Author Topic: Verizon phones  (Read 129082 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Verizon phones
« Reply #600 on: October 12, 2011, 04:30:37 PM »
I always figured our phones would become our "pocket computer" and our watch or whatever would be linked to it. So I never have to actually fish out my phone unless for extremely important tasks or needing the size of the screen for some reason. Other wise, web surfing, video chat, music playing, text messaging, phone calls, etc. etc. could all be handled by our watches.

So imagine getting a phone call and looking at your watch to see who it is and answering it. Or even cooler, video chatting on your wrist. I could swype texts messages and even access gps among other things on the fly.

Unless batteries and processors make a drastic change in size, having a phone as powerful as the one's today on your wrist isn't feasible for a while. So simply having your watch be the "hub" with which you access your phone, makes a lot more sense.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:35:30 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: October 12, 2011, 04:38:37 PM »
I always figured our phones would become our "pocket computer" and our watch or whatever would be linked to it. So I never have to actually fish out my phone unless for extremely important tasks or needing the size of the screen for some reason. Other wise, web surfing, video chat, music playing, text messaging, phone calls, etc. etc. could all be handled by our watches.

So imagine getting a phone call and looking at your watch to see who it is and answering it. Or even cooler, video chatting on your wrist. I could swype texts messages and even access gps among other things on the fly.

Unless batteries and processors make a drastic change in size, having a phone as powerful as the one's today on your wrist isn't feasible for a while. So simply having your watch be the "hub" with which you access your phone, makes a lot more sense.
You can get that today.  Let me dig to find it.  Was a couple years back and probably on here somewhere.
Here's the Phenom Watch.

I can't seem to find it but I know it exists because I was thinking why wouldn't you just take your phone out of your pocket.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:42:12 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: October 12, 2011, 04:58:37 PM »
I can't seem to find it but I know it exists because I was thinking why wouldn't you just take your phone out of your pocket.

I'll give you 3 good reasons why you wouldn't want to take your phone out of your pocket.

- When you are having a conversation and your phone goes off, digging into your pocket and holding your phone is very rude to whomever you are talking to, even if you are just checking who is trying to contact you. This will only get worse as time goes on because phones are getting more and more powerful and encompassing our entire lives. So the ability to take a quick glance to your wrist to see who's calling or who sent you a text, is much less distracting and much less rude.

- How fast can you access your wrist compared to the inside of your pocket? Point made. Now imagine that speed with NFC. Now you get it.

- Having a phone on your wrist with all the bells and whistles would not only be expensive but more susceptible to damage from stimuli. So, if you have a cheap hub that simply accesses your phone instead, it'll be cheaper to replace if you do break it.

- And its just cool. If you had the first one made, your friends would **** their pants. Bitches would be all over you. And business clients would be immediately impressed.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 05:00:14 PM by Stogi »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: October 15, 2011, 08:25:57 AM »
I'm currently at work. Service, as expected, is much better on Verizon. As for the phone, so far I'm digging it. I'm still getting used to the touch screen. More on the that later.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: October 16, 2011, 08:57:20 AM »
And this phone is the...?
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: October 16, 2011, 10:12:01 AM »
He said in an earlier post that he'd likely buy an iPhone 4S, so it appears he's joined the winning team.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: October 16, 2011, 04:50:22 PM »
If you're on Verizon then you've joined the winning team...as far as phone choices...well...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: October 17, 2011, 03:28:01 AM »
Yeah, I got the iPhone 4s. I didn't feel the need to specify since I've been talking about it for awhile and it was the most recent major phone release. My thoughts:

Verizon vs AT&T
Honestly, there's no comparison. Verizon is awesome, AT&T sucks. I was with AT&T since 2004 via Cingular. That didn't matter until November 2009 I got a phone that required a data plan. AT&T supposedly has the fastest 3G network. That's great and all if you can even fucking get a sustainable 3G connection. Most of the time, I was browsing on the EDGE network which was slower than an old lady in a supermarket. There were other factors contributing to the slow web browsing but AT&T's total ass network deserves the brunt of it.

