Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 622997 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #1925 on: November 22, 2011, 06:30:17 PM »
I used mine on the Life Medal.  Didn't do what I wanted it to but, still handy.  Not sure what the Treasure one does.  I think I've gotten less Rupees since getting it...

The treasure medal increases the rate for monster bit/item drops ("treasure") that you can use to upgrade your weapons.

Mental note: I need to make it a priority to pick that thing up as soon as I have the funds for it, because the drop rate on those items is ridiculously low.  I had to grind just to get enough materials to upgrade my wooden shield, and it looks like now that was a waste of time because the Iron Shield is better anyway.
I wouldn't say that it was a waste of time. The Iron Shield does have a weakness to electricity so in that regard the wooden shield would be better.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: November 22, 2011, 06:58:57 PM »
I used mine on the Life Medal.  Didn't do what I wanted it to but, still handy.  Not sure what the Treasure one does.  I think I've gotten less Rupees since getting it...

The treasure medal increases the rate for monster bit/item drops ("treasure") that you can use to upgrade your weapons.

Mental note: I need to make it a priority to pick that thing up as soon as I have the funds for it, because the drop rate on those items is ridiculously low.  I had to grind just to get enough materials to upgrade my wooden shield, and it looks like now that was a waste of time because the Iron Shield is better anyway.
I wouldn't say that it was a waste of time. The Iron Shield does have a weakness to electricity so in that regard the wooden shield would be better.

Ah, good to know that wasn't just a throwaway line from the merchant.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: November 22, 2011, 07:12:40 PM »
I don't want to get into too many specifics on the third area, as not too many people here have reached that point yet, but what I will say is that the temple is quite astounding. The overarching mechanic of the area is extremely cool and it is so well implemented into the dungeon that it really shakes up the puzzle solving completely. This is also the area where enemies will start to punish you for poor sword play, so I was glad that I had a solid handle on motion plus by this point, otherwise I would have struggled to stay alive. I'm pretty sure the game will start to change up its focus now that I'm passed the stereotypical first section of a Zelda game (which normally comprises of the first three dungeons in the 3D games).

I couldn't agree more. I'm near enough exactly where you are, having conquered the third temple this morning. I'd say that the whole third area, not just the dungeon, features some of the smartest puzzle design I've seen in the entire Zelda series. As you said, I won't discuss specifics, because it's something that everybody deserves to discover on their own, but... wow. The signature mechanic is very original, and used in such clever ways.

While playing through this region, the game was hitting all the right notes for me. The setting was cool, the items new and interesting, the art style was at its pinnacle and the music changed constantly as the environment changed. I was on a real high after today's play session.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline silverwings01

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: November 22, 2011, 08:08:59 PM »

Not true. :)  There are areas later on where you'll want to have the Wooden Shield instead (least that's how I felt).

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1929 on: November 22, 2011, 09:08:08 PM »
Just finished up the 3rd area and got prepared for the 3rd dungeon. I decided to upgrade my wooden shield fully. I don't think there is going to be any fire enemies in the dungeon so I should be fine.

Oh how do you get the Treasure Medal to show up at Beedles? Do you have to buy the Life Medal?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline silverwings01

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: November 22, 2011, 09:47:57 PM »
Just finished up the 3rd area and got prepared for the 3rd dungeon. I decided to upgrade my wooden shield fully. I don't think there is going to be any fire enemies in the dungeon so I should be fine.

Oh how do you get the Treasure Medal to show up at Beedles? Do you have to buy the Life Medal?

That I don't know. I got mine from a Goddess Chest.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: November 22, 2011, 10:38:28 PM »
I'm taking a small break before entering the 2nd dungeon to do some backtracking, open some newly-unlocked Goddess chests, and see what secrets I can find using my new digging mitts in the Forest and Skyloft.

By the way, is it just me or are the mole/badger people in the Volcanic area the same ones from Oracle of Seasons (the ones who give you the magnet gloves)?  I could be mistaken, but I think that may very well be the first time Nintendo's officially referenced the Oracle games.

