Poll

Nintendo Systems: Which is your Favorite?

Nintendo Entertainment System
1 (7.7%)
Virtual Boy
0 (0%)
Game Boy
1 (7.7%)
Game Boy Color
0 (0%)
Game Boy Advance
3 (23.1%)
Pokémon Mini
1 (7.7%)
Nintendo 64
4 (30.8%)
Nintendo GameCube
3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: October 08, 2010, 11:38:21 PM

Author Topic: Series Series - Wii in Third - Next Round finally up!  (Read 120730 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Series Series - Wii in Third - Next Round finally up!
« on: April 27, 2010, 11:34:13 PM »
Vote now!

Run-Off rules! If Two or more games have the same amount of votes at the end of the poll, those titles (alone) will run for 24 more hours - and all votes will be cleared - meaning that everyone will need to re-vote for one of the remaining titles.  After 24 hours, the winning title will be added to the list and the main poll will restart with the losing titles reinserted.

Nintendo Systems:
1.) Super Nintendo Entertainment System    - 8 (50%)
2.) Nintendo DS/DSi    - 7 (35%)
3.) Nintendo Wii    - 9 (40.9%)

Mario Kart:
1.) Mario Kart DS    - 6 (28.6%) - 13 (61.9%)
Mario Kart 64 (N64)    - 6 (28.6%)
2.) Mario Kart Wii 10 (50%)
3.) Mario Kart 64 (N64)    - 9 (42.9%)
4.) Mario Kart: Double Dash (GCN)    - 11 (57.9%)
5.) Super Mario Kart (SNES)    - 7 (35%); NoO- 8 (40%)
6.) Mario Kart: Super Circuit (GBA)    - 7 (41.2%)
7.) Mario Kart Arcade GP    - 4 (28.6%); NoO- 8 (57.1%)
8.) Mario Kart Arcade GP 2    - 2 (14.3%)

In for first place in the Metroid poll, Super Metroid!
1.) Super Metroid - 8 (53.3%)
2.) Metroid Prime    - 8 (66.7%)
3.) Metroid Prime 3: Corruption    - 5 (33.3%)
4.) Metroid: Zero Mission 5 (38.5%)
5.) Metroid: Fusion    - 6 (37.5%)
     Metroid Prime 2: Echoes    - 6 (37.5%)    - 9 (52.9%)
6.) Metroid: Fusion    - 9 (64.3%)
7.) Metroid Prime Pinball    - 6 (40%)
8.) Metroid II: Return of Samus    - 9 (52.9%)
9.) Metroid -     11 (68.8%)
10.) Metroid Prime: Hunters -     5 (31.3%)

Taking first place, with 25.9% of the initial poll,
1.) The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Second Place! 30% Whoo!
2.)The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening/DX

Third and Below...
3.) Majora's Mask (33.3%)
4.) Ocarina of Time (52.9%)
5.) Wind Waker (35.7%/66.7%)
6.) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (50%)
7.) The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (23.5%)
8.) Zelda II: The Adventure of Link  (21.4%)
9.) The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (27.3%)
10.) The Legend of Zelda (27.3%/53.8%)
11.) The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (50%)
12.) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: Master Quest (35.7%)
13.) The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords (45.5%)
14.) The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (50%)
15.) The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (69.2%)
16.) The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (30.8%)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:38:18 PM by UncleBob »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Series Series - Poll 1 - Round One: Zelda
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 11:40:42 PM »
Either The Wind Waker or Twilight Princess, no doubt. I honestly can't see why anyone would pick Majora's Mask, to me that is easily the worst 3D Zelda and maybe the worst non-CDi Zelda.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 11:51:16 PM »
Either The Wind Waker or Twilight Princess, no doubt. I honestly can't see why anyone would pick Majora's Mask, to me that is easily the worst 3D Zelda and maybe the worst non-CDi Zelda.
I didn't pick it in the poll, but it easily had the best NPC cast, side quests that had a purpose and dungeon design. Also, the time can be slowed down with the Backwards Song of Time. It increases the length alot.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 11:53:51 PM »
Well this is easy. I went with Link to the Past because it is my favorite game of all time. I think picking my 2nd favorite Zelda game is going to be tough.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 11:55:24 PM »
Maybe it isn't the worst Zelda game, but it's annoying hearing people say they think it is the best Zelda game (I still can't believe the NWR staff picked MM over TWW in the Game of the Decade debate, MM wasn't even the best game of 2000).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 12:02:15 AM »
Majora's Mask is my pick.  It's one of the few Zelda games to actually have any emotion, meaningful interactions with townsfolk, and a real sense of threat in the game world (the constant presence of the falling Moon, and the subsequent destruction of Termina that existed beyond just people talking about it).  It also has some of my favorite songs in the series, as well as real strides towards actual storytelling in the series (yes, Ocarina started it on console Zelda, but Majora's Mask took it to the next level).

My big problem with Wind Waker is that it feels very artificial to me, with several noticeable missing dungeons and an extreme amount of padding towards the end of the game with the Triforce hunt.  The sailing is also neat at the start of the game, but gets very old very fast and could definitely have done with more warp points.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:10:34 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 12:22:47 AM »
Link to the Past gets my vote as well.  OoT would be second and lasty the orginal would be third. 

