Poll

Which game should we all play together for the next edition of RetroActive on RFN?

Ninja Spirit (TG-16)
7 (14.3%)
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (SNES)
13 (26.5%)
Drill Dozer (GBA)*
8 (16.3%)
Wave Race 64 (N64)
9 (18.4%)
Cho Aniki (TurboCD)
12 (24.5%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Voting closed: April 16, 2009, 04:30:23 PM

Author Topic: RetroActive Poll #5 - Remix Edition!!!  (Read 27368 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: RetroActive Poll #5 - Remix Edition!!!
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2009, 05:08:10 PM »
Damn, Super Ghouls 'n Ghost won. I probably won't be joining in then. I don't feel like paying $8 for a game that I won't enjoy because the developer made it overly difficulty just for the sake of being difficulty and ruins the fun.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
Well, I'm happy.  ;D  At least the system isn't totally broke.  Hopefully there are at least 12 others out there who share my joy.

I'll download the game tonight or tomorrow.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2009, 05:31:47 PM »
I'm interested to see how they stretch discussion past one show. I may just skip over that segment. Though I'm not going to whine about the system being broke because I don't care for the game. I'll at least respect all but one of the voters regarding the game because that particular person doesn't appear to respect others in previous rounds.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 05:50:50 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2009, 05:43:02 PM »
Looks like Super Ghouls is going to win.  Just how hard is it?  I remember renting it in 5th grade and liking it, but its been a long time.  I haven't actually played any of the games in prep for the show, and I may play this one if it wins.  Has anyone beat it recently?
Seriously though, playing through this in just 1 week? It must've taken me about 2 months to fully complete (to be fair most of it was that bloody boss - the final boss was peanuts compared to him) and I was on the lowest difficulty!

Oh shnap, two months!  I don't know if I can make that commitment!  I'm going to watch a few videos of it on the tube to see if I get coaxed into buying it.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2009, 05:48:11 PM »
The later levels are ok, the boss fights aren't super creative but they are fun. It is just the artificial way they extended the game, it was NOT necessary and killed any incentive I had to beat it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2009, 06:42:18 PM »
The later levels are ok, the boss fights aren't super creative but they are fun. It is just the artificial way they extended the game, it was NOT necessary and killed any incentive I had to beat it.

you and me both sister. I do wish the gold armor was easier to get that really helped make the game bearable.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2009, 07:33:27 PM »
Looks like Super Ghouls is going to win.  Just how hard is it?  I remember renting it in 5th grade and liking it, but its been a long time.  I haven't actually played any of the games in prep for the show, and I may play this one if it wins.  Has anyone beat it recently?

Here's the first video I found on YouTube.  Doesn't look that bad.  ;)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2009, 08:23:08 PM »
OH OH OHHHHHHHHHHH.

FINALLY!

Also it's not hard. At all.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2009, 08:33:39 PM »
Well, I'm happy.  ;D  At least the system isn't totally broke. 

I wasn't aware the system was broken before.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2009, 10:56:05 PM »
What you're not aware of could fill the Colosseum.  ;)

Offline Snipper64

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2009, 11:04:14 PM »
Cho Aniki has already been discussed to death.  A vote for Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is a vote for progress.

Noo! Cho aniki is losing! As for what you said, greg did talk about it on the podcast, but it was meant as a quick joke, and only he scratched the surface. I think everyone should have a chance to play it, I hear it is a really good shooter, but a unque one :D
I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

VOTE FOR CHOANIKI! you know you want too...

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2009, 03:52:28 AM »
I'm interested to see how they stretch discussion past one show.

I seriously doubt that we will.  I chose all five of these nominees in part due to the brevity of the potential discussion.

This seems to be the most highly participated poll yet; I hope the play-along itself will be equally popular.  I voted for Ninja Spirit, but at least now we'll get SGnG out of the way.  It feels almost like a relief to just get it over with.  On the downside, it's one of the two games I didn't already own, so now I have to shell out eight bucks.  (But I don't have Ninja Spirit either, so obviously that wasn't a factor in my vote.)

