Poll

Which game should RFN podcast crew and listeners play and discuss for RetroActive?

Metroid 2: Return of Samus (GB)
27 (42.9%)
Pokemon Pinball (GB/GBC Dual-Mode)
8 (12.7%)
Bionic Commando: Elite Forces (GBC)
4 (6.3%)
Wario Land 3 (GBC)
16 (25.4%)
Metal Gear Solid a.k.a. Ghost Babel (GBC)
8 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: April 15, 2010, 01:27:32 AM

Author Topic: RetroActive #12 Poll -- Game Boy Edition  (Read 30436 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive #12 Poll -- Game Boy Edition
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 01:08:38 AM »
Have you always italicized the titles of games, TJ, or is that just something you recently started doing?

It does make posts like nicer in my opinion.
I started doing it a couple of weeks ago, for the same reason you stated (I think it looks nicer).
Many articles italicize the names of movies, books, games, etc., to ensure the reader knows that it is a title.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 01:33:09 AM »
NWR should team up with Goozex as the official Retroactive sponsor.

I'm not a member of Goozex (since I don't tend to sell/trade off any of my precious Nintendo horde), but they recently added many older systems, including the NES, SNES and the Game Boy!

http://www.goozex.com/trading/games/240137-Metroid_II_Return_of_Samus-Game_Boy

Metroid II is worth 300 points (~$15 from my understanding of their points system).
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 02:48:21 AM »
We'll definitely leave time for everyone (including ourselves) to acquire the winning game. I may have to ask my mom to rummage through the attic for something.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline BlueStorm

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 10:11:42 AM »

I am going to try and participate this time depending on my ability to acquire said game.  I was kind of hoping for a Donkey Kong 94 option or Kid Icarus (gameboy) since I just picked them up.   Looks like I need to cast a vote.....I have never played Wario so maybe I'll go that route.
<BR>

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 12:31:17 AM »
easy poll this time, i'll vote for what I want and something I think will be great to hear.

Metroid 2.

This will be a great discussion before Another M releases, and It's a very good game that holds up. About 6 years ago I played through it and really enjoyed it even though it can be very confusing. The last boss was seriously difficult

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 02:33:27 AM »
Sigh. Looks like Metroid II: Return of Samus is the next game. Sigh...

In the likely event that the predictable option wins, I'll be skipping this RetroActive. A friend of mine owns Metroid II, but I have no appetite whatsoever to borrow it again.

I will continue to hold out hope that people will see sense and re-vote for Wario Land III.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 08:57:58 PM »
They are all great games. Remember that the runner-up (maybe two of them) will return in a future Second Chance poll. I am not going to comment on the current results, but keep in mind that people do vote without posting in the thread. ;-)
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 09:09:52 PM »
Huzzah! A Game Boy poll! I'm such a nerd for portables. For Ghost Babel too, since that was my first request on Radio Trivia. The game has a great deal versatility to it, with all the best things about 8 and 32 bit Metal Gear games and none of the cutscenes. Really I'd play this again just for the VR Training scenarios.

Fingers crossed it makes it to the 2nd chance poll at least. Metroid 2 is a solid game as well. There is just too much gold on this list
"Fear of blood tends to create fear of the flesh"

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 09:41:13 PM »
In the likely event that the predictable option wins, I'll be skipping this RetroActive. A friend of mine owns Metroid II, but I have no appetite whatsoever to borrow it again.
Aw come on, I think we need more contrasting opinions for this RetroActive. So far, it seems I'm the only one who doesn't like the game.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 09:42:39 PM »
Another reason I would like Pokémon Pinball to win is that the Pokemon series surprisingly doesn't get a lot of discussion on the podcast. The Metroid series got a whole podcast just for it (which I disagrees with since that month had a much more important anniversary than the 15th anniversary of Super Metroid, it was also the 20th anniversary of the Game Boy).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2010, 11:45:01 PM »
Not sure how you can NOT like Metroid 2, especially if you've played Super Metroid. It's like the Australipithicus to Super Metroid's Homo.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2010, 02:02:38 PM »
Spike, I wanted to do something for the gameboy at the time. Then again, I'm also all for Wario III. I also thin the designation of Prime as our game of the decade was absurd.

