Author Topic: Verizon phones  (Read 129114 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Re: Verizon phones
« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2009, 04:01:18 PM »
she is signed up to some survey for cash thing.
they send surveys to her e-mail where some you fill out and earn money, others you just need to open the e-mail and you earn money. During the filling out the survey part, they try to find out your interest and pull surveys from those areas for you that usually have some sort of prize attached. The Moto Droid was one of them. If she runs across another one, I'll see if I can copy/past the address for it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2009, 04:03:50 PM »
That would be sweet. I've got a long time before I'm eligible for an upgrade. I just saw Flash 10.1 will be on Android (and WM) early next year - and it uses GPU acceleration, even making HD YouTube videos 100% watchable.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2009, 04:09:27 PM »
I put that on this PoS laptop and videos have been much smoother.
Full Screen Hulu would usually freeze (audio continues to play) forcing you to exit Full screen.
And YouTube HD was so choppy that it was unwatchable.

Both problems fixed with the Flash 10.1 Beta
Both work almost flawlessly, a small stutter here and a small stutter there.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2009, 09:32:45 PM »
Bluetooth isn't overly slow... I would prefer USB, but overall it works great.

Hopefully PDANet will make a Mac client for Android connections soon.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 28, 2009, 01:03:42 AM »
That would be sweet. I've got a long time before I'm eligible for an upgrade. I just saw Flash 10.1 will be on Android (and WM) early next year - and it uses GPU acceleration, even making HD YouTube videos 100% watchable.

I got another one for you, I'll send it to your PM. if anyone else wants it, just ask.
It gives you 2 phones and I have a feeling that something went bad with the one we already tried to sign up for (delayed completion of sign-up for required promotions).
So if mine doesn't go through correctly, will you hook me up with your other free one?

EDIT: DON'T DO THAT DEAL. IT WASN'T FROM THE SAME PROGRAM MY GIRL GOT.
it has a ridiculous amount of requirements that need to be completed and the last two require you to spend more money than the free items are worth.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 01:56:17 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 28, 2009, 04:39:50 PM »
YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T GET SOMETHING FOR NOTHING?!  THERE GOES MY WHOLE BELIEF SYSTEM.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 29, 2009, 01:25:47 PM »
have you ever done any of those sponsorship programs?

I know people that have gotten plenty of free stuff without paying anything(as long as they cancel the free trials on time)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 29, 2009, 10:41:43 PM »
YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T GET SOMETHING FOR NOTHING?!  THERE GOES MY WHOLE BELIEF SYSTEM.

Tell that to Pepsi. ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 30, 2009, 01:38:50 PM »
Doesn't count--I had to pay some guy to drink a bunch of Pepsi for me. 
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #159 on: November 30, 2009, 01:49:15 PM »
I had the most depressing thing happen to me over thanksgiving.  My Mom brought me a ziplock of about 80 pepsi rock band caps and said "didn't you say you wanted some of these?"

:(
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #160 on: November 30, 2009, 02:02:23 PM »
Doesn't count--I had to pay some guy to drink a bunch of Pepsi for me. 
Now I need to pay some guy to enter in all those codes into my Wii/DSi.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2009, 07:35:05 PM »
Looks like the Google Phone "Nexus One" is real.
Unfortunately looks like it's going to t-mobile.

Missed opportunity if you ask me.
battle the iPhone head on using the Verizon/Sprint compatible 3G network

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 14, 2009, 07:53:29 PM »
or on AT&T
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 14, 2009, 08:04:52 PM »
Supposedly T-Mobile & AT&T have non compatible 3G standards.
But if AT&T can't handle iPhone, why would Google want to help cause more call failure rates on less 3G coverage?

You would think that they(AT&T/T-Mo) would probably allow piggy backing off of each others networks(like Verizon allows Sprint), but maybe neither one sees the benefit since both of their networks aren't much better than the other.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 20, 2009, 02:31:49 AM »
AT&T and T-Mobile can't be that incompatible; if you hack an iPhone you can get it to run on T-Mobile.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 20, 2009, 03:39:30 AM »
on the old 3G standard for the their phones.
From what I been hearing AT&T & T-Mobile have both updated their 3G networks and they took different routes on the specifications from each other. Their new 3G networks are not compatible with each other.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 20, 2009, 05:02:44 AM »
Isn't there a group that requires things like 3G standards to be universal?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 15, 2010, 09:23:19 PM »
Wow.  Verizon is really sticking it to people with these new rate plans.  Starting Monday, if I wanted to start up a new account with the exact same features I have now, it'd run me $20 more (~$25 after changes in discounts and taxes - or about 33% more).

I called to find out my contract end date/current ETF and the guy was trying to up-sell me to a smart phone.  He looked at my last month's bill and determined that I could do without my current unlimited messaging and drop $10 to the 500/M2M package.  I used 445 of those 500 messages last month... way too close for comfort.  This new plan of his was going to "only cost $10 more" (until, of course, I ran over those 500 messages).  He seemed totally unable to accept the idea that I want the cost of my bill to go down over time - not up.

