Author Topic: Verizon phones  (Read 129107 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Verizon phones
« Reply #425 on: March 20, 2011, 08:50:31 PM »
I was doing some reading on this and it was mentioned that they did this mostly for T-Mobiles 4G network since AT&T "royally fucked up" their own 4G rollout.

anyone know the story on that and care to summarize it for me?

From what I understand, AT&T wanted to rollout HSPA+ before LTE and wound up missing he boat on some spectrum they wanted. Then Sprint and Verizon began rolling theirs out, making AT&T's strategy look really dumb. T-Mobile didn't wanna be left out, so they started calling their HSPA+ network "4G" (hello, My Touch), leaving AT&T to appear to be the only ones without.

Actual infastructure issues I'm a bit in the dark about, but AT&T clearly has some egg on its face over this 4G thing.

Well I'm assuming they plan on integrating T-Mobile's existing infrastructure with their network. That would have been a lot handier if they'd done it when the two companies were still using compatible networks, though.

Too bad they didn't do that when they bought Singular. I swear my service actually got worse.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 22, 2011, 10:58:18 PM »
This is a Sprint Phone, but dayuuuuum
http://www.bgr.com/2011/03/18/sprints-ctia-announcements-htc-evo-3d-htc-evo-view-4g-motorola-xoom-much-more/#disqus_thread
the HTC EVO 3D most certainly will be part of the announcement, and it’s going to be a pretty feature-packed handset. We’re talking about a 4.3-inch qHD 960 x 450-pixel Autostereoscopic 3D display, 4GB of RAM, 1GB ROM, 1.2GHz dual-core Qualcomm 8660 Snapdragon CPU, dual rear 5-megapixel cameras with dedicated camera button, 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera, and 1730mAh battery. That’s not all, though.

The HTC EVO 3D will run Android Gingerbread 2.3 with HTC Sense UI and it will also output 1080p video via HDMI and output 720p 3D content as well. There will also be a Blockbuster 3D on demand app as well as YouTube 3D.

3DS better watch out and Netflix needs to step up.

They mentioned that the Ram/Rom may be switched around, but that was how it was reported to them.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 23, 2011, 12:21:29 AM »
There's no such thing as 4GB RAM on a phone, they most likely have them mixed up. I read about that a few days ago, sounds incredible...but it's Sprint. Never seen YouTube 3D, but Blockbuster on Demand blows (have to download first, no streaming). The display resolution is wrong too, it should be 960x540. Still...I want one. It's a new Snapdragon, so it should support Netflix when it's officially released. I really want to get a Xoom (might as well get the WiFi, since I already have a phone bill, and HTC phones let you tether anyway)...but I don't think it will get Netflix (officially).
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 23, 2011, 01:08:00 AM »
There should be a way to use your phone data plan through multiple items that you own. As in wishful thinking.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 23, 2011, 01:40:44 AM »
Mobile hotspot is as close as you come for now.

But i agree. I pay for cable, I can hook it up in as many rooms to as many TV's as I wish. I pay for land line phone, then I can hook up as many phones around the house as I wish. I should be able to do the same thing with my mobile voice and data too. I pay for unlimited data and 450m minutes a month, then it shouldn't matter what mobile device I'm using that voice or data on as long as it's attached to my account.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 23, 2011, 01:50:51 AM »
PdaNet is your friend. You have to use USB (or BlueTooth DUN...but that's retarded), but it's free (unless you pay $15.95 - current price - for the registered version which gives you https access), and it doesn't count as "tethering" with your service provider. I agree with both of you though.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #431 on: March 23, 2011, 01:59:37 AM »
Or just root and get the same thing with no restrictions.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 23, 2011, 02:49:39 AM »
I just looked up PDAnet: http://www.junefabrics.com/android/

It's as simple as that to use a laptop online anywhere I get a signal? Install, connect cable, internet access?

Or just root and get the same thing with no restrictions.

