Author Topic: Verizon phones  (Read 129087 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Verizon phones
« Reply #625 on: October 28, 2011, 09:40:36 PM »
Saw that the other day, looks pretty awesome. On another note: Samsung is the number one smartphone manufacturer now. Suck it, everyone else. Looks like they're taking more market share from Nokia than anyone else though. I don't know why anyone even acts like they're excited for the whole Nokia/Windows Phone deal - they're both sinking ships. The Nokia warehouse/factory that used to be right down the street from my house (in Melbourne, FL of all places) has been gone for years, their market share is drying up faster than Steve Jobs' corpse, and Windows Phone is basically dead in the water anyway.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 29, 2011, 08:16:44 AM »
Most people don't buy phones based on operating system. They go to a store and ask the sales rep for a recommendation or just point to a shiny phone and say, "Guh, that one." The vast majority of smartphone users don't know they can root an Android phone and wouldn't even if they did. That's the best thing about Android and the average user couldn't care less about it. That's why I never understood the fanaticism when it comes to anything. Just get what works for you and be happy.

Nokia pretty much just turned the iPod Nano into a phone. The Lumia will stand out in the sea of similar looking phones and there will be people (most likely women) who buy one not because it's a Windows Phone 7 Phone Phone 7 phone but because they can get it in pink (EDIT: magenta, my bad). Will it change the landscape of the mobile phone industry? No. I still like that WP7 exists. It's good for the industry and they all steal/borrow ideas from each other. I don't really care who sells the most phones or which operating system is dominating the market. I care about me and what I get. For example, I downloaded Shantae: Risky's Revenge, a game I already own, for my iPhone just because it was free.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 09:02:55 AM by Adrock »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 31, 2011, 12:40:42 PM »
If someone asked me what smart phone I give a Baby Boomer or above I point them straight to WP7.

An Elitist: iPhone
A Techy: Android (Maybe WP7 Considering the Type.)

Each OS has distinctive Pros and Cons.  Which I think puts phones in a good place.  I would like to see WP7 get a better App Parity with the others (Where is my Hulu Plus app to go with my Netflix one?); I like to see iOS and Android out of the box differentiate themselves a bit more Look and Feel wise.

Now days though it really is mostly about the OS because the phones aren't much different then each other now.  Especially since I'm sure WP7 will probably have a Siri in the next 3 years, it has all the infrastructure already built in but, whats there needs an intelligence upgrade.  I don't know about Android because of its nature.

All that to just say I agree with Adrock.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 31, 2011, 12:47:49 PM »
See that's the funny thing about the iPhone though - it's really more of a Soccer Mom phone. Windows Mobile 5-6.5 I would agree with you on the techie part, but nowadays I'd say it's for grandparents. Siri just gets answers from the Internet, try getting any useful information if you don't have any service or aren't connected to WiFi. Any phone could have a Siri-like experience, Android has had it for years with Google Voice Search.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 31, 2011, 03:58:40 PM »
See that's the funny thing about the iPhone though - it's really more of a Soccer Mom phone. Windows Mobile 5-6.5 I would agree with you on the techie part, but nowadays I'd say it's for grandparents. Siri just gets answers from the Internet, try getting any useful information if you don't have any service or aren't connected to WiFi. Any phone could have a Siri-like experience, Android has had it for years with Google Voice Search.

It explicitly says that it needs an internet connection though. I managed to confuse it last night by playing RFN from my iPod into my iPhone and watch it process infinitely.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #630 on: October 31, 2011, 04:10:10 PM »

It explicitly says that it needs an internet connection though. I managed to confuse it last night by playing RFN from my iPod into my iPhone and watch it process infinitely.
RFN. 
Hunting Boxes and Destroying Robot Overlords.

Bring the Freedom with you.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: November 07, 2011, 02:31:19 PM »
Verizon is doubling your data if you're on the capped plans. This is for 4G LTE phones only, but you don't actually have to reside in a 4G LTE area. If you already have a plan, you can call or go online and have it changed so you get the same deal. I'm grandfathered in to the actual unlimited plan, but this is awfully nice of them when you compare the prices to AT&T. There's no 4G LTE here yet, but if there was, 2GB would last about 15 minutes.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 09, 2011, 05:22:51 PM »
Adobe has halted development on Flash for mobile platforms.

