Author Topic: Verizon phones  (Read 129113 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Re: Verizon phones
« Reply #400 on: February 09, 2011, 01:10:36 PM »
This is for Sprint, but it looks like Kyocera has made a Dual Screened phone
http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/07/sprints-kyocera-echo-dual-screen-android-phone-announced-we-go/

You can supposedly even run 2 different apps at the same time on either screens.
Youtube on top screen, email on bottom screen? could come in handy.

One full screen for just the keyboard will also be a help.

2x 3.5" screens
1Ghz Snapdragon
Android 2.2
3G only (no WiMax/Sprint 4G)
multi screen applications
rear facing 5MP camera
comes with extra battery
$199 (after $100 rebate)

I think I would wait for version 2 on this thing, but it sounds cool.
Same design with front facing camera @ 5MP, rear facing camera @ 8MP, dual core support, 4G & Android 3.0 and then consider me interested.

Here is a video that shows off all it can do.
http://pocketnow.com/android/kyocera-echo-dual-screen-android-hands-on-video
Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwOsP9sKiiU&feature=player_embedded#
Looks like a pretty cool phone even if a little dated feature-wise.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:51:41 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 09, 2011, 02:07:27 PM »
What I've read is that it doesn't allow true simultaneous dual-apping.  It alternates between the two apps running quickly, or something like that.  Which means a youtube video couldn't play at the same time you write, or at least, if it did, it would be choppy.  That's only the tiny bit I've read, though, and it could be jumping to conclusions.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 09, 2011, 02:28:55 PM »
you are. The video at the bottom shows them multitasking by playing a Youtube video on the top screen while 2 more video queue up in the background, then while the video is playing, he brings up his e-mail (moving the video to the bottom screen) and starts browsing through it.

Of course if you need to send an email, the onboard keyboard takes over the bottom screen while you are typing, but I think the video was still playing behind it.

I think the true multitasking is only for certain Kyocera configured apps as Android wasn't built with dual screen or simultaneous multitaksing in mind, so I'm sure more true multi-tasking apps will come to market as support grows. Kyocera had to heavily tweak Android for the device.

I would still wait for the more feature rich version though.

Also the external battery charger is shown off in that video too.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 09, 2011, 03:27:18 PM »
That sounds awesome, but it's underpowered severely (even though those are still pretty stellar specs for a cell phone). The price is awesome, but yeah, I'd wait for a dual core 2Ghz version (shouldn't take too long) with 4G, etc. Price is nice though.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #404 on: February 10, 2011, 01:05:31 AM »
I would wait for a better processor too, but if I needed a second phone, this would be it. Something with Android that does something completely unique (in the smart phone market that is).
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: February 10, 2011, 11:07:51 AM »
Gizmodo said it was terrible in their hands-on...
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 16, 2011, 03:38:22 AM »
This doesn't really have anything to do with Verizon directly but Nvidia is aiming to lock down the tablet and pocket multi-media game with the Tegra 3 (Kal-El)
http://androidandme.com/2011/02/news/nvidia-kos-the-competition-quad-core-cpus-in-android-devices-by-summer/

Quad core CPU & 12 core GPU, 1440p decoded on the fly displayed via HDMI out from a downscaled 4000p RED filmed video. Coming out this summer.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 17, 2011, 10:14:38 PM »
Got myself an HTC Thunderbolt today. I got tired of waiting for the release dates to show up for (better) newer phones, but this is the absolute best phone available for Verizon for the time being (and it will stay that way until the Droid Bionic is released...and Android 2.4). A lot of people like to compare it to the EVO, but as far as benchmarks are concerned, it absolutely wipes the floor with the EVO. I've only had it for a couple hours, detailed impressions to follow soon. If I end up not liking it, I have 14 days to return it ($35 restocking fee).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 17, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
 How does it differ from the EVO because they look almost identical.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 18, 2011, 12:32:26 AM »
It actually whoops the EVO's ass. Sure it has the same size screen (though it has 65M colors vs EVO's 65K), and a kickstand (which does vertical and horizontal), and they have the same 8MP rear and 1.3MP from camera, and that's where the similarities end. The Thunderbolt's 1Ghz Snapdragon is 8 months newer, and almost twice as productive as the EVO's. I was concerned that it was just a Verizon EVO, because a lot of people seem to feel that way just because it's a 4.3" screen vs a 4.3" screen, and a 1Ghz vs 1Ghz CPU, but then I watched the "Schmack Down" video on wirefly.com, which shows the Thunderbolt simply dominating the EVO. The EVO is an awesome phone (best you can get on Sprint still, IMO), but the Thunderbolt makes the EVO its bitch. I plan on testing it with some emulators and stuff soon, so I'll tell you how it performs.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 18, 2011, 12:46:15 AM »
I'm playing Super Mario 64 on it right now...pretty awesome ****.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 20, 2011, 01:18:06 AM »
Wow, I just read something on another forum, and confirmed it - even on Verizon's 3G CDMA, you *can* talk on the phone and browse the web at the same time using the HTC Thunderbolt. As far as I know, this is the only CDMA phone that lets you do this, and it works perfectly. I took a 720p video (under bad conditions though - indoors, at night, using the camera's flash and florescent lighting), to show the quality. I'll get it on YouTube soon and share it. I really am impressed with this thing, and if you're on Verizon I *highly* recommend it. Verizon will be switching to tiered 4G pricing like AT&T and T-Mobile (I think) soon, so if you want to get grandfathered into $29.99 unlimited 4G LTE, now is the time to do so.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 20, 2011, 03:50:04 AM »
Arte you sure you weren't talking and web surfing under 4G and not the 3G?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 20, 2011, 09:30:46 AM »
Nope, I don't even live in a 4G area. I've confirmed it on several websites too, it's even in the documents for Verizon reps to use when talking about the phone. They're told not to mention it as a benefit of Verizon in general, because it's their only phone that does so. Apparently it's the first phone with "SVDO" as opposed to "EVDO" which Big Red uses for every other 3G phone. If you Google SVDO you'll see a bunch of stuff about it.