EDIT: I am getting really sick of Nintendo using dowsing as a crutch to artificially extend gameplay by having the player perform scavenger hunts.  It wouldn't even be so bad if the game wasn't constantly playing that ringing sound until you used it like the ASE in The Conduit.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 11:14:13 PM by broodwars »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: November 22, 2011, 11:30:42 PM »

Treasure is a Goddess cube reward and you have to buy the Lofe one from Beedle.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: November 23, 2011, 01:11:21 AM »
Well, the second boss was ridiculously easy compared to the first one.  It didn't follow the Nintendo Rule of Three, but it still had a pretty obvious pattern to it and the means to defeating it was obvious.  Still, it was a memorable fight the way the arena was laid out.  If there was a heart piece in that dungeon, though, like there was in the first dungeon, I missed it.  I can't think of where it could have been hiding, though.  The dungeon overall was pretty straightforward, though I had to consult the map at one point to find the way forward.

I also found the Treasure medal in a Goddess chest up in the Sky World, which has noticeably increased the number of drops I've found.  Useful.  It's a pity that you have so few slots for holding these items.

EDIT: Unfortunately, as much as I am enjoying this game, the sheer amount of redundant text you have to page through is ridiculous, even by Zelda standards.  EVERY time I grab a new inventory item on a fresh boot, up comes the informational text.  The same for rupees, shop keepers, etc.  It really gets annoying really quickly.  I'll never understand why Nintendo has made Zelda such a series based on puzzles, and yet continually treats the player like an idiot.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:22:56 AM by broodwars »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: November 23, 2011, 01:14:36 AM »
WOOT!!! JB HiFi are giving out the preorders a day early in Oz.  Going in to pick it up in half an hour. 

And I even have a free night tonight.  Awesomeness will ensue.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: November 23, 2011, 02:24:41 AM »
Those giant spiders SUCK. The flying scarab helps.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: November 23, 2011, 02:30:24 AM »
Anyone else finding the sky overworld to be lame and almost completely pointless?  It's so empty, with only a couple of islands you can actually interact with (so far).  Most of the floating landmasses are just giant boulders or hollow boulders you can zip through for extra speed.  Any islands worth exploring have Goddess Chests on them that you can't do anything with until you unlock them, and when you do that the game marks them on your map anyway.  So there's almost no point whatsoever in exploring the sky overworld, because there's nothing to find until the game gives you permission to do anything on those islands.

It's a real shame and a missed opportunity so far, because my first thought when I heard Nintendo was going to do this was Skies of Arcadia when you explored with your airship.  This is such a pale imitation of that so far.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: November 23, 2011, 09:17:46 AM »
I'm through the second dungeon.  I'm also part way through the next area but the most exciting thing is....
I collected my first Starbit!
Murry has gotten 2 upgrades and he's getting a third one tonight once I find what I believe will be 2 easy to find items.  I had to go back to the woods with him to get 2 of an item I needed to upgrade him.
My Wooden Shield.  Fully Upgraded. Beyond just being more durable as in a bigger meter I also think its taking less damage per hit.  I'm going to have to test that.
My Metal Shield. Will be Fully Upgraded once I get home and a few more Rupees.
Bought another Wallet upgrade taking me to 1,200 Rupee limit but considering Beedle has a 1,600 Rupee item I'm assuming there is another upgrade to get even though he's out stock on them...
Got another Adventure pack slot so now I can carry both my shields.

I plan on just messing around Skyloft trying to get Starbits tonight.  I've had some text from Skyloftians who indicate one of the islands I can get to might actually have something to do.  Also I think that there are at least 3 denizens of Skyloft cuter then Zelda.  Anyway Zelda keeps running away from me...

Also in the third area whats the point of Dowsing when its a linear path forward.  Click C to stop beeping run on.  I wish there was some more customization you could do to stop telling me about stuff I've picked up before.  Also to shorten shop Preamble.  My interface is in Pro that should cut the redundant text down.

While I'm ranting.  If you are going to put dowsing in the game why don't you let me dowse for specific bugs and Monster Parts?

Those giant spiders SUCK. The flying scarab helps.