I can get unlimited talk/text/data on Straight Talk for $45/month - $20 less than I'm paying now - and including unlimited talk (which, to be fair, I don't use much at all) - and $40 less than I'll likely end up having to pay if I ever want to upgrade my phone.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #168 on: January 15, 2010, 10:45:58 PM »
I now have the HTC Eris from Verizon. Its been pretty cool so far, other than the battery getting sucked dry every day. I do use my bluetooth headset often, and its checking a couple of mail accounts for me, and I have my Facebook updates... maybe the battery isn't so bad considering its comparable to having a mini-pc in my pocket.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 16, 2010, 04:20:13 AM »
@UB: Hmmmmmm......

Verizon and AT&T dial up wireless plan wars
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Verizon Wireless said early Friday it will lower prices on its unlimited wireless plans.

Later in the day, AT&T followed suit.

Verizon cut its unlimited family talk and text plan from $229.99 to $149.99 and its nationwide unlimited voice plan was reduced to $69.99 from $99.99.

An unlimited family voice plan will cost users $119.99, down from $199.99, and nationwide unlimited talk and text plans were lowered to $89.99 from $119.99.

"Prices either stayed the same or were lowered for unlimited usage," said Brenda Raney, a Verizon Wireless spokeswoman.

The lower prices will be offered Monday. Existing customer contracts will not be affected, but customers may switch over to any of the new plans without a penalty or contract extension.

After the announcement, AT&T said it will cut back prices on unlimited plans as well and the new rates will also be available Monday.
0:00 /3:17US says smartphones are data-hogs

AT&T will lower the price of each of its unlimited plans by $30, leaving the two companies neck and neck yet again.

"We are committed to providing more value to our customers and staying competitive in the marketplace," said AT&T spokesman Fletcher Cook. "These new plans make it even more attractive to choose AT&T."

"The reason AT&T had to lower its prices is because its brand reputation is taking a lot of hits," said Doug Helmreich, program director at consultancy CFI Group. "It's predictable just because they are a big player in the market and they can't not respond."

And because competitors won't want to be left in the dust, other wireless service providers including Sprint Nextel (S, Fortune 500), T-Mobile USA are likely to hop on the bandwagon, said Daniel Hays, wireless expert and partner at consultancy PRTM.

But Verizon's smaller -- but growing -- competitors may be even more affected by the price reductions.

"This is going to put continued pressure on some of the smaller players like Leap Wireless (LEAP) and MetroPCS (PCS) who have really been taking the lead in this pricing competition," Hays added. "They're going to be the ones who are going to have primary impact."

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 16, 2010, 04:25:43 AM »
I want to get a Droid and plan on switching to Verizon from AT&T in the coming months. I especially decided to go this way when I found out my co-worker pays the same as I do ($100) for her Droid w/ unlimited Data/Text/whatever + 500 minutes.

I pay $100 for 900 minutes + unlimited texting. This is what I got when I finally switched over my phone from my parents plan to my own in December and The nail in the coffin was the AT&T rep said I used over 800 minutes on average so 900 should do me. I get my first full statement and I now have 200 rollover minutes...yeah.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 16, 2010, 09:46:05 AM »
@UB: Hmmmmmm......

Interesting that article makes no mention of the new data plan requirements.

Basically, virtually any 3G-enabled phone will now *require* a data package of either $10 or $30.

The Connect and Premium plans are being discontinued.

My current plan gives me 450 Minutes, unlimited messaging and unlimited data for $70 (Nationwide Connect 450).
The new Nationwide 450 Talk and Text package is $60 and gives you the 450 Minutes and unlimited messaging.  To get unlimited data, you have to add the $30 data package - $90 total.

Now - while I don't *currently* have to change my plan, I know Verizon.  Later, when I want to upgrade my phone, I'll be allowed to either A) Keep my current plan and pick from a small selection of the crappiest, most basic phones or B) Change to a current plan to get a phone with industry standard features.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 16, 2010, 10:26:37 AM »
Off-topic, but this is why I love carriers that use SIM cards (e.g. T-Mobile and AT&T).  If you want to upgrade your phone without changing your current plan (or even signing up for a plan if your current one has transitioned to month-to-month) you just buy a new phone on the secondary market, pop your SIM card in and you're all set.  Easy as pie!

My parents are on Verizon, and I'll never switch for that reason alone.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 16, 2010, 02:18:15 PM »
I've upgraded my phone without switching plans and even switched to a different phone from my bedroom without the help from Verizon. All I had to do was log online, so I not sure what you're trying to say.

To switch your phone all you need is the ESM number and enter it into your account. You gonna need a data cable or the online backup plan if you want to transfer your ph#s though.

SIM card is obviously easier, but you make it sound like it's not possible on CDMA.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 16, 2010, 02:21:09 PM »
Off-topic, but this is why I love carriers that use SIM cards (e.g. T-Mobile and AT&T).  If you want to upgrade your phone without changing your current plan (or even signing up for a plan if your current one has transitioned to month-to-month) you just buy a new phone on the secondary market, pop your SIM card in and you're all set.  Easy as pie!

My parents are on Verizon, and I'll never switch for that reason alone.
You can do that with any carrier, it has nothing to do with SIM cards. You can go buy a phone on eBay, call Verizon, and have them switch your activation over, or you can do it on their website. Also, it's usually not as simple as swapping SIM cards, the phone may have to be unlocked first, not all of the settings work the same way, you may have to flash the ROM (if it's a Windows Mobile device), etc.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA