Author Topic: Verizon phones  (Read 129072 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Re: Verizon phones
« Reply #275 on: June 30, 2010, 02:42:19 PM »
Bloomberg says that Verizon gets the iPhone 4g in January

June 29 (Bloomberg) -- Verizon Wireless, the largest U.S. mobile-phone company, will start selling Apple Inc.’s iPhone next year, ending AT&T Inc.’s exclusive hold on the smartphone in the U.S., two people familiar with the plans said.

The device will be available to customers in January, according to the people, who declined to be named because the information isn’t public. Natalie Kerris, an Apple spokeswoman, and Jeffrey Nelson, a Verizon Wireless spokesman, declined to comment.

The iPhone, which has been the sole domain of rival AT&T in the U.S. since June 2007, will give Verizon a boost in its competition for smartphone customers, UBS AG analyst John Hodulik said in an interview. Verizon customers, who numbered 92.8 million at the end of the first quarter, may buy 3 million iPhones a quarter, he estimates.

“The fact is, Apple is going to dramatically increase the number of devices it sells in the U.S. when exclusivity at AT&T ends,” said Hodulik, who is based in New York and rates Verizon shares “neutral.” “It’s hard to ignore the quality issues that AT&T has faced.”

Verizon Wireless, which is building a high-speed fourth- generation network, plans to unveil several devices that will run on the new technology in January at the Consumer Electronics Show, Chief Executive Officer Lowell McAdam has said.

Let the mass exodus from AT&T and the network problems for Verizon begin in January.

assuming that they are right this time....
VZW iPhone predictions seem to mirror analyst WiiHD predictions
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 03:11:50 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 03, 2010, 12:43:11 AM »
So, this thread is now relevant to me:  I spoke with a particular rep and I'm getting a business-related discount.  Figuring some things out, I can get a smart phone, preferably and Android-based smartphone and an unlimited data package for only $10 more than what I'm paying now, with my normal plan.

I generally haven't seriously followed anything to do with Verizon smartphones. It was recommended that I wait until July 15th for the Droid X, which makes sense, since it's clearly more powerful.  Regardless, I began to look things up, and I saw there could be a "Droid 2" coming out in August.  Further reading said that the next generation of Android-based phones, as well as "Gingerbread/Android 3.0" would be coming out in October, with a matching generation of phones in November and December.

I can upgrade at any time, but my current contract ends in November, so I'd prefer to do so by then.  I'll definitely be waiting for a Droid X, but does anyone else have any sort of solid recommendation for me in this department?  Rumors have it Droid X, along with a handful of other Android-based phones will be compatible with the update, but would I be far better served waiting the extra few months for better specs?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 03, 2010, 01:22:42 AM »
I'm sure Droid X will have a 3.0 update, and the Droid Incredible as well. It's not a matter of compatibility, it's a matter of will for the service provider's software people. I'm not sure how much better specs are going to be a few months down the road, I think there will just be more similar-spec'd phones.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 03, 2010, 02:17:36 AM »
http://androidcommunity.com/googles-gingerbread-details-leak-1ghz-processor-minimum-20100630/

Droid Incredible & Droid X should both be compatible with the Gingerbread/3.0 update.

With the current battery life of phones pushing the 1Ghz cpu,. I'm not sure you want a more powerful phone until battery tech catches up. But currently Droid X is the phone to get on Verizon.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 13, 2010, 01:32:25 AM »
My friend held this thing today at the VZW store. I'm going there Thursday morning and getting one (unless I preorder on vzw.com today)...they're only getting 20...

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 13, 2010, 01:42:47 AM »
Mine's coming in the mail, apparently.  Don't buy into hype like that, just go to best buy or something.  They're licensed Verizon dealers in most stores, and have access to the same phones, probably.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 13, 2010, 11:04:35 PM »
Where did you order it? I keep checking vzw.com and it's not available for order, at least from what I can see.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 14, 2010, 04:26:10 AM »
Where did you order it? I keep checking vzw.com and it's not available for order, at least from what I can see.