Yes, Yes they do.  Still the hardest enemy I have encountered in the GAME so far.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:23:07 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1938 on: November 23, 2011, 09:43:45 AM »
Gonna start the 3rd dungeon in a little bit. Ceric; Beedle doesn't sell any more wallet upgrades but there is way to get bigger wallets. Getting the starbit er Graditude Crystals will upgrade your wallet if you get enough.I actually need to work on getting more of them. I think I only have 3 right now.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: November 23, 2011, 10:13:47 AM »
Gonna start the 3rd dungeon in a little bit. Ceric; Beedle doesn't sell any more wallet upgrades but there is way to get bigger wallets. Getting the starbit er Graditude Crystals will upgrade your wallet if you get enough.I actually need to work on getting more of them. I think I only have 3 right now.
That's what I'll probably do tonight since my Son is coming home.  Though my house is a wreck.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: November 23, 2011, 01:12:22 PM »
I realized how convenient everything is. Anyone who doesn't like switching items during actual game play is a looser!

That 3rd dungeon got me good a few times. Get through one door and another huge room was waiting over and over. Loved it! How awesome is it you don't walk into every room and instantly know what has to be done?

Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: November 23, 2011, 01:27:29 PM »
I don't think the switching bad until I accidentally bring up the b menu while using a bomb. ><  I wish I could switch between items using the left and righ d-pad buttons as well since there not used for anything.  Probably be for the instrument later.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: November 23, 2011, 01:34:17 PM »
My only problem with the item switching is that the while you use the B button to bring an item out, you don't also use that button to use the item like you did in Twilight Princess.  In fact, pressing B again just puts the item away.  I've had a lot of trouble getting used to using the A button to use items, but not using the A button to put them away and so on.  Other than that, that feature works fine.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1943 on: November 23, 2011, 01:36:26 PM »
I realized how convenient everything is. Anyone who doesn't like switching items during actual game play is a looser!

That 3rd dungeon got me good a few times. Get through one door and another huge room was waiting over and over. Loved it! How awesome is it you don't walk into every room and instantly know what has to be done?

I am having that feeling in the 3rd dungeon. I got the item in the dungeon and it i pretty fun to use to stun enemies but I am kinda stuck right now. There is 2 rooms right now that I am having trouble with.I also the music in the dungeon. Mainly the one where everything is not working.It is tense and could make you crazy if you listen to it and were actually stuck inside the dungeon in real life.

As for the item switching I don't mind it. Depending on if you tap the button or if you hold B will determine if you bring up your item pouch or bring out the item you have equiped.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: November 23, 2011, 01:44:10 PM »
Am I the only one who really wish they could have an item by now that would actually kill things at range effectively?  Maybe if I keep upgrading Murry...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: November 23, 2011, 01:45:24 PM »
Am I the only one who really wish they could have an item by now that would actually kill things at range effectively?  Maybe if I keep upgrading Murry...

Murry scoffs at your puny human efforts to handle such infantile foes!  Bwahahahahahah!  ;)

Wait...wrong Murray.   :cool;
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:47:23 PM by broodwars »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1946 on: November 23, 2011, 02:04:08 PM »
The beetle can be good for long range enemies but it kinda depends on what monster you are fighting.

Anyway I made it through one of the rooms but I am stuck in another room. I managed to get the map so that might help a little.Hmm I just checked my map and it solved the problem I had.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 02:06:50 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: November 23, 2011, 02:49:09 PM »
The sword robot's advice for fighting the big bad in the first temple made no sense. See which way his right hand is going and do the opposite? What?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: November 23, 2011, 02:55:15 PM »
The sword robot's advice for fighting the big bad in the first temple made no sense. See which way his right hand is going and do the opposite? What?

Upon reflection, that advice does make sense but it's worded badly.  In other words, if he raises his hand so to you its in the upper left in response to YOU moving your sword right, swing your sword around to the left and swipe right to hit his hand.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1949 on: November 23, 2011, 03:52:07 PM »
Just finished the 3rd dungeon. I also went around and got some Gratitude Crystals. I managed to get 30. So I have the Big Wallet.So by itself it can carry 1,000 rupies. I can carry 1,900 right now.I have 920 right now.

Gonna explore more of the skyword and see if I can get some things to upgrade the hook beetle.
Alexis, she/her/Miss