Author Topic: I hate iTunes  (Read 14216 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
I hate iTunes
« on: March 26, 2009, 09:52:04 PM »
I recently inherited a used, first gen, 2 GB Nano.  I've never used iTunes before and I've quickly come to the realization that  it is the worst program ever.  There are so many retarded "features" it's unbelievable.  (I'm absolutely dumbfounded that the only way to switch libraries is to hold down the shift key when opening iTunes.)

Anyway, I have a problem.

I loaded an RFN podcast onto my iPod but it doesn't appear when I view the contents through iTunes.  (It's on the iPod and it plays just fine through the unit.)  When I select the device from the menu it shows that an audio file is on there, as evident by the capacity bar at the bottom of the following picture.

However, when I select the music tab, it's empty.

What the heck?  How do I get this cursed file off my iPod?!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: I hate iTunes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:33:22 PM »
no idea cuz i don't listen to podcast (any, not just RFN) but i completely agree that itunes is the worst program ever.

one of the reasons i've been absent from the forums is i've been going on a crazy downloading spree of new music and i'm so fucking OCD about putting music on it that everything has to be a certain way. i have all my albums listed chronologically and i fix compilations so that they don't go in as compilations because i hate scrolling thru ipods and seeing "ooh, artist X! i love them!" then you open it and its one song.. and the only reason they had it on there was cuz it was the Y soundtrack.. blah!

anywho, imagine having 8000+ songs (and a few movies and episodes of south park) on there customized to my liking and CONSTANTLY having itunes not open with the message "itunes library xxx could not be opened. It appears xxx is not a valid itunes library. Saved copy as itunes library xxx (Damaged 10)"

Yeah, thats right, 10 fucking times.. its actually more than that since i keep deleting those damaged libraries since they don't help me out one bit. After that message appears, itunes opens up with maybe 5 freakin artist and a measily 200 songs.. and its always the same artist too, why the hell do only those stay on itunes, everything else has to be re-imported? Do you know how long it takes (me) to re-import 40gbs of music/video? Or how long it takes to re-do all my customizing once i'm done with that? I have to constantly save my library as an exported file just so i can only click one button on and leave my computer on for about a day. I go thru this  almost daily now. i have to be sure to sync a hell of alot of **** onto my ipod at once, because chances are the next time i open up itunes to add more stuff to my library, its all going bye-bye.

oh and thats when my ipod isn't giving me a headache. at least once a month i'll try to sync my ipod only to have it tell me i need to restore it to factory settings. I've been lucky a few times, i'll just disconnect the damn thing and my music will still be on there. Other times, i'll leave my ipod connected overnight so it can sync up another 1000 songs or so, only to wake up and see that.. yeah, it finished... i disconnect it properly, walk to my car plug in the AUX cable and turn up the volume.. and NOTHING. i look down at my ipod and it says "0 music files/0 video files" yet when you go into settings, i tells me 40gbs of my hard drive are used.

WTF
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 10:41:25 PM »
You have it set to manage your music manually. You should be able to browse the device through Windows Explorer. Or you can uncheck the option then go to the music tab after selecting the 'VUDU' device in the left column. Once there check 'Sync Music' and 'Selected playlists:' and don't select any lists. Click apply at the bottom.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 11:08:12 PM »
iTunes absolutely sucks. No question about it. The reason I don't ever add to my iPod is because iTunes sucks...and I have Sirius now, and it's Mandatory Metallica until the Hall of Fame induction.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 11:39:04 PM »
I haven't had any problems with my iTunes, so can't help you there.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 11:52:25 PM »
iTunes works fine for me and I have never had any problems with it. I can't imagine why you don't like it. Most of your complaints seem to come down to you rather than the iTunes service.

I don't have a iPod Nano, I have a iPod Touch. Does your iPod Nano have a Podcast section? On my iPod Touch they don't show up in the Music section, they show up in a separate Podcast section.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 12:00:46 AM »
iTunes works fine for me and I have never had any problems with it. I can't imagine why you don't like it. Most of your complaints seem to come down to you rather than the iTunes service.