Anyway, here's the test video I was talking about. The quality really good be way better, but like I said, it was taken under pretty horrible conditions. I'll make an outdoor clip later on. The subject matter isn't anything too interesting, I just randomly picked some things, starting with my Xbox 360s, Wii, and PS3, then walk over to my daughter's DSi and then my soldering station and a PSP and some Wii's that I'm working on. Enjoy...or don't.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruNiNSHPoP0&feature=channel_video_title

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 20, 2011, 12:15:10 PM »
So I just made a new video, need to wait till I get home to upload it, but the subject matter is *very* interesting...andd I'll be posting the link and a couple pics in a certain other forum on this site...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 20, 2011, 12:25:46 PM »
God help us all.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 20, 2011, 12:46:08 PM »
Nope, not for the funhouse (good guess though). I was at Best Buy and saw this little gem...

...3DS, bitch!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #417 on: March 20, 2011, 03:03:55 PM »
Not sure if this deserves its own thread or not, but at&t is buying T-Mobile USA.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/20/atandt-agrees-to-buy-t-mobile-from-deutsche-telekom/
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 20, 2011, 03:14:39 PM »
Not sure if this deserves its own thread or not, but at&t is buying T-Mobile USA.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/20/atandt-agrees-to-buy-t-mobile-from-deutsche-telekom/

Dammit, you beat me to it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 20, 2011, 03:31:55 PM »
Saw that earlier, don't know if it's worse for current AT&T users or current T-Mobile users. Just goes to show that AT&T is deathly afraid of Verizon.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #420 on: March 20, 2011, 03:57:43 PM »
First Cingular customers were forced to deal with AT&T and now T-Mobile customers too?

So now we will have AT&T&T-mobile?

But this move should make Verizon the largest Network now right, or pretty close to it at least?
Maybe Verizon will swallow up Sprint and Metro PCS and we can have a 2 network system... [/sarcasm]

I like this part though
In the event of the deal failing to receive regulatory approval, AT&T will be on the hook for $3 billion to T-Mobile -- a breakup fee, they call it -- along with transferring over some AWS spectrum it doesn't need for its LTE rollout, and granting T-Mo a roaming agreement at a value agreeable to both parties.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 04:09:08 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 20, 2011, 04:32:45 PM »
Saw that earlier, don't know if it's worse for current AT&T users or current T-Mobile users. Just goes to show that AT&T is deathly afraid of Verizon.

It'll be a long time before the deal has any real effect on either group. I'm not surprised it's happening; AT&T has gotta be really desperate now that they've lost the one thing that was keeping it a fair fight.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 20, 2011, 04:47:16 PM »
If they had instead spent a portion of that $39Billion on infrastructure, they wouldn't need to worry about a fair fight.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 20, 2011, 06:24:19 PM »
Well I'm assuming they plan on integrating T-Mobile's existing infrastructure with their network. That would have been a lot handier if they'd done it when the two companies were still using compatible networks, though.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 20, 2011, 07:42:43 PM »
I was doing some reading on this and it was mentioned that they did this mostly for T-Mobiles 4G network since AT&T "royally fucked up" their own 4G rollout.

anyone know the story on that and care to summarize it for me?