Author Topic: Newscast Game Club Discussion - Mega Man 10  (Read 24455 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Newscast Game Club Discussion - Mega Man 10
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2010, 05:36:56 PM »
I'm not sure what you folks plan on discussing on the podcast, but the one thing I'm curious about are your thoughts on the retro style. Why do you feel having an 8-bit NES style is better than progressing the series?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 05:38:56 PM by Mop it up »

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2010, 05:49:55 PM »
Yeah, that's definitely one thing I'd like to discuss as well.   One of the questions I threw around in the email thread as we planned the episode was "can this style of game exist in perpetuity, or are they going to eventually wear out their retro welcome, so to speak"
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2010, 05:55:47 PM »
I'd like them to revisit the art style of MM8, which I liked. I also like Jonny's RFN suggestion that they continue the SNES MMX games in the same art style.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2010, 06:37:10 PM »
Personally, I'll take the 8-bit style of MM9 and MM10 over he wonky retro-look of Konami's ReBirth series any day.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2010, 11:30:11 PM »
I hate the Block Devil and all other Wily bosses like him. And of course, he's weak to Thunder Wool, a weapon so hard to use that you have to arc it above the target to do any serious damage.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2010, 12:11:32 AM »
Yeah, all Devil bosses are evil. None moreso than the MM9 version, though.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2010, 01:29:08 AM »
I hate the Block Devil and all other Wily bosses like him. And of course, he's weak to Thunder Wool, a weapon so hard to use that you have to arc it above the target to do any serious damage.
I don't find that to be the optimum weapon to use. Instead, you should use the Triple Blade. Yeah it technically does 1/28 damage, but if you're up close then all three blades hit and it does 3 damage. Plus, when the eye appears underneath the platform to make the blocks jump, you can hit it with the Triple Blade by doing a soft jump and firing in the air. Just make sure you enter the battle with full Triple Blade, and be sure you refill it on the next stage!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2010, 07:39:44 AM »
You can also use the Rebound Striker for good effect on it. That's what I picked by accident when my original choice ran out of energy and it worked really well.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2010, 09:25:33 AM »
Triple Blade is so awesome. It's one of my favorite Mega Man weapons.

I'm still infatuated with this game even though I've beaten it completely twice, and fought the Robot Masters many many times.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2010, 07:54:39 PM »
I must not be observant because I literally just found the challenges section of the game.  It's mostly great!  There are a few ridiculously hard/stupid challenges (especially towards the beginning of the list) but there are a lot of really fun--and challenging--ones.  I'm surprised no one else has mentioned them!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2010, 09:02:19 PM »
So for shiggles, I decided to try Easy Mode and Protoman simultaneously - beat it in 1:01:44 and got the achievement for no continues.

They add the item from Mega Man 1 that restores everything on the spot - and there's two in every level. Add in the much easier enemies and it's even easier than beating 4 for the nth time.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2010, 01:13:01 PM »
After taking more than a month off from MM10 I finally came back to it this morning to beat the Wily stages.  I think this is easily the worst Wily castle ever.  The stages themselves weren't too bad but the bosses were pretty horrific--excluding the Crab boss.

The 3 bosses of the first stage were particularly bad.  Not only was the art design pretty bad but their weaknesses seem to be completely random--you're really gonna try to tell me that Wood Man's not weak against Wheel Cutter?!  Completely ridiculous.

The bosses seemed really hard for no reason other than for the sake of making you use E-tanks.  As Jonny mentioned before, the Devil in Wily stage 3 was truly evil and I think it's impossible to beat Wily's first form in the 4th Wily stage without taking damage.

After beating MM10 it really makes me want to go back and replay MM9--it's a much better game in my opinion.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2010, 04:50:50 PM »
The weaknesses of the Wily Archive bosses are based mostly on their weakness from their respective games. Wood Man's weakness was Atomic Fire, therefore making Solar Blaze his weakness in this game.

I feel Mega Man 9 has the worst Wily stages of the series (and some of the worst stage designs overall). It's full of cheap tricks and traps that are pretty much impossible to avoid unless you know what's coming. There's also a part in the second stage where you need to make a pixel-perfect jump to avoid a low ceiling and get over some spikes. The boss of that stage is also one of the cheapest and most boring bosses that I've ever seen, though the Block Devil in MM10 is pretty bad as well.

I think it's impossible to beat Wily's first form in the 4th Wily stage without taking damage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ndzQxLZNuQ
Go to 6:00.