Verizon offers many of the same perks as AT&T, except roll-over minutes which I've personally deemed pointless since I never used a single roll over minute ever. There are 2 big differences from the switch. The first is, obviously, the network is far more stable. I've been running around a lot this weekend and I've always had a 3G connection. The second is that since most of the people I know are on Verizon, I can take advantage of mobile to mobile unlimited texting. I also get unlimited mobile to mobile calls but I don't talk on the phone often. The only person I need to worry about is my sister who is on AT&T and doesn't know the meaning of brevity.

I'm actually paying less on Verizon because I have the $10 text plan that includes unlimited mobile to mobile messaging  (as opposed to the $15 plan for, I think, 1500 texts I had on AT&T) and I didn't sign up for insurance (more of that later). Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. I lose unlimited data but unlimited data means nothing on a network as spotty as AT&T's. I'll never touch 2GB anyway.

iPhone 4s
It's not really fair to compare it to the Blackberry Bold 9700 outright considering the 9700 is approaching 2 years of age. The iPhone 4s is obviously the better phone in terms of specs and technology simply due to being released in 2011. That said, I'm going more for personal user experience.

Blackberry phones have 3 main advantages: physical keyboard, BBM, and BES. None of those matter to me (BES never did). While I still prefer using physical keyboards, I'm pretty much used to typing on a touchscreen already and my phone was off for most of Saturday after I applied a Best Skins Ever screen protector (which is awesome, by the way, though it loves dust). iOS 5 includes iMessage. The 2 people I previously BBM'd the most are also on Verizon, one got a Samsung Droid Charge in July and the other is getting an Android phone in November so I can't iMessage them but mobile to mobile is just as good. Blackberry Enterprise Server is the only real advantage RIM still has and apparently, they're planning to launch their first QNX smartphone without BES support. If true, they're clearly suffering from an identity crisis and have absolutely no idea (not just slightly no idea) what they're doing anymore so I'm glad to be done with them.

Even by 2009 standards, the web browser on the 9700 was a pain in the ass, a combination of poor hardware and even worse software. It was just outclassed by every other smartphone on the market at the time despite being the top of the line Blackberry upon release. I miss the trackpad which made editing texts and forum posts a cinch so I kind of wish the Home button on the iPhone 4s doubled as a trackpad. Not a huge deal. I'll live.

Web browsing on the iPhone 4s is MOTHERFUCKING PHENOMENAL. This is the main reason I have a smartphone so I'm glad it's a joy to use. So far, I haven't needed Adobe Flash for anything. I can still play youtube videos and Dorkly uses Quicktime. I probably would have been happy with the iPhone 4 but that A5 processor makes everything, not just the browser, really zippy. I don't have a lot of apps and so far, all of them have been free (i.e. Facebook, Facebook Messenger, and Words with Friends). I'm probably not going to play a lot of games on it because that's what I have a 3DS for. Infinity Blade 2 looks pretty amazing, but ehh... I can do without. I'll probably get Angry Birds at some point.

Like the Macs, I'm glad Apple doesn't put any of that undeletable 3rd party bullshit on the iPhone. In fact, there are no pre-loaded 3rd party apps. The iPhone 4s only came with one app I will absolutely never use (Stocks). I shut that off immediately from the Notifications Center. iCloud is interesting but I shut off the one thing I really wanted to use it for: Photo Stream. Apparently, you can't delete individual photos from Photo Stream. You can shut it off but it will delete every photo saved oniCloud which is odd and I'm sure Apple will update that in the future. I'll enable Photo Stream as soon as they fix that. Siri is interesting. I know it can do a lot more, but I'm probably only ever going to use Siri to "text" while driving which doesn't even happen that often. On the 9700, I only texted at red lights and normally, it could wait until I got to wherever I was headed. The camera is great. I don't have a dedicated point and shoot camera. The iPhone camera will be more than enough for my needs. The ability to take nice photos and shoot HD video is one of the main reasons I got the 32GB version.

