Author Topic: So nobody likes GameStop?  (Read 247479 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: So nobody likes GameStop?
« Reply #275 on: March 05, 2010, 02:47:31 PM »
Reserve the game, collect your demo and then immediately cancel your preorder.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 05, 2010, 02:59:57 PM »
Where in that do I get to speed dial Reggie so I can see him kick some ass?

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 05, 2010, 03:37:16 PM »
And if they require me to pre-order the game, should I call Reggie on Speed dial and have him come kick some ass?

I'm pretty sure Nintendo said you will not be required to pre-order the game to get the demo.

Capcom has said as much, anyway.

The problem with the cancellation of a preorder is that, normally, Gamestop still keeps that money as store credit, right? Normally, they just ask you to place the money elsewhere.  I've never actually tried to get them to give the credit back, but I don't think I've preordered a game from them in a long, long time.   

Still, it doesn't top the time that a Best Buy employee tried to charge me $40 for the Gamecube demo that had Wind Waker and Viewtiful Joe on it.When I asked her why they were charging for the disk, her reply was that it had four games on one disk.   :confused;   
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 05, 2010, 03:42:12 PM »
It's all bullshit.  That's why I just ordered my demo disc from the Monster Hunter website.  This way I don't need to deal with GameStop's ****.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 05, 2010, 04:26:23 PM »
We all know Gamestop sucks. Why would you ever consider pre-ordering from them? They want to be jerks, fine, but let's not give them any of our business then.
is your sanity...

Offline GearBoxClock

• Bratwurst Bild
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • The Clock Crew
« Reply #280 on: March 05, 2010, 04:34:35 PM »
I dunno, the EB games near my place is pretty cool.
Ich lasse Sauerkraut in meinem lederhosen

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 05, 2010, 04:38:52 PM »
We all know Gamestop sucks. Why would you ever consider pre-ordering from them? They want to be jerks, fine, but let's not give them any of our business then.

But I want to increase the amount of orders that GameStop puts in for obscure third party games like, oh... Secret Files: Tunguska!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 05, 2010, 06:34:36 PM »
I'd take it up with the manager. You could also bring in a copy of the official press release stating it would be at Gamestop free without a pre-order and call the Better Business Bureau.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 06, 2010, 02:23:19 AM »
So I went to Gamestop today and got my demo copy of MH3.

Of course they tried to tell me that I had to pre-order the game if I wanted the Demo and pointed to the demo as proof, to which I pointed out that it doesn't say that on the demo and that it was announced to be released for free no pre-order necessary.
His co-worker/manager spoke up and was trying to say something, when I whipped out my phone and put Reggie on speaker phone....
long story short, I got my free demo of MH3 today. No pre-order placed.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 07, 2010, 03:10:15 AM »
Marketting--

Sometimes publishers give Gamestop bonus for selling X amount of units.  My local GS rearranges the floor plan every other month.  This month is a BIG push for PSP GO and GTA Chinatown Wars.  The sad thing is while the bundle price sounds nice (both of them for $222) but they are giving you the UMD version of GTA which doesn't work on the GO.  :(

LOL, talk about a failure in advertising. And a failure for GO.

You can't be serious. FAILure at retail for sure. I would be pissed if I bought that and probably try file some sort of false advertising on GameStop (ok, not really, but I would return it and then complain a lot on the internet)

I recall seeing a DSi + GH On Tour bundle being posted on the net...

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 07, 2010, 06:35:04 PM »
so...

That last time I was at gamestop and picked up the Miles Edgeworth game, i ran in to an old 'friend' that works there. He was just going in to work, and i asked him about the Monster Hunter Tri demo; i forgot to pick it up when i preordered Fragile Dreams and asked if they had any and if i can pick one up in a few days (i had to rush off before my meter expired). He said he had them and to come in Sunday when he's back at work.

I go there today, we make some small talk, then goes "oh yeah, so you wanted to preorder Monster Hunter right?" No, thats not what i wanted to do. I wanted to pick up the demo so i could gauge my interest in the game (and even if i liked it i wouldn't preorder it). He said the saaame BS that was potsed above; You have to preorder the game to get the demo. WTF?

