Author Topic: Verizon phones  (Read 129076 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Verizon phones
« Reply #575 on: September 19, 2011, 06:14:20 PM »
Yeah that song is sickkkk nasty. It always makes we want to jump around and kick **** like Caterkiller.

The first time I loaded up the newest MK, I played this song.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 04, 2011, 11:55:35 AM »
Oh, look! Nexus Prime leaks less than 2 hours before the iPhone 5/4S unveiling. I'm as surprised as you are.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: October 04, 2011, 03:09:02 PM »
I'm tempted to make a new thread...

iPhone 4S is announed: Is same thing as iPhone 4.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 04, 2011, 03:20:58 PM »
The spec bump was a given. I was hoping that Apple would at least make the back aluminum. Also, I didn't expect them to make the screen larger but I wanted them to. So much for that.

Still leaning towards the 4S when I switch to Verizon. If I can get my hands on one at Best Buy before November 25, I may pay the $65 early termination fee and ditch AT&T sooner. And yes, I have to get it at Best Buy because I have an obscene amount of gift cards.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: October 04, 2011, 04:55:07 PM »
It's the same thing as the 4 in the same way the 3GS was the same as the 3G: physically it's basically the same (though they apparently completely eliminated the antenna issues), but they bumped all the specs and dramatically improved the camera (8 megapixels with 1080p video recording). Apple seems to be in the habit of doing the huge changes every two years, in line with the idea of the two-year contract.

It does both GSM and CDMA, which is good for people who want to use Verizon in the US but also want to use it abroad. They've finally upped the internal storage to 64 GB on the high end. No 4G, but we pretty much knew that going in. I'm not buying one, but they'd have had to blow the doors off the thing to get me not to wait another year.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 04, 2011, 07:43:27 PM »
The World Phone aspect is pretty nice, but most people won't ever use it, especially people on Verizon and Spring that don't even know what a SIM card is, but still, it's a nice option. Still though, I find the new 8GB version utterly pointless (even the 16GB is kind of silly since it records HD video now), especially since the iPhone doesn't have any support for removable storage. No LTE is a mistake, but understandable since they only make one version of the phone now (capactity aside). If you don't have a contract with anyone, or your contract is up, or you're already on Sprint...then if you must get an iPhone 4S (shudders), then Sprint is the obvious choice to go with (if you're going to be getting a new contract at least), since they still have unlimited data and they're the cheapest option. I still maintain that Apple is in the habit of making huge changes...never, just subtle changes that catch the iPhone up to the phones that came out a year ago in terms of capability.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 04, 2011, 09:02:51 PM »
I don't think the lack of LTE is a mistake. Only Verizon has an LTE network that's worth anything right now and it's still not ubiquitous. Most iPhone owners are still on AT&T which just recently started rolling out LTE. Unless there's a mass iPhone owner exodus to Verizon (there won't be), this isn't really going to matter. Obviously, the reason why Apple didn't include LTE is because it would force them to make concessions on battery life or form factor and we both know they'll do neither. Here's a nice article on it from AnandTech.

I'm currently still on AT&T's unlimited data plan and I don't come close to using 2GB a month. Yeah, I'm still using a Blackberry (insert laugh here), but even if I was using a "real" smartphone, I doubt I'd surpass 2GB. If I ever were to go over the 2GB limit (once I switch to Verizon), an extra GB is only $10 and I really doubt I'd go over 3GB a month. Maybe if I signed up for Spotify Premium and even then, I could probably stay under 2GB.

For most people, the iPhone is a great device that suits their needs. They're not comparing specs and really, it's not just about specs anyway. The latest version of iOS only ever has to run on like 3 hardware configurations  though the newest features are only available on the newest piece of hardware (Siri probably won't run on anything but the 4S). Newer versions of the operating system still run well on he older devices despite having dated hardware. As long as it functions, I really don't think it's matters to the general public. My friend at work is still rocking a 3GS and I don't think she's even thinking of upgrading. Things like HD video and GB and LTE don't mean anything to her.