Maybe I'm just a hater...
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2010, 03:22:03 PM »
Another reason I would like Pokémon Pinball to win is that the Pokemon series surprisingly doesn't get a lot of discussion on the podcast. The Metroid series got a whole podcast just for it (which I disagrees with since that month had a much more important anniversary than the 15th anniversary of Super Metroid, it was also the 20th anniversary of the Game Boy).

For the last time, we did not go forward with a Super Metroid special because we thought its anniversary was more important than the Game Boy's. As momentous as the Game Boy's 20th anniversary was, unfortunately in the case of three of us (myself, Jonny, and Lindy) we didn't own  Nintendo portables until the late 90s at the earliest, and so we were sorely underqualified as a group to do the occasion justice. James and TYP, who have considerable portable gaming knowledge and experience , recorded a Radio Trivia Game Boy special that was vastly superior to anything we could have done for it on RFN.

On the other hand, Super Metroid is a title that we (with the exception of James) shared high regard for and a deep connection with, so it seemed like a topic we could do something special with as a group. There was also a certain element of natural selection involved--while I did extensive preparation for the Super Metroid feature weeks in advance of the anniversary date, James merely proposed that we scrap all that when he realised the Game Boy anniversary was less than a week away, without having done any work at all.     
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 03:43:01 PM by Yoshidious »
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2010, 03:56:26 PM »
^^^ What he said.

By the way, Retronauts did a very good episode for the Game Boy anniversary, while they completely ignored Super Metroid. We didn't plan it out that way, but it worked out very nicely.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2010, 04:09:26 PM »
While I don't agree with the characterization, I'm amused that that incident brings up such harsh feelings. I'd like to point out that I made an effort to produce a site feature and realized I want going to have sufficient staff support to pull it off.

The reason I want Wario Land III is that its a unique character in the stable, but I'm kind of starting to lean to Ghost Babble because we haven't done anything like it prior.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2010, 04:14:41 PM »
I was disappointed that the GB Anniversary feature didn't stay alive, though I don't remember seeing anything past the initial email proposal. I would've happily written about half that feature given the games listed, and I distinctly remember offering to. Perhaps it's something we can still do in the future.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2010, 04:41:41 PM »
You did. And thanks for that. There were some "volunteers please" calls.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2010, 05:31:38 PM »
Revival?!?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2010, 05:51:29 PM »
I was disappointed that the GB Anniversary feature didn't stay alive, though I don't remember seeing anything past the initial email proposal. I would've happily written about half that feature given the games listed, and I distinctly remember offering to.

I distinctly remember this happening as well, and I believe I even started writing something about DK '94, but then it just got dropped.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2010, 01:46:22 AM »
Wario Land 3 is one of the best games ever. But I could see one of these not-as-good-but still-good games (sorry, face it) as being more interesting to talk about on RetroActive.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2010, 03:52:20 AM »
Why wait for even years? Do a 'Game Boy Becomes Game Man: Now It Can Legally Drink In The US!' feature where you celebrate it's 21st year.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2010, 04:00:22 AM »
Not sure how you can NOT like Metroid 2, especially if you've played Super Metroid. It's like the Australipithicus to Super Metroid's Homo.
If it is picked, I will gladly explain. :)

Too bad there are no Mega Man games on the list, I need an excuse to track down III, IV, and V.

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2010, 04:13:59 AM »
I'm voting for Wario Land III because, as TYP demonstrated, it is held in the very highest regard for portable games of the GB/GBC era. An interesting side note is that Wario Land III was developed by Nintendo R&D1, the creators of Metroid and also the developers of Super Metroid, Fusion and Zero Mission. Metroid II, however, was developed by Intelligent Systems, best known for the Famicom/Advance Wars games and Fire Emblem. The two studios have also split the development duties on the WarioWare games, with Intelligent Systems being responsible for Touched and the recent DIY, I believe.
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2010, 04:19:12 AM »
That makes sense. Wario Land III has some exploratory elements to it not unlike a Metroid game.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2010, 09:00:48 AM »
Why wait for even years? Do a 'Game Boy Becomes Game Man: Now It Can Legally Drink In The US!' feature where you celebrate it's 21st year.

I was thinking a feature could be done with the 3DS comes out about the history of Nintendo handhelds. ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.