I told him straight up "no dude, thats Bull fed to you by GS because the official press release from capcom/nintendo states otherwise so.. just hand over the demo" He wouldn't unless i preordered, even though he was the only person working in the store and has known me since 2nd grade..

Really Gamestop? Really!?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 07, 2010, 07:47:02 PM »
GameStop: Making childhood friends bitter enemies since it changed it's name from Funcoland.
My Game Collection

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 07, 2010, 07:47:37 PM »
Typical of GameStop. It's really poor form of Capcom to have chosen them as an outlet instead of simply doing it all mail-order.

Maybe you should print out the information from Capcom and take it in with you? :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 07, 2010, 07:50:24 PM »
Typical of GameStop. It's really poor form of Capcom to have chosen them as an outlet instead of simply doing it all mail-order.

Maybe you should print out the information from Capcom and take it in with you? :P:

Some people have reported that doing this helps them get a free copy. And from reading posts on Capcom-unity blog shows that the higher-ups are aware of the issue and looking into it.
My Game Collection

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 07, 2010, 08:31:19 PM »
I shouldn't HAVE to go through that trouble though. Due to GS doing this, Capcom could potentially lose a sale from me. Hopefully the Capcom higher ups read this by some miracle of a chance and fix the problem.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 07, 2010, 08:51:23 PM »
You should have threatened to call Reggie, then hold up your phone with your finger on the dial button.

Worked for me. ;)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #291 on: March 07, 2010, 09:33:10 PM »
Anyone know if the free demo is running in Canada? I really don't want to add a fake phone # with a 360 area code to my phonebook to get it next week, but if I have to...
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 07, 2010, 09:40:56 PM »
You should have threatened to call Reggie, then hold up your phone with your finger on the dial button.

Worked for me. ;)

He was the only one in the store, and he's scrawny. I coulda taken his name (and the demo) myself :P

Offline iDraTion

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 10, 2010, 12:04:01 AM »
So I was coming into this thread after getting my Monster Hunter Tri demo to say how desperately GS needs some form of quality control, and was pleased to see you all already talking about this.  There's two GS's in my area, one is gay, and one is apparently not gay.  And guess which one has a female employee?  The gay one.  I was hoping she wouldn't be working when I went there.  She insisted that you had to pre-order to get the demo, and she's the same one who said she didn't have enough Ghostbuster shirts for my pre-order after I watched her open up and check a large box full of them.  I just don't understand how they can just refuse to give out pre-order items and how they can just claim their own policies that are completely against the game publisher's.  And I don't mean to bust on her too much because I know she's just trying to do her job with what she's been told to do, but why is she being told to do these ridiculous things?

So I went to the other GS in my area that I didn't know existed until today.  Sure enough they had a whole stack of them in a Monster Hunter Tri display box on the front counter, free to take.  Winded up chewin' the gaming fat with the guy for a while.  Definitely where I will be buying my games from now on.  Like night and day though.  They really need a QA department or something to enforce consistency; but hopefully the good kind of consistency, not the customers-can-lick-my-balls consistency. 

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 10, 2010, 12:37:12 AM »
Good GameStops exist. Despite the odds.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 10, 2010, 01:14:21 AM »
I'm pretty sure I have like $60 or $70 store credit at GameStop...just no will to go there.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 10, 2010, 07:21:16 AM »
I'm pretty sure I have like $60 or $70 store credit at GameStop...just no will to go there.

Better use it before it expires/Gamestop goes out of business. You might not think that could happen, but there used to be a place called Babbages where that ALMOST happened to me.
is your sanity...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 10, 2010, 04:56:26 PM »
Don't know what I should get...maybe they have a JTAG-able Xbox 360, that would rule.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 10, 2010, 05:40:04 PM »

Better use it before it expires/Gamestop goes out of business. You might not think that could happen, but there used to be a place called Babbages where that ALMOST happened to me.

Didn't Babbages get eaten by Gamestop?
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 10, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
Babbages, FuncoLand, EB Games, and Software Etc. were all bought out by GameStop.

EB Games was the best one of them all. Their games weren't overpriced, actually in good condition, and they ddn't have lame store policies.