Author Topic: Verizon phones  (Read 129070 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Verizon phones
« Reply #650 on: December 21, 2011, 02:38:41 PM »
how did you get $20 off internet?

It was a special promo Verizon sent out to select customers - I get to keep the discount as long as I don't change my plan (i.e. keep unlimited messaging and unlimited data, I think I can change my minutes... but I don't know why I would) until the year 2038.  It's actually coded in the system that way.

Now, eventually, I'm sure Verizon will start introducing new phones that "won't work" with my current plan, requiring me to change it in some way that will make me lose my unlimited data... but, until then or 2038 (whichever comes first), I'm set. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #651 on: December 21, 2011, 02:41:29 PM »
2038 is when Unix time runs out. I hope they get their date system fixed up before then!
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 28, 2012, 12:19:38 AM »
Droid Razr Maxx

tell me all you know. Who has seen it, used it, owns it?

I heard 8 hrs of continuous video playback with 4G enabled or 20+ hrs of talktime on a single charge.

The only thing to not like about it is that you can't remove the battery and it might not be the prettiest phone out there.

Can it be rooted? I need to tether. it's become essential to my 3DS usage on the go (Swapnote) and sometimes laptop and Wii usage (Netflix) when traveling.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 29, 2012, 09:59:02 PM »
I'm not sure if there's root yet (I don't think the phone is even out yet, though I imagine it's identical to the DROID RAZR aside from the battery and housing. I will tell you this though - the phone is fucking amazing. It's incredibly light,  nearly waterproof and is incredibly tough. Oh, and it's fast as a motherfucker. I don't own it, but I finger-banged the demo unit at Best Buy. Good stuff.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 29, 2012, 10:23:01 PM »
Someone warned me of something called subpixelation or something like that.
Something about the pixels not scaling on the screen or something and making it look bad....

then It was suggested that I wait till after March for the ICS phones to start rolling out.... but my screen is 75% blacked out 75% of the time (the other 25% of the time it fades between full full visibility and not being able to see up to 75% of the screen)

It's very annoying... this is my desktop right now

because that's how I have to use my phone if I want to see whats on the screen.

Laggy desktop app, but for the most part it does what I need it to.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 29, 2012, 10:52:52 PM »
Nice desktop. I don't know of any issues with the DROID RAZR, but there's always a handful of bad phones when they first ship. Hopefully someone around here has has a DROID RAZR (or Galaxy Nexus) and wants to upgrade to the MAXX, so they put it on CL for a decent price. I'd jump on it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #656 on: February 04, 2012, 09:32:51 AM »
I'm just gonna drop this here so I don't have to look for it later
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/181762-how-root-your-motorola-droid-razr-windows-only.html

since I assume rooting the regular Razr is no different from the Maxx

I'm gonna try an install of basic Android and see if that fixes the screen issues. If not, I might be a Maxx owner before the weekend is over...

although I would really love a Car Dock to go with the HD Dock

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: February 04, 2012, 10:02:21 PM »
You know what, as bad-ass as the Droid RAZR is, the HTC Rezound is just as bad-ass. It's not as thin, but it is just as light, is prettier (with red LEDs in the capacitive buttons), and has a 720p screen which looks amazing. Not sure what I'm gonna get in November, but I talked to Verizon today (when I activated a Droid Incredible 2 to myself today to get it SIM-unlocked for T-Mobile) and they confirmed that I'm grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan forever, as long as I use a smartphone, even when I upgrade or renew my contract. Pretty read, though it kind of makes me feel stupid for getting the Thunderbolt since I thought it was the only way to not have to get a tiered plan...but I would actually be more upset if I waited for the Bionic only to see the Galaxy Nexus and RAZR released so soon afterwards.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: February 09, 2012, 09:48:57 AM »
Apparently, the Droid 4 is coming out tomorrow. That was fast. The Droid 3 came out less than 7 months ago. From what I've read, with 4G, double the RAM and a slightly faster processor, this is the phone that should have been released last July. It's kind of a slap in the face to all of the original Droid owners who upgraded to the Droid 3, including a friend of mine who upgraded in November. Shame. While I'm more than happy with my iPhone 4S, if the Droid 3 was this phone, I would have had a much harder time deciding between the 2. I would have been fine with this running Gingerbread last year but if I was getting a phone tomorrow, I'd most likely wait, especially if Motorola is going to start releasing newer models of the same line within months. That one of the things I really like about my iPhone. I have the best one for at least the year and Apple supports my model for at least 2 more years after that. In any case, the Droid 4 looks like a good choice for people who prefer physically keyboards. Without actually playing with it, the only real negative I see is that it's not launching with Ice Cream Sandwich though, as far as I know, only the Galaxy Nexus currently runs the latest version of Android.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: February 09, 2012, 03:57:49 PM »
Apparently, the Droid 4 is coming out tomorrow. That was fast. The Droid 3 came out less than 7 months ago. From what I've read, with 4G, double the RAM and a slightly faster processor, this is the phone that should have been released last July. It's kind of a slap in the face to all of the original Droid owners who upgraded to the Droid 3, including a friend of mine who upgraded in November. Shame. While I'm more than happy with my iPhone 4S, if the Droid 3 was this phone, I would have had a much harder time deciding between the 2. I would have been fine with this running Gingerbread last year but if I was getting a phone tomorrow, I'd most likely wait, especially if Motorola is going to start releasing newer models of the same line within months. That one of the things I really like about my iPhone. I have the best one for at least the year and Apple supports my model for at least 2 more years after that. In any case, the Droid 4 looks like a good choice for people who prefer physically keyboards. Without actually playing with it, the only real negative I see is that it's not launching with Ice Cream Sandwich though, as far as I know, only the Galaxy Nexus currently runs the latest version of Android.

