Author Topic: HD shooters FAIL!  (Read 12497 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: HD shooters FAIL!
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2009, 02:19:28 PM »
I think this thread shows what's wrong with the current generation of gaming: too much criticizing of systems people don't own and of games people never played, and not enough actual playing of the games people do own and celebrating what they like. I guess it stems from people not being able to afford all three systems so they have to fool themselves into believing a system they don't own is worthless and has bad games.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2009, 02:21:38 PM »
Now, to be serious, I just wanted to point something out about this thread that really hits the nail on the head as far as the problem with these forums.

This thread has been reported for trolling by several people.  Some of them point out that the entire thread is trolling non Nintendo systems.

Other reports complain that the people are trolling Nintendo for defending the other consoles.

Does anyone else see how ridiculous this is?  Seriously, so many people on this board need to take the freaking blinders off.  Stop reporting this thread. There is nothing I can do to it that will make people happy.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2009, 02:22:03 PM »
Well said Mop.. you typed that out while I was typing mine.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2009, 02:23:24 PM »
Please.

How can you have a console war without....war?

edit: I didn't see Pale's post first
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 02:25:10 PM by Zap »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2009, 02:25:06 PM »
I think this thread shows what's wrong with the current generation of gaming: too much criticizing of systems people don't own and of games people never played, and not enough actual playing of the games people do own and celebrating what they like. I guess it stems from people not being able to afford all three systems so they have to fool themselves into believing a system they don't own is worthless and has bad games.
Mop_it_up wins the thread.

To add on to that the problem this gen is an elitest mentality. Just enjoy the games that each system has and don't put down other systems. It really gets tiring seeing this happen over and over again.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2009, 02:27:40 PM »
I think this topic has merit in the sense that instead of creating something new with HD graphics they tend to stick with the tried and true.

You could make the same argument about Nintendo and their franchises.  Instead of creating new IP they stick with the tried and true - Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Metroid Prime re-release, New Play Control re-releases, etc.  Of course, the counter-argument to that is the new stuff they've done like Wii Sports/Resort, Punch-Out!!, Wii Fit, Wii Music, and a bunch of awesome (and original) DS games.

My point is that this all feeds into a stereotype that reinforces what you don't like about the other consoles.  So what if you don't like first-person shooters?  Just ignore them.  They aren't made for you anyways, just like Nintendo games on the whole aren't made for some people either.  This entire thread is fanboy troll-baiting, and it gets so old.  You could go to a PS3 or 360 forum and see a thread just like this turned around on the Wii, with the same hyperbolic arguments and blanket statements.

Stuff like this just drags down the atmosphere of these forums...that's why I don't like it.

In all honesty, I posted this with the goal of simply saying "Haha! Look, it's funny!", but I think I'll turn this discussion serious now since a very good point has just been presented here...

Yes, you're right: there are threads on other forums dedicated to the PS360 mocking the Wii, but the same threads exist on general gaming forums as well.

The Wii is regarded as crap on most any general gaming forum. Why is that? Is it because it HONESTLY had zero games worth playing? Of course not: I spend my free time playing Brawl and whatever I rent from GameFly, which recently included Overlord (which was great but short), LKS, Punchout and now I'm starting on the Conduit. This very minute, I'm reliving the days of my youth with Sonic the Hedgehog on the virtual console. The Wii is a FANTASTIC platform for games.

So why does it get trashed in any non-Nintendo forum and even some Nintendo specific forums?

Let's think back to the GC for a minute. I don't care what anyone says, the GC was a goddamn good system. SSBM, Pikmin 1&2, Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, FF:CC, Four Swords, Eternal Darkness, MGS:TS, Geist (the aiming was the ONLY downside of this game), Super Monkey Ball, F-ZeroGX, Metroid Prime 1&2, Animal Crossing, etc., etc. Yet, it routinely got **** all over, especially by the people who were supposed to be the GC-specific editors! (I'm looking at YOU, IGN).

I've looked over the library of the original Xbox: 90% of it was utter crap. All this militant Xbox fanboyism that went on back then was nothing more than smoke and mirrors and male posturing. These guys sure as hell weren't going on about the wonderful games the system had, but the system itself.

