Author Topic: Newscast Game Club Discussion - Mega Man 10  (Read 24332 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: Newscast Game Club Discussion - Mega Man 10
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 12:05:38 PM »
Wow, branching paths? They were in MM6 but I didn't expect them to return in these revivals. Maybe the next game will have a jet pack. ;-)
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 12:55:10 PM »
So I caught up on MM9 and got to the first Wily stage. I think I quit last time at the giant fire beams that you have to freeze with the Concrete Shot, and that's probably where I'll quit this time, too. I've always hated things like that, going back to Quick Man's stage in MM2.

For that part, forget about using the concrete shot and just use Rush's spring ability to reach those ladders. It's much quicker and easier, although you still have to use timing to avoid that second beam.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 01:17:13 PM »
Played about an hour last night. Love it so far, though it definately feels different from MM9. It's more in the style of the later-era MM games. More gimmicky, with more ridiculous enemies and bosses. I beat Pump Man and Solar Man but got my ass handed to me in Nitro Man's stage. I got to Commando Man, but timing my jump to avoid his earthquake stomp AND his missile is really tough.

I intent to at least beat Sheep Man tonight, 'cause his stage is ridonkulous!
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 08:22:55 PM »
All right, I'm just curious about something, and I hope the lot of you are willing to offer me some insight.

Are all of you Mega Man fans?
When did you first get into the series? How many of the ten Mega Man games have you played? Which aspects of the series do you like? What is it which attracts you to the 8-bit NES style instead of seeing the series progress?

I'm starting to wonder if the only reason I like the NES Mega Man games is because I grew up with them. I didn't really like MM9 that much and I think 10 is even worse. Everyone seems to like them though, and I just don't get it. Maybe heaing about why you folks like them would clear some things up.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 09:53:22 PM »
Just beat my first ROBOT MASTAH this evening, the incomparable Sheep Man.  Was actually pretty easy, after doing a few run-throughs last night.

Mop it up, I played all 6 NES MM games when I was a kid, without any cheat codes or Game Geneie help.  It was something of a pride point for me.  When I got MM 9 last year, I was very excited but the game was so much harder than any of the MM games on NES that I was turned off.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2010, 11:10:34 PM »
I don't actually think MM9 is any harder than the original NES games, but that seems to be a common debate. Maybe it's not worth getting into here.

I failed out of the first two levels I tried in MM10, but on my third choice, I beat Nitro Man on the first try (thanks to an Energy Tank that I found in the level). Put down my screws/bolts for the Energy Balancer, too. The level design and music seem to be very good so far. Loving the little interface tweaks, like separating weapons from items on the sub-screen.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 11:11:31 PM »
Update: 4 of 8 Masters down. Solar Man, Sheep Man, Chill Man, Pump Man. A list provided will be burninated in the matter of a peasant's thatched-roof cottage shortly.

My first Mega Man was 4, but I rented 2 and 3 a LOT when I was a kid. I've beaten 1-9 by way of the Anniversary Collection (Gamecube version), and wish 8 would die in a fire.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2010, 11:35:10 PM »
Still really enjoying it, just got to Wily's castle. Solar Man gave me so much trouble, until I used the Water Shield and wrecked him. The game's pretty awesome so far. I think Zach made the point that Mega Man 9 felt like it was an early Mega Man game, and Mega Man 10 feels like a riff off of the later ones. That definitely seems to be the case.

I played Mega Man 1, 2, 3, and 6 when I was younger. Then I kind of disliked the franchise until Mega Man 9. I recently got really into the series with a few friends.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 09:38:28 AM »
I haven't really played 9 beyond the Galaxy Man stage, so I have no real basis for comparing it to early series games.  I think that the stage turned me off because I felt like there were a lot of cheap deaths in the game.  I'll probably try to pick it up again after playing through this. 

