Author Topic: A Decade of PGC/NWR: 2004  (Read 11565 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: A Decade of PGC/NWR: 2004
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 07:30:27 PM »
I'm typing up my review for Wii Pikmin today. I love it (except for the time limit), and I hope to also review Wii Pikmin 2.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2009, 07:37:51 PM »
It's not a time limit, per se.

It's a measure of player's weakness.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 08:05:50 PM »
For some weird reason Pikmin 2 failed to truly captivate me. It should have because its by far the best game in the whole series. There's no time limit (though you still have to be at the ship before night falls), the collection of items is both quirky and fun, the addition of Louie makes for some compelling strategies and just about every aspect has been polished greatly. Yet despite all of this I could never go beyond the first world. It just... To be honest, I just don't know why I stopped playing. And every time I tried playing from the beginning I would give up and lose interest.

Its one of the bigger mysteries I've faced in my gaming life.

That is strange. I know I lost interest after getting out of debt, but that is truly an anomaly. Is the first level all that un-compelling?

I just don't know. I know that after getting a handful of treasure I just stopped caring, even though part of my mind thinks this is a great game.

I am willing to try the NPC version and this will be my last try. I think I'll just play it by myself because the first few times I tried playing with a guide and I think that's what kept me from pushing forward. But even then, one time I played without anything and it still didn't captivate me.

Once again, the Wii remake is the last try.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 10:33:44 PM »
What's this? No mention of Sprung for the DS?

It was slim pickings. Remember Ping Pals? The Ubisoft dating sim? Yeah...

Bolding mine. You might want to try reading people's long winded posts once in a while... ;)
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2009, 11:25:27 PM »
Pi,min 2 was GOTY by far. It took Pikmin to a whole new level and is the true definition of what a sequel should be. Metroid Prime 2 was great but it was more of the same, and not as magical as the first entry.

For some weird reason Pikmin 2 failed to truly captivate me. It should have because its by far the best game in the whole series.

You make it seem like there are more than two games in the series ;)
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2009, 03:33:34 AM »
Ah E3 2004. My first E3. It was awesome to be able to go hands-on with the DS. I remember I had the entire booth on video and most of the demos as well. It was up and lasted through E3, but then we dumped a server it was on and now its gone forever. I remember proclaiming to my friends that the DS would beat out the PSP but no one believed me.

Was my first time meeting some of the PGC crew as well I think.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2009, 12:05:31 PM »
For some weird reason Pikmin 2 failed to truly captivate me. It should have because its by far the best game in the whole series.

Same thing happened to me.  I loved the first one to death, but somehow the second game just didn't grab me.  Maybe I'll try it again some time.  I've played the first one through twice.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2009, 12:09:51 PM »
Pikmin 2 was one of the few Gamecube games that I 100%ed more than once.  I love, LOVE that game.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2009, 03:47:48 PM »
For some weird reason Pikmin 2 failed to truly captivate me. It should have because its by far the best game in the whole series. There's no time limit (though you still have to be at the ship before night falls), the collection of items is both quirky and fun, the addition of Louie makes for some compelling strategies and just about every aspect has been polished greatly. Yet despite all of this I could never go beyond the first world. It just... To be honest, I just don't know why I stopped playing. And every time I tried playing from the beginning I would give up and lose interest.

Its one of the bigger mysteries I've faced in my gaming life.

That is strange. I know I lost interest after getting out of debt, but that is truly an anomaly. Is the first level all that un-compelling?

I just don't know. I know that after getting a handful of treasure I just stopped caring, even though part of my mind thinks this is a great game.

I am willing to try the NPC version and this will be my last try. I think I'll just play it by myself because the first few times I tried playing with a guide and I think that's what kept me from pushing forward. But even then, one time I played without anything and it still didn't captivate me.

Once again, the Wii remake is the last try.

Same thing happened to me.  I loved the first one to death, but somehow the second game just didn't grab me.  Maybe I'll try it again some time.  I've played the first one through twice.

Sounds like it would be an interesting game to sound off on in RetroActive. I may nominate it once we have a release date in the West for the NPC version.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2009, 07:33:03 PM »
Call me shallow, but the reason I didn’t get Mario Power Tennis when it was first released is because it doesn’t have my two favourite characters, Toad and Birdo. However, since now I own just about all of the other Mario games out there then I figured I might as well get it. The Wii re-release was just good timing.