After 2 years, the 9700 would just get me through the day with average use. The battery used to last 2 full days when I first got it. In its first full day of use the iPhone 4s just about got me through 12 and a half hours with average use. I'm a little weary to see how the battery is going to be in 2 years. I signed up for Applecare Plus instead of getting insurance but I don't think it covers battery replacements, only defective batteries. Depending on how bad it gets, I may pay to replace it but then I'd have to order a new Best Skins Ever since the side screens cover the screws. I'm not sure this counts as a con since the iPhone is generally given high marks for its battery life. It was just a little jarring compared to what I was used to on the 9700. Of course, it does so much more and better so I can't really complain. I suppose 4G would have been nice, but given the beating 4G would have given the battery, I likely would have turned it off. Verizon's 3G is more than good enough for me.

I love the iPhone 4s however, I personally have a few qualms with it. Sure, the glass back looks nice, but I still can't justify it as necessary. I only dropped the 9700 three times. If the back was glass, I would have been fucked. I would have preferred if the back of the iPhone 4s was the same stainless steel as the edges. Yes, I'm aware that that would have made it heavier. I bought a case and it should withstand all but a deliberate phone spike to concrete.

I didn't like having to save my credit card info to access the App Store. I get that that's how most people pay for apps, but especially after the Playstation Network got hacked earlier this year, I was a little weary. Is there an alternative to this?

While I'm glad the iPhone 4s came with USB Power Adapter, I'm not fond of the dock connector. It's limiting and inconvenient if I'm in a bind and need to charge my phone. I know that Apple makes a killing by licensing it out, but it's still dumb. Apple trolled the entire world when they signed an agreement in Europe to adopt micro-USB as the standard charging method in 2009 and then a couple weeks ago, they released this to honor the agreement:

No, I'm not surprised. I'm just pointing out how that completely defeats the purpose of having a standard. If you need to remember to bring that adapter around, you might as well just carry the dock connector with you.

That's about it. I'll post more thoughts if I discover anything that's worth mentioning. I tried to bold what I felt were the important parts for people who didn't want to read everything. I deliberately avoided Android comparisons because comparisons between the 2 are pointless. I would use both exactly the same way but not the same as I did the Blackberry Bold 9700. I decided to try the iPhone 4s because it was an obvious upgrade from the 9700, just like the Nexus Prime would have been. It suited my needs. I have no doubt that the Nexus offering stock Android could have fit the bill as well, but I chose the iPhone 4s and I'm not disappointed in the least.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:26:52 AM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 17, 2011, 05:32:13 AM »
Your alternative to the CC for AppleStore purchases is to get a pre-paid, and only load it with what is necessary at the time.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 17, 2011, 11:25:32 AM »
Well at least you didn't settle for the 8GB version.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: October 18, 2011, 09:09:48 PM »
So now they announce (officially) the Droid RAZR...which looks pretty amazing. But then the Nexus Galaxy will be announced in a few minutes too...which also looks pretty amazing. The Droid RAZR is the thinnest smartphone now (7.1mm) and apparently is lighter than air (almost). It's also made out of kevlar (the back at least)...wonder if it can stop a bullet? Oh, and it's 4G LTE, which makes the thinness even more amazing (although admittedly I don't really care about thinness that much) and a 4.3" Super AMOLED Advanced display. Apparently it's nearly impervious to water too (non-removable battery to thank?). It will be the first phone to use Netflix HD, and has 8.9 hours of video playback. I want one.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: October 18, 2011, 09:54:51 PM »
I'm loving that WebTop docked software thing Moto has going on.

I keep my dock right in front of my monitor, so docking my phone and it turning into a mini computer, complete with wireless mouse (& kb?) sounds awesome. Especially since it still functions as a phone and a computer at the same time using WebTop.

Droid RAZR
http://gadgetbox.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/18/8382232-motorola-reveals-droid-razr-worlds-thinnest-smartphone

WebTop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyV6FDLy6wE

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: October 18, 2011, 10:21:01 PM »
Does it have Wifi-Direct?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 18, 2011, 11:52:52 PM »
The Droid Razr pretty much sums up what I detest about every non-Nexus Android phone. Even though it has all of that Moto-crap on it and it's launching with an older version of Android, I'm looking at it in awe because it's gorgeous. And I couldn't help but think, "Didn't the Bionic just come out last month?" I know the Bionic was delayed but the Droid Razr still makes me think what the point of that phone was. The Droid Razr makes the Droid Bionic look fat and oafish by comparison. According to Ars Technica, this new hotness is coming out in mid-November, roughly 2 months after the Droid Bionic.

