Author Topic: Wii Survival Horror Franchises  (Read 26170 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Wii Survival Horror Franchises
« on: April 10, 2009, 04:18:30 PM »
This is the state of the wii survival horror union, and we report the state of the union to be strong!

Survival Horror is a genre that first rose to popularity in the mid 90's, primarily on the PS1. Hallmark gameplay attributes of the survival horror genre include: overwhelming enemies, limited weaponry/ammunition, resource managment, isolation, puzzle solving, and fixed camera angles. Some attributes have fallen by the wayside as the genre has evolved.

There are many survival horror game series; let's see how they are doing on the Wii.

Alone in the Dark
Starting on the PC in 1992, this series is considered by many to be the first survival horror game. Alone in the Dark (2008) is an ambitious series reboot from Atari. It came to all major platforms and is generally considered BAD.

On Wii The 360/PS3 version of Alone in the dark is bad, but the Wii version is TERRIBLE. Muddy graphics, clunky controls, inconsistent environment.

Resident Evil
The franchise that coined the term "survival horror" It is considered the biggest series in the genre. In the current generation, the series has largely abandoned the its survival horror roots to become more action oriented. Resident Evil 5 has more in common with gears of War than other titles in the series.

On Wii RE4 Was ported to the Wii and most call it the definitive version. A new sub series has also originated on the Wii, a rail shooter that goes by the name Chronicles. The first game, Umbrella Chronicles was a retelling of RE0 RE1 RE3 and a new chapter. A sequel has been announced called The Dark Chronicles which will be a retelling of RE2 (some say it will also include RE:Code Veronica and RE4 in its retelling) Resident Evil 5 currently has no announced Wii version, but many hold out hope of a port.

Fatal Frame
Starting on the PS2 in 2001, this is a critically acclaimed Tecmo series focusing on Japanese folklore. The latest game is Fatal Frame 4 developed by Tecmo, Grasshopper Studios (home of Suda51) and Nintendo

On Wii This game has been out for several months in Japan but currently has no plans to come to the US or Europe. There is much confusion and nerd rage over this. Will we ever get to play the game? Nobody seems to know.

Obscure
A small franchise by Dreamcatcher, the first Obscure game was released for the PS2 and Xbox in 2004.

On Wii The second title, Obscure: The Aftermath was released on Wii. It's definitely a B-grade game, and although it has its share of problems the game is still fun.

Dead Space
The new kid on the survival horror block, Dead Space debuted on the 360 in 2008. It boasts RE4 style gameplay and a sci-fi twist on survival horror.

On Wii EA announced that Dead Space was coming to the Wii and everyone was happy. Then EA said it was a rail shooter and everyone was mad. Dead Space: Extraction is a prequel, a "guided first person experience" and promises to be more than just a rail shooter. We will see.

Silent Hill
The second most notable survival horror series, it is known for having a psychological edge. It has recently suffered from weak spinoff titles. Fan favorite Pyramid Head first shows up in the second game.

On Wii A "reimagination" of the first game is on its way to the Wii (plus the PSP and PS2). The first details have just emerged and we are hyped. It looks pretty and the game sounds intriguing.

So there we have the established survival horror games on the Wii. Check back for part two with details of new horror titles launching on the Wii like Cursed Mountain and Winter.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Wii Survival Horror Franchises
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 04:24:33 PM »
everyone was mad

Speak for yourself.  :P
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 04:29:52 PM »
I thought NOE was publishing Fatal Frame in Europe? Did I hear wrong or make up a false memory?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 04:34:43 PM »
BNM there is lots of confusion regarding that. NOE says that they were then recently they said that they were not.On top of that lots of European retailers have the game listed for release.It is a confusing mess.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 04:35:46 PM »
Good poast.

Last-second wisdom:
"Below the navel there is neither religion nor truth." -- Italian proverb
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 06:58:44 PM »
The only major franchise the Wii is missing is Clock Tower.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 07:41:29 PM »
The only major franchise the Wii is missing is Clock Tower.

I was just thinking of that game. Didn't one of those games include the use of a camera as well or did I mix that up with Fatal Frame? I remember one game had two sisters trying to stay alive.

I do have an interesting prediction/thought, the new section from Umbrella Chronicles could possibly be turned into a new RE game on Wii. I would like to see that.

Good summaries, ShyGuy. You should also include rumored/desired games in the next one you do. I know IGN has listed a rumored Wii game from Silicone Knights that is a "Psychological Thriller" game (I really hope it is Eternal Darkness 2). Plus there is the EA/Suda51 horror game that is planned.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 07:43:54 PM »
Looks like Sillent Hill: SM is what a new Clock Tower would be like with the no fighting element, with its focus being on escaping and evading enemies.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 08:53:41 PM »
its good to see such a move to wii
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 10:27:55 PM »
I know IGN has listed a rumored Wii game from Silicone Knights that is a "Psychological Thriller" game (I really hope it is Eternal Darkness 2). Plus there is the EA/Suda51 horror game that is planned.
Did you update the rumor thread with that game?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 10:37:36 PM »
I didn't know so many survival horror games had come to Wii. I'm not really interested in that type of game myself but it can never hurt to have such diversity available if I ever decide to branch out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 10:47:29 PM »
ShyGuy, you think you can do one of these for other genres too?

maybe with links to official reviews & gameplay videos too?

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 12:49:27 AM »
I think ShyGuy did it for first-person games and adventure games on the DS.