Can't say I appreciate vudu's conduct or attitude in this or any of the RetroActive rounds so far.  Beatings will continue until morale improves.  I will most likely set the next poll so that results cannot be viewed until the voting period ends.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2009, 08:58:20 AM »
I actually have the SNES cartridge for this.  I'll give it an hour.  I've played a *lot* of the NES one (I had it when I was a kid) but I've never really given the SNES game much attention.  Probably because it's incredibly frustrating.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2009, 09:45:31 AM »

Here's the first video I found on YouTube.  Doesn't look that bad.  ;)

Hmm, looks slower than I remember.  And man, what's with getting stripped down to your briefs while you're fighting the monsters.  If that isn't survival horror I don't know what is.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2009, 11:30:56 AM »
Cho Aniki has already been discussed to death.  A vote for Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is a vote for progress.

Noo! Cho aniki is losing! As for what you said, greg did talk about it on the podcast, but it was meant as a quick joke, and only he scratched the surface. I think everyone should have a chance to play it, I hear it is a really good shooter, but a unque one :D

I have played it, and it's just a joke.  It's not a very good shooter at all.  I recall vudu calling it mediocre.  That's higher praise than it deserves.  It's worth a look for the spectacle, sure.  You don't see this much concentrated Japanese weirdness just anywhere, but that's all it's good for.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2009, 02:21:54 PM »
Can't say I appreciate vudu's conduct or attitude in this or any of the RetroActive rounds so far.  Beatings will continue until morale improves.

Sorry!  Just trying to be funny.  I'm really not as much of a jerk as I sometimes make myself out to be.  :)

And hey!  I participated in the Secret of Mana discussion (even if I fought against the game with all my might during the voting process).

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2009, 05:49:09 PM »
I might not be able to participate in this discussion due to monetary issues. If I find enough change in my pockets and couch cushions to buy it then I'll join in.

I am bummed at how Vudu was a turn coat. I thought you were on the Ninja's side!

Though if we can't watch the polls in the future I will be very sad indeed.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2009, 07:26:32 PM »
Though if we can't watch the polls in the future I will be very sad indeed.

Same here.  Considering football doesn't start for another few months, there's just not much else to cheer for.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2009, 07:41:47 PM »
I am bummed at how Vudu was a turn coat. I thought you were on the Ninja's side!

What do you mean?  Ninja Spirit wasn't going to win.  I saved everyone from playing a less-than-stellar shooter.  (With the countless shooters available on VC there's no excuse for playing a bad one.)

Offline adadad

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2009, 08:27:03 PM »

I have played it, and it's just a joke.  It's not a very good shooter at all.  I recall vudu calling it mediocre.  That's higher praise than it deserves.  It's worth a look for the spectacle, sure.  You don't see this much concentrated Japanese weirdness just anywhere, but that's all it's good for.

Couldn't disagree with you more! Anyway maybe it's just me but I think it's a shame Aniki didn't win if only because it seems to be pretty divisive and who wouldn't want to hear a heated argument between say, James and Greg about its quality? Ah well, I'll be joining in with Super Ghouls and Ghosts regardless, it's good stuff and I bought it on VC months ago. Been watching a speed run of the game on Youtube, makes it look easy!

By the way can anyone confirm; if, the first time through the game you get the bracelet and finish the last but one boss with it, will it let you through to the final one or do you get sent back anyway? I know second time round if you do it without the bracelet it sends you back, but only to the start of the 7th stage. I can imagine some lucky sod out there somewhere on their first ever playthrough completing it first go and being completely ignorant of the whole 'whoops back to the start' thing.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2009, 11:53:36 AM »
I downloaded Super Ghouls 'N' Ghosts last night.  The game is fantastic.

So far I'm up to the third level.  This is honestly the most fun I've had with a video game in a long time (probably since Mario Galaxy).

Can someone create the discussion thread so we can talk about this game?

Offline adadad

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2009, 12:08:53 PM »

Seriously though, playing through this in just 1 week? It must've taken me about 2 months to fully complete (to be fair most of it was that bloody boss - the final boss was peanuts compared to him) and I was on the lowest difficulty!

Ok I officially retract that statement; I just played through it to the end in one sitting and according to my play history it took 1hr 44mins including the credits etc., so maybe 2 months was both an exaggeration and just because I was pretty **** at it.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2009, 01:46:27 PM »
What you're not aware of could fill the Colosseum.  ;)

Ouch. That's mighty harsh.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2009, 01:51:26 PM »
But ... but ... the wink!!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2009, 06:24:21 PM »
But ... but ... the wink!!

You needed more than one wink. Tisk tisk, vudu!

I'm suddenly reminded of the N64 game 40 Winks.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast