantly want to play something with a little more action)

-Wild Arms 5 (want to play it, but I need a PS2 to play it without it crashing every 5-10 minutes because it's not entirely PS3 backwards compatible)

-Shadow Hearts Covenant (this I can play on my PS3, but the game's just so massive and to be honest rather ugly and slow)

-Star Ocean: The Last Hope (like the above, also so absurdly massive and guide-centric I never want to play it)

-Wild Arms 4 (see: Wild Arms 5)

Honorable Mention: Final Fantasy Tactics.  I got it because it has such high acclaim, but I've found over time (especially after playing Valkyria Chronicles) that I despise turn-based, grid-based, Tactics Ogre-cloning Tactical Strategy RPGs.  That game is just such a chore to play, and the payoff just doesn't seem worth it.

I own all of the above, but I just never want to play them (or I can't play them).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 02:42:21 PM »
Are you ready to start flaming me for not being a Nintendo fan?

Here are the two biggest games on my shame list...

Link's Awakening
Super Metroid
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
HOLY **** WHY HAVEN'T YOU PLAYED SUPER METROID YET
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 02:52:34 PM »
I've got it slated for an October 1st start date :)
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 02:55:30 PM »

Final Fantasy VI
Paper Mario

I have Paper Mario on VC but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.  I'll pick up FFVI when it comes out on VC sometime next year.

You should not play 6 on VC. We have to assume that a 3DS remake is on the way. Considering how good the DS remake of 4 was, a 3DS remake of 6 will have to be freaking amazing.
---------------------

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 03:21:08 PM »
You should not play 6 on VC. We have to assume that a 3DS remake is on the way. Considering how good the DS remake of 4 was, a 3DS remake of 6 will have to be freaking amazing.

They're so different that I don't think I'll have a problem playing both versions.  Regardless, I'd like to play the original version, since that's the one I've been hearing about for so many years.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 03:25:12 PM »
Didn't finish Shadow Hearts Covenant, damn that's the best of the series.  I loved that one.

My list:

Baldur's Gate II--damn each time I have to start over because of a system crashing or failed harddrive.  Third three times and put in 80+ hrs for a game I never finished :( .  Also bought the expansion for it as well.

Freedom Force--restarted that one multiple ties as well, couldn't finish do some moron breaking the disc.  Have the expansion for it as well.

--------Have about 100+ titles I haven't finished but those two were the ones that I actually wanted to beat.

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 03:28:33 PM »
Are you ready to start flaming me for not being a Nintendo fan?

Here are the two biggest games on my shame list...

Link's Awakening
Super Metroid

I haven't played those either. I am planning to pick up a clone that plays Nes, snes, and genesis, so I will finally get to Super Metroid hopefully in September/October.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 03:38:46 PM »
Oh yeah, you wanted to know which one of those you should play.

I would pick LM first because that's a quick playthrough 6 to 8 hrs.  MP would be second.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 01:24:57 AM »
I have a huge list of games I want to play but haven't, but I think the clear winner is the original Metroid Prime. I didn't get into the series until Corruption, which I only bought because of the controls. I bought Metroid Prime Trilogy when it came out, which looks pretty smart now that it's out of print, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. It was one of the games I wanted to cross off my list before going back to school in the fall, and now I've only got a month left to make good on that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 04:44:07 AM »
I've only played a portion of Super Metroid. I have it on VC and plan on eventually playing through it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
I can't remember if I ever played Super Mario Land, but Super Mario Land 2 was awesome.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 10:52:15 AM »
Super Mario Land 1 & 2 are the only Mario games I like less than Super Mario World. You can make of that what you will.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 01:30:11 PM »

Final Fantasy VI
Paper Mario

Oh, snap!  I thought of a third.  I've never played Yoshi's Island in its entirety.  I really need to get on that.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 01:36:24 PM »
SMW2: YI was one of my favorite games of all time, you do need to get it ASAP. The SNES version should not be that hard to find in places that sell SNES games. I am not sure how easy it would be to get the GBA enhanced port, nor have I played it (although I know they put extra levels in it). I wish Nintendo would hurry and release it on VC already.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 01:50:48 PM »
Yeah, I'm holding out for the VC release.  My SNES is at my parent's house and it's not not very conducive to set up another system at my home.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 07:04:12 PM »
I'm sure there are many, but the first to come to mind is StarFox. It's a pretty long-running Nintendo series and I've never played any of the game, despite owning the SNES and Nintendo 64 versions for many years now.

Oh, and I s'pose my entire Nintendo 64 collection falls under the category.