Author Topic: The Most Emotional Moments in Nintendo Gaming Talkback Thread  (Read 9794 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 03:16:01 PM by NWR_pap64 »
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
Re: The Most Emotional Moments in Nintendo Gaming Talkback Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 07:07:35 PM »
Wow, awesome feature Pedro. Keep up the good work!

I've had a lot of emotional moments in gaming, but one that deeply scarred me was, of course, Zelda Ocarina of Time. Exiting the church/shrine building were the master sword is, and noticing the town was destroyed/abandoned and full of zombies was an emotional moment for me.

I'll be waiting for the next installment of the series.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 07:16:31 PM »
When I tried clicking the link through the main page I got a pop-up window saying "Restricted Access: IP logged" and then sent back to the main page.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 07:22:16 PM »
When I tried clicking the link through the main page I got a pop-up window saying "Restricted Access: IP logged" and then sent back to the main page.

The same thing happens to me, and only when I use the main page link. The link from the talkback thread works just fine.

Ouendan seemed like a strange pick to me, but perhaps the original version is less corny than EBA. This may have just been because I found the music in EBA to be obnoxious.

Two emotional moments I am hoping to see in this feature are the end of Wind Waker and the entirety of Mario Galaxy.

If the emotion you are looking for is apathy, disgust, or a distinct feeling of loss, you can do a feature on the presentation of a complete Pokedex to Prof. Oak in Red/Blue. I was expecting to get Mew, maybe some in-game fireworks, and at the least a victorious jingle.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 07:23:48 PM »
Fixed it.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 07:25:44 PM »
Fixed it.

And I re-re fixed it :P

My apologies, everyone.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 07:29:28 PM »
Heh sorry.. did I not fix it right?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 07:31:24 PM »
You did fine. I just had no idea you already did the work :p .
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 08:17:45 PM »
Rats, greybrick beat me to it.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 08:39:40 PM »
@ShyGuy

That scene was the first and only time I cried during a video game. It was a single, manly tear, but a tear nonetheless. I was in middle school at the time so that may have impacted my emotional state  :P:
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 09:06:07 PM »
great idea for a feature but I think a podcast would work really well too.

Watching the trailer to Twilight Princess for the first time, and Wind waker. Both were very emotional to me

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 01:29:27 AM »
Link's Awakening.  Watching the Island you worked to save disappear into nothing.  I mean, you knew by this point that the island was a dream, but you still expect to save everyone on it.  Instead, they all vanish without a trace..

Do I have to spoiler such an old game? ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 02:13:22 AM »
Probably the two most emotional moments in a Nintendo game that I can think of both come from Zelda games: Majora's Mask (when you summon the Giants on the 3rd day and the Oath to Order kicks into full gear) and Twilight Princess (when you are ferrying a mortally injured Midna to aid in the rain while a sad rendition of their theme plays in the background).  Following shortly thereafter is the End of the World from Majora's Mask, also just because the music just sells it.  The Baten Kaitos games had some nice moments as well, but that was before Nintendo owned Monolith.

Unfortunately, outside of Zelda I can't think of many notable narrative moments in a Nintendo game.  I know people are going to be quick to throw in the cliched response of the Super Metroid ending, but I hope this feature doesn't go that obvious.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 02:35:55 AM »
Unfortunately, outside of Zelda I can't think of many notable narrative moments in a Nintendo game.  I know people are going to be quick to throw in the cliched response of the Super Metroid ending, but I hope this feature doesn't go that obvious.

That's what I am hoping to accomplish with this feature. Unfortunately, some entries will likely be cliched, but I will try to include other moments as well as evaluate the game's entire emotional package.

Hence why I said that whenever this subject arises people go for the obvious ones (the death of Aeris, the mystery of Bioshock etc.).
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 03:18:19 AM »
The most emotional moment for me was when Reggie prepared a short teaser video for users trying to snoop around NOA's E3 2004 homepage ahead of the event.

