Author Topic: Verizon phones  (Read 129101 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Verizon phones
« Reply #325 on: July 26, 2010, 01:13:24 PM »
There was an interesting ruling today regarding jailbreaking phones. Every three years the Library of Congress allows some exceptions to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and these exceptions last until the next review in three years. The actually ruling is rather complex in wording (as most rulings typically are), but the basic gist of it was that you legally can circumvent the phone's operating system as long as you install only legal programs (meaning you can't do stuff like install ROM's of copyrighted games). This exception will be good until the next review in 2013. Other matters ruled on included allowing people to use short clips (about 2 minutes) of CSS-protected DVDs for use in education facilities, inclusion in documentaries, or for noncommercial videos.

The ruling also allows people to circumvent the security locks on video games, but ONLY for the purpose of studying the DRM program used. This exception was basically granted because this one researcher wanted to study programs like SecuROM and SafeDisc without worrying about legal matters.

The final part is that e-books can be modified so that the text can be read aloud as audio, but this is only allowed when there are no commercial alternatives available.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #326 on: July 26, 2010, 02:49:42 PM »
Nice to hear these went through.  There was also a court ruling last week that could be interpreted as saying that breaking protection for the purposes of using the software (as opposed to copying) is not a violation of the DMCA.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 26, 2010, 08:04:47 PM »
If that's true (what MegaByte said), then it looks like I can start selling JTAG consoles at my friend's store (since it allows you to play homebrew, and technically doesn't allow you to play burned games). That would be awesome.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #328 on: August 02, 2010, 04:27:31 PM »
Well, looks like Motorola and/or Verizon is being lame and not enabling tethering in the next Droid update (you have to buy their new phones).  Guess it's time to root my girlfriend's phone.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #329 on: August 09, 2010, 01:49:25 PM »
For those interested, Engadget is reporting that leaked ads show that the Droid 2 should be released on August 12 for $199.99 with a two-year contract or $599.99 unlocked.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: August 15, 2010, 09:29:03 PM »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 12, 2010, 03:33:35 PM »
Verizon signed a deal to make an Android phone that exclusively uses Bing for search. You can argue that Apple has too much control over the iPhone (and as someone who jailbroke his, I'm not going to totally disagree with that), but it's becoming increasingly clear that Google has far too little control over Android.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 12, 2010, 03:44:40 PM »
^That is just retarded and reeks of the same **** that got MS in trouble with forcing IE on every windows user whether you wanted it or not.

I can see MS paying to get BING set up as the out-of-box default, but to actively block alternatives is just retarded and shame on Verizon for even having anything to do with this.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 13, 2010, 12:28:58 AM »
Signed a deal...and released that phone last week. My brother has it. It's actually a beautiful phone, but Bing sucks. Still, it's not Verizon's fault that Google can't get a firm hold on their own OS, and that Microsoft has **** tons of money (you see Bing being market all over the place, they're desperately trying to get people to use it). It is Verizon's fault for blocking it - but not if Microsoft made them agree to do so. Anyway...the Samsung Fascinate (the phone in question - Verizon's version of the Galaxy S series) has already been rooted (and it's extremely easy to do so), so you can get rid of Bing if you really want to. Still, you can also see this as being "totally swell" of Google, for having an open source OS that you can customize and release as you see fit, though the user should be able to customize it, and for the most part, you can.

Anyway, I'm trying to convince him to take it back (he has 30 days) and get  Droid X or a Droid Incredible, but the CPU inside the Fascinate (once you get rid of the excess bullshit), is well, fascinating.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 13, 2010, 12:40:58 AM »
That's what I'm saying though: Google's lack of control over Android is hurting the platform. That, and that Verizon is a dick. They've got better coverage in most places, but as a company I'd much rather deal with AT&T. Verizon is a control freak; that's why they turned down the iPhone when Apple originally offered it to them, because Apple wouldn't let them screw with it like they always do. That especially is why Google's lack of power is a problem: there's nobody to stand up to Verizon.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #335 on: September 13, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
Signed a deal...and released that phone last week. My brother has it. It's actually a beautiful phone, but Bing sucks. Still, it's not Verizon's fault that Google can't get a firm hold on their own OS, and that Microsoft has **** tons of money (you see Bing being market all over the place, they're desperately trying to get people to use it). It is Verizon's fault for blocking it - but not if Microsoft made them agree to do so. Anyway...the Samsung Fascinate (the phone in question - Verizon's version of the Galaxy S series) has already been rooted (and it's extremely easy to do so), so you can get rid of Bing if you really want to. Still, you can also see this as being "totally swell" of Google, for having an open source OS that you can customize and release as you see fit, though the user should be able to customize it, and for the most part, you can.

I like Bing. It's video search is not that great (there are a lot of videos that don't show up for it, although I do like the previews they offer for the videos, something Google Video doesn't).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 25, 2010, 03:33:05 PM »
Ordered my Droid X on Sunday and got it on Wednesday, so I've been playing with it for a few days now (FroYo 2.2 the day i received it).

I lost my last phone in a creek somewhere or possibly at McDonalds, so I was hoping that there was an app out there that allows you to track your phone by GPS if you misplace it.

also what other must have apps should I get/check out?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #337 on: September 25, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
I lost my last phone in a creek somewhere or possibly at McDonalds, so I was hoping that there was an app out there that allows you to track your phone by GPS if you misplace it.