Me neither. I've been using iTunes since I got my iPod shuffle way back in 2005 and been able to organize playlists, songs and podcasts without any issue.

The most recent iPod was the Nano and once more, I haven't encountered any problems with video playlists and the like.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 12:05:08 AM »
Does your iPod Nano have a Podcast section? On my iPod Touch they don't show up in the Music section, they show up in a separate Podcast section.

No, I don't have a Podcast section.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 12:20:17 AM »
Automatic Syncing will probably fix the majority of your issues. I have mine setup that way and it makes life way easier. I register podcasts in the specified section and they are automatically downloaded and then moved once I connect my iPod.

You can also set up your music library to only sync checked songs that way you can maintain your whole library on your PC and then only transfer what you really want to listen to over to your iPod.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 12:33:29 AM »
i never had any problems using it on mac osx, i never used it on windows
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 12:43:02 AM »
i deleted itunes from my computer, and refuse to re-download it regardless of how many times they try to get me to during quicktime updates.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 01:04:03 AM »
I don't know why a "Podcast" section isn't showing, but it would be in there.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 08:44:11 AM »
The main problem I have with iTunes is the shortcomings of its store search options. No negative keywords, no phrase searching, and some of its alternate spelling matches are just silly (polkadot for Polkamon?), though none are as strange as Amazon.com's suggestion of "bow hunting" when you search for Pokemon there.
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 09:01:05 AM »
The main problem I have with iTunes is the shortcomings of its store search options. No negative keywords, no phrase searching, and some of its alternate spelling matches are just silly (polkadot for Polkamon?), though none are as strange as Amazon.com's suggestion of "bow hunting" when you search for Pokemon there.

I've never used the itunes store.. lol

my biggest gripe about the whole thing is how i can't just drag and drop music into a folder and call it a day. There's a long annoying process to go thru and it makes adding music such a hassle.

I used to have an iRiver mp3 player, back in like 2005, and it was sooo easy to use. You didn't even need to run the instal disc it came with, since you could just plug it in and get a message directing you to their site to download the most up to date firmware. After that it was as easy as going into 'my music' folder and dropping everything into the "iRiver/music" folder, and it never took more than 10 mins to copy all my songs on to it. Album artwork was there, the id3 tas i'd already made were there, it was great. Best of all, because my computers hard drive space was limited, once i copied everything to the mp3 player i could just delete it off my computer. Not with itunes, the second i change ANYTHING itunes thinks its missing. Sometimes i'll notice an mp3 file is misspelled, so i'll fix it, then later on wonder why its not on my ipod. Oh, itunes is stupid and thats why.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 11:23:55 PM »
*frustration bump*

Today a friend of my parents called me up, tells me he found on iPod while on the job (he's a bouncer; if he says he found it, he found it. Don't **** with him) and wanted my help getting him some music. According to him, the iPod was already preloaded from its previous (and unfortunate) owner, but he also had another friend manually add some music to it (ie w/o syncing it and losing the previous tracks). He needed me because he knew I'd have all the 80s rock music he craved.

He comes over, with his new 80gb iPod with about half of that storage space used up, and we go through some music he wants from me; Journey, Motley Crue, Billy Idol etc. I go thru the process of manually adding my music to his ipod, double check that they have the correct artist/album titles so he won't be confused finding them, then disconnect. I go into My Computer, open up the iPod drive and check the hidden folders until I recognize some of my music I just uploaded for him, thinking my job is done.

No.

Once I try to confirm on the actual iPod that the new music is there, the damn thing reads "no music" yet in the About section ~42gbs of space are being taken up by "other". Then, when I try to reconnect the iPod, iTunes no longer recognizes its library and expects me to restore it.

NO!

This shits happened (TOO) MANY times to me, and I put up with resyncing process because all 58gigs of music are still there. I CAN'T do that with his iPod because he has 40gigs worth of music that I DON'T have and honestly don't feel like replacing thru quick (but illegal) means.

