Author Topic: What happened to the Kokiri?  (Read 14136 times)

Offline GeN

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
What happened to the Kokiri?
« on: April 15, 2003, 09:17:30 AM »
If I am not mistaken the Kokiri were the race of people that lived with the Great Deku Tree...right? In WW I also remember him saying something about a transformation of his people. Then I see the earth sage from WW, he was the Kokiri boy with the cello. So form what I gather all the Kokiri people turned to those little people that wear plants for masks in WW? Another question, was Link always from the Kokiri village in all the other Zeldas? or was it just for OOT and MM or was he even Kokiri in MM. Finally what happened to the Zoras, you know the water race from OOT? did they evolve into the Rito in WW?  Sorry if I sound like a newbie but I just forgot a lot of stuff since I was about 6 or 7 when I played the original Zeldas for NES and SNES (I'm 17 now). I just was wondering what happened to those people.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2003, 09:30:31 AM »
1) The Kokiri became the Koroks
2) Link has never been a Kokiri...only in OoT was he there because he was dropped off by his mother(he is Hylian)
3) Yep, the Zoras became the Rito(yet they get their wings from Valoo)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline GeN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2003, 10:54:47 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up for me, I was thinking about it last night and I had to ask someone else.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2003, 06:40:01 PM »
I know what happened.  The Kokiri never learned how to swim.

D'oh!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ridley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2003, 06:46:21 PM »
I'd say the kokiri were wiped out like the gorons and zoras. The koroks can't be the same because:

1. They'd be called kokiri.

2. TINY SPOILER (if it even qualifies as that, but better safe than sorry)

The Koroks leave the forest to plant trees. Kokiri cannot leave the forest or else they die.

END SPOILER

I'd guess that the koroks are more like descendants or something, but not the kokiri.
If the graphics are bad, I'll ignore them.
If the style's been used before, I won't care. I don't get sick of styles.
If the story is weak, I'll make up my own.
I only care about gameplay.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2003, 06:48:50 PM »
well as for the zora...the princess didnt mind interspecies relationships....perhaps the zoras are flourishing in the great abyss....seriouly they might just be in heaven...maybe ruto made it with some hylian and they became the ruto.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2003, 08:30:17 PM »
Umm, the Deku Tree himself said that the Koroks were once human and that they were scared of other people or something like that. Hmm, I wonder who that could be? Oh, I know, THE KOKIRIS.

The Gorons were not wiped out. Look at the traders that you find at a couple of the islands. Notice how they look a lot like the Gorons? That's because they are the Gorons only with shirts and hats to hide their identity. They even have the little Goron symbol on their packs from Ocarina.

The Rito are descendants of the Zora. Laruto says that Link must find someone from her BLOODLINE to replace her as sage. Guess who he finds. Medli who is a Rito. It's also stated in the game that at sometime long ago that Valoo the dragon changed them and gave them their wings.

Did you people even bother reading any of the text from Wind Waker? Appearently not because everything I listed above was stated plain as day in the game. Well, okay the thing about the Gorons wasn't made clear but it's not exactly that big of a leap to say that the traders are Gorons.  
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2003, 08:33:19 PM »
The Great Tree said that Korkros use to have human forms but adopted these forms.

The Rito are basically what the Zora turned into (its a reference to evolution.)

And the gorons surprisingly enough are still around. The traveling merchants in the sub-quest are all gorons.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2003, 08:45:45 PM »
zoras are in later games...so i assume that they live at the bottom of the sea...however the rito are probably part zora.......and decended from ruto...the sailor says that if you find a shadow underwater you could be dragged down by fish people. So they are there...just not seen.

so the zoras i beleive split on the evolutionary line.

Offline Ridley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2003, 08:48:38 PM »
"Umm, the Deku Tree himself said that the Koroks were once human and that they were scared of other people or something like that. Hmm, I wonder who that could be? Oh, I know, THE KOKIRIS."

Then why aren't the koroks called kokiri and why could they leave the forest? If they were kokiri, they would die.

"The Rito are descendants of the Zora. Laruto says that Link must find someone from her BLOODLINE to replace her as sage. Guess who he finds. Medli who is a Rito. It's also stated in the game that at sometime long ago that Valoo the dragon changed them and gave them their wings."

Then why can't the koroks be descendants of the kokiri?

"Did you people even bother reading any of the text from Wind Waker? Appearently not because everything I listed above was stated plain as day in the game. Well, okay the thing about the Gorons wasn't made clear but it's not exactly that big of a leap to say that the traders are Gorons."

I not only read it, I ALSO paid attention to the stuff in OoT AND pieced everything together. So don't be accusing people of not reading when they have different conclusions than you.

"The Gorons were not wiped out. Look at the traders that you find at a couple of the islands. Notice how they look a lot like the Gorons? That's because they are the Gorons only with shirts and hats to hide their identity. They even have the little Goron symbol on their packs from Ocarina."

I still stand by gorons being wiped out until I see some real evidence.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2003, 09:15:50 PM »

Originally posted by: Ridley
"Umm, the Deku Tree himself said that the Koroks were once human and that they were scared of other people or something like that. Hmm, I wonder who that could be? Oh, I know, THE KOKIRIS."

Then why aren't the koroks called kokiri and why could they leave the forest? If they were kokiri, they would die.

"The Rito are descendants of the Zora. Laruto says that Link must find someone from her BLOODLINE to replace her as sage. Guess who he finds. Medli who is a Rito. It's also stated in the game that at sometime long ago that Valoo the dragon changed them and gave them their wings."

Then why can't the koroks be descendants of the kokiri?
I don't remember exactly but when the Deku Tree was talking about how the Koroks were once human  he said that he changed them into their present form. Also you didn't say anything about the Koroks being descendants in your first post. You simply said they had been wiped out and that weren't the same. Of course they aren't exactly the same since you are being so technical. The Kokiri have a human form and the Koroks have a tree like form. At some point the Deku Tree simply turned the Kokiri into the Koroks much like Valoo changed the Rito and started giving them wings. Along with this transformation they were obviously given the ability to leave the forest. Nuff said.

Originally posted by: Ridley
"The Gorons were not wiped out. Look at the traders that you find at a couple of the islands. Notice how they look a lot like the Gorons? That's because they are the Gorons only with shirts and hats to hide their identity. They even have the little Goron symbol on their packs from Ocarina."

I still stand by gorons being wiped out until I see some real evidence.
So I suppose if you see a dog you have to have some proof beyond the visual that it's a dog. Come on. They look exactly like the Gorons. They're big like the Gorons, the same color, and even have the little white goatee like the Gorons. Also the little symbol circling around the traders pack is the exact same symbol as the Gorons used on their banners and as tattoos on their arms. Is that enough proof for you?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2003, 07:36:08 AM »
Maybe the Gorons are hiding from persecution from the Rito tribe who kicked them out of the only mountainous island they could live in.

Social unrest.

Dark times indeed.

What's even darker was when I stole the traveling Goron's inn reservation in Majora's Mask and forced him to sleep outside.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2003, 07:50:45 AM »
Ha ha, time to add my incitement to flame.

I don't think the traders look like the Gorons at all.  They look like Giant Bunnies.  Really: they wear hats to hide their ears, they have buck teeth and if I remember correctly, little red noses.  And look at the totem poles inside Dragon Roost...they have Goron-like (and definitely not Zora-like) creatures with birds on top of them.  The Rito also have Gerudo-like names and similar skin tones to the Gerudos...in fact they look a lot more like Gerudos than Zoras.  Also note that the theme song for Dragon Roost is reminiscent of the theme for Gerudo valleyt.  The blood-line thing is definitely persuasive, and I would tend to agree with it, but I think there are more questions than answers here.

Frankly I believe Nintendo made the exact origin of the Rito unclear on purpose.  So everyone would try to figure it out, like we are now.  I have my own guesses, but I won't bother expounding them here, because they are just that, guesses.  I just wanted to point out that an absolute conclusion is difficult to make by bringing up a bunch of contradictory evidence.  
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2003, 08:04:09 AM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
I just wanted to point out that an absolute conclusion is difficult to make by bringing up a bunch of contradictory evidence.
Yeah, it is when you bring up retarded contradictory evidence that doesn't even actually exist. So point taken very well.

Offline Ridley

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2003, 03:26:18 PM »
"Also you didn't say anything about the Koroks being descendants in your first post."

Yes I did. Read my first post again and this time read it all. I say so on the last line.

"You simply said they had been wiped out and that weren't the same"

Then let me clarify. The kokiri are gone. Now it's the koroks. Just like how the Zoras are gone and now its the Rito.

"Along with this transformation they were obviously given the ability to leave the forest. Nuff said."

If it was that simple, don't you think the kokiri would've had that ability before?

"So I suppose if you see a dog you have to have some proof beyond the visual that it's a dog"

No need to be mad just because I'm not as easily convinced as you are. I have discovered that the traders are gorons, but not because of your so-called "proof". I got their figurines in the Nintendo Gallery. It said their favourite food was rocks, like gorons, and their birthplace was unknown. Since they came from Death Mountain and it's probably become Dragon Roost (that other volcano is way too narrow), it would be unknown. That's the kind of evidence I look for. Not, they look similar.

Now, I want to know why you're so offended by my theory. It's just as valid as yours. You don't know anymore than I do, you just have a different conclusion about what happened. Maybe you forgot, but the starter of this thread wanted to know what happened to the kokiri. I gave my theory on it. I didn't claim that anyone else was wrong. I didn't claim to be right. I just stated what I figured. And then you seemed to get all offended and started trying make me change my mind. What was so offensive about my theory that you had to do this? Why couldn't you just accept mine is just as valid as yours?

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2003, 04:19:11 PM »
Got my flames!  I feel all squishy inside.

***Spoilers, although it's nothing that hasn't been discussed in here already...***

On further play, I must admit, the traders are likely the Gorons.  Their lips and beards looked exactly like big noses and rabbit teeth to me, but on closer inspection they look exactly like Gorons.

But I stand by my "retarded" contradictory evidence.  I still believe that the Gerudos may have a hand in the Rito bloodline, and I still believe Nintendo purposely included evidence to that effect.   The Koroks are clearly direct descendants of the Kokiri and nobody else, the Deku Tree essentially tells us so.  However, the only evidence that the Rito are derived from Zoras is that Medli is part of the Zora bloodline, and I don't believe any other evidence was given.  This means that the Rito are almost certainly descendants of the Zoras, but it doesn't preclude them being descendants of the Gerudos as well.  On the contrary, I think Nintendo purposely included evidence pointing to the Gerudos.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2003, 06:14:25 PM »
ok
jabun= Jabu jabu
Valoo= Valvagia....or a relative
koroks = kokiri
traders = gorons...enormous guys with all the right characteristics and symbols....im going to pull out a hammer and see what one says.....
Rito= Ruto decendants.....

perhaps on the next game theyll have the remainingf sages.....they only had two of six.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2003, 06:27:39 PM »
And the fish people that pull you under are more than likely the Manfish, they are the ones that update your chart, there is only one or two references to their name in the game. These may also be the offspring of the zora.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2003, 06:36:54 PM »
Why wasn't my proof as valid as yours Ridley? The description for the figurine says that the traders like to eat rocks yet that is some how more valid as proof than the fact that the symbol the Gorons used in Ocarina is all around the traders packs. It's the exact same kind of proof. Gorons and traders like to eat rocks. Gorons and traders like to use the same symbol. How is it that one of those is more valid than the other? Not to mention the simple fact that they look exactly like the Gorons from Ocarina. When I played Majora's Mask and saw a Goron in the game I didn't say to myself, "Gee, I need some more proof that those are Gorons". As a matter of fact a person could technically still argue that the traders aren't Gorons despite what the figurine description says much like the way you argued with my proof.

I apologize for coming off a tad hostile but it really irritates me that when the game pretty much clearly states what happened to the Kokiri and Zora you have people coming up with there own theories as if though the game never mentioned anything about it.

My "retarded" remark was to this couchmonkey:

They look like Giant Bunnies. Really: they wear hats to hide their ears, they have buck teeth and if I remember correctly, little red noses.
I'm pretty sure you were joking there because you can't see the traders teeth or nose. I went and checked. My point was is that you can makeup "counter evidence" all the live long day but it doesn't stop you from making absolute conclusions unless it based on actual fact.  

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2003, 06:40:22 PM »
mayeb he was thinking about different merchants in the game and not the gorons...

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2003, 07:11:26 AM »
No, I swear, I thought the Gorons were rabbits!  Their beards look like buck teeth and from the front, their lips look like big red noses.

For everyone's viewing pleasure, I direct you to this 10-second illustration: This is what my twisted mind saw when I ran into the traders.  Red lines indicate the body, black lines indicate the clothing.

Offline AquaVDevin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2003, 11:42:32 AM »
What about the Zoras?/// If i remember correctly in Majora's Mask they lived near "Great" Bay and in Wind Waker you are traveling on the "Great" Sea.  So I'm wondering what happened to the Zoras are they still alive but too far off to reach or what ya know.
The classics are the games of tomorrow!

Offline Ridley

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2003, 11:57:16 AM »
"Why wasn't my proof as valid as yours Ridley? The description for the figurine says that the traders like to eat rocks yet that is some how more valid as proof than the fact that the symbol the Gorons used in Ocarina is all around the traders packs. It's the exact same kind of proof."

Oh get over it. I don't consider it the same, but that's me. I've explained that I don't consider a similar appearance to be good enough. You don't like it? Tough.

"As a matter of fact a person could technically still argue that the traders aren't Gorons despite what the figurine description says much like the way you argued with my proof."

I know that, but after what I found, I believe they are gorons, but that's me. Someone doesn't want to believe that, it's their right, and I'll let them believe it.

"it really irritates me that when the game pretty much clearly states what happened to the Kokiri and Zora you have people coming up with there own theories as if though the game never mentioned anything about it."

Well, get over it. Not everyone in the world has to agree with you. I at first thought the koroks and the kokiri were the same, but then I found the inconsistencies I mentioned several times. That caused be reject it and come up with my own theory. Maybe you could try being a little more open-minded to other people's theories instead of forcing them to think what you want.

Offline Chipopo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2003, 08:23:16 AM »

From Ridley's Signature

With your lackluster posting ability and complete failure to grasp simple logic, I find it doubtful that you could come up with a narrative more compelling then that of a videogames.  Unless you're talking about Pong or something.  In which case I still remain doubtful.
It's hard to be religious when certain individuals aren't incinerated by bolts of lightning.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2003, 01:52:04 PM »
The kokiris became koroks, methinks, but the rito thing makes little sense.  They could have been zoras, but wouldn't it make sense for them to stay zoras, since the world flooded?  I mean, lots of water, right?  More like devolution.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>