Author Topic: Verizon phones  (Read 129110 times)

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Verizon phones
« Reply #300 on: July 20, 2010, 02:53:15 AM »
How is that stupid? Nintendo hasn't gone after anyone making emulators on Android (or anyone making emulators for Windows, etc). I could see them taking action (or trying to) if there was say, a Nintendo DS emulator on Android or iPhone...but I'm pretty sure the fact that there is nothing illegal going on...would prevent any legal battles. It's the same reason Kinoma Play (probably the best program for Windows Mobile) doesn't exist on Windows Mobile or GrooveShark only exists for jailbroken iPhones, people wouldn't need iTunes anymore, and Apple won't let them release the programs because they would lead to less revenue for Apple through app and music sales.

Apple may be arrogant, but they're not stupid. They know that their insane App Store profits aren't going to be affected by a few people who want to play NES games with horrible controls. The real reason they're not there is that they would violate Apple's rules for third party apps. Emulators in general are supposed to not be allowed, though there have been exceptions, but the big one is that the only way Apple would let you put ROMs on the thing would be via in-app purchases, and selling copyrighted ROMs would most certainly be illegal. Like I said, there have been exceptions; Sega themselves put out a Genesis emulator, in which they sell ROMs they have a legal right to.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 20, 2010, 09:36:14 AM »
So what you're saying is the iPhone is horseshit because it's locked it iTunes and the App Store. Either way, it's because Apple doesn't let people have any real control over their product, without jailbreaking it.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 20, 2010, 10:25:39 AM »
That's not what I'm saying, but I'm not going to try to argue with you about it because past experiences with that have taught me it's a waste of time.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 20, 2010, 10:49:52 AM »
No need to argue - the thing that you wrote, ROM purchases would have to be done via in-app purchases just shows that being locked to iTunes is bullshit. Sure this isn't the best example, but it's just one of many examples that shows just limited you are by the software, regardless of the 400 billion apps in the App Store.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #304 on: July 20, 2010, 10:49:16 PM »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 20, 2010, 10:57:42 PM »
That's why when I saw the deal I could get, I went ahead and took it. Unfortunately, my current hotel room lacks internet. I'm really glad I got my phone before this trip...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 21, 2010, 09:35:32 AM »
Verizon can eat a dick if they try to force that plan on existing customers (it's bullshit if they go this route with any customers, really). I've been using the unlimited data plan for 5 years - it's not like it costs more to send information over 3G just because the phones are newer and prettier. We seriously need the public to make a stand against Verizon, AT&T and any other companies doing this new tiered bullshit, we're heading backwards like back when the internet was just catching on and you had to pay by the hour. Now ISPs are doing this crap too - why in the **** would they give you a 15/25/40Mb/sec, etc. line and then cap your total bandwidth?

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 21, 2010, 09:52:55 AM »
It's simple supply and demand. Smartphones are very popular, which means more and more people are using the network. Demand for 3G data is growing a lot faster than they can increase the capacity the network is able to supply, which naturally causes the price to rise. Instead of raising everyone's rates, they're moving to a system where most people's rates actually go down a bit, while those who cause the most strain on the network make up the cost. I don't like it, and I have no intention of giving up my unlimited data plan on my iPhone, but I understand why this is happening.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 21, 2010, 10:31:49 AM »
this is gonna force me to upgrade sooner than I wanted to.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #309 on: July 21, 2010, 11:02:18 AM »
We pay 30 for unlimited right? If 2 gigs ends up being 25, then I'm not going to really complain.

I have a hard time moving 1 gig of data via my phone in a single month.  Though, if I ever get into tethering, that would be another problem all together.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 21, 2010, 04:07:56 PM »
This isn't going to last long. Maybe 4-5 years at the max. Just wait till other tech makes it easier to access the internet in cities and the usefulness of cell towers will be limited to highways and country roads.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 21, 2010, 07:49:25 PM »
Well I must be in the minority, but I use way more than 2GB every month, now that I have a Droid (and Flash 10 on it tomorrow) that's going to skyrocket.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 23, 2010, 02:08:24 AM »
Rooted Droid w/ FroYo + Flash 10.1 = w00t! Hulu has been blocked (for mobile phones, period) but I think there is a work around...