But here's the fucking ridiculous part: it WORKED! All of the FUD that Microsoft succeeded in spreading, combined with the lack of support for the GC by its own alleged proponents meant that any kid looking to pick up a console of that generation was unlikely to pick up a GC for fear of ridicule. It was an excellent system with many, MANY AAA games, and yet none of that mattered because, when push came to shove, no one would stand up for the GC.

Let's look at the GC's closest approximation this gen, the PS3. The PS3 is in dead last, launched with terribad numbers, has suffered a huge drought of quality exclusives and has been plagued by price point problems from day one. For all the flak they take, the Sony Defense Force doesn't...give...up. I don't see IGN PS3 editors talking about playing Halo 3 instead of reviewing Killzone 2, because despite the fact that the PS3 is in a far, FAR more laughable state than the GC ever was (Giant enemy crab, 599 US dollars, you'll get a 2nd job to buy one, etc.), they haven't quit on it.

I'm not saying that militant fanboyism is a good thing, but the problem lies in the fact that no doubt many potential Wii owners have been pushed away from owning a Wii. They check online, largely uneducated, to see what people are saying about it, and when they see PS360 sites lambasting the Wii and ALSO see Wii sites lambasting the Wii, odds are they're not going to pick one up.

I think Nintendo saw this happening and the blue ocean was also intended to shift the customer base OUT of the group that succumbs to peer pressure and FUD.

The point is, the HD consoles can handle themselves (I have a 360 and PS3 as well, FYI). They're attached to gigantic, multinational corporations who will disappear from the market the minute that the "owning the living room" dream is made irrelevant by some unforeseen sweeping change and they'll be off to greener pastures.

But Nintendo is in this until the bitter end: I believe them when they say they'll go out of business before selling out. Right now, the FUD has basically succeeded in convincing the internet that the Wii has no good games to play, despite the MANY examples to the contrary that abound. If we, the alleged Nintendo fans, don't stick up for the console, then our silence equates damnation for the Wii. To the many thousands of lurkers this forum sees daily, I'm sure most come away with the idea that even a community built around Nintendo has few good things to say about the Wii.

I believe the Wii is the best of the three consoles, by leaps and bounds. I believe that motion control is just waiting for an enterprising developer to unveil its true potential. In my support of the Wii, I don't see anything wrong with poking fun at some of the very WORST trends in gaming, such as the endless rehashing of the same goddamn FPS over and over and over again. I'm actually a FPS connoisseur, which is why I see TF2 as proof that god loves humanity, hence why I balk at the endless parade of stale, uninspired shooters (Conduit included).

In summary, poking fun at the "enemy" is not only warranted but is necessary to maintain a sense that, yes, there IS a fanbase behind the Wii. Besides, this is pretty harmless compared to what you might see on other forums. It's not like this thread is titled "PS360 ARE GIANT PIECES OF ****!!!", but I'm sure you can find a thread suggesting the very same about the Wii on many other forums.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2009, 02:38:29 PM »

I own all three consoles. I've played games from all of them and found myself liking/being disappointed with games from all three. What I've pointed out here is a problem on the PS360. I'd love to see more Uncharteds, LBPs and Assassin's Creeds. God willing, we'll see more of these instead of just more stale shooters with gimmicks.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2009, 02:40:21 PM »
Whats actually surprising is that the PS3 is doing almost exactly the same as the GC despite the original price tag of $599. If you line uip the launches of the PS3 to the 360, they are actually pretty even at this point.

The Wii is on par with the PS2 software wise and was outpacing it hardware wise, until recently.

The 360 is doing similar to what the Xbox did, which is not much better than the GC.

The parallels are kind of funny.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2009, 02:45:04 PM »
You know what they say, those who don't learn from history are bound to repeat it.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2009, 02:46:30 PM »
The point is, the HD consoles can handle themselves (I have a 360 and PS3 as well, FYI). They're attached to gigantic, multinational corporations who will disappear from the market the minute that the "owning the living room" dream is made irrelevant by some unforeseen sweeping change and they'll be off to greener pastures.

Thank you Smash Brother for putting it in perspective. Either defend gaming or climb aboard the trojan horse at the gates of your living room. To me the choice is clear.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2009, 02:49:59 PM »
Wow.  I took the quiz.  And failed miserably.  I must say, I'm shocked.  And saddened.  Definitely giving up shooters now, whats the point?
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2009, 02:54:14 PM »
Wow.  I took the quiz.  And failed miserably.  I must say, I'm shocked.  And saddened.  Definitely giving up shooters now, whats the point?