It's called "Antidroidtheft". It lets you track a missing Android phone using its GPS on the Internet. The App will e-mail you if the SIM card of the phone is changed, track the phone using its GPS, and lets you see any images taken with your phone's camera. I don't know if you need to first download it on the phone though (which wouldn't help you).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 08:22:21 PM by TJ Spyke »

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 25, 2010, 11:29:39 PM »
Ordered my Droid X on Sunday and got it on Wednesday, so I've been playing with it for a few days now (FroYo 2.2 the day i received it).

also what other must have apps should I get/check out?

I haven't taken the time to fully customize my phone or anything, but RockPlayer is a must-have if you've converted any movies to digital formats.  It can play m4v and mkv filetypes with the H264 encoding, and likely plays a lot more.  Only downside is that the logo shows and there's an annoying "Buy the full version" pop-up at each start-up.

There's a voice-recording app in the store that's supposed to be easy to upload whatever is recorded from that I have, and an app I've got called "Alarm and Timer" that's useful whenever I need to set an alarm.

Additionally, while I haven't used it much, "Poynt" is supposed to be useful.

Like I said, I haven't taken the time to fully go all out and figure out what all I want and why I want it, but that's what I think is worth considering.

Past that, I hear Swype is worth considering, but I haven't tried it out yet.  It should already be installed on the phone, I believe.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 26, 2010, 01:24:28 AM »

It's called "Antidroidtheft". It lets you track a missing Android phone using its GPS on the Internet. The App will e-mail you if the SIM card of the phone is changed, track the phone using its GPS, and lets you see any images taken with your phone's camera. I don't know if you need to first download it on the phone though (which wouldn't help you).

thanx. installed.

spy cam doesn't work, but it tracked me to the restaurant I was sitting at...... ~1+ hour later.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 27, 2010, 05:27:03 AM »

thanx. installed.

spy cam doesn't work, but it tracked me to the restaurant I was sitting at...... ~1+ hour later.

Though that would be handy if your 'missing' phone got sold off to a pawn shop or something.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 27, 2010, 11:47:07 AM »
It needs to work quicker, if it actually worked within 10 minutes like it said, then the battery might not be dead or the phone might not have been turned off yet. It should also block the phone from being turned off without removing the battery.

but if they can tweak it to work like google navigate in reverse, then phone recovery should be pretty easy as long as you work quickly.
I was very ready to confront someone that might have found my phone, catch them lying, call my phone, hear it ring and then take it back.
unfortunately my old phone was a dumb phone and I hope I never need this program with my new phone.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 28, 2010, 05:03:43 AM »
I wouldn't even bother trying to catch them lying. I'd call the cops and report it stolen and then say the thief is in my eyesight and I want to avoid a potentially dangerous confrontation. Though I've never done something like this so I have no idea if it could work out in my favor.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 28, 2010, 12:11:25 PM »
I finally left T-Mobile UK and went to Orange last week after 7 years.

My blackberry works so much better now! Plus i can now also use UMA (essentially calls/data routed via wifi) so i've got 100% signal all the time at work.

I don't understand why it hasn't got a bigger uptake generally speaking (only one Android handset has it, and it's not the Evo, Desire, Incredible) especially considering AT&T is screaming capacity issues and Verizon/Sprint will be at some point in the next 12 months. All Blackberrys have it right out of the gate, but as far as i know only T-Mobile USA support it over there and Orange UK support it here.

It won't fix any issues when you're out and about but it does mean my phone actually works when i'm stationary (almost anywhere with a wifi hotspot) now.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 12:20:05 PM by Plugabugz »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #344 on: September 28, 2010, 11:38:48 PM »
Because they can't bill you for stuff you do over your own wifi network, and the point of a mobile carrier is to bill you for everything short of breathing.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 29, 2010, 08:18:17 AM »
Because they can't bill you for stuff you do over your own wifi network, and the point of a mobile carrier is to bill you for everything short of breathing.

They can. My data is going over my wifi but as i'm using up my data allowance as if i'm using it with UMA off. Same with calls and texts. People can still call you on your normal number and the only difference is it gets routed via your wifi.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 08:19:54 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 29, 2010, 09:43:46 PM »
You can't get charged for anything transmitted over WiFi. They wouldn't even have any idea that you were using it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 05, 2010, 11:27:17 PM »
Verizon to announce 4G/LTE tomorrow, covering 100 million people by the end of the year. This year. As in 2010. Makes me kind of glad I couldn't get the X a couple months ago.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 06, 2010, 04:09:14 PM »
WSJ: Apple Making Verizon-Ready iPhone by Year End
Apple Inc. plans to begin mass producing a new iPhone by the end of 2010 that would allow Verizon Wireless to sell the smartphone early next year, said people briefed by Apple.

The new iPhone would be similar in design to the iPhone 4 currently sold by AT&T Inc. but would be based on an alternative wireless technology called CDMA used by Verizon, these people said. The phone, for which Qualcomm Inc. is providing a key chip, is expected to be released in the first quarter of next year, according to the same people.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 06, 2010, 04:56:41 PM »
Meh. I probably would consider getting one if it supported 4G/LTE...but I find Android to be so much better. Actually...I wouldn't even consider it without some *major* changes to the structure and OS.