Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 623014 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: New Wii Zelda
« Reply #625 on: February 09, 2010, 11:43:47 PM »
I believe you may be right in terms of Nintendo fully embracing online without restrictions this decade, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I allow a LoZ MMO especially before Pokemon, a series that is begging for it, turns into one.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 10, 2010, 12:31:08 AM »
The new Zelda game may be the biggest project that Nintendo has taken on in its years of gaming. Much bigger than any game or console, including the wii itself. If not the biggesst, then certainly the most ambitious. This game may truly define what the wii is exactly trying to prove to the consumer and fans. Games released after this one will have to adapt to what ever standard that it sets in the gaming community. The PS3 and 360 motion controlled games may learn something as well. In a sense, the game may manifest a sense of universalism among the gaming communities.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 10, 2010, 12:33:06 AM »
That's exactly right. It seems out to prove everyone else wrong.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: February 10, 2010, 12:43:59 AM »
That's exactly right. It seems out to prove everyone else wrong.

What do you mean?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 10, 2010, 12:44:42 AM »
Zelda Wii will make you say "Natal/Arc what? Is that some kind of new weapon that Link gets to use?"

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #630 on: February 10, 2010, 12:49:22 AM »
The game will make us forget about Ocarina of Time. 

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: February 10, 2010, 01:59:05 AM »
As much as people love motion controls, it seems largely ignored by the "hardcore" community. I think this game is out to prove everyone wrong.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: February 10, 2010, 01:26:50 PM »
As much as people love motion controls, it seems largely ignored by the "hardcore" community. I think this game is out to prove everyone wrong.

Big words considering we know literally nothing about it.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: February 10, 2010, 02:12:04 PM »
We actually know a lot about it.

We know it's going to revolve around M+
We know it's going to be very different from previous Zelda's
We know it won't release until it is "Perfect"
We know it's been in development for over 4 years
We know it's going to be graphically superior to TP
We know it's going to control better than TP

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: February 10, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
We also know that the gaming media will find something wrong with it, no matter how great it is.

And the Zel-tards will find something to bitch about.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: February 10, 2010, 02:38:24 PM »
That's very true.

And I wonder if we can assume it's going to use "Super Guide" or whatever.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: February 10, 2010, 04:24:22 PM »
That's very true.

And I wonder if we can assume it's going to use "Super Guide" or whatever.

Perhaps, didn't the original Super Guide patents use "The Legend of OO" as an example of how the SG would work? It'd seem odd if Nintendo would patent the idea using something that not only sounds, but looks like, a Zelda title and not use it in one. NSMBW was like a watered down version of what the SG could be, considering the jump it would make moving from a side scrolling game ot a full 3D one.

I believe you may be right in terms of Nintendo fully embracing online without restrictions this decade, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I allow a LoZ MMO especially before Pokemon, a series that is begging for it, turns into one.

I on the other hand would NOT want to see a Zelda MMO. Maybe a spin-off or something, but they might as well create a new IP if they want to jump in to MMO territory... OH GOD I SOUND LIKE IAN!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: February 10, 2010, 04:46:01 PM »

I on the other hand would NOT want to see a Zelda MMO. Maybe a spin-off or something, but they might as well create a new IP if they want to jump in to MMO territory... OH GOD I SOUND LIKE IAN!
No, if they want to jump into MMO territory, they better start with Pokemon. The whole series from the beginning including the cartoons seems like it was unknowingly created with MMO in mind.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: February 10, 2010, 05:21:07 PM »

No, if they want to jump into MMO territory, they better start with Pokemon. The whole series from the beginning including the cartoons seems like it was unknowingly created with MMO in mind.

Actually thats true, I'm no longer a big pokemon fan so it's not in my head enough for me to have made this post. If Nintendo wants to make an MMO, they start with pokemon. If they want to make one (after a Pokemon MMO) that involves a fantasy land with swords and magic, etc, then they should create a new IP and just leave Zelda alone. Or just make a Fire Emblem one, I don't know much about the series but being a more typical RPG with multiple characters, it'd lend itself better to an MMO than Zelda, a solo experience, would.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: February 10, 2010, 06:42:01 PM »
I get this feeling that when people ask for an MMO they really don't know what the hell they're asking for.  It's like that's the in thing these days so I should take everything I like and instinctively add "MMO" to the end of it.  Yar's Revenge MMO!! YEAH!

MMO's suck nuts anyway.  To get the format to work with so many players the whole thing boils down to a time consuming grindfest.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #640 on: February 10, 2010, 06:55:40 PM »
But isn't that what Pokemon is?