What killed Wind Waker for be (besides the talking sailboat) was it didn't follow though with the humor.  In the begining there's a couple of good laughs (him raising a pig over his head or being shot out of a cannon) but then the game starts taking itself to serious. 

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 12:27:50 AM »
Majora's Mask is an awesome game.  I think what too many people missed was going through on the evening of the third day and taking to the NPCs.  There's one point where Anju is waiting for Kafei to show, but if you fail a part of the sidequest required for him to show up, Anju is just depressing.  It's just too easy to miss that, but it's such a critical piece of how well put together the game is.

But, alas, Link's Awakening gets my vote. :)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 01:30:51 AM »
You know what's not fun?
I set it so that you won't see the results until after you vote - I wanted it to be a surprise for everyone, including me.

But as a moderator, I can see the results. :(

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 01:35:00 AM »

:moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface::moonface:
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 01:59:28 AM »
LttP...Majora...LttP....Majora...

Why must I choose!?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 12:13:37 PM »
Link's Awakening is the only game that I have actually bothered to beat twice (aside from super short titles like Turtles in Time).  It's my favourite game, period.  It's hard to say exactly why.  I liked A Link to the Past a lot and Link's Awakening just seemed to be that much more fun.  It has a great balance of dungeons and side-quests.  Some Zelda games, like LttP and OoT, get into this rut where it's just dungeon after dungeon towards the end with no new areas to explore.  Link's Awakening gives you a good break after every dungeon, and dungeons are stressful so it's good to have that break.  This is a big reason why I like Majora's Mask a lot, too.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 02:01:25 PM »
I honestly can't see why anyone would pick Majora's Mask, to me that is easily the worst 3D Zelda and maybe the worst non-CDi Zelda.

Just for that, I'm voting for Majora's Mask every time.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 02:04:09 PM »
I honestly can't see why anyone would pick Majora's Mask, to me that is easily the worst 3D Zelda and maybe the worst non-CDi Zelda.

You know, eventually, it'll work its way out of the poll, right? ;)

Just for that, I'm voting for Majora's Mask every time.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 03:29:22 PM »
Judging by past discussions here, the only way Majora's Mask won't be one of the first two removed is if it and Link's Awakening spoil each other and everyone else votes for the same (wrong) game.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 03:46:24 PM »
You know, eventually, it'll work its way out of the poll, right? ;)

You know I can edit the polls, right?  ;)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• Little Black Rain Cloud
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
    • moronsonofboron @ deviantART
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 03:47:42 PM »
Majora's Mask is a technical masterpiece and an achievement in world design and storytelling. It could also be hailed as the most "mature" of the Zelda series, given some of its dark themes and the follow-through on certain storyline's consequences. I mean, come on, they anally probe an underage girl. Or imply it happens. HOW DID NINTENDO GET AWAY WITH THIS.
Eat lightning and crap thunder.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 04:26:27 PM »
Majora's Mask is a technical masterpiece and an achievement in world design and storytelling. It could also be hailed as the most "mature" of the Zelda series, given some of its dark themes and the follow-through on certain storyline's consequences. I mean, come on, they anally probe an underage girl. Or imply it happens. HOW DID NINTENDO GET AWAY WITH THIS.

Explain whats in the darkness to me. I seem to have forgetten that one.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 05:07:08 PM »
A Link to the Past, no question. My 2nd favorite game ever.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 06:04:47 PM »
Dude all these polls SUCK ASS.

Didn't we stop them for a reason?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 10:48:36 PM »
I voted a Link to the Past because I have beaten that game over 10 times.  It is one of the best games ever made.

But, I will take to task anyone that says that few Zelda games have a little sense of emotion or threat.

I think the whole dark world dynamic is very emotional, and the first time in OoT you are an adult and you see the perverted destroyed world you get a sense of dread...same with Link to the Past.

But Wind Waker to me is the game that has the most sense of gloom.  The world is already destroyed and rebuilt....nobody even knows this isn't the way the world should be, it is quite stunning.  Even Gannondorf is saddened by the events.  He seems like this dissatisfied ruler that got everything he wanted and realized it became worthless.  There is more subtle than other games, but it is there.

Twilight Princess kind of has the same feel going.  A darkness that must be repelled from the world.  But Twilight Princess had cinematic moments to real push the emotional impact.  And yes, like an action movie you know people will be ok, but it is still emotional and exciting during the event.  In fact, I think the first 1/4 of Twilight Princess has someone of the best Zelda experiences in the game. 

Majora's Mask is good...and it does have this dark sense of dread and gloom, but it is almost too goth...and it takes away from possibly having any other emotions...it is just too overbearing for the series.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 06:59:19 PM »
Get your votes in now - with only 25 members voting so far, this could still swing a couple of ways.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 07:32:28 PM »
...this could still swing a couple of ways.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 07:40:01 PM »
I voted for ALttP, it's probably my favourite game of all time.  I was surprised to see someone mention that they can't stand it, in the other thread.  I really can't find any flaws with the game, so I'd like to hear an explanation.  Ian mentioned that it tends to focus too much on dungeons near the end, which I can understand.  But there are definitely lots of hidden secrets you can search for in between the dungeons, if you haven't exhausted them yet.

My next vote will definitely be LA.  It's quite similar, but different enough to be really engaging.  Proves that the series doesn't need Hyrule or the princess to still be solid.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 10:05:07 PM »
I picked TP.  What can I say, I'm easily pleased.