Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 622886 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #2100 on: December 03, 2011, 05:17:04 AM »
LULZ
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: December 03, 2011, 11:08:18 AM »
Only a woman would make you carry 5 pumpkins at once instead of letting you make 2 or 3 trips.

Offline yosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: December 03, 2011, 12:35:43 PM »
Yeah Yosh they did that with Twilight Princess, one of the big complains among the staff of Twilight Princess was they didn't WANT to maintain a constant realistic style because it constrained them. A balance was struck between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess in style. The Zelda staff like to make creepy Tingle people who dance around in green leotards, hang from balloons and spread confetti. If you don't like that stuff then you are an unusual Zelda fan.

I feel like the only reason why they didn't go with a darker more realistic style is because the console couldn't handle it. If that Wii U tech demo means anything then it's obvious that they want to go back to that style since the hardware won't severely limit them.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: December 03, 2011, 01:06:32 PM »
Wind Waker was Nick Jr?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: December 03, 2011, 01:09:16 PM »
I don't see how the style is a bad thing. Some of my favorite cartoons of all time came from Nick. Avatar, Rocko's Modern Life, Doug, Catdog, Angry Beavers, Rugrats, Ahhh! Real Monsters, and so on and so forth.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: December 03, 2011, 02:22:54 PM »
You get a goofy squid boss, but an epic black scaled giant head with feet, an awesome pirate, cool scorpions and so on. As far as I can tell the epic scary looking monsters far out weigh the more "nick toon" designs.

Besides TP had plenty of nasty looking monsters, I like a little variety.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: December 03, 2011, 08:55:25 PM »
If you want a realistic adventure game, go play Uncharted or something.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: December 04, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
That spider in the Wii U demo was dark and freaky.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #2108 on: December 04, 2011, 12:29:04 AM »
If you want a realistic adventure game, go play Uncharted or something.
Funny you say that, Mop... because after playing my 60 hours through Skyward Sword, I can definitely say Nintendo put a little Uncharted in to my Zelda. ;)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: December 04, 2011, 04:20:13 PM »
The enemies in this game are sapping my will to play. I don't know what it is, but I can't get the motion controls to work right half the time. The weird thing is, I took the game over to my cousin's house and showed it to him for a few hours and both of us were doing fine with the motion controls.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: December 04, 2011, 04:29:41 PM »
ShyGuy, I suggest checking to see if there are stray sources of IR light in the room that you're playing. I've noticed that the game uses the sensor bar to determine which way is forward, and if the Wiimote sees other IR light, it will interpret that as the sensor and reset Link to face forward in that direction. I discovered this when playing on a sunny day and Link kept resetting every time the Wiimote faced the window, causing my swings to be misinterpreted.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: December 04, 2011, 04:33:10 PM »
You're probably right, but I don't know why these light problems didn't screw me up playing Red Steel 2.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: December 04, 2011, 04:54:11 PM »
I think it's because the IR in this game is used to Calibrate the WM+. On the flipside, Red Steel 2 didn't use the IR for that function.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: December 04, 2011, 08:49:06 PM »
Have to say I kind of agree with some of the concerns regarding the game. I am not a fan of how blatantly they have reused assets, especially having to go back into old dungeons. It isn't fun, and it feels like padding, just for the sake of padding. I'm finding it a chore now to play the game, especially since I have (at least) two more silent realms to do as well. While the first one wasn't hard, per say, I hated it.

I'll keep on playing, but it is sad that I have to force myself too. The game has so many good things going for it, but the flaws are way too big to overlook. Perhaps my opinion will change as I progress, but who knows.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: December 04, 2011, 09:49:48 PM »
I failed the first Silent Realm twice due to poor planning. I was surrounded by the ring of that forbidden water stuff the first time and I was too far away from the exit the second. Nintendo is padding the game but they don't need to. If you took the Silent Realm out, the game would still be plenty lengthy. Reentering dungeons is almost a good idea. If you could open up a new path or section in a dungeon later, that would be cool, but the problem is that people would keep trying to open that path with the current items and that effectively slows the game down since revisiting dungeons is something we rarely did in previous installments. I suppose having Robot Fi tell you that you can't proceed that way could work.

I almost stopped playing a few times. It's not terrible though admittedly, I'm partially forcing myself to keep going because I spent a lot of money on the game and I want my money's worth. I'm not even using the gold Wii Remote so I kind of feel like that was a waste. Looking back months/years from now, I'll probably appreciate it more.