Well if you've played one HD shooter, you've played them all.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2009, 02:57:34 PM »

Well if you've played one HD shooter, you've played them all.

So basically Resistance 2 and Battlefield 1943 are the same thing?  Good to know.  I won't bother with Battlefield then.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2009, 03:16:55 PM »
I took the quiz but didn't get to see results because I would have had to make an account for that.

All HD shooters are about moving a shopping trolley carrying your reticle over the few pixels of enemy head you can see and then giving off a single bullet. The same goes for CoD4 DS except the reticle is smoother to control and the whole game a lot less fun. Oh and there's always cover and regenerating health, usually also a severely limited weapon capacity (like 2). But well, what do I know living in a country where GoW2 was never released and games like the good CoDs are so overpriced I won't buy them.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2009, 03:46:44 PM »
KDR see the post above you.
your not missing anything.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2009, 03:52:56 PM »
I noticed that Half Life 2 is included in the quiz, as well as Halo 3.  If anyone thinks that these are two identical gaming experiences, then I'd be surprised.  Half Life 2 is a carefully crafted single player adventure, and Halo 3 is a competitive multiplayer first person military sim.

I really do love shooters in the vein of Half Life 2 and Bioshock, and I really don't care for military themed or competitive FPS games. I don't see a lot ground to gain bashing these games, I just choose not to play them.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2009, 04:07:10 PM »
I noticed that Half Life 2 is included in the quiz, as well as Halo 3.  If anyone thinks that these are two identical gaming experiences, then I'd be surprised.  Half Life 2 is a carefully crafted single player adventure, and Halo 3 is a competitive multiplayer first person military sim.

I really do love shooters in the vein of Half Life 2 and Bioshock, and I really don't care for military themed or competitive FPS games. I don't see a lot ground to gain bashing these games, I just choose not to play them.

Well I don't think I said that Half-Life 2 isn't a good game, nor many of the ones on the list, but my point is that it is sad that the artistic styles are so similar that is very hard to tell may of these apart. To me it shows a problem with artistic design in the gaming industry more then anything, yeah there are exceptions, like Bioshock but too many of these games leave creative visuals in the garbage can for realism. That trend bothers me a bit.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2009, 04:12:23 PM »
So why does The Conduit get such a pass from many (not all) Wii loyalists?  Sure, its not a grey/brown shooter, and its not HD, but the style of the characters and environments look like the same shooters we played around the turn of the century?  Why the double standard?  Hmmm....

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2009, 04:14:13 PM »
So why does The Conduit get such a pass from many (not all) Wii loyalists?  Sure, its not a grey/brown shooter, and its not HD, but the style of the characters and environments look like the same shooters we played around the turn of the century?  Why the double standard?  Hmmm....

I don't recall anyone defending the Conduit as a brilliant artistic achievement in visuals, feel free to find someone that said that. People liked the Conduit because it was a solid FPS and enjoyed the Wiimote controls.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2009, 04:18:29 PM »
Us Wii owners are just hoping to achieve the same level of mediocrity that the HD consoles get shoved down their throat. The Conduit was a good first step.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2009, 04:28:27 PM »
Does anyone else see how ridiculous this is?  Seriously, so many people on this board need to take the freaking blinders off.  Stop reporting this thread. There is nothing I can do to it that will make people happy.

Yes there is. But i will not say it as you can edit my brain and find out for yourself.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2009, 05:28:09 PM »
People like the Conduit because it has great controls, and a lot of online features - aside form that, it's the same as every other FPS too. It should be on this list. In that sense, every single game in the "quiz" is at least a "solid" FPS.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2009, 05:43:54 PM »
You can't take one screenshot from each game and say they're all exactly the same. I'll bet I could take a screenshot from Super Mario Galaxy and Halo 3 which looks similar.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2009, 05:53:06 PM »
You could try it. But the wimpy, impotent hero and lame, lifeless environments would give Halo away.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2009, 05:57:17 PM »
You could try it. But the wimpy, impotent hero and lame, lifeless environments would give Halo away.

HD Brown and Waggle Brown.