Huh. Who could have possibly imagined that running Flash on mobile devices might not be the best idea?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #633 on: November 09, 2011, 05:48:36 PM »
Batteries the world over rejoice.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 09, 2011, 09:15:33 PM »
That's an odd move, but it probably has a lot to do with the 750 jobs they just cut. Flash runs very nicely on my Thunderbolt and Xoom, and now that dual core 1.2 Ghz and 1GB RAM is basically the standard, this really seems strange. I guess there's hardly any money in getting Flash on a phone, at least they'll still support what is on phones now. Also the newest Flash is going in a different direction than past versions it seems, but the current version of Flash 10/11 on Android now is quite nice. Usually don't have any problems streaming a football game or PPV on my phone or tablet.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #635 on: November 10, 2011, 02:50:15 PM »
Adobe will still continue to support the current version of mobile Flash. I can't comment on the quality since the only device I have used the mobile version on is my DSi and 3DS, but it seemed fine. Since the only mobile device I currently use to browse online is my iPod Touch and iPad, I have no problem with Adobe moving to support HTML5.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 10, 2011, 04:39:54 PM »
That's probably a wise move by Adobe considering that both the leading handheld OS providers (Google and Apple) are slowly transitioning to HTML5. Flash maybe what's used right now, but in 5 years, HTML5 and javascript will be all the rage.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #637 on: November 10, 2011, 05:03:06 PM »
I can't comment on the quality since the only device I have used the mobile version on is my DSi and 3DS, but it seemed fine.
Neither of those devices have Flash.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #638 on: November 10, 2011, 06:05:43 PM »
I thought they did? Hmm, guess I am mistaken.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 11, 2011, 12:09:09 AM »
A lot of people assume that Netflix uses Flash (not saying you do, but a lot of people think that) when it doesn't at all.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 11, 2011, 08:12:31 AM »
The few times I tried watching Netflix on my MacBook Pro, it asked me to uninstall then reinstall Microaoft Silverlight which is why i just stick to watching Netflix on my PS3. Is that what Netflix uses on all platforms?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 11, 2011, 09:33:12 AM »
The few times I tried watching Netflix on my MacBook Pro, it asked me to uninstall then reinstall Microaoft Silverlight which is why i just stick to watching Netflix on my PS3. Is that what Netflix uses on all platforms?
Yes,
Its one of the premier Silverlight Applications.  I have a sneaking suspicion that its even using it on the platforms without native support.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 11, 2011, 12:38:36 PM »
I like Silverlight quite a bit. I use it a lot between Netflix, NHL GameCenter Live and MLS Match Day Live, and I've never had any issues with it. Way better than Flash in my experience.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 11, 2011, 01:32:50 PM »
I'm pretty sure only the Xbox 360 and Windows versions of Netflix use Silverlight...also Microsoft is about to ditch it altogether I believe.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #644 on: November 11, 2011, 01:45:56 PM »
That was just a rumor that started after Microsoft announced their support for HTML5. Microsoft quickly denied it and is planning to release Silverlight 5 soon.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #645 on: November 11, 2011, 01:47:45 PM »
The rumor is that Silverlight 5 is the last version. Heck, the Windows 8 Metro version of Internet Explorer doesn't even support it.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 11, 2011, 01:51:43 PM »
As of last I checked, Microsoft has gone on record to say that it will be moving to HTML 5.  Silverlight is still being used to program Windows Phone 7 applications.  With 7.5 Silverlight could be used in XNA apps if I'm not mistaken on Windows Phone.

I hadn't heard about IE for Win8 not supporting it  but that makes sense.  Microsoft to this day refuses to release a 64bit version of Silverlight so I have to go into Firefox to use Silverlight apps.

Here's an Article on this that was posted just 2 days ago.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:56:04 PM by Ceric »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: December 20, 2011, 02:46:17 PM »
I just want to brag a little about my phone plan.  Now, I know you can get some of this via apps and/or other measures which are against the terms of service with your provider - but everything I'm doing here is 100% on the up-and-up.

So, $59.99 Calling Plan + Unlimited messaging.  That's 450 minutes + Mobile-to-Mobile +N/W + 5 "Friends and Family" numbers... virtually unlimited calling, for all the voice calls I make.  Seriously, one of the local Pizza places is in my top five.

Then, 20% discount off that...

Then, $29.99 for unlimited data.  On a 4G device (can't wait for 4G to launch here... did a speed test and got nearly 20 MBps download in a 4G area).

Then, $20 discount off that unlimited data plan.

Then, $29.99 for unlimited tethering.  Again, 4G (but in a non-4G area for now... sadface.)

Then, 20% discount off that.

So, virtually unlimited calling, unlimited messaging and unlimited data however I want to use it - on the best network - for ~$82 before tax.

When 4G launches here, I am killing my current home internet (which sucks, loses connection all the time, is actually slower than my phone on 3G and is ~$35/month).
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 21, 2011, 11:00:23 AM »
how did you get $20 off internet?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 21, 2011, 11:55:02 AM »
1200 any-network anytime minutes, unlimited text messages and 1GB data on a 30 day contract, 40% discount. £18. Not exactly unlimited everything, but its an insane amount for less than $30/month.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 04:10:09 PM by Plugabugz »