Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 777760 times)

billny6414202 and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline kaijugamer

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #4575 on: February 17, 2019, 10:25:48 PM »
I lowkey enjoy The Good Place.

Offline Adrock

• iWatch? Here we go again.
  • Score: 114
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: February 18, 2019, 06:45:55 AM »
The Dragon Prince

Binged Season 1 last week then binged all of Season 2 on Saturday. S2 is better from a narrative standpoint since most of the world building was out of the way. The animation is excellent. My brother said they skip frames though I didn’t notice.

The show really leans in with respresentation. There’s a black king, two interracial relationships including a lesbian couple, a mute female general with subordinates who just know and use American Sign Language. No one in this world questions any of that. As a non-white person, I like seeing representation in works of fiction. There were fleeting moments when I thought some of it felt forced. I wondered if I felt that way because I’m so used to not seeing representation. What does that say about our culture? What does that say about me?

One of my complaints about The Legend of Korra was the ending didn’t feel earned. Korra and Asami were suddenly shipped and it felt forced. I thought that was a disservice to the LGBTQ+ community even though the reaction was largely positive because at least the creators did something. It felt like token representation at the 11th hour which was weird because the best character by far in Avatar: The Last Airbender was blind. The Dragon Prince pulls no punches. Representation just is now and the creators tell the audience to simply deal with it which I think is a better way.

Anyway, The Dragon Prince dumps a lot of exposition in the beginning of S1. The story itself was fairly generic at first though it got significantly better. The writers upend expectations several times. Rayla doesn’t tell Callum something important so when Callum finds out from someone else, he’s initially upset. One would think this would lead to a big fight between Callum and Rayla except when Callum has to tell his younger brother the same news, he can’t bring himself to do it for the same reason Rayla couldn’t. What could have devolved into the most generic misunderstanding in fiction turned into a really great character moment between the two. That’s just great writing.

Still, the writers occasionally shoehorn memes into the dialog, and I found that to be more distracting than anything. The villain is kind of a caricature. I hope they give Viren more depth in S3 because he’s trending toward mustache twirling territory. Anyway, I’m pretty invested now and the seasons are short enough to get through pretty easily.

Offline Adrock

• iWatch? Here we go again.
  • Score: 114
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: March 08, 2019, 06:12:39 AM »
Russian Doll

Natasha Lyonne plays one character: Natasha Lyonne. I don’t think i’ve ever seen her try to play a different character. She was Natasha Lyonne in Orange is the New Black, and Nikki was my favorite character in that show. Unfortunately, that show became too absurd to keep watching. Natasha Lyonne is good at playing Natasha Lyonne-like characters, and she should keep playing Natasha Lyonne in things.

I originally wasn’t that interested beyond liking Natasha Lyonne as Natasha Lyonne. I really like that Bill Murray joint, Groundhog Day, and outside of Majora’s Mask, I haven’t seen anything do something unique with the concept (EDIT: I really like Edge of Tomorrow/Live.Die.Repeat). I kept hearing good things about Russian Doll, and since my life isn’t that interesting, I decided to give it a shot.

Russian Doll does a very good job establishing the rules of the reset. Nadia Vulvokov has to die to reset the day except she always goes back to the night of her birthday when she’s in the bathroom with “Gotta Get Up” by Harry Nilsson playing. Her friend always says, “Sweet birthday baby!” to her when she walks into the kitchen. That repetition is good world building (which admittedly borrows a lot from Groundhog Day). When it doesn’t happen, it’s immediately noticeable. Additionally, Nadia can make it to the next day and the day after, but she always seems to die or some force is causing her death to trigger a reset.

Groundhog Day wisely did not try to explain why Phil Connors was trapped in a loop. There’s no time for that in a 90 to 100 minute movie. In a show, it works really well for Russian Doll. Nadia trying to figure out what is causing the loop is a fun part of Russian Doll. The show does some pretty interesting things with the time loop concept such as Nadia meeting another person trapped in the same loop, separating them into different loops where the other person is “non-looped” and never experienced a loop etc. It even acknowledges the possibility of multiple universes where the world continues after Nadia was violently killed in some freak accident (not a spoiler, Nadia has a realization that this might be happening). The concept of time loops are really cool to me. As a side bar, I recommend this five minute short film, One-Minute Time Machine.
The troubled relationship between Nadia and her mother is a bit cliche though Chloë Sevigny does her best to make Lenora more than a bad mother trope. That’s my only real knock against Russian Doll so far. Alan is kind of grating, but I think that’s the point. Dascha Polanco just isn’t a very good actress so I don’t know how she keeps showing up in things. She is thankfully not in Russian Doll a lot though she’s in a couple really important scenes. There’s definitely going to be another season. However, I hope the writers wrap it up after the third season, if not the second. While I like a lot of what’s going on here, I don’t want it to overstay its welcome.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 06:54:26 AM by Adrock »

Offline oohhboy

• should smile more
  • Score: 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: March 13, 2019, 11:03:39 PM »
I am not sure what the writers of Supergirl is getting at but they seem to have dumped the copy of Supergirl which has a total screen time of about a minute. They somehow managed to release a serial killer.

Worse of all I am in total agreement at this point of what the Elites are going murking all these people who are ridiculously guilty of genocide. Yet we are somehow expected to follow the Rule of Law which I am super big on which doesn't exist in the Supergirl world with alphabet agencies, groups and people running around doing whatever while moralising.

Bloody breaking up Lena and Olsen again. They have the most interesting relationship in the show and they break it with the same reason they used earlier. This isn't the trope where two people getting together their story ends, they is so much going for them.

Its still watch-able despite the show not knowing what the **** it wants to do with hack writers garbage drama. Kara not Supergirl gives it a bit of fun, funny and something cleverish where she has to play dumb while helping everyone. Also the Elites murking all these people. Menagerie just came out of nowhere though so err yeah.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• by day. BlackNWild by night!
  • Score: 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: March 17, 2019, 08:30:18 AM »
Aggretsuko - Netflix

My daughter discovered this cartoon. about a little Red Panda (Sanrio created like Hello Kitty) who works at an accounting firm and absolutely hates her job, but does her best to hide it.
There's a handful of very interesting characters in this, an office full of all sorts of different animals all with very distinct personalities, such as her Dept manager the Big angry Pig and the Slithering Snake lady, but I think my favorite crazy character outside of the main Retsuko, has to be Fenneko the unassuming Instagram Slueth.
I can't pinpoint her animal type, but damn, talk about crazy. LOL

I didn't actually expect to like this show, as I just thought it was weird for the first few episodes, but characters start to grow on you, especially once you realize how they represent the different aspects of that corporate culture and the types of people you are bound to meet.

But I have to say that the musical theme and form of stress release for Retsuko for this show, is DEATH METAL, and despite that, there are some good lessons shown in here.

Long story short, I actually look forward to season 2.
but if it wasn't for my daughter insisting on that cartoon, I would have never made it past the first 2 episodes.

Online billny6414202

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: Today at 07:25:46 PM »
I have last tv show seen is grand blue manga show and I like it tv show.