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #313 on: July 23, 2010, 02:19:42 AM »
Rooted Droid w/ FroYo + Flash 10.1 = w00t! Hulu has been blocked (for mobile phones, period) but I think there is a work around...
Yeah, worked the last time I tried it.  Only thing is, I think it'll kill your battery, which kind of defeats the purpose.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 23, 2010, 10:48:30 PM »
I've been trying out Hulu Plus on my iPhone, and it's really not bad on the battery at all. Probably because it doesn't use Flash.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 23, 2010, 11:23:47 PM »
I leave my phone plugged in if I'm doing a lot of media stuff. I just downloaded the Live TV! app, and it's fucking great. It's basically some links from atdhe.net and channelsurfing.net, but it's still awesome to be able to watch a bunch of real TV stations or South Park, the Office, etc at any time on my phone. Picture quality is amazing. Netflix should be out relatively soon, and then, I will sign up again (or just use my brother's account).

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 23, 2010, 11:51:07 PM »
I'm just not in a lot of situations where I can plug in my phone but am not near a computer.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 24, 2010, 12:00:52 AM »
True. I use mine as a radio in the kitchen (at work), I plug it in and hook up my desktop computer speakers to it. I use Xiia Live, it's pretty awesome, a very clean ShoutCast client.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 24, 2010, 07:06:03 AM »
Good news! I've been having trouble with my 3G services on T-MObile UK for years (who always claimed it was fixed), so i wrote to the chief executive of Everything Everywhere (the parent company of T-Mobile UK and Orange UK) and they agreed to reduce my contract from 18 months to 14. So i'm free! I'm off to a 30 day contract in September to greener pastures AT LAST.

This isn't going to last long. Maybe 4-5 years at the max. Just wait till other tech makes it easier to access the internet in cities and the usefulness of cell towers will be limited to highways and country roads.

It's been commonplace here for years: under the guise of UNLIMITED MOBILE INTERNETS!!!!!!!*

*fair usage of 500mb per calendar month applies
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 07:08:07 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 24, 2010, 12:17:47 PM »
Well I'm an idiot and since I installed the latest FroYo, my phone's not rooted anymore, so I can't install the Hulu fix (I can install it, but it doesn't actually do anything), but Hulu kind of sucks dick now anyway, and I'd probably die driving if I could watch it whenever I want. Still, LiveTV works (and Justin.TV and most channels on atdhe.net), and the new YouTube app is a lot better than the old one, so it's all good.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 24, 2010, 12:22:16 PM »
Of course, it's easy to get root back, but you don't actually need it for Hulu.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 24, 2010, 01:06:40 PM »
Which version of Flash do you have installed? I tried with the "real" 10.1 beta 3, and with the "Hulu fix" version, using the hulu app that sets about:debug up for you, the "real" 10.1 beta 3 just gives the "Not available on this platform" message, and the "Hulu fix" version just gives the blue lego box meaning Flash isn't actually installed. From what I've read, everyone using this version of Froyo can't get Hulu on their Droid, if you're on a Droid it needs to be rooted, but a Nexus 1 doesn't have to be.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 24, 2010, 03:26:37 PM »
I hadn't tried it in a while.  They blocked the UA spoof on http://hulu.com/widget/player on Dolphin now.  It now says "This video is not available at this site."

However, this hacked version works for me.  I'm rooted, but it never asked for root permissions, so I don't know why that would make a difference...: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bugless/55183-how-get-flash-working-2-steps.html
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 03:43:43 PM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 24, 2010, 10:16:16 PM »
Yeah thay's the one that only works on rooted Droids. Thanks though. I don't think it specifically asks to do anything but it does modify system files. I can install it, but it shows up on any Flash sites as not installed. I might just root again, but I don't know if you actually can with the ROM I'm using, might have to switch to Bugless Beast or something. Vanilla Froyo is nice though, very snappy.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 24, 2010, 10:55:23 PM »
Actually scratch that - this ROM is already rooted (didn't even notice the superuser app included)...still though, lots of people with this ROM have the same issue.