Please, I'm begging anyone who has been thru this [even Apple Zealots] to help me out. I haven't been able to find a decent answer to this problem that DOESN'T involve me copying the files off his ipod to my hard drive, then restoring the damn thing and starting from scratch.

Until then, I'll be planning a way to sodomize Jobs so he knows the pain he puts me through every time some stupid **** like this happens with his "simple" to use iTunes software.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 11:40:48 PM »
Never had a problem with Itunes myself.  Apple even gave me back all of my paid stuff without any question when my harddrive crashed.

I was pretty terrified about losing my Prince and David Bowie albums. 
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 11:50:54 PM »
Never had a problem with Itunes myself.  Apple even gave me back all of my paid stuff without any question when my harddrive crashed.

I was pretty terrified about losing my Prince and David Bowie albums. 

That didn't help, although I did recently upload some Bowie to my personal ipod. No prince (yet).

I forgot to mention, any solution that doesn't require me downloading some other mangement software would be best..

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 11:56:01 PM »
Ezqr, don't auto sync your Ipod. I don't. Then manually drag everything.

Sorry, if I missed where you've done that already.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 12:05:46 AM »
Ezqr, don't auto sync your Ipod. I don't. Then manually drag everything.

Sorry, if I missed where you've done that already.

It's okay, don't be sorry.. I already said once how your post didn't help :P (I never auto-sync anything, thats how i was able to drag music from my library on to his existing library)

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 12:49:54 AM »
I think your only option is the one you don't want to do: copying the files off the iPod and starting from scratch. That sucks for you; it'll take a while.

If you want a simple way to make iTunes work great and not have any issues (at least in my experience), it's really easy: buy a Mac. I don't have anything bad to say about the OS X version of iTunes; I absolutely love it. It seems, though, that Apple is about as incompetent at making Windows software as Microsoft is at making Mac software.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Tobli

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 04:02:44 AM »
I use itunes a bit to have a nice lists of podcasts. The podcast player is extremely unreliable though.

I don't understand why it won't buffer the whole cast. Which means that any minor hitch is a source of frustration that makes me go to the podcast website, and use the vastly superior generic flash/quicktime player.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 09:34:28 AM »
I don't mind the lay out of the store so much but syncing is a real b*+€#. Especially when you have iTunes on a few devices then everything just goes to hell. I currently prefer Amazons store.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
Besides the other stuff people have said, and the massive size of the updates, and it routinely borking your media catalog on updates (according to people I know who use it), I have another major problem with itunes: no album art unless you register with the apple store.  That is just insane.  Even if you set up album art manually on your hard drive itunes will just totally ignore it.  Even my cell phone can detect and use album art stored in the same directory as the music on a flash drive, how can a supposedly full-featured desktop music player not do that?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 10:26:28 AM by TheBlackCat »
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 05:33:05 PM »
Besides the other stuff people have said, and the massive size of the updates, and it routinely borking your media catalog on updates (according to people I know who use it), I have another major problem with itunes: no album art unless you register with the apple store.  That is just insane.  Even if you set up album art manually on your hard drive itunes will just totally ignore it.  Even my cell phone can detect and use album art stored in the same directory as the music on a flash drive, how can a supposedly full-featured desktop music player not do that?

This is hit or miss with me. I've never once bought anything off itunes (and don't ever plan to) but some of the stuff i get ends up having its album art recognized, which is nice, but more often then not I have to manually update the album art (which means googling an image, saving it to the appropriate folder, and doing the whole itunes process).

ANYWAY.. I've been copying files since last night. Awesome.

Why oh why couldn't apple of made a simple drag and drop interface for this POS? Oh thats right, that'd be TOO COMPLICATED for the retards that think its easier to just buy music from them directly and let it all take care of itself.

Offline lemylinh

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 12:31:32 PM »
i agree with you

Nevermind, you are definitely a spammer... and are banned. ~Pale
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 01:28:49 PM by Pale »