I think the biggest problem with the game is that the Zelda team seems torn between adhering to tradition and blowing the series wide open. The cutscenes are getting longer and more elaborate but there's no voice acting. There are robots and minecarts now but the world has always been sort of grounded in a swords and scorcery setting. It's like Nintendo wants to redefine the series but can't bring themselves to. They can't commit to it in a meaningful way because it wouldn't be Zelda which I think is silly. They can and should. It's called progress. There are definitely times in the 15 hours or so I've been playing where I felt that the game would be better if it wasn't trying so hard to be a Zelda game. For example, Robot Fi follows the companion/assistant tradition of Navi, Tatl, and Midna but she fucking sucks.

Additionally, there are just some bad ideas. The Silent Realm is a bad idea. The way the harp works is a bad idea. All of the nothing in the sky is a bad idea. The upgrade system is a good idea; the way it works is a bad idea. I have to catch birds in a net just to upgrade my shield. How the **** does that make sense? I don't remember another Zelda game having this many issues. To its credit, Skyward Sword is flawed but still moderately enjoyable. Spirit Tracks was flawed and boring. It's the only modern Zelda game that I literally couldn't bring myself to finish. I will most definitely finish Skyward Sword even if I lack the same drive as I had with the older games.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: December 04, 2011, 10:17:46 PM »
Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who was somewhat bored and frustrated by this game.  At least we can all get heckled by the loyalist brigade together.   ;)

The last time I played the game, I was doing my usual Zelda End Game routine where I go back and methodically make sure I have everything you can have to 100% the game, but I just don't feel the drive on this game.  I've gone back to playing the substantially less-stable but more fulfilling Skyrim.  I may save finishing Zelda until I've finished Skyrim and Xenoblade, and considering Zelda is my favorite Nintendo franchise that says something about the level of engagement this game offers.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: December 05, 2011, 12:05:26 AM »
I've put about 15 hours into this game, and up until now, I think it's been a great experience overall. However, it seems that I have yet to reach many of the areas where people have concerns (I'm only in the third dungeon). I'm really eager to see what comes next, and am hoping that I won't be disappointed. I suppose time will tell.

As far as having any issues with the game, nothing has really pushed me to the point of frustration. I thought the flight controls were terrible at first, but I picked them up rather quickly and haven't had a problem with the since. There have only been one or two instances where the calibration has been thrown off, and as far as any difficulty wielding the sword, my only problem has been the seemingly oversensitve nunchuk. It seems that the slightest movement of the nunchuk while targeting an enemy will cause Link to do his spin attack. It's only posed a significant problem while trying to stab enemies, however.

Other than those tiny gripes, I've been completely enthralled with the game so far. I just want to keep playing it. Hopefully, as I put more time into it, that won't change.

Offline yosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: December 05, 2011, 12:22:19 AM »
To all those who seem to be bored by the game just chug through it because the final 5 hours especially the ending outweigh all of that. I was in the same boat as you guys and then when I finally beat it it was like damn.

Also I thought the controls were excellent. Never had much of a prob except for the nunchuk shake to bring the shield up.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: December 05, 2011, 03:29:36 AM »
Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who was somewhat bored and frustrated by this game.  At least we can all get heckled by the loyalist brigade together.   ;)

Right, because there's no way somebody could like this game because they're actually enjoying it - everybody who says that must be blind and oblivious to the game in front of them...

If you didn't have fun, that's fine. It would be axiomatically impossible for me to tell you that you're wrong. Equally though, that doesn't mean that it's inconceivable that others could have fun with it. I'm into this series because of the puzzles, and I feel like Skyward Sword brought that aspect of the franchise to the forefront, with even sword fights feeling kind of like puzzles in themselves, so I had a really great time with the game. And apparently, we have higher tolerances for different things. From what I've read, you have an insane tolerance for grinding in traditional JRPGs, while with this game, it seems I am more okay with re-traversal. Different strokes for different folks.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: December 05, 2011, 03:38:47 AM »

I just finished the third Silent Realm...

... and I liked it.  I mean, if the whole game was just Silent Realm after Silent Realm, it'd be pretty lame... but as a mini-side quest which takes, what, ten minutes (if that)?  It's fun.  But then, I liked the similar aspect in Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks... and I think I was alone there.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: December 05, 2011, 03:45:13 AM »

Right, because there's no way somebody could like this game because they're actually enjoying it - everybody who says that must be blind and oblivious to the game in front of them...

