Poll

Which game should RFN podcast crew and listeners play and discuss for RetroActive?

Metroid 2: Return of Samus (GB)
27 (42.9%)
Pokemon Pinball (GB/GBC Dual-Mode)
8 (12.7%)
Bionic Commando: Elite Forces (GBC)
4 (6.3%)
Wario Land 3 (GBC)
16 (25.4%)
Metal Gear Solid a.k.a. Ghost Babel (GBC)
8 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: April 15, 2010, 01:27:32 AM

Author Topic: RetroActive #12 Poll -- Game Boy Edition  (Read 30438 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: RetroActive #12 Poll -- Game Boy Edition
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2010, 01:45:02 PM »
Wario Land 3 will definitely be in the next Second Chance poll in a few months.

I love WL2 as well, and it has a distinct feel from any other game in the series. It feels like you can bust through nearly any wall and explore absolutely everywhere. While perhaps liberating, it also means you have to be exhaustive to find all the secret levels. WL3 provides better clues as to where to look for secrets.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2010, 02:33:29 PM »
I think I'll play Metroid 2 on my Super Gameboy.  It's been years since I've busted that out.

Oh! Great idea! I'll do the same.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2010, 08:14:34 PM »
My Super Game Boy doesn't work very well, so I might have to use the Game Boy Player and its preset colour schemes. That is, if I play the game, which I haven't yet decided on.

There's no doubt that Wario Land 3 is the technically superior game, but Wario Land II has more enjoyable gameplay. I loved searching for treasure and scraping up every last coin I could find, but Wario Land 3 doesn't have that. There isn't even an incentive to not get hit by enemies since there's no penalty in the form of losing coins. It's actually more like a Metroid game, where you have to revisit areas when you learn new moves. Nothing wrong with that in itself, but it does make the game less like a platformer, which makes it less enjoyable for me.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2010, 09:17:42 PM »
I agree that Wario Land 2 is a superior game. There are far too many instances in Wario Land 3 of having do a sequence of events exactly right to get the treasure or whatever else. There are some really frustrating moments in that game for me.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2010, 12:01:25 AM »
I agree that Wario Land 2 is a superior game. There are far too many instances in Wario Land 3 of having do a sequence of events exactly right to get the treasure or whatever else. There are some really frustrating moments in that game for me.

Yeah I remember being very frustrated at parts in the game.

I think I'll play Metroid 2 on my Super Gameboy.  It's been years since I've busted that out.

Oh! Great idea! I'll do the same.

I realize many people are still somewhat far away from even getting the game.  But I just finished my playthough.  I'll wait for the thread to talk specifically about the game, but I just wanted to post about some technical stuff.

I played a decent amount of it on the Super Gameboy.  My Super Nintendo is hooked up to my plamsa through RF so it does look kinda fuzzy (I've been meaning to get a S-Video cable which I believe is the best hookup for the system).  I also played some on my GBA SP+.  Not only did it look nice and crisp, but it actually has a bit better color output. 

Both have hooks for the game so they start up without having to mess around to find something that works.  But the Super Gameboy only has the four color setup.  Samus is her traditional red and yellow, which means basically everything is red and yellow.  Then there's a black outline for everything and a blueish-green background (which I like to change to black).

However, the GBA has a few more colors.  Samus is red and yellow with a dark red outline, but the environment sprites are two shades of blue with some white thrown in and there's a black background.  The separation of the moving sprites and the background sprites is very nice.

I don't have my Gamecube hooked up and my sister has my Gameboy Player so I can't try it out.  But it looks like it has the same setup as the GBA.  So it looks like that's the one to go with if you want to play on a TV.  Otherwise a GBA SP+ is your best bet if you want portable.  If I can get my GB Player from my sister I may go through again to try and find those two missile upgrades I missed. 

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2010, 12:05:37 AM »
I played a decent amount of it on the Super Gameboy.  My Super Nintendo is hooked up to my plamsa through RF so it does look kinda fuzzy (I've been meaning to get a S-Video cable which I believe is the best hookup for the system).

Keep in mind, if you have an SNES-mini, you can't use the S-Video cable with it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2010, 12:09:57 AM »
I moronically sold my GC and Game Boy Player when I was trying to fund the Wii.

*headdesk*

I really miss my Game Boy Player. And my GameCube.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2010, 12:14:17 AM »
How could you ever do such a horrible thing.  I'm going to go hug each of my five GameCubes with Game Boy Players right now.