I've been curious about rooting, but don't you potentially run the risk of messing up your phone or violating some sort of agreement since they can track the amount of data you are using or is all of that a non-issue? I've really been wanting to wipe all the Verizon and Motorola stuff off my phone and install a vanilla version of the latest android.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #433 on: March 23, 2011, 03:00:26 AM »
Yes, it's that simple. Android phones (should, but check model) have a failsafe where you can restore back to factory image, even if it's otherwise bricked. If you're on unlimited and not using huge amounts of data, you shouldn't have a problem as it will look like the traffic is coming from your phone.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 23, 2011, 10:33:01 AM »
Well I was going to suggest rooting and tethering, but apparently AT&T has been catching people doing this, and forcing them to either purchase a tethering plan or take some kind of action (not sure on the specifics, I'm on Verizon so it doesn't affect me). AT&T already has ridiculous pricing, so it makes sense for them to do this, but they're the only ones so far.

Conversely, if you are on a LAN (or just internet connected PC) that doesn't have WiFi and want to get online with your phone (and have no signal, or need a faster connection), you can use "internet passthrough" and use your networks wired connection on your phone. Basically the opposite of tethering.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: March 24, 2011, 11:41:46 PM »
I got an Android question.

Is there an app or an option that will shut the phone down at 2% battery life so that it doesn't fully die before shutting off?

The problem is that right now my phone will die, and when I notice it's dead it has to charge to 5% before I can turn it back on. That can take anywhere from 5-10 minutes, so while it sits on the charger, I tend to forget to check back in 5-10 minutes to turn the phone back on. So I would rather it die a minute earlier and let me turn it back on so I can charge it than to do what I have to do now where I tend to forget until 45minutes to an hour later to turn it back on.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
"Text back STOP if you don't want to subscribe"
« Reply #436 on: March 25, 2011, 02:11:32 PM »
AT&T, Verizon, Jawa Make Millions From SMS Scams?
Jawa owner building 100,000sq ft house from the profits
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATT-Verizon-Jawa-Make-Billions-From-SMS-Scams-113383

Earlier this month Verizon sued a company by the name of Jawa and twenty other related shell companies all run by a man named Jason Hope. According to Verizon, Hope has been engaged in an elaborate string of text messaging schemes for more than a year. The schemes, according to Verizon, involved the forced sale of frequently useless SMS services, covered up by what Verizon calls "sophisticated cloaking software" to misdirect auditors to shell websites compliant with Verizon's consumer protection and disclosure policies. Jawa and Hope meanwhile claim Verizon knew about this all along and took 30% of profits:<...>
The blog AZ Disruptors has been tracking Hope and Jawa's methodology, and created this interesting video that explains precisely what Jawa's doing. Specifically -- users receive an SMS telling them to "Text back STOP if you don't want to subscribe." Most smart users ignore this message thinking it's a scam -- but in this case ignoring the message ensures you enroll in the scam service and are charged $10 a month. The blog notes that Hope is busily building a 100,000 square foot home in Scottsdale off of the profits made the last four years.

Verizon Refund site: https://www.premiumsmsrefunds.com//

I've received 2 text like that in the past and replied STOP to both of them, I'm on Verizon.
 My girl also got one around the same time I got my first one. She is on Sprint.

I didn't notice a change in my bill, but her bill was a little higher than usual. I think I better forward this on to as many people as I can to make sure they aren't getting charged and not realize it.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 25, 2011, 02:20:31 PM »
Gee, I'm so glad that AT&T is buying T-Mobile now, so now I have the opportunity to be a part of this nonsense.   ::)

Yeah, my family's definitely switching to Sprint, as distasteful as that apparently is.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 25, 2011, 05:45:49 PM »
Makes me glad I check my bills every month. Though that has never happened to me. I get a 23% discount with AT&T from my company so I'm pretty happy with my package. Though I might upgrade to a smartphone soon because I can get one with the same plan for pretty much the same price.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 28, 2011, 01:55:13 AM »
This isn't Verizon related, but I just flashed Android 2.2 onto a T-Mobile HD2, and I must say it's pretty impressive. Testing Quadrant on it yielded an 1195, which puts it *right above* the Evo 4G, and barely under the Droid X 2.2 - which is pretty awesome considering this is a Windows Mobile 6.5 phone. I also put a few games on it (Angry Birds, Ninjump) and it runs them just as well as my Thunderbolt. Just ran Super Mario 64 using N64oid...not the smoothest thing in the world, but a little overclocking would probably make it run like a champ. It's just so awesome that this phone runs Android better than most Android phones out there (until now of course). If you have one of these and are tired of bullshit WM6.5, then I can help you out with getting Android up and running.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 31, 2011, 11:06:35 AM »
So I'm in a 4G area today...so far my best speed is 13.22Mb download, 41.32Mb upload. I think Ookla's speedtest app has a glitch with uploads, but downloads are completely accurate. I'll use my ISP's speed page in a little bit...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 31, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
Using my ISP's test page over Verizon 4G...20.36Mb download, about 2.5Mb upload. My home connection is 25Mb/2.5Mb, so now I can basically take it with me. Glad I got locked into unlimited 4G @ $29.99.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 31, 2011, 11:50:23 AM »
You think I could add 4G to my plan even though i don't have a 4G Phone since it cost the same as an unlimited plan anyway?

or is the unlimited the same as the 4G unlimited?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 31, 2011, 12:10:12 PM »
Not sure really, but if you buy a phone from a distributer that will ship a SIM with it, then I imagine you can do that. AT&T doesn't let you do that anymore. BTW, just hit 26.65Mbps a minute ago, watching HQ YouTube with no buffering...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 31, 2011, 12:25:06 PM »
Actually I don't think thy have an actual "4G plan" for phones right now, so they just say data is data and if you get 4G, thrn you get 4G. When they start actual 4G plans I've read (and heard from VZW employees) that they will be tiered like with the Xoom and LTE modems, part of the reason I plan on getting a WiFi Xoom.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 31, 2011, 12:32:01 PM »
I hope if you have an unlimited data plan then you have an unlimited data plan however your phone connects to data.

It would suck to have to miss out unlimited 4G because I'm stuck on unlimited 3G for another 1.5yrs. I should atleast have the option to clarify on my account that I have the unlimited 3G/4G plan.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 31, 2011, 12:50:37 PM »
Well I would just call a local store and ask, you may be better off getting a 4G phone at retail and replacing your current one. Thunderbolt is like $750 retail though(you might be able to find one for $599 or so), but you can always sell your current phone to make up for part if it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 09, 2011, 01:01:24 PM »
Supposedly Gingerbread (Android 2.3.3) pre-release is out in the wild and things run much smoother using it.

I'm pretty irritated with the Droid X, but it's not because of the phone itself, it's because of all the other stuff on there making it laggy and sometimes non-responsive. So I've decided to root my phone (maybe not today, but soon), wipe it and then install the new FW with select things I like from the MotoBlur experience. But maybe I'll see what a Stock Android experience is like before I put back more than Swype. I think I might wait for the Verizon release of 2.3 before I do this though to see if it fixes any issues I have.

I found these step by step instructions on GAF that I am gonna modify a little with links, and I want to know if this is not only correct, but the easiest way to do this;
----------------------------------
1.) Copy z4root apk to your sd card.

2.) Install and run z4root (choose the option to root permanently)

3.) Download Bootstrap Recovery for Droid X (here)

4.) Download your Rom and save to sd card (Fission from teamdefuse.com)

5.) Allow Bootstrap Recovery root access and it will reboot you into a recovery menu

6.) Make a backup (its an option in this menu)

7.) Wipe cache and data (also both options)

8.) Choose option to load rom and you can opt to pick one off sd card. Pick the rom you downloaded in step 4.

-----------------------------------

Now that seems pretty straight forward and simple, the link in step 4 gives some indepth instructions for using Fission. My only question is how easy is it to restore official FW and unroot so that Verizon doesn't try to void my warranty or something?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 09, 2011, 11:35:23 PM »
I can't say from experience, because different phones are often rooted in different ways (I'm pretty sure there's a 1-click root app for the DX in the market, could be wrong though). Going back to stock is simple though, just download the stock (preferable latest) ROM (in .zip format) for the DX, and install it with ROM Manager or Clockwork Recovery. Basically you do step 8, but instead of a custom ROM, you choose the stock one.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 06, 2011, 09:40:02 AM »
Not sure where to put this, so I'll put this here.

I'm wondering if it's possible to create an ad hoc network, similar to streetpass, between two Android phones.
black fairy tales are better at sports