Author Topic: DS2 Might Get Announced At E3  (Read 19554 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: DS2 Might Get Announced At E3
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2010, 04:20:41 AM »
In the end, does it matter?

They could bring back the "Gameboy" name if they really wanted to anyways.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »
Was DS ever officially defined in the first place?

I know we assumed Dual Screen, but wasn't it also internally referred to as Developer System or something like that?

I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure it does mean "Dual Screen".

I really love Nintendo and all, but let's face it... they suck terribly when it comes to naming their systems. GBA, N64, DS, Wii, etc. are all examples of systems which were cool and very popular, but their names were unimaginative or just kinda bland. MS and Sony aren't really any better, though, because they just name their next system after the old one and put a number on it (PS1, PS2, PS3... ETC. Don't be surprised if there's a PS4).

SEGA and Atari might have made flop-worthy systems, but we have to give them credit because they REALLY knew how to give them cool names. Dreamcast was a cool name, as was the Atari Jaguar and Lynx. Even if you didn't know anything about those systems, you'd still be intrigued just because of the awesome names.

Nintendo is like those movie studios that make kickass movies with explosions and cool action, but then FUBAR the name with something bland and uninteresting that doesn't really grab your attention or excite your imagination. Why can't we have a Nintendo "Excalibur" system? or a Nintendo "Raptor". These are the sorts of names I'd rather see the DS2 have than, well... "DS2".
is your sanity...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2010, 09:18:16 AM »
I distinctly remember an interview talking about the DS name.  Nintendo stated that they always felt the DS was a "developers system" designed to give developers what they would want and need to design portable games.  The Dual Screen was speculation, but also never denied...so I would say it could stand or either, both or neither.

Now, I think the DS name should stand if the product is similar to the DS.  Meaning it has at least all the features of the DSi and potentially more.  I like the idea of the Developer System, and the DS should only get an upgrade, it if provides more of what developers desire to create new and original games. 

Some sort of motion control, multi-touch screens, an analog nub or some sort... we don't need more buttons, I think the DS has proven to be non intimidating on buttons, but provides developers enough choices and options for control. 

I would say a cool name would be DSX (like in Next) but the X is too prominently associated with Microsoft.  But I definitely don't like number root either.  Also, I think the Gameboy IP is pretty worn out, I wouldn't continue it...and I think bringing the 'boy' back into the picture is not good marketing.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2010, 02:56:10 PM »
Was DS ever officially defined in the first place?

I know we assumed Dual Screen, but wasn't it also internally referred to as Developer System or something like that?

Officially, it stands for Dual Screen. Nintendo did once refer to it as the Developer System in a promo video or press conference, but it was a sort of joke. Not meant to be funny but rather to reflect the versatility of the hardware. I think the same context included a few other fake meanings starting with D and S.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2010, 03:36:50 PM »
Actually, according to Nintendo it officially stands for "Developers System" and also (this is the order they mention) "Dual Screen"). It's right in the FAQ section of their website: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/ds/faq.jsp#ds

For those who don't want to go, here is their exact response:

To our developers, it stands for "Developers' System," since we believe it gives game creators brand new tools which will lead to more innovative games for the world's players.

It can also stand for "Dual Screen."

Kashogi, I don't think they will ever call something "Gameboy", I could see them bring back "Game Boy" though (I know what you meant, but it irks me when people write it wrong despite the name being 21 years old).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2010, 06:09:55 PM »
I like the Gameboy name, and I'm sad to see it retired. I grew up with that as my handheld...

But at the same time I can see why they retired it. "Boy" implies the game is for children and male children at that, so it might turn someone off to it if they were an adult or a girl because they might think its not for them. Nintendo wants to cater to all demographics, so anything named "boy" is kinda a no-no. They also probably wanted to get rid of the "Gameboy" name to help shake off the old "Nintendo is KIIDDDIEZ" label.

The DS has been very popular with adults and females with games like brain age and so forth in a way that the Gameboy never really was. The DS titles are the main reason why this is, but I think having a gender and age neutral name probably helped a bit as well.

Would a grownup feel comfortable buying something named "gameboy"? Some might think its just a children's toy and go for the PSP or something else instead. So getting rid of that name probably helped Nintendo out somewhat this generation. But all the same, I am still kinda sad to see the name fade away..
is your sanity...