So, yeah, I'm most likely getting the iPhone 4S which is automatically a massive upgrade from my Blackberry Bold 9700. I believe Samsung is holding an event next Tuesday to officially unveil the Nexus Prime but it'd have to blow me away to change my mind. I'd probably use both phones the exact same way but the iPhone is probably the safer bet for my needs. That's just a guess on my part based on what I've read and what I've been told from friends who have had iOS/Android devices for what seems like ages but, in reality, has only been like 2-3 years.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: October 05, 2011, 01:13:39 PM »
The 4S is fine and all and they've said the Siri is only available on it already, of not Phone 7 has had similar functionality since the get go but, this does take it a step further.  What I think is the bigger news is that the iPhone 3g is going to be put in the Free phone with contract slot.  I think That is bigger news then the 4S.  iPhone is still the Smartphone to have and putting a base model in reach of the all consumers is a good idea.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: October 05, 2011, 09:47:56 PM »
You guys are silly. BlackBerry is horse **** though (no offense, and I assume none is taken). Expect that OS to be gone soon.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: October 06, 2011, 10:04:03 AM »
Blackberry allows a degree of corporate control that none of the other phone OSes allow, because there more consumer oriented.  While companies need that control Blackberries will still be around.  Those type of controls are very low priority for Phone7, iOS, and Android.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: October 06, 2011, 03:20:51 PM »
Actually, Apple has increased support for that kind of thing in every successive version of iOS;you just don't hear about it that much because it's not a selling point for consumers.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: October 06, 2011, 03:37:47 PM »
Actually, Apple has increased support for that kind of thing in every successive version of iOS;you just don't hear about it that much because it's not a selling point for consumers.
Never said they didn't but, it hasn't cross the threshold yet.  I give it about 2 years personally.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: October 07, 2011, 01:16:06 PM »
Good news from Sprint customers (and Verizon should they ever buy Sprint), but Sprint is switching their inferior WiMax 4G over to the much superior LTE 4G network that Verizon, T-Mobile & AT&T currently use.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/07/sprint-converts-its-cdma-network-to-lte/

Sprint finally went public with plans to "simplify its network" by converting its 1900MHz holdings and LightSquared's 1600MHZ spectrum ("pending FCC approval") to LTE, an industry favorite. Helping the operator make that transition is the swath of 800MHz spectrum it reclaimed from the, now defunct, iDEN push-to-talk network -- which had been a drain on the company's resources. This spectrum, acquired from Nextel, will be phased out by mid-2013 and rolled into LTE. The company plans for a rapid deployment of this new 4G network, with the first LTE markets and handsets to hit in mid-2012, and the full rollout mostly completed by 2013. Current subscribers signed up for WiMAX plans won't have to worry as their devices will continue to be supported throughout 2012.

That will surely help all those millions of Sprint Smartphone customers that have been paying for 4G actually be able to use it sooner rather than later since LTE is not only faster but has a much wider range (IIRC) than WiMax.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: October 07, 2011, 09:02:20 PM »
AT&T hardly uses it...5 cities, while Verizon has almost 200 and counting. Verizon's 700Mhz LTE is badass, you can be in a bomb shelter and still get a signal. In other news...the Nexus Galaxy looks badass, and pretty much will make every other machine (even the Bionic) its bitch.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: October 07, 2011, 09:24:08 PM »
And it just got delayed. Google/Samsung fail.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #590 on: October 07, 2011, 09:42:03 PM »
The announcement was delayed, but it'll probably come out around the same time. They'll probably do a "And it's available... right now" routine on about 10/27.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: October 07, 2011, 10:05:30 PM »
Actually it's not a fail, they did it out of respect for Steve Jobs and Apple.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: October 07, 2011, 11:25:23 PM »
Yeah, sure. That's why they delayed it.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: October 08, 2011, 12:10:01 AM »
That Nexus Galaxy looks sick. Faster than everything out there and has no buttons? Dope. I especially like the curved screen and that it'll have ICS from the get go.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 08, 2011, 07:58:29 PM »
Yes, it is why they delayed it (they even mentioned it in a press release, I believe). Several people on the Android team used to sit on the board at Apple, and they'd look like total dicks if they debuted their phone that completely owns everything else out there (and everything that launches next Friday) 6 days after Steve Jobs died.