I have a rooted image of Ice Cream Sandwich for my Nexus S.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: February 09, 2012, 10:00:34 PM »
Galaxy Nexus is the only phone that shipped with ICS, but it's on tons of devices now. I've had it on my Xoom for a couple months.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #661 on: February 09, 2012, 10:11:04 PM »
Is there any word of a Droid X3 coming out soon?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a RazrMaxx, but a DX3 would fit my current accessories (assuming they keep the same form factor again) and that would be very nice.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #662 on: February 11, 2012, 01:35:05 AM »
I picked up the Droid 4 earlier today. I'll comment on it this weekend.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 20, 2012, 02:11:55 AM »
So I called Verizon today about upgrading my phone to the Razr Maxx and tried to work out a deal for NE2 and Corporate discounts + special treatment for longtime customer and birthday gifts. Told them all about my current phone issues and previous complaints on record with my current phone.

Long story short, they are sending me a replacement Droid X for free due to my phone apparently having had every known manufacturing defect on record and me also having an extended warranty. (Wish I had called them sooner....)

So I get to hold out on an upgrade for just a bit longer.
Now I just need to flash my phone back to OTA status without knowing if I can see the screen or not. Should be fun.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:15:08 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 20, 2012, 09:45:03 AM »
This is the second month Verizon has sent me a text alerting me that I've reached 50% of my data allowance. My billing cycle ends tomorrow. I guess I play Words With Friends a lot.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 20, 2012, 10:00:42 AM »
Unlmited data plan?

Words with friends seems to eat alot of bandwidth with the checking for updates every 60 seconds. (I don't know if it's that often, but it seemed like it when I could use my screen to actually play the game.)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: February 20, 2012, 12:09:21 PM »
Nah, I'm on the 2GB plan. Verizon got rid of unlimited data in July and I switched in October. I'm never coming close to going over my limit.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: February 20, 2012, 01:17:47 PM »
Grandfathered into unlimited data for life, muthafuckaaaa!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 28, 2012, 02:03:26 AM »
Free 4G Phones for Loyalty Customers on Verizon
http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/27/2827660/verizon-galaxy-nexus-droid-razr-stratosphere-free
Free Nexus, Razr or Stratosphere for existing loyalty customers that sign up for new 2yr contracts.

"South Region" only?

I'm gonna call sometime tomorrow and inquire more. See if I can get a Razr Maxx instead or for the price difference on my account ($50).

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: March 19, 2012, 10:06:43 AM »
Engadget has a blurry cam pic of a new Motorola phone with a 4.6 inch screen which is the same size as the Galaxy Nexus screen. Originally, I thought that a 4.6 inch screen might be too big but then I discovered Draw Something and now it totally seems like the minimum size every screen on every single smartphone in existence should have forever. I know Draw Something is just glorified Pictionary but damn, it's fun. If I had money to spare (I don't, I'm mega poor), I'd consider getting a tablet for Draw Something and watching Archer on Netflix.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:08:42 AM by Adrock »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: March 19, 2012, 11:36:10 AM »
Whatever it is, it gave me a boner. I'm not getting a new phone until November though, which seems far away, but if HTC would hurry up and release their ICS build for the Thunderbolt it wouldn't seem that long.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 14, 2012, 10:31:40 AM »
I picked up a Droid Bionic with a cracked LCD yesterday for $70. Activated and flashed ICS on it, and I'm really liking it. LCD is already  on it's way ($66), so $136 for a Bionic off contract is a pretty nice deal. Most likely gonna sell my Thunderbolt after I fix this one (which should take about 5 minutes).

If anyone is looking for a rooted Thunderbolt with a car dock, send me a PM and we can work something out. I'll sell it for like $175 shipped w/ original box, charge cable and wall charger, and the car dock.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: May 18, 2012, 11:25:53 PM »
Bad news, Verizon customers. If you like your unlimited data plan and want to keep it, you can no longer get subsidized prices for phones, meaning you'll be paying about twice as much for them. Apparently this is an improvement over their original plan, in which you had no option and lost unlimited no matter what.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 19, 2012, 12:13:25 AM »
That will happen eventually (and could be pretty soon), but it has not happened yet...especially considering Verizon doesn't even have any shared data plans yet.

I am really digging the Bionic, btw (and sold my Thunderbolt for $150). No ICS yet, but it's really snappy as is.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 19, 2012, 12:43:13 AM »
I will be getting my new subsidized upgrade in June to enjoy with my unlimited data plan.