I'd agree with the assessment that Mega Man 10 feels like some of the later games.  Right now, it reminds me a little of four, but I've only played (and defeated) the Solar Man, Sheep Man and Pump Man stages.   If there's one thing that I feel that's missing so far, it's the giant animal robot designs that were present in 2, 3, 4 (I can't speak for later games)....  I sort of feel like many of the enemies I've seen so far are fine, but they aren't that visually interesting either.  (What's up with the cursor enemy in Sheep Man's stage?  Seems a bit surreal.) 

@Mop It Up:  I'm 33 (old), so I was young enough for Mega Man 2 to be my first exposure to the series when it came out.  I saw the cool writeups that Nintendo Power did on it back in the day, and I just had to rent it...a lot.  There's just something about that game that makes me still rank it as my favorite Mega Man ever.   I still think there's something about the music and stage design in that game retains something that just isn't present in many of the sequels.   I went back after that and played through the original game. I'll admit that I had to use the Elecman weapon cheat on the Yellow Devil/Rock Monster; the prospect of having no saves or passwords will do that to you if you're just renting the game. 

Later, when Mega Man 3 was published, I bought it and played it constantly.  It's probably my second favorite in the series.  It's one of those games I would pick up and play repeatedly, mainly because I felt that the slide mechanic added a lot to the gameplay, I felt like having the mobility of the slide move helped to even the playing field a little, and I still miss that move in 9 and 10.  I kind of feel like it was lame to give it to Proto Man.    Anyway, if I ever pull out my copy of the Mega Man collection, 1, 2 and 3 are still my favorite games to play.  To this day, I'm probably good enough at 2 and 3 to beat all of the robot masters with the normal gun.   I don't think it's just nostalgia, those were really good games for the time.

I felt like some of the games began to get stale after that.  I have played 4 - 8 at some point or another, but I never cared enough to make my way through the Wily portions of the game.   I like 4, though I felt like they were really starting to recycle ideas/weapons there.    The robot masters and stages of 5 & 6 just felt uninspired.   7 was decent/fun and had a bit of nostalgia factor (Wily stealing old robot masters from the Robot Museum), but I've never made it all the way through it, through.  8 is just an abomination; let us not speak of it. 

If I were to decide to go back and try to beat any of the old games, it would probably be 6.  I like the robot part upgrade mechanics that were available in that game.   
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 11:05:33 AM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 01:11:53 PM »
This seems like a good place to post this.

Mega Man 10's Secret Extra Robot Masters Revealed

FUTURE DLC SPOILERS AHOY!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 01:16:27 PM »
Played and beat all the NES Mega Man games and all the MMX games prior to 7, which I never played. I would like to find and play X8, though. I've heard it's good. Also beat Powered UP and Maverick Hunter X.

I love the series. It's very bare-bones twitch gaming with a lot of layout and pattern memorization involved, but it's so pretty and revels in its retro goodness that I don't care. So you could say I'm a big Mega Man fan.

@Vudu: Seriously?!? AWESOME!

I was going to play more MM10 last night, but Bioshock 2 was $20 thanks to some Blu-Ray movies I didn't want anymore, so that...kinda sucked me in.

Strike Man's stage = Tomahawk Man's stage.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2010, 10:26:33 PM »
So I'm saved now at the final sprint to the finish. Thanks to sheer repetition, I now have 5 E-Tanks and the dreaded M-Tank (which is being reserved for the boss reunion).

There is one section just past the halfway point of the second stage where we nearly had a WiiHaveAProblem incident - breakable ice blocks over bottomless pits and a spike well at the end = much rage. Especially with a checkpoint BEFORE the annoying miniboss.

The first level of the castle has some nice fanservice in the form of one boss from each of the first 9 games. If you want the easiest time and extra E-Tanks, go through a breakable floor, then ignore the second breakable floor and go down.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2010, 03:45:11 AM »
Well, I beat the game on Normal. It took only and hour and a half, though having advance knowledge of the stages from playing on Easy definitely helped. I'm still disappointed in the special weapons, some of them are just lame and most have specialized uses. There aren't really any weapons that I could see myself using for an entire stage like in previous MM games, partly because they lose energy too fast. The music isn't very good either, it just isn't very melodic and catchy. I don't know terms for analyzing music so I can't quite say much about it. The few tunes that were okay were Solar Man, Pump Man, Wily Castle 3 and 4, and the credits. One thing I do like is the absurdity of some of the stages, like Strike Man's sports themed level. I also find the bosses to be unsurpassed in ridiculousness, Pump Man still cracks me up when I fight him. My final verdict: This game is all right, but like MM9, I don't feel as if it is as good as the original NES series. It is better than MM8 though, and possibly MM7.

Now I need to decide if I want to subject myself to Hard Mode. I played two stages, Sheep Man and Pump Man. The latter I used two energy tanks to beat, and the former I used four. If the lot of you think the normal game is difficult then Hard Mode will make you cry. I think I'll need to wait until I get a Classic Controller as the Wiimote on its side just doesn't cut it for the kind of reaction time needed.

@Mop It Up:  I'm 33 (old), so I was young enough for Mega Man 2 to be my first exposure to the series when it came out. 
Mega Man 2 was the first one I played as well, and I'm sure that is part of why it is still my favourite. Not that it isn't a great game or anything, but since it was my first experience then it was something more special than the others. I agree with you about the stages and music, I can't quite describe what it is but MM1, 2, and 3 all seem to have a quality that is missing from the later games. In the case of the music, I wonder if it is because MM2's music was composed with those 8-bit instruments in mind, whereas MM9 and 10's music was not. The reason I wonder this is because I've heard some fan-made remixes of MM9's music that I thought were good and better than the originals, but many remixes of music from MM1, 2, and 3 just don't sound right.

I also think that they shouldn't have given the slide and charge shot to Proto Man, those two things opened up some nice gameplay opportunities.

Part of why I got into the series is because my older brother would tease me that I couldn't beat any of them. I wasn't all that into the games at first, but hey, if it means shutting up an annoying brother then that was my prize and motivation for playing the games. I have not beat MM1 though. Don't tell my brother that.

Mop it up, I played all 6 NES MM games when I was a kid, without any cheat codes or Game Geneie help.  It was something of a pride point for me.  When I got MM 9 last year, I was very excited but the game was so much harder than any of the MM games on NES that I was turned off.
I'm kind of surprised when people say MM9 is more difficult than the NES series as I don't think this myself. However, I wonder if that's because things have changed. How long ago did you last play those Mega Man games? Perhaps MM9 was difficult partly because you weren't used to the series anymore. As for me, I played them a lot back then and it was so long ago that perhaps I don't remember the old games being overly difficult since they aren't anymore.

Also, please do not call me "Mop it up."

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2010, 08:17:38 AM »
Sorry, I will strike it from my vocabulary.

I played Mega Man 2 on VC pretty much immediately before Mega Man 9 came out in 2008, and found it to be INCREDIBLY easy compared to MM9.  Now, I know there's something to be said for the fact that I've played it before, but these games are more based on stage memory and reflexes, and having played the game 10 years prior doesn't really help you when you come back.   I think Mega Man 9 is several orders of magnitude more difficult than Mega Man 2, almost to a comedic effect.   Also, I had MM Collection on Gamecube a few years back, and played through the first 3-4 games before I put it down and ended up eventually selling it.  I don't remember having nearly the problem with those games that I would eventually have with MM9.

I'm still only one robot master into MM10.  I tried to play through Pump Man's stage last night and found it too frustrating, so I quit out.   I'll take another stab at it tonight.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 09:28:30 AM »
I got to Wily Stage 2, but then backed out to show someone a robot master level. Now I'm back on Wily 1, and I keep on messing up in moronic ways.

At this point, I'll probably tackle it on the weekend. I got the Monster Hunter Tri demo and Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing yesterday.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2010, 12:53:53 PM »
Sweet.  Can we look forward to hearing your Monster Hunter demo impressions on the podcast?  I'm not sure I can find the demo around here and am really on the fence about getting this one, but Lindy's NWR Monster Hunter club thread is tempting me. 

I'm hesitant to get it because I just don't have that much gaming time to set aside these days.   Getting married and having children can do that to you.  Incidentally, it's also why I haven't been able to play Mega Man 10 since the first night I downloaded it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 05:27:47 PM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010, 01:39:32 PM »
I'm sad that everyone--except Drew--seems much father into the game than I am.  I've played for almost 2 hours and I've only managed to beat two robot masters (Chill Man and Sheep Man).  I figured out that I can use Thunder Wool to make quick work of Dive Man so now it's just a matter of using the awkward weapon to claim my third boss.

I'm finding this game much more challenging than Mega Man 9.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2010, 02:17:07 PM »
I'm not much farther than you, vudu. I played for a long time last night, beat Chill Man and Sheep Man, then got fracking OWNED by the last four robot masters. They all do ridiculous amounts of damage to you, and it seems like I've gotten myself into a situation where I got all the wrong weapons, and none of these last four bosses are weak against any of my weapons.

Looks like I might have to power through one of them with a bunch of E-Tanks. I'm noticing that the bosses in this game do TONS of damage to Mega Man. Boss order seems unusually important this time around.

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2010, 02:28:23 PM »
I have heard comments that the robot masters in MM10 can still be challenging even if you are using the "right" weapon.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2010, 05:25:13 PM »
I have heard comments that the robot masters in MM10 can still be challenging even if you are using the "right" weapon.

When I got to the end, I talked to some people about the boss weaknesses. I'm pretty sure I was way off :/ so I can't really comment on this. I did use some E-Tanks on the bosses though.

Also, I'll be writing up some impressions for NWR on Monster Hunter Tri (my bad for not saying that in response to Sundoulos' other comment) in the next day or so. I want to play it a little more before I do. And I think I'll be mentioning it on Newscast, though I'm not sure how in-depth I'll get. My early thoughts are that it will be awesome online, but I don't think I'll be playing it offline too much.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 01:29:01 PM by NWR_Neal »
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2010, 05:38:56 PM »
Online? How would you play it online? You mean leaderboards?

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2010, 11:01:03 AM »
Beat Chill Man last night.   I couldn't guess who to tackle next, so I tried the Blade Man and Strike Man stages.  Didn't even make it to the boss on the Strike Man stage.  I did make it to Blade Man, but I guess that I didn't have the right weapon.  I never even came close to killing him just using the Mega Buster. 

Then I tried the Nitro Man stage...holy crud!  I think I can take it if I try it again, but those train cars/trucks/whatever certainly took me by surprise.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:28:15 PM by Sundoulos »

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »

Well for instance, although Pump Man is technically weak to Sheep Man's weapon, it's extremely hard to hit him with it. You're better off just using the Mega Buster. Luckily, Pump Man has a pretty easy pattern to avoid.

If anyone's having trouble on Blade Man, my strategy was to stay behind him (or under him at least). There are only five places in the room he can ever be, and there are multiple safe spots for each position.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2010, 02:42:50 AM »
I bought this yesterday evening and played it for about 40 minutes. I've only beaten Strike Man thus far (by the skin of my teeth - if his last attack connected, I would have been dead) and had a stab at Blade Man's level, but stopped after repeatedly getting knocked back off that seesaw platform into the abyss.

Enjoying it so far. I'll give more in-depth thoughts once I'm further along. I can't comment on the soundtrack much, as I've heard just two songs -- that being said, I really like the music I've heard. Strike Man's stage has the familiar fast-paced main melody which we expect from Mega Man music, injected with a very fitting sports-themed tune.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2010, 09:01:41 AM »
Yeah, I thought they did a good job with Strike Man's theme.  The Sheep Man, Blade Man, Solar Man, and Nitro Man themes are pretty good, too. 

I knocked down the rest of the robot masters last night;  Nitro Man, Strike Man and Commando Man fell pretty easily.   Still had trouble getting Blade Man, but I followed Johnny's advice above and finally got him. 

I'll probably tackle Wily's Castle before the weekend is up.