Anyway...I might have to sell my Thunderbolt when they release the Nexus Galaxy. Samsung is slowly (quickly) taking over the world in cell phone sales, might as well join them (again) now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: October 08, 2011, 08:35:43 PM »
Oh, okay. You're absolutely right. Since it was in a press release, that must mean they aren't totally full of ****. Jesus Christ on a crutch, man... You act like Android cures cancer and AIDS.

The iPhone is going to continue outselling every single individual smartphone on the market. This isn't going to change. Google and Samsung can release their Jesus-phone with its water-into-wine specs and the iPhone is still going to take its mother out for a nice seafood dinner then never call her again. /Anchorman

That's just the way it is because the iPhone brand is a fucking juggernaut. I'm not saying one is better than the other. For my needs, Android/iOS/WP7 all do the same exact thing. I want a phone with decent battery life that allows me to dick around the internet when I'm away from home, specifically at work when I should be responsible. They all pretty much do that. I just want to try the iPhone though I'm still curious about the Nexus Prime/Galaxy.

I'm not gullible enough to believe that Google or any company is going to postpone a major product launch because the founder of a rival passed away. In fact, delaying a product because said product is oh so much better than the iPhone in "honor" of Jobs makes Google/Samsung look like a bunch of arrogant pricks. "Don't be evil," my ass.

So, no, I don't actually believe that at all. Delaying a product is fairly common. Sometimes it's a short delay and sometimes it's the Droid Bionic. Ice Cream Sandwich or the Nexus Prime/Galaxy probably just needed some last minute tweaks.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: October 09, 2011, 11:09:41 PM »
It may outsell every individual phone, but the Galaxy S II is well over 10 million before it even hit the US, of course it's a different phone on each carrier, so I'm not sure how to accurately count it when you add in the US sales...but Android in general gets a larger market share every month, while Apple's #2 spot continues to shrink. I don't know if the Nexus Galaxy will count as a Galaxy S II device anyway. On one hand it shouldn't since it's way more powerful, but on another hand it kind of should since Verizon doesn't have a Galaxy S II device, and they're the #1 carrier in the US. Anyway, CTIA is more about Android (and ICS) in general than it is just about the Nexus Galaxy, and the Android OS will continue to leave Apple's mother behind instead of taking her out to dinner. I don't think Google is jerking anyone's chain with their explanation, after all, the Nexus Galaxy video and screenshots leaked just a few hours before Apple's repeat presentation from last year. I'm not acting like Android cures anything other than the idea that Apple is actually doing anything innovative with the iPhone. You can believe whatever you want to believe, but PR is PR.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: October 12, 2011, 03:20:56 AM »
It may outsell every individual phone, but the Galaxy S II is well over 10 million before it even hit the US, of course it's a different phone on each carrier, so I'm not sure how to accurately count it when you add in the US sales...but Android in general gets a larger market share every month, while Apple's #2 spot continues to shrink. I don't know if the Nexus Galaxy will count as a Galaxy S II device anyway. On one hand it shouldn't since it's way more powerful, but on another hand it kind of should since Verizon doesn't have a Galaxy S II device, and they're the #1 carrier in the US. Anyway, CTIA is more about Android (and ICS) in general than it is just about the Nexus Galaxy, and the Android OS will continue to leave Apple's mother behind instead of taking her out to dinner. I don't think Google is jerking anyone's chain with their explanation, after all, the Nexus Galaxy video and screenshots leaked just a few hours before Apple's repeat presentation from last year. I'm not acting like Android cures anything other than the idea that Apple is actually doing anything innovative with the iPhone. You can believe whatever you want to believe, but PR is PR.

If Apple wasn't so "premium focused" they should have made that "iPhone Mini" for $250 and maybe iPhone Micro for $100-150 to start to aim at the lower end of the market.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: October 12, 2011, 02:11:38 PM »
I would really love to see them make a phone based off of the Nano that came with the Bluetooth headphone for it.  It be a cool watch phone.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #599 on: October 12, 2011, 02:21:01 PM »
If making it only a smidge bigger would let them put a camera and speaker on there for video chat, I'd be sold.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.