If you didn't have fun, that's fine. It would be axiomatically impossible for me to tell you that you're wrong. Equally though, that doesn't mean that it's inconceivable that others could have fun with it. I'm into this series because of the puzzles, and I feel like Skyward Sword brought that aspect of the franchise to the forefront, with even sword fights feeling kind of like puzzles in themselves, so I had a really great time with the game. And apparently, we have higher tolerances for different things.

Dude, chill the **** out.  Do you not see the winking face icon there indicating I was joking, that you weren't meant to take that seriously?

From what I've read, you have an insane tolerance for grinding in traditional JRPGs, while with this game, it seems I am more okay with re-traversal. Different strokes for different folks.

Whaaaah?   :Q   Have you never read a single thing I've ever written in my impressions on JRPGs?  I complain about tedious grinding in JRPGs all the time.  I must have written at least a page of text about that on Resonance of Fate alone last year.  Part of my gushing over Xenoblade in that game's topic is that grinding and backtracking are two of the things made very quick and manageable.  I despise grinding, especially when it's mandatory.  I've made no secret of that.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:52:02 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: December 05, 2011, 04:12:07 AM »
Dude, chill the **** out.  Do you not see the winking face icon there indicating I was joking, that you weren't meant to take that seriously?

I'm sorry. It's difficult to interpret sarcasm when it's not being spoken out loud. I'm not a fan of zealotry of a games company, nor am I a fan of the other extreme. People need to be able to have civilised conversations. But I see now that you were joking.

Whaaaah?   :Q   Have you never read a single thing I've ever written in my impressions on JRPGs?  I complain about tedious grinding in JRPGs all the time.  I must have written at least a page of text about that on Resonance of Fate alone last year.  Part of my gushing over Xenoblade in that game's topic is that grinding and backtracking are two of the things made very quick and manageable.  I despise grinding, especially when it's mandatory.  I've made no secret of that.

Perhaps a misinterpretation on my part. I know you as somebody who collects Platinum trophies on PS3 games, and from what I've heard, you need to do some fairly egregious things to get a lot of those. As I recall, when you reviewed the aforementioned Resonance of Fate, even though you said you found it terribly dull, you said you had played it twice for trophies. I couldn't imagine how anybody could do that, unless they've got a ridiculous tolerance for grinding.

Regardless... let's get back on track. I'm always intrigued when people don't like games that I do like, and vice versa, so please continue.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: December 05, 2011, 06:09:28 AM »

If you didn't have fun, that's fine. It would be axiomatically impossible for me to tell you that you're wrong. Equally though, that doesn't mean that it's inconceivable that others could have fun with it. I'm into this series because of the puzzles, and I feel like Skyward Sword brought that aspect of the franchise to the forefront, with even sword fights feeling kind of like puzzles in themselves, so I had a really great time with the game. And apparently, we have higher tolerances for different things. From what I've read, you have an insane tolerance for grinding in traditional JRPGs, while with this game, it seems I am more okay with re-traversal. Different strokes for different folks.

I do like the puzzles in the game, I feel they are some of the better ones in the Zelda series. I'm also, as I've said before, a big fan of the controls. It is just that the issues I mentioned in my previous post are making it hard for me to go through the game. Will I finish the game? Yes, more then likely, I do like the story, and the game has some very good things going for it, I just wish the over use of assets and silent realm were not apart of the experience.

Who knows, maybe I'll get to a point where I will encounter a moment that will define the game for me in an extremely positive light like in Wind Waker When you first visit the castle Hyrule undersea, that was truly a great gaming moment but Wind Waker at least didn't have anything that made me want to stop playing, beyond the ridiculous scavenger hunt.

Regardless... let's get back on track. I'm always intrigued when people don't like games that I do like, and vice versa, so please continue.

With Twilight Princess being my favorite 3D Zelda, I know the feeling!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:21:13 AM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: December 05, 2011, 07:23:54 AM »
I find the Silent Realm that I've done fun.  I actually don't mind there inclusion.  I liked the time aspect and there forgiving enough.  Now I don't like the one Dungeon back tracking I've done so far.  Plus anything to do with the harp.  I rather it just be an item with a button like a remote to open things.  Thats what it amounts to.  I can't really play anything with it.  Thinking on it besides the Silent Realm and the Tree I really haven't like anything between the 3rd - 4th Dungeon.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: December 05, 2011, 10:54:04 AM »
Am I the only one that plays this standing up? Granted I haven't left Skyloft yet (atm, I'm trying to finish up Arkham City), but I can't help it. I have yet to have the controls **** up once.