To this day I cannot fathom why I bought Mega Man Anniversary Collection, I just don’t know what thought process of mine would lead to that purchase. At the time I owned 3 of the 8 games, so I guess I bought it because it was cheaper than the originals. Unfortunately the conversion was terrible; certain colours were either too bright or too dim, the sound quality was worse, some sound effects were changed… How could they butcher the originals like this? Mega Man deserves better! Even worse is that the GameCube version was missing some of the features of the PS2 version such as the music remixes, and the switching of the “A” and “B” buttons. I was so dissatisfied I sold this off and bought the remaining NES games I was missing. I still don’t have 7 and 8 but 7 is “meh” and 8 is kind of bad. This pitiful collection definitely helped solidify my insistence on originals.

However, it's a shame that Mega Man Mania for the Game Boy Advance never materialized. I'd have been able to handle a collection like this that was set to colour the originals.

Metroid Prime 2 was a worthy sequel. Although it is really more of a continuation than a true sequel, that was perfectly fine by me. Metroid Prime left me wanting more, not because it is short (it isn’t) but because it’s so good I didn’t want it to end. Metroid Prime 2 refined elements of the first game, such as the scan visor allowing you to target any piece of an object instead of a symbol on it. The light and dark elements, despite being an age-old parallel, still work quite well, though sometimes waiting around in the light bubbles got kind of boring. I guess this was supposed to encourage you to venture out while weakened or else be bored? The combat felt more streamlined and action-packed, probably because they expected people to be skilled at the game from playing the first.

I wasn’t really a fan of Paper Mario on N64; it was alright but it didn’t seem like anything special. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is better, but still has some of the same problems. The fighting system is still a bit too simple, it deals with such low numbers for HP, and every attack does a fixed damage percentage. There are some welcome additions to it, such as the partner having their own HP and more variety to the action commands, though the random events caused by the audience are pretty annoying. Like the first game, the writing just isn't very clever; it's like the game is winking at you the whole time, like "Hey, that's funny, right? Did you see that? That's a good one!" There's also way too much dialogue, everyone chatters on endlessly despite having so little to say.

The more I played it, the more it just seemed... "meh". I think I may know why that is though... it's because it is the fourth Mario RPG I've played. Especially since it is the direct sequel to one of them, it recycles many of the same items, badges, enemies, and concepts from its predecessor. Although the battle system has been improved, I'm not sure which of the two Paper Mario games I like better. I'm inclined to think I'd choose the first Paper Mario simply because I played it first (and it is also an N64 game).

Metroid Zero Mission was a good remake, it made the original Metroid a lot easier to navigate especially with the map, that was welcome. The original just tosses you into the game with no direction and no real clues as to what you need to do. It’s pretty short though since it was an NES game, but there’s not much which could have been done about that without making it a different game altogether. I also like how it includes the original Metroid so that you can compare the games.

The best part of Tales of Symphonia was the battles. I’m not all that into RPGs because turn-based battles are pretty boring, so they have to try something a little less traditional to entice me. The more action-oriented battle system kind of reminded me of Smash Brothers in the way that the controls were set up, and with how the movement was mostly two-dimensional. Although most battles weren’t really difficult, what made you always try to play at your best was the grade you earned from performing well. The story was pretty clichéd and conventional, though the random skits which popped up every now and then were a nice touch.

Let’s see, what else… I don’t own Pikmin 2 but I might get the Wii re-release. It seems to be popular opinion that the sequel is better so I might skip the first Pikmin. However, if I like Pikmin 2 and decide to get the first game later, it may have some problem that was fixed in the sequel that would bother me to no end. I don’t like playing games in reverse order.

I also own Tony Hawk’s Underground 2 but I’ve never played much of it. By this time the series has gotten pretty stale due to this being the sixth game and all. It needed Mario in it.

A few months ago is when I first played Super Mario 64 DS. It was at this moment I realized how awesome an analogue stick is, and just how much the absence of one made this game more difficult to control. However, this game has been made easier over the original so the wonky controls rarely presented a problem. The variety of having four characters to choose from was a neat addition, but the few new courses seemed uninspired and the extra star in each world felt tacked-on. Despite the texture touch-up I find the original game to have the better graphics due to them being a lot more smooth.

I had some praise for Reggie but this post is already getting ridiculous as the largest one I've ever written up.
If this were GameFAQs I'd expect somebody to respond with "wall of text'd" or "tl:dr"...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:39:57 PM by Mop_it_up »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2009, 04:52:20 PM »
What's this? No mention of Sprung for the DS?

It was slim pickings. Remember Ping Pals? The Ubisoft dating sim? Yeah...

Bolding mine. You might want to try reading people's long winded posts once in a while... ;)

Oh whoops. I was looking in the list of games... eheh.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.