"DON'T MAKE ME DO IT, I'LL TAKE YOUR NAME"
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 03:54:07 AM »
I thought the final level in Ouendan was also a very powerful story because it brings together the characters from the previous stories as well as EVERYONE ON THE ENTIRE PLANET to will away the destruction of the earth by sheer willpower, and the song and rhythm only enhanced the feeling.  The connection among the people and the Ouendan was made real.  EBA and Ouendan 2 had similar epic final levels, but Ouendan did it first.  (Actually, I was wondering how they could possibly top the destruction of the Earth by an asteroid, but the death of the sun certainly did it!)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 03:57:22 AM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 05:06:51 AM »
I thought the final level in Ouendan was also a very powerful story because it brings together the characters from the previous stories as well as EVERYONE ON THE ENTIRE PLANET to will away the destruction of the earth by sheer willpower, and the song and rhythm only enhanced the feeling.  The connection among the people and the Ouendan was made real.  EBA and Ouendan 2 had similar epic final levels, but Ouendan did it first.  (Actually, I was wondering how they could possibly top the destruction of the Earth by an asteroid, but the death of the sun certainly did it!)

The feeling of frustration is also an emotion the final stage did well :p .
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 05:24:08 AM »
Yeah, they fixed that in the sequels.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 05:41:24 AM »

After you beat him is :(
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 02:59:21 PM »
Day two is up! Greybrick will be pleased :)
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 03:22:48 PM »
And why would I care about the Lumas exploding? Just because they're cute I have to feel sorry for them?

Well sorry for not shedding a tear, considering they're a bunch of greedy SOBs and took all my star bits.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 04:38:45 PM »
I think just the fact that this topic exists is good incentive for Nintendo to not be so lazy with storytelling.  Here is an example of their fans having an emotional connection to something in one of their games.  I would assume that Nintendo would consider that to be success.  If people connect with the game then you made a good game that you can be proud of.

Sorry to bring up Super Mario Galaxy 2 again but here is why the lazy storytelling in that game is inexcusable.  If Nintendo thinks that they can get away with cutting corners on this then we're not going to get any more moments like we're talking about here.  The Wii ____ series does not create moments.  Rehashing the "Peach invites Mario to the castle but OH NOES BOWSER kidnaps her!!" storyline does not create moments.  Gameplay and story don't have to be mutually exclusive.  And we know that even though Nintendo isn't really known for their stories they are capable of creating those emotional moments if they put some effort into it.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 06:29:40 PM »
You know I personally feel that music is one of the best ways for creating an emotional reaction from someone. In Super Mario Galaxy the music can be uplifting. As in Toy Time Galaxy. A sense of danger as in the Bowser levels. To sad as in the final moments of the game when Mario is watching the Lumas be sucked into a Blackhole.

I read somewhere a few years back that music or sounds can remind people of certain memories or create new memories.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 08:13:22 PM »
Alan Moore wrote short book called "Writing for Comics," where he espouses on how he feels comic book writers should strive to tell stories, but also how writers should tell their stories. One of the most important parts of this is choosing the appropriate medium for the story you want to tell, and to accompany that, to exploit the attributes of that medium which make it unique. This is where I feel like video games are still in their infancy. Not very often are stories in video games more effective because they are on video games. That is why I think that this feature is important. By locating emotional moments in games I think you can get a better grasp on what makes the medium effective in a way that is unique from movies, books or comics.

I actually think that Nintendo has a greater grasp on this concept than many other "story" heavy games. Because of the interactive nature of video games, the player can become connected to the protagonist, and to the world more than in another medium. That's why I enjoy Nintendo games so much, the narrative is your experience in the game, and the sparse moments when your control is taken away are used to punctuate and add inflection to that narrative. I also enjoy games like FF, but I have enjoyed the narrative appeal less with each iteration, as they become more about exposition, and to be honest, the narrative content isn't strong enough for that. This is why I will never play another Metal Gear after I stopped playing two. To paraphrase, Alan Moore says that typically, books tell and movies show, but comics are in the unique position to do both and they should utilize that to get the most out of their narratives. To me, video games aren't about telling or showing as much as they are about doing. You want to see truly interesting narratives that push the envelope of the medium, then more video game writers and developers should start there.
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 08:51:25 PM »
To me, video games aren't about telling or showing as much as they are about doing. You want to see truly interesting narratives that push the envelope of the medium, then more video game writers and developers should start there.

Well said.  I think video games have the potential to be the most emotionally involving medium if they weren't always trying to be Hollywood movies.  Consider if Old Yeller were a video game.  In the end, when the dog has rabies and has to be put down, how much more heart-wrenching would it be if you actually had to shoot him yourself?  Except no video game developer would leave it at that.  You'd be able to grind wild hogs for a few more levels and save the dog in the "good ending."