By the way, what about Cursed Mountain?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 12:59:04 AM »
I think ShyGuy did it for first-person games and adventure games on the DS.

By the way, what about Cursed Mountain?

From Shyguy:

Check back for part two with details of new horror titles launching on the Wii like Cursed Mountain and Winter.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 01:44:15 AM »
ShyGuy, you think you can do one of these for other genres too?

maybe with links to official reviews & gameplay videos too?

Thanks BnM here, are the links to my DS adventure games post https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=21889.0

and my Wii FPS post (with Karion's help)
https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=22197.0

I will be making my post about the four new survival horror Wii games soon.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 02:21:10 AM »
I thought there were more than four.

Cursed Mountain, Winter, 'Feel', Silicone Knight's 'Psychological Thriller' and the EA/Suda 51/Kojima title.

Also what of the episodic WiiWare game where you are on an airplane with zombies called Last Flight?

Or are you not dealing with the mystery/rumor titles? I'm excited to see what you write.
My Game Collection

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 02:28:14 AM »
Stratos there are a few more. The Calling. We have a topic on it but it hasn't been updated in a while.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 03:30:05 AM »
Part Two: Original IP

Escape from Bug Island
The first survival horror came on the Wii. Giants bugs are trying to eat characters from the Dreamcast. I've always been scared to play this game, but I hear Golden Phoenix is a big fan.

When It's been out since near launch. You can find it in bargain bins everywhere.

Cursed Mountain
An interesting new twist on Survival Horror, Cursed Mountain has new place for a game, scaling a mountain in the Himalayas. This title boasts a new game engine and is being developed by Sproing Interactive and Deep Silver/

When 2009

Winter
Remember Geist? It was an underrated FPS game from N-space last generation on the Gamecube. N-space has kept busy with a new survival horror game called Winter. Problem is, the don't have a publisher and it is effectly canceled. However, they recently finished demo 2.0 (with motion plus) and are shopping it around. Cross your fingers!

When Don't hold your breath

Feel
This one kind of came out of nowhere. The director of Ju-on aka The Grudge is working on a horror title based on his films. Remember that kid who made cat sounds? that was creepy.

When Summer 2009 in Japan, don't know if/when anywhere else

The Calling Little is known about this survival horror game. It was first made public by a leak a t a PR firm. It's Japanese, you can interact with the enviroment quite a bit, and it's scary. What else do we need to know?

When I have no idea.

Now, there are other potential survival horror games coming to the Wii, but I stuck with the ones that are far enough along that we have seen media for them.

As Stratos mentioned, Silicon Knights has been rumored to have a possible survival horror game for the Wii (Eternal Darkness 2?)

And who can forget Sadness, one of the first games announced for the Wii, but at this point it is largely considered vaporware.

There are other "survival horror" titles on the Wii, but I disqualified them from the main list

Capcom has re-released Resident Evil 4, plus Resident Evil Remake and Resident Evil Zero all for the Wii. We have seen these all in the previous generation.

Some May call Manhunt 2 a survival horror game, but I classify the first Manhunt as a stealth game more than anything. Anyone disagree?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 02:02:19 AM by ShyGuy »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 04:08:45 AM »
Don't forget our one and only WiiWare survival horror type game! I'll post about that one for you.

Last Flight

Last Flight is being called a 'slasher' game similar to Devil May Cry's gameplay according to the developer, BlooberTeam. The premise begins with your character, Larry, a well rounded man with a tacky yellow shirt on a flight to Europe with plans to write a book. A woman named Anna who is sitting next to him is returning to her homeland to bury her 'deceased' father. During the flight some air turbulence disturbs the coffin her father rests in and he turns out to be a vampire that has been awakened. He starts attacking the passengers and turning them into vampires. You must try and survive the flight.

The game is planned as an episodic gaming experience broken up into four episodes over the WiiWare service. It will be cel-shaded and include a rather large amount of gore compared to your typical WiiWare fare. The story will be conveyed through comic strip like panels containing a good deal of black humor. The combat system will be gesture based and include an intuitive combo system. The game will also call up elements of classic point and click adventure games using the Wiimote. You can play as either Larry or the whip wielding Anna as you try to put down all the vampires. There will also be an alliance system where you can convince other passengers to work together with you.

The game will be a single player endeavor and is planned for release later this year with subsequent episodes coming 3-4 months apart from each other. I'm intrigued by it and wonder how they intend to get this on WiiWare. They sound willing to make it a disc based game if Nintendo balks at the idea of a bloody game appearing on their service so it is nice to know they intend to see it released one way or another.

My Game Collection

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 04:28:05 AM »
Wii looks to be king of Survival Horror and 2D gaming.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 10:33:07 AM »
Yeah, I've noticed the mass of survival horror games before, even before SH and Feel were announced.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 12:49:11 PM »
I'm confused why Umbrella Chronicles was included in the list without The House of the Dead: Overkill (the only real mechanism for survival in both games is pressing B).

I think we're also missing ESCAPE FROM BUG ISLAND.  There is no authorization to exclude this.

Someone should investigate if Feel and The Calling are actually the same game.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 12:51:48 PM by NinGurl69 *huggles »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 02:42:04 PM »
HOLY CRAP I FORGOT BUG ISLAND

Also, REUC was grandfathered in under Resident Evil's standing in the survival horror community

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 03:21:51 PM »
ok

• HI I'M CRAZY