And I keep reading that the browser in Gingerbread isn't designed to access both cores of a dual core processor. All that extra power isn't even being used for one of the main things I want a smartphone for. That's a waste. Motorola probably won't get around to putting Ice Cream Sandwich on their devices until roughly the middle of next year and by then, they will most likely be releasing another phone which based on timing will probably be the Droid X3 and will probably just look like the Droid Razr anyway. I can't be bothered with manufacturers obsoleting their own devices every 2-3 months.

The Galaxy Nexus is a total badass. Unfortunately, it's fucking huge. This is the phone I'm recommending to 2 friends who want Android phones (one is migrating from Blackberry, the other is still rocking an original Droid) but they have stupid little baby girl hands and pockets. They're not going to root it or mod anything or ask anyone to. I figure, the Galaxy Nexus is like the Galaxy S2.1 and they'll already have ICS so they won't need to worry about any of that.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 19, 2011, 12:11:59 AM »
I'm not going to touch the Galaxy Nexus. I wanted it. I was planning on buying it. Then I saw it doesn't have expandable memory. No thanks. I like to be able to carry around extra memory cards with things like movies I've ripped and all that. It's come in handy more than once.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #615 on: October 19, 2011, 02:16:15 AM »
Carrying around microsd cards is great way to lose them/mix them up, but I see your point. Considering most phones allow up to 32 gb (where the Galaxy Nexus starts), it's not such a bad deal.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 19, 2011, 02:39:39 AM »
Carrying around microsd cards is great way to lose them/mix them up, but I see your point. Considering most phones allow up to 32 gb (where the Galaxy Nexus starts), it's not such a bad deal.

Most phones allow 32 GB, yes, but they also typically have at least 8 GB of on-board storage at this point, too. I've run into the situation several times where people have run out of space to store content on their phone, myself included. Allowing expandable memory solved my problem, and if I think I'll need it, I can pick up a Micro SD card with a variety of my movies and TV shows on it. For those other people who lack memory space, they have to go through all their things, manage what they want now, what they think they'll want later, and what they might not want, but might want to keep. Call me a pack-rat, but expandable memory is important to me when it comes to a major media device like phones have become. I don't want to rely on a cloud, or NetFlix, or an internet connection to access things, and any phone that doesn't allow expandable memory is a step back from what's on the market, iPhones and Galaxy Nexus included.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 19, 2011, 02:43:07 AM »
I understand what you meant and I get it. I love having a card I can take out of my phone and plug it directly into any sd-card reader. It's great and convenient. I'm not sure why they don't allow on the Galaxy Nexus when the S2 has it.

But if Galaxy Nexus comes with Wifi-Direct (which hasn't been mentioned but the S2 has it so why wouldn't it), there's always the ability to hot-swap with others in the future. In those that don't have a Wifi-direct certified phone.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:45:16 AM by Stogi »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 19, 2011, 04:06:47 PM »
I didn't realize the GN doesn't have a MicroSD slot...that kind of sucks. Still though, 32GB is nice, especially if it treats that 32GB as an SD card anyway like HoneyComb devices do.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #619 on: October 19, 2011, 04:07:52 PM »
Will they ever again make a slider that isn't gimped somehow? The Stratosphere is 4G, which I've been waiting for, but isn't even dual core.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 19, 2011, 04:09:37 PM »
The MyTouch 4G Slide is a powerhouse. Probably the best phone on T-Mobile that isn't the Galaxy S 2.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 19, 2011, 04:11:52 PM »
On Verizon. I don't need my network gimped either  ;)
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 19, 2011, 04:15:20 PM »
ZING! Slide phones suck in general if you ask me - if that flex cable goes then you're screwed. The Droid 3 is probably the best slider on Verizon, but still it feels like a 3 year old phone.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 19, 2011, 04:22:18 PM »
I've never know anybody to have that fail though. I'd also be willing to get a phone with a bluetooth keyboard slider case, but there seem to be very few out there that fit anything other than iPhone.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 28, 2011, 12:39:59 AM »
Aaron Kaluszka