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 10, 2010, 07:22:47 PM »
What would a Zelda MMO be like in terms of game play?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: February 10, 2010, 09:02:08 PM »

Actually thats true, I'm no longer a big pokemon fan so it's not in my head enough for me to have made this post. If Nintendo wants to make an MMO, they start with pokemon. If they want to make one (after a Pokemon MMO) that involves a fantasy land with swords and magic, etc, then they should create a new IP and just leave Zelda alone. Or just make a Fire Emblem one, I don't know much about the series but being a more typical RPG with multiple characters, it'd lend itself better to an MMO than Zelda, a solo experience, would.

I thought the use of "a cold day in hell" was pretty emphatic :)

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• Little Black Rain Cloud
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
    • moronsonofboron @ deviantART
« Reply #643 on: February 10, 2010, 09:18:42 PM »
 TLDR: There's no reason to play Pokemon online with other players outside of battles and trading. Same goes for most of Nintendo's other franchises, which focus on individual battles or game sessions, rather than persistent-world mechanics.

Pokemon isn't suitable for an MMO because there's no reason to play the main game with other players, on- or off-line. The only parts of Pokemon that support any online component are the battle mode and the Global Trade, which both make use of the internet to find suitable players. Otherwise, there's no point in walking around not!Japan while your buddy is on the other side of the in-game continent; what's to guarantee that you're playing in the same area and can progress together? The real multiplayer component of Pokemon comes from the metagame, the society and subculture it creates.

Mario and Zelda have both experimented with the multiplayer field: the most recent (and most successful) trek has been NSMBWii, which was more of a face-to-face thing, and before then there was the short-lived Four Swords franchise. In both of these cases, multiplayer was based on a cooperative/competitive mode of play, as opposed to the typical persistent-world approach for MMOs.

The only thing an online component would bring to Nintendo's multiplayer philosophy is player matchmaking, as they did with Pokemon's Global Trade System, SSBBrawl, and Mario Kart Wii, but it's general consensus Nintendo still lacks the serious technical chops to make synchronous online play feasible for most of their own games.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 09:46:56 PM by MoronSonOfBoron »
Eat lightning and crap thunder.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 10, 2010, 09:40:57 PM »
I know this topic isn't about Pokemon, but how is Pokemon not suitable to be an MMO?
you woander around and hunt pokemon, then endlessly grind your pokemon to level up and eventually evolve if you want then you take them to Dojo's where you battle against the established local talent for trophies then move on to the next area.

That is the practically the definition of MMO and would work perfectly as one if it was given the chance to. With a never ending amount of tournaments and always the need to protect your title, the constant introduction of new Pokemon and new areas in which to find them would be a non-stop revenue generating phenomenon. Not to mention special pokeballs or the need to get new pokeballs, and more starage space, and etc etc etc..... How could you think otherwise?
Or maybe it's just because I've never actually played a Pokemon game that I've got it all wrong, but I doubt it.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #645 on: February 10, 2010, 09:47:29 PM »

I thought the use of "a cold day in hell" was pretty emphatic :)

I was too lazy to go back to the previous page and quote the person you were commenting to :)

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• Little Black Rain Cloud
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
    • moronsonofboron @ deviantART
« Reply #646 on: February 10, 2010, 09:51:13 PM »
With a never ending amount of tournaments and always the need to protect your title, the constant introduction of new Pokemon and new areas in which to find them would be a non-stop revenue generating phenomenon. Not to mention special pokeballs or the need to get new pokeballs, and more starage space, and etc etc etc..... How could you think otherwise?
It already works like that.  :P:
Eat lightning and crap thunder.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #647 on: February 10, 2010, 09:53:36 PM »
The future of Pokemans is DLC.

EAT IT
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: February 10, 2010, 10:09:06 PM »
With a never ending amount of tournaments and always the need to protect your title, the constant introduction of new Pokemon and new areas in which to find them would be a non-stop revenue generating phenomenon. Not to mention special pokeballs or the need to get new pokeballs, and more starage space, and etc etc etc..... How could you think otherwise?

I know, now throw 10's to 100's of 1000's people all doing it together at the same time, double teaming new ennviromental or non-pokemon challenges from NPC Anti-Pokemon wanna be team rockets (or whoever everyone would go against) and the ability to watch and/or participate in giant Battle Arena battles for rare prizes, fame and pokemon. Sound like a recipe for MMO Platinum to me.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #649 on: February 10, 2010, 10:26:57 PM »

Not to mention viewing high ranking pokemon battles (live!?) and being able to bet money, or even pokemon, on the outcome. Sounds addictive..

I know, now throw 10's to 100's of 1000's people all doing it together at the same time, double teaming new ennviromental or non-pokemon challenges from NPC Anti-Pokemon wanna be team rockets (or whoever everyone would go against) and the ability to watch and/or participate in giant Battle Arena battles for rare prizes, fame and pokemon. Sound like a recipe for MMO Platinum to me.