Directly from a Verizon sales rep.  A business I'm involved with has a deal with Verizon, which is what inspired my upgrade.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 14, 2010, 11:58:15 PM »
Getting it (hopefully) in about 8 hours.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 15, 2010, 10:11:44 AM »
Son of a bitch, my upgrade is in December, but my contract isn't up until April. I could get one for an extra $105 (ETF) but I would lose my phone number.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #285 on: July 15, 2010, 01:37:32 PM »
**** Droid X.
http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-features/50663-motorola-droid-x-in-serious-lockdown

I wonder, could Nintendo's new protection be related to this?  Hack your device and get a brick?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:41:43 PM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #286 on: July 15, 2010, 01:43:27 PM »
I don't see the problem really. I think video game manufacturers should do something similar, have a program that basically bricks the system if it detects an attempted modification. For those who want to do something legal that requires modding it, I guess this sucks though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 15, 2010, 03:51:14 PM »
The problem is that legitimate things can sometimes cause bricks as well on accident.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 15, 2010, 05:27:33 PM »
Apparently the eFuse isn't going to brick the phone. Anyway, I hear you can call and whine and probably get one. Honestly this is the greatest phone I've ever laid my hands and eyes on. It's absolutely ridiculous...I wish it was mine. On the plus side, my friend who got it is going to give me his Droid for free. Still, I'm gonna try and suggest I'll move on to the Evo...

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #289 on: July 15, 2010, 05:36:35 PM »
Yeah, looks like it was mostly bullshit... it's there, but hopefully it won't be utilized in such a manner.
Incidentally, Xbox 360 and PS3 both use the technology, so it's entirely possible that 3DS will.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 15, 2010, 06:56:19 PM »
Yeah Microsoft killed the JTAG hack via burning eFuses.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 16, 2010, 06:01:56 PM »
So, I've got the phone.  The service, the browser, the internet all works great.  I didn't know 3G could be as fast as it is, since all my family has iPhones.  I'd say it feels about five times faster than my iPhone experiences, but I've done no comparative check, and most of my family lives in an area with notoriously bad ATT coverage (The US).

The phone, itself, feels like too much.  I've always thought I didn't need a smart phone.  I still don't think I needed one.  The plan was only a minor cost upgrade, so I figured I'd consider it, and after talking with family, I did decide to get it.  Now that I've got it, I don't know what to do with it.  The touchscreen works well, I suppose.  I accidentally got tricked into buying a case from the sales-person, because the case for it absolutely sucks.  I'm going to go shopping for a different one, and hopefully I can find one that flips over to protect the screen when it's not in use and doesn't impede quick scrolling on the touch screen.

I've had no experience with an Android-based operating system, but this one, so far, seems mediocre.  While the apps and such seem to load quicker than they do with the prior generations of iPhones, I don't have comparative experience on the iPhone 4.  However, the thing is bogged down with a bunch of random social-networking based apps from the get-go.  By apps, I mean programs integrated to run in the background of the operating system.  When you sync up a twitter account, for instance, everyone you're following is added to your contact list.  This isn't so bad, since you can favorite contacts or even just search through phone contacts as a category, but it's still weird.

I'd much rather have twitter as a separate, individual app, where I can click and then see the most recent tweets, and have general twitter access.  As it stands now, there's not even a character counter on the twitter thing.  I don't like twitter, when I use it, it's for PixlBit purposes, and I don't really want it so integrated into my phone.

Likewise, I don't want a full notification every time one of my gmail accounts gets a new email.  I'd rather have a flowing list of recent emails accessible at a click, and an easy to see counter of the inboxes whenever I go to look at my email.

Beyond that, there's a ton of pre-installed apps and seven pages you can fill up on your desktop/home page.  I looked at all of them, and about half of them had duplicate purposes or were generally confusing.

Over all, I'm not so certain I like it.  I don't know if the problem is the phone or me, but I've got a 30-day trial type of scenario, and right now, on day one, I'm considering taking advantage of it.  I'll use it on an upcoming trip, and if my impressions don't improve, I'm sending it back.  I'm going to have to fiddle with things to customize them.  I've already downloaded an app to kill programs that run in the background unnecessarily, and you wouldn't believe how programs just keep running and running.  Half them time when you go to the home screen, the program closes, and the other half, it just stays open.  Apparently that can eat up processor and battery power, which is kind of sad.  It could, again, be me that's the problem, but I'm not sure.

I will go on record and say I do like it better than an iPhone, except they've got a wider variety of cases available.  The vibrate function is used to offer feedback, and when dialing, it makes more authentic touch-tone phone numbers, things I feel old when I admit I like them.  Also, I hate having to slide a bar to pick up the phone when someone's calling and the phone is locked.  If only one hand is free, it's annoying.

Anyway, I thought I'd say some initial impressions.  I'll be talking to Nick about writing a review for PixlBit at some point, I'm not sure if it exactly fits our market or if I'd be the best person for such a thing, but I'll let people know here as my impressions grow.  When a solution pops up to modify the firmware to something less Droid X'y and more Android-ish, I'll probably do that, since, from what I've read, half of my complaints have to do with what Motorola has done to the operating system.

Edit:  I've used the touch screen a little bit more to type, and I'm instantly having an easier time hitting keys than I do with an iPhone.  Hooray!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 19, 2010, 01:09:07 AM »
Got my Droid (no, not Droid X) yesterday, activated it today. Just 3 minutes on Android makes me realize that Microsoft will never be a real competitor in the smartphone business again. The Kin flopped (sold 500 units?), WM6.5 is just the same as everything else (faster and cleaner, but still the same soul), and WM7 keeps getting delayed (I think it was supposed to be out over a year ago, maybe 2). Google Maps Navigation is just plain awesome, I didn't realize how full-fledged it was until I used it today. Google Maps (iPhone or WM) is complete **** compared to the real deal on Android. I gave my Omnia to my daughter (she's 4), she loves to listen to Sweet Dreams (yes, Marilyn Manson) over and over, and now she can with that phone.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 19, 2010, 02:04:59 AM »
For the record, I was shocked to open up the App store and find emulators for the NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Gear, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance right there for sale, with some even for free.  They were pretty high in the download list, too.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 19, 2010, 09:15:09 AM »
That's because Google is awesome and lets people do what they want to do. Think about it - if someone tried to put an NES emulator on the App store (iPhone), then they could just turn that one purchase into as many games as they wanted, so Apple wouldn't make any more money. It can't be for legal reasons (that Apple doesn't allow it), since there's nothing illegal about writing or using an emulator.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #295 on: July 19, 2010, 10:02:29 AM »
ES File Explorer is cool, Google Sky Map is neat, Save MMS is essential if you get files sent via text, Amazon's app has the barcode scanner, Ringdroid works great for editing MP3s, PhoneFlicks allows you to manage your Netflix but its buggy. And I installed Solitaire for those not enough time to do anything else but still long enough to be boring moments.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 19, 2010, 05:04:56 PM »
Before I start taking advantage of all this stuff, I'm going to need a better or second (or third!) battery.  The thing doesn't really die all that fast, but I don't want to be caught with my phone out of juice when it might need it, and continuous use of something on the phone would probably drain the battery after four or five hours, six at the most, which really isn't enough.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 19, 2010, 10:48:21 PM »
That's because Google is awesome and lets people do what they want to do. Think about it - if someone tried to put an NES emulator on the App store (iPhone), then they could just turn that one purchase into as many games as they wanted, so Apple wouldn't make any more money. It can't be for legal reasons (that Apple doesn't allow it), since there's nothing illegal about writing or using an emulator.

That's just stupid. Of course it's for legal reasons; it's not technically illegal, but that wouldn't stop them from getting into legal battles over it. Apple also wants to maintain good relations with game companies, and although Nintendo's not going to develop for the iPhone, companies like Capcom and Konami do.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 20, 2010, 01:33:07 AM »
How is that stupid? Nintendo hasn't gone after anyone making emulators on Android (or anyone making emulators for Windows, etc). I could see them taking action (or trying to) if there was say, a Nintendo DS emulator on Android or iPhone...but I'm pretty sure the fact that there is nothing illegal going on...would prevent any legal battles. It's the same reason Kinoma Play (probably the best program for Windows Mobile) doesn't exist on Windows Mobile or GrooveShark only exists for jailbroken iPhones, people wouldn't need iTunes anymore, and Apple won't let them release the programs because they would lead to less revenue for Apple through app and music sales.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #299 on: July 20, 2010, 02:03:05 AM »
I thought downloading ROMs of games you didn't own to play on emulators of systems that you also didn't own constituted piracy and was illegal.  You can't say 100% of those people using the emulator apps own 100% of the games they were downloading for free.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.