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2010, 06:13:06 PM »
They just have to call it "GAME MAN." The MANLY handheld.

It's...MANLY.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2010, 07:28:01 PM »
I think they didn't use Game Boy (not Gameboy, geez) because they were worried about the DS and didn't want to risk tainting the Game Boy name. Besides, how is Game Boy any worse than "PlayStation"? PlayStation sounds like one of those little game stations that Mattel makes for 3 year olds.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2010, 07:33:55 PM »
Because Gameboy (teehee) ties the system to a specific gender. Gameboy sorta alienates the female players.

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2010, 11:30:18 PM »
Game Boy also hints that it's intended for a certain age... "boy" might be considered either under 18 or under 12 (or whatever) depending on who you ask. Even though it's a silly name "play station" doesn't really alienate any category of people. Nor does the name "DS" alienate anyone.

I would think for the reasons of age and gender association, Nintendo will never go back to the Game Boy name. (But who knows with Nintendo.)
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2010, 01:58:56 AM »
You guys are repeating exactly what I said in my post.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2010, 02:05:23 AM »
GAMEBOY!!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2010, 03:20:58 AM »
Nintendo Parthenon
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2010, 03:25:27 AM »
Gimmick Advance
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2010, 07:20:01 AM »
"Wii, Jr." might MIGHT be a good name for the next Nintendo handheld. Remember, I said MIGHT. Or how about "Wii Pocket" or "Pocket Wii"?

I think we're getting to a point where handhelds and consoles are starting to coalesce as the capabilities of consoles reach their technical limits, and handhelds get closer and closer. There is absolutely no reason at all that the next Nintendo handheld can't be at least as powerful as a GC, if not the Wii itself. Sony's handheld is the "Playstation Portable", so why can't there be a "Wii Station Portable"?
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2010, 09:44:23 AM »
"Wii, Jr." might MIGHT be a good name for the next Nintendo handheld. Remember, I said MIGHT. Or how about "Wii Pocket" or "Pocket Wii"?

LMFAO. You are the worst at this.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2010, 10:49:11 AM »
What I dont understand, is why people think that Nintendo would drop the much more popular 1st place systems name DS for the (while still very successful) less popular 2nd place system name Wii?

The DS has sold about twice as many units as the Wii and everyone and their momma has their own unit. It is a household name and appeals to all gamer types, even the H4RDCOR3Z!!11!!. Why would you lose the recognition of the most popular gaming hardware ever (and it's still selling by the truck load)to rebrand your next portable console(which is likely to be a direct upgrade to the last handheld) to the home console name?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2010, 10:59:03 AM »
You are forgetting that DS also came out 2 years earlier than Wii and a lot of people kept upgrading to the newer DS version. I am not saying the next handheld will have "Wii" in its name, but I think it's plausible and is called branding.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2010, 02:41:01 PM »
Um.... I called it branding, but why re-brand (as I already said) the DS, when that is the more popular of the 2, to the name Wii Jr or whatever when the DS is the systems with the widest appeal amongst all gaming demographics including the ones that the Wii is having trouble with?

That would be like painting the DS into a corner that didn't previously exist for it, and now it will only be on the radar of those that liked the Wii and not those that were in love with the original DS. You are limiting it's appeal by not directly associating it to the DS brand and instead rebranding it to something aligned with the Wii. It would be different if the DS2 and the Wii were almost exactly alike, but they are two completely different ways of playing games unlike the Playstation2 and the PSP.

It wouldn't make sense.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2010, 04:28:29 PM »
the only brand that matters in this regard is Nintendo
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2010, 05:15:13 PM »
Wow Perm. I'm impressed. That was one of the more thoughtful statements I've read in a while and it came from you!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2010, 05:36:52 PM »
the only brand that matters in this regard is Nintendo

Then why is the Wii the first Nintendo console to not have "Nintendo" in the name? In fact, you have to look pretty hard to even find their name on anything Wii-related.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2010, 05:39:15 PM »
Like people don't know both the DS and Wii are made by Nintendo :rollseyes:

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2010, 05:58:13 PM »
I know that. My point was that he said that the Nintendo brand is the one that matters most, but it is NOT on their current system. It's "Wii", not "Nintendo Wii".

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2010, 06:23:32 PM »
One could argue that more publications, be it gaming or non-gaming, refer to the Wii as the Nintendo Wii.