Monster.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 17, 2010, 12:30:52 AM »
However, the GBA has a few more colors.  Samus is red and yellow with a dark red outline, but the environment sprites are two shades of blue with some white thrown in and there's a black background.  The separation of the moving sprites and the background sprites is very nice.

I don't have my Gamecube hooked up and my sister has my Gameboy Player so I can't try it out.  But it looks like it has the same setup as the GBA.
The Game Boy Color displays original Game Boy games using up to ten different colours, so it is true that games will look better on them since the Super Game Boy displays only four colours. Its advantage is that you get to choose those colours, instead of choosing a preset. Since the Game Boy Advance (and Game Boy Player) use actual GBC hardware to run Game Boy games, they also offer the same colour schemes as the Game Boy Colour.

It doesn't matter to me though, as I tend to choose black and white for Game Boy games. They just don't look right with only a few colours.

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2010, 12:41:26 AM »
The Game Boy Color displays original Game Boy games using up to ten different colours, so it is true that games will look better on them since the Super Game Boy displays only four colours. Its advantage is that you get to choose those colours, instead of choosing a preset. Since the Game Boy Advance (and Game Boy Player) use actual GBC hardware to run Game Boy games, they also offer the same colour schemes as the Game Boy Colour.

It doesn't matter to me though, as I tend to choose black and white for Game Boy games. They just don't look right with only a few colours.

I remember playing some games where I'd change the colors basically every level.  I loved messing around with them to see what would look best with the limited palette. 

I played a decent amount of it on the Super Gameboy.  My Super Nintendo is hooked up to my plamsa through RF so it does look kinda fuzzy (I've been meaning to get a S-Video cable which I believe is the best hookup for the system).

Keep in mind, if you have an SNES-mini, you can't use the S-Video cable with it.

Yeah I have an original SNES.  Being someone who regularly goes back and plays old games, I've actually researched the best cables available for each system.  Also I feel very stupid for not knowing the entire time I used my GB Player that it could play GB and GBC games.  For some reason I thought it only played GBA games.  I probably read some misinformation online and never looked into it again.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2010, 12:44:38 AM »
Oh that's right, I have an SNES and a Super Game Boy!

I am SO playing Metroid II with the "recommended colors" from the Super Game Boy guide.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 17, 2010, 12:47:19 AM »
Oh that's right, I have an SNES and a Super Game Boy!

I am SO playing Metroid II with the "recommended colors" from the Super Game Boy guide.

Isn't Metroid II an enchanced SGB Game - meaning it has a special built-in pallet just for the SGB that features more than four colors?

Yeah I have an original SNES.  Being someone who regularly goes back and plays old games, I've actually researched the best cables available for each system.  Also I feel very stupid for not knowing the entire time I used my GB Player that it could play GB and GBC games.  For some reason I thought it only played GBA games.  I probably read some misinformation online and never looked into it again.

I've always found it weird that every time Nintendo of America released a revised version of a system, they removed the "upgraded" video output option.  The Top Loader NES removed composite audio/video, the SNES-mini removed S-Video and the -101 GameCubes removed component video. :(

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2010, 12:49:38 AM »
Unless Metroid II received a Super Game Boy enhanced re-release, it doesn't have a special colour scheme.

The Top Loader NES removed composite audio/video, the SNES-mini removed S-Video and the -101 GameCubes removed component video. :(
Later versions of N64 hardware also aren't able to be modded with an RGB out.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2010, 12:55:05 AM »
Unless Metroid II received a Super Game Boy enhanced re-release, it doesn't have a special colour scheme.

Quick search shows that the game isn't SGB enhanced - but the SGB itself was programmed with a special pallet just for Metroid II (a few other games had special pallets programmed into the SGB for them as well).

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2010, 12:35:21 PM »
Quick search shows that the game isn't SGB enhanced - but the SGB itself was programmed with a special pallet just for Metroid II (a few other games had special pallets programmed into the SGB for them as well).

Quite a number of Game Boy games had special enhancements (sometimes more than just a limited color palette) when played on a Super Game Boy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Game_Boy_games

Nice that Nintendo did so much for the Super Game Boy considering that it cost more than the Game Boy itself and that Game Boy sales had dropped significantly by that point.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2010, 08:17:45 PM »
I won't be able to play this time around but I want to hear what everybody has to say about Metroid 2:Return of Samus.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.