Poll

Which game should RFN podcast crew and listeners play and discuss for RetroActive?

Metroid 2: Return of Samus (GB)
27 (42.9%)
Pokemon Pinball (GB/GBC Dual-Mode)
8 (12.7%)
Bionic Commando: Elite Forces (GBC)
4 (6.3%)
Wario Land 3 (GBC)
16 (25.4%)
Metal Gear Solid a.k.a. Ghost Babel (GBC)
8 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: April 15, 2010, 01:27:32 AM

Author Topic: RetroActive #12 Poll -- Game Boy Edition  (Read 30435 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: RetroActive #12 Poll -- Game Boy Edition
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2010, 10:17:23 PM »
Did greybrick just try to win me over with Mesozoic Morrison references?

He did. And he did.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2010, 10:42:49 PM »
Did greybrick just try to win me over with Mesozoic Morrison references?

He did. And he did.

It's all part of my secret plan to take over the world. You will know the next phase is complete when one Mr. Jon Lindemann is mysteriously absent from RFN. I kid  ;)

But seriously, GB feature! Now that I know it exists out there in the ether I will pester until it is resurrected.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2010, 09:51:50 PM »
I would be willing to help out with that if the staff aren't eager to move on a GB feature. My name is, after all, greybrick.
Ha ha, is your name really "greybrick" because of the Game Boy? I totally didn't make that connection.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2010, 11:58:09 PM »
I would be willing to help out with that if the staff aren't eager to move on a GB feature. My name is, after all, greybrick.
Ha ha, is your name really "greybrick" because of the Game Boy? I totally didn't make that connection.
Yep, that is the reason! Not my real name, of course. It was the first piece of gaming I ever touched, and for a very long time I exclusively owned game boys and nothing else... until late into the gamecube's life if you would believe it.
Bless you, my child.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2010, 01:29:43 PM »
Graybrick, I like you.  Not like that...unless your, to quote a funhaus meme, "a hot chick."
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2010, 02:44:14 PM »
Graybrick, I like you.  Not like that...unless your, to quote a funhaus meme, "a hot chick."

I suppose that as far as bearded and deep-voiced males in their early twenties go that I would rank more as a "medium chick."
Though I am not.... how do you say... "gaybrick."

Either way, you're not my type  ;)

Bless you, my child.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2010, 03:29:26 PM »
I like Gargoyle's Quest, but Demon's Crest (SNES) is much better. I would love to discuss that one on the show, especially if it ever comes to Virtual Console. (Why the hell hasn't it already?)
Years ago, I posted on Capcom's forums asking that exact question, and that Svensson guy's reply was basically "That would be awesome, but it's out of our hands because Nintendo is the one making the decisions and the idea would have to come from them". I'm paraphrasing, despite the quotation marks.

I'm pretty sure he was BSing me, because that doesn't make any sense.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2010, 03:50:32 PM »
Makes sense to me. It means that Nintendo is the one calling the shots as to what is being put on VC.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2010, 03:57:07 PM »
I still wonder if it's Nintendo's fault or Midway's fault that the Mortal Kombat games have not appeared on the VC. Back in March 2007 Midway confirmed that the Mortal Kombat games would be released on the VC. It's been over three years and no Midway games have appeared since then (in fact, very few games from western publishers have appeared).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2010, 04:02:51 PM »
Makes sense to me. It means that Nintendo is the one calling the shots as to what is being put on VC.
The way he phrased it, though, it sounded like Capcom couldn't even submit the game for consideration. He wasn't saying "Nintendo gets the last say on this", but "Nintendo has to come to us and ask us to put Demon's Crest up on Wiiware".

Anyway, I tried to look for the post but it has long been deleted off their forums.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2010, 08:01:51 PM »
I still wonder if it's Nintendo's fault or Midway's fault that the Mortal Kombat games have not appeared on the VC. Back in March 2007 Midway confirmed that the Mortal Kombat games would be released on the VC. It's been over three years and no Midway games have appeared since then (in fact, very few games from western publishers have appeared).

With respect to the MK license, it was my understanding that as of last year that has been in Warner Bros.' hands.

