Author Topic: Verizon phones  (Read 129095 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Verizon phones
« Reply #675 on: May 19, 2012, 08:27:07 PM »
I'll have to see what the shared plans are. I saw on some webpage before (don't remember where I found it either) that showed Verizon had a 22GB plan for $99...which is a lot, but it's certainly cheaper than 11 2GB (or at the new doubled rate, 5.5 4GB plans). We have 5 phones on our family plan, so if that's what we went with, it would actually bring the bill down, and certainly be enough for everyone.

Although if they get 4G LTE here before the change takes place...then I'll probably buy a non-subsidized phone and download like there's no tomorrow.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: May 26, 2012, 04:29:03 PM »
Anyone have the Galaxy Note? I was thinking about getting one. And no, I don't think it's too big. In fact, I think all smartphones will eventually be that size.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: May 26, 2012, 05:42:31 PM »
Don't have one, but it's awesome. I'm assuming you have Verizon since this is the Verizon thread...and the Galaxy note is exclusive to AT&T in the US right now, but it's coming to T-Mobile in a couple of weeks, and possible to Verizon a little later as the "Galaxy Journal."

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: May 26, 2012, 07:22:22 PM »
No, I have AT&T.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: May 26, 2012, 10:04:38 PM »
Sorry to hear that.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 05, 2012, 12:23:24 AM »
Galaxy S III is coming to all US carriers (real US carriers) in a few weeks...including Verizon. I believe it may actually be the same exact phone on each carrier (they say it's LTE and HSPA capable), which would make the Verizon version by far the best (assuming you have Verizon), since you could use their 4G LTE network, or unlock the phone and use AT&T or T-Mobile's HSPA networks. Anyway, it's based on (or is) the Japanese version, which has the 1.5Ghz Snapdragon 4 (Krait) CPU and 2GB RAM, which basically smokes everything else. I believe I will be purchasing one ASAP, the best thing ever would be if Samsung releases a lapdock-like add-on like Motorola has for the Atrix, Bionic, RAZR, etc.

Edit - I may have spoken too soon about them all being the same phone (as in LTE and HSPA), but the best part is that since it's launching on all of the networks, Verizon can't jack up the price like they typically do (16GB is $199, 32GB is $249). I hope VZW continues their trend of including 32GB microSD cards, though 64GB would be really nice. I don't know what I would need ~96GB of storage for, but 1080P videos take up a lot of space.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:33:13 AM by Brandogg »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 24, 2012, 04:05:58 AM »
I finally got fed up with my Droid X, after my experience with the phone @ E3, so I call Verizon and requested another replacement but not the same phone.

They sent me a Droid 3 free of charge under my warranty plan. I haven't set it up yet (I'm
kinda in the process), but I also plan on upgrading before the 28th of June.

Why the 28th of June? Because if you don't upgrade before the 28th of June (as in on the 27th at the latest) you will have to pay for an unsubsidized phone if you plan on keeping your Grandfathered Unlimited plan

My plan was to get a Razr Maxx, but I just checked out the Samsung Galaxy S III, and now I need to find out if I can stay grandfathered even if I have to pre-order and not receive the phone till some time after the cutoff date. Galaxy S3 looks pretty bad ass and it's the same price as the Razr Maxx but a much better phone all around.

2 new phones for the price of one!

Does anyone know if the Droid 3 is easy to root? Droid X was a bitch to do anything with.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 24, 2012, 10:12:38 AM »
Droid 3 is simple to root, just run motofail, I believe it will root any Motorola phone that's on Gingerbread. I just installed the leaked ICS update (newest) to my Droid Bionic, and it's pretty f'ing awesome - it also overclocks (or maybe un-underclocks) the phone to 1.2Ghz, making it equal (spec-wise) to the Droid RAZR.

Get the Galaxy S 3 - and yes, if you pre-order it you can keep your unlimited plan. Someone brought in an unlocked GS3 from Saudi Arabia the other day, I held it, and came in my pants. My contract isn't up until November, so I'm screwed if I want to update - but I should probably be able to find a GS3 second-hand for around $250 by then anyway.

Just make sure you get insurance no matter which of those two that you get, replacement screens for the RAZR (and RAZR MAXX) are about $250 right now, I can't even imagine what a GS3 screen costs (720p, LCD and digitizer are fused together, which are also fused to the frame of the phone).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 10:14:38 AM by Brandogg »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 26, 2012, 12:01:12 PM »
We got 4G LTE here in Melbourne, FL a couple weeks ago...and it's fucking great. I average about 20Mbps download and 10Mbps upload. Now if I'm hogging all the bandwidth on my PC, I can just turn on my hotspot and literally double my available bandwidth at home. Still locked in to unlimited, with the "entitlement check" disabled on my phone...good stuff.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 27, 2012, 12:19:52 AM »
I got the Galaxy S3 the other day.

Function-wise, it's fantastic. It's like finally getting out of an abusive relationship (good riddance Droid X). I press buttons/icons, and predictable things happen, and they happen immediately. It's great. I can actually use my phone to do something other than text and occasionally make calls again.

I haven't played around with it too much yet, (the camera is fantastic and so is the screen) but there are 3 things I don't like about it so far.

1. It so damn slippery. You need a case or a replacement back piece just to add some grip. I'm still looking for one I like, so I haven't picked one up myself yet, but it's on the priority list.

2. It's way too quiet. I have to keep my backup phone on as my alarm because the S3 is just too quiet.... and all the built in alarm sounds SUCK!!! since when does a soft babbling creek with a few faint birds chirping wake someone up? I'll have to import sounds for this.

3. Google Search doesn't work right. as your typing, the predictive suggestion text shows up in the drop down below the search bar, but if you click on the predicted text, it won't actually replace what you were currently typing. It will just search what ever unfinished text you had typed yourself, making the whole predictive text part useless other than to check your own spelling while you type it out yourself.

And Bonus #4: Swype is better than whatever built in "swype" comes with the system. But I believe I can replace that... just haven't tried yet.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 27, 2012, 01:46:06 PM »
Try Volume+ from Google Play to increase your volume. They are pretty slippery, but they are fucking beautiful. I got a boner just looking at one the other day. There should be a bazillion different options for a case or even battery cover replacement, since they've already sold 10 million of these and it's the same design model globally.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: July 27, 2012, 10:00:46 PM »
I installed Volume+, we'll see how that works out. thanks for letting me know it existed.

as far as cases and/or replacement back covers.....
I've looked, and haven't found one I like yet.
I'm looking for one that not only adds grip, but also a horizontal kick-stand.

and if I have that, then I probably won't need the horizontal dock that doesn't seem to exist (the only one I found was really ugly).

I would appreciate some help finding one... so if any of you don't mind keeping an eye out and then posting about it if you see one. That would be great

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: July 27, 2012, 10:06:07 PM »
That's the one undeniable benefit of the iPhone: there are tons and tons of options for accessories. Say what you will about everything else, you'll always have more than enough options for cases and whatnot.

Speaking of the iPhone, where the **** is it? I had to pay the money to get mine fixed earlier this month, and would have much rather just upgraded, but I sure as hell wasn't buying a 4S at this point.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #688 on: July 27, 2012, 10:19:47 PM »
A little more looking found me the PERFECT case.

when I originally looked on Amazon, this one didn't show up, but I guess you just have to know exactly what to search for. This also solves my need for a dock, so now I'm really happy.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 27, 2012, 10:37:49 PM »
That's the one undeniable benefit of the iPhone: there are tons and tons of options for accessories. Say what you will about everything else, you'll always have more than enough options for cases and whatnot.
Agreed, even if the majority of the options aren't all that great. The case I originally bought for my iPhone cracked somehow (I never dropped it). I ended up just getting a bumper. That variety was one of the reasons I chose an iPhone.
Speaking of the iPhone, where the **** is it? I had to pay the money to get mine fixed earlier this month, and would have much rather just upgraded, but I sure as hell wasn't buying a 4S at this point.
The 4S came out in October instead of June for whatever reason (presumably to launch further away from the iPad and closer to Christmas, from what I've read) so I would expect the new iPhone in October. I'm probably upgrading next year. As long as I take care of it, I can probably get the 2013 model for free after trade-in at Best Buy. They gave me like $110 for my crappy Blackberry 9700.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: July 27, 2012, 10:46:56 PM »
I'm probably switching to Verizon when I buy my next one, and I'm out of contract since I bought the iPhone 4 at launch, so I could have done that right now, but I was pissed to have to shell out $150 to get it fixed if I wanted to wait for whatever the hell the new model's going to be called.

I was probably going to wait till early next year to do it so I'd have the money for the Wii U launch, but I was already out half the price of a new one anyway and would much rather have spent twice as much for something I wouldn't be replacing in a few months.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 28, 2012, 01:17:27 AM »
A little more looking found me the PERFECT case.

when I originally looked on Amazon, this one didn't show up, but I guess you just have to know exactly what to search for. This also solves my need for a dock, so now I'm really happy.

I forgot to link to the case I found. solves my issues and it looks nice.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008B85DNC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=AY3SA6XQV4F15

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 28, 2012, 01:25:11 AM »
I'm probably switching to Verizon when I buy my next one, and I'm out of contract since I bought the iPhone 4 at launch, so I could have done that right now, but I was pissed to have to shell out $150 to get it fixed if I wanted to wait for whatever the hell the new model's going to be called.

I was probably going to wait till early next year to do it so I'd have the money for the Wii U launch, but I was already out half the price of a new one anyway and would much rather have spent twice as much for something I wouldn't be replacing in a few months.

What was wrong with your iPhone anyway?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 28, 2012, 01:41:39 AM »
Something with the cellular radio. I think it overheated. I wasn't getting any signal at all, and when I tried to restore it I couldn't even get it to activate. I did consider sending it to you, but I needed a quick turnaround time, and Apple got it back to me two days after I sent it. They really do have phenomenal service, although I guess I deserved it for what I paid.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 28, 2012, 02:00:46 AM »
The overheating thing is a real issue. We've been getting several iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4th gens lately that overheat and blow the GPU (or at least that's what it seems to be). Everything works, but no display. Water damage can be a real bitch on these too, for some reason it tends to take out the WiFi chip. Despite what people will say, throwing your phone in a bag of rice after it gets wet is usually a terrible idea. If it happens, take that **** apart IMMEDIATELY.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: August 14, 2012, 09:29:21 PM »
Traded my DROID Bionic for a DROID RAZR today. Lady had left Verizon, but updated her RAZR to official ICS which can't be downgraded and GSM unlocked (as in US AT&T and T-Mobile), luckily my Bionic is on an ICS leak...downgrading now and SIM unlocking it so she can put it on AT&T (even gets 3G internet!). Trading on up! Started with a Thunderbolt...gonna see if I can get anyone to trade me for a Galaxy Nexus soon, and then maybe a Galaxy S 3.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: August 15, 2012, 01:01:26 AM »
Oh darn it. I dunked my pantech crux and gave it the rice treatment afterwards. Oh well, I couldn't see anything on the screen anyway.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: August 24, 2012, 10:45:18 PM »
So, Brandogg, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the news of the day.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: August 24, 2012, 10:51:10 PM »
Somebody got bought off.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 24, 2012, 11:54:08 PM »
The ruling basically means nothing, since this will get appealed, and appealed, and appealed. But either way, I'm a Motorola guy, and I have always said that Samsung copied the "iPhone look" with the Galaxy S and S2 (at least the international designs). I'm sure the final bill (assuming Apple wins appeals for the most part) will be less that 50 million.