But of course, Nintendo has yet to release titles that they hold the licenses to that fans have been demanding. All this on a distribution platform that they would certainly make back what little money they put in to the emulation.

More importantly, where is my GB virtual console! I may be a sad individual, but I want, nay, need to play Link's Awakening on my DSi XL! For those of you that say it would look bad- I enjoy playing that game on my big LCD screen anyways.
Bless you, my child.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2010, 08:10:36 PM »
With respect to the MK license, it was my understanding that as of last year that has been in Warner Bros.' hands.

I'm actually aware of this. There was still a 2 1/2 year period that Midway had. Hopefully Time Warner realizes how much easy money there is by releasing Midway IP's on the Virtual Console (just releasing the games in the three Midway Arcade Treasures releases would add about 50 games to the VC). I am still stunned Midway didn't do this to help their financial situation. I don't think it would have stopped them from being bankrupt, but it might have kept them afloat a little longer.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2010, 08:18:14 PM »

I'm actually aware of this. There was still a 2 1/2 year period that Midway had. Hopefully Time Warner realizes how much easy money there is by releasing Midway IP's on the Virtual Console (just releasing the games in the three Midway Arcade Treasures releases would add about 50 games to the VC). I am still stunned Midway didn't do this to help their financial situation. I don't think it would have stopped them from being bankrupt, but it might have kept them afloat a little longer.

They did end up going under, so a lack of smart decision making doesn't surprise me all that much. But a missed opportunity? Definitely.
Bless you, my child.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2010, 09:21:15 AM »
Metroid II: Return of Samus won? Ugh. If I find a cheap copy, I might join in. I don't have much interest in the game, I will look forward to listening to the podcast though.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2010, 09:25:58 AM »
Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos Wario Land and dropped off Metroid II to do it.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2010, 11:33:45 AM »
Metroid II: Return of Samus won? Ugh. If I find a cheap copy, I might join in. I don't have much interest in the game, I will look forward to listening to the podcast though.

It's a good game, but I think that some of the others might have been more interesting to talk about.  Oh well - since I played through Metroid II earlier this year maybe I'll have a few comments to throw in.

Playing through Zelda: Link's Awakening now makes me wish that game could've been chosen instead though - it's truly excellent and stands up better today as a gaming experience IMO.  Link's Awakening has blown away my expectations with the many subtle details, humorous touches, and sometimes unusual gameplay.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2010, 01:11:49 PM »
 :(

Well, I guess I can take part by throwing in negative opinions of the game from time to time. Not ideal, but the people have spoken.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:15:48 PM by Killer_Man_Jaro »
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2010, 02:47:49 PM »
At one point (about a day after I posted the front-page poll link), Wario Land 3 was within two votes of Metroid II. I thought it might catch up or at least stay close behind, but Metroid pulled away in the final couple of days.

I abstained, by the way.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2010, 02:53:29 PM »
At one point (about a day after I posted the front-page poll link), Wario Land 3 was within two votes of Metroid II. I thought it might catch up or at least stay close behind, but Metroid pulled away in the final couple of days.

Voter fraud!  ;D

Serious question:  We have a lot of spambots and spiders who frequent this board (just look at the birthday list on the bottom of the front page).  Is it possible that some script they're running could accidentally vote for the first option of the poll (Metroid II)?  Just curious.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2010, 03:09:07 PM »
I would have loved to see the Metal Gear gameboy game win, but Metroid is good too. I think I know where I can get a copy as well
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2010, 05:49:41 PM »
I think I'll play Metroid 2 on my Super Gameboy.  It's been years since I've busted that out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2010, 07:44:05 PM »
For those of you who wanted to play Wario Land 3, would you like to start our own discussion about the game? Sure it won't be official or appear on a podcast, but we can still play and discuss the game.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2010, 10:02:10 PM »
I'd rather wait to see if it winds a runner-up poll, Mop_it_up. I'm surprised by how much of a landslide Metroid 2 won by.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2010, 12:10:59 AM »
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I really think Wario Land 2 is vastly superior to Wario Land 3.  Maybe it was because I played them back to back, but I kinda didn't like WL3 after loving WL2.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2010, 12:15:18 AM »
I love 'em both, but WL3 is the more tightly designed game.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi