Linked Events

• RE Darkside Chronicles release: November 17, 2009

Author Topic: Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles  (Read 109400 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles
« Reply #425 on: November 26, 2009, 07:01:03 PM »
Wow, I beat him like two minutes after writing the email.

PROTIP: How to beat Mr. X at the end of the RE2 chapter: After you get the rocket launcher, he'll regenerate about 1/3rd of his health, then come charging at you. Shoot him in the face a few times, but MAKE SURE YOU GET HIM DOWN TO NOTHING. If there's any red left in his health when he jumps away, this won't work (I think). Anyway, he'll leap away. Equip your rocket launcher and fire basically at his feet, because when he lands, he'll be crouching. If you fire at ANY OTHER TIME after this, he'll bat the rocket away or throw it back at you, which means you'll have to repeat the sequence. It may take a few tries.

I'm now knee-deep in the Veronica missions. I'm finding them much easier than the RE2 stuff. Still like the game, but not as much as Umbrella Chronicles, for reasons that will become apparant when you read my upcoming review.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 01, 2009, 03:50:34 PM »
The Racoon City missions are very dark. Too dark in places. Crows are tough to kill because of this--they just blend into the sky. Just finished the first two missions, though, and I'm very much enjoying it. Feels like UC, but the tone is much different.
I think you need to turn the contrast up or something because I could see the bats just fine.  In fact, if you keep shooting directly at the swarm non-stop, you kill a ton of them.  I think I killed about 100 of them during one of the CV episodes.

I find the head shots to be much easier.  I think my wife finds them harder though.  She was a master at the headshot in UC, but I am about equal to her in DC.

I love the smoothness of the reticule.  It is a blessing.  I'm not a fan of times where one person cannot shoot because they decided to include their character onscreen during that in-game cutscene.

Overall I'm highly enjoying this game.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 01, 2009, 04:10:19 PM »
PROTIP: How to beat Mr. X at the end of the RE2 chapter: After you get the rocket launcher, he'll regenerate about 1/3rd of his health, then come charging at you. Shoot him in the face a few times, but MAKE SURE YOU GET HIM DOWN TO NOTHING. If there's any red left in his health when he jumps away, this won't work (I think). Anyway, he'll leap away. Equip your rocket launcher and fire basically at his feet, because when he lands, he'll be crouching. If you fire at ANY OTHER TIME after this, he'll bat the rocket away or throw it back at you, which means you'll have to repeat the sequence. It may take a few tries.
Quoted for accuracy.  Gotta shoot him in the legs.  He was the only thing so far that has really frustrated me.  We also died completely on him as well and that just hurt.  Luckily, if you mess up, it keeps giving you more rockets, so you won't run out of them.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #428 on: December 03, 2009, 01:03:32 PM »
More backloggery.

>> Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
TGS 2009 trailer
TGS 2009 gameplay video: South America
November 2009 launch trailer
November 2009 Bonus Costumes video
November 2009 Tofu Mode video
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 18, 2009, 09:29:12 PM »
As I alluded in another topic, I picked up this game this morning and have made some pretty good progress (I just had my first run-in with William Birkin).  So far, I can say this game is easily a dramatic improvement over the last Wii lightgun game I played (Dead Space Extraction) and a definite step up from Umbrella Chronicles, partly due to simply being set in RE games I actually like and partly due to the greater immersion.  Going into this game, I really didn't think I'd like the "Shaky Cam" ruining my shots, and to some extent that does happen in places I'd rather not (usually when I'm trying to grab elusive items) but overall I think I'll take the trade-off for the greater level of immersion.  Overall, though, it's not as bad as reported (in the spots it's worst in, you generally shouldn't be shooting anyway) and my aim's been fairly decent with my Wiimote in its Perfect Shot holster.  Getting head shots is still harder than I would like (frankly, I think it reasonable to consider it a "head shot" when you blast a zombie in the face, but that's just me), but it's a lot easier than it was in Umbrella Chronicles.

Overall, there are just a lot of little tweaks here and there that make for a better experience, such as having the gun selection mapped to the control stick; being able to store and manually use green herbs when you need them; a little more lenient timing on the QTEs; automatically acquiring gold you find shooting objects without having to "grab" them; and having the second player often on-screen with you (with their own health bar, even).

So far, I only have two real complaints and a nitpick: first, it's a lot harder to tell what you can and can't break in this game.  In Umbrella Chronicles, your crosshair would change to indicate when you can break an object, but here it remains the same on any piece of the environment to make it a lot harder to find hidden items.  Second, I'm not sure why but there's just something about this game that doesn't look right, like there's no anti-aliasing on anything and the brightness seems off (ironically, the exact opposite of Extraction's problem: here, the game seems too bright so textures seem washed-out) with no way to fix it in-game (I'm not messing with my TV's brightness for just one game).  The end result is that the game looks really rough and kind of ugly on my HD TV, even though I can tell from screenshots that this game ordinarily looks quite decent.  It's not a Wii thing, since I've seen plenty of Wii games that looked just fine on the thing, but for some reason 3rd party Wii games always look like this. 

Finally, the nitpick: ok, Capcom, you stated quite clearly that you were going for better immersion in this game and I definitely believe you succeeded in your goal.  That said, if you wanted to give a better sense that I'm "there", why is it whenever my character does something I never see their body?  When my character slides along the ground, it's just a camera sliding.  When my character pushes open a door, it's a camera pushing the door.  I'm sorry, but that's one thing Dead Space Extraction got right, so it's disappointing to see this crop up here when so much else is done right.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 09:33:42 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 19, 2009, 12:30:43 AM »
Finally, the nitpick: ok, Capcom, you stated quite clearly that you were going for better immersion in this game and I definitely believe you succeeded in your goal.  That said, if you wanted to give a better sense that I'm "there", why is it whenever my character does something I never see their body?  When my character slides along the ground, it's just a camera sliding.  When my character pushes open a door, it's a camera pushing the door.  I'm sorry, but that's one thing Dead Space Extraction got right, so it's disappointing to see this crop up here when so much else is done right.

I assume you mean why don't your hands show up on the screen when you are climbing stairs or opening doors, or why your legs don't show up when sliding down something slike a slope. I thought that was a nice touch in DSE as it's likely something they got from Mirror's Edge.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #431 on: December 19, 2009, 12:50:13 AM »
Nah man, Geist did all that stuff before.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 19, 2009, 05:00:29 AM »
Yeah but maybe they got the idea to do it in Mirrors edge from Geist.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 19, 2009, 06:51:58 AM »

I assume you mean why don't your hands show up on the screen when you are climbing stairs or opening doors, or why your legs don't show up when sliding down something slike a slope. I thought that was a nice touch in DSE as it's likely something they got from Mirror's Edge.

You are correct, sir.  I was referring to how you see your character's body whenever they have to do something in first person in DSE (huh, I didn't think about them getting the idea from Mirror's Edge, but it makes sense).

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 19, 2009, 04:29:33 PM »
Didn't you see that in Prime 3 too with the doors and switches? I'm sure there are others from before this generation.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #435 on: December 19, 2009, 04:34:18 PM »
Nintendo doesn't count...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 19, 2009, 04:45:26 PM »
Didn't you see that in Prime 3 too with the doors and switches? I'm sure there are others from before this generation.

The Metroid Prime series is a different kind of beast, really.  But yes, Prime 3 did do that as well.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 19, 2009, 05:39:47 PM »
I'm nearly at the end of the RE2 series of stages, as I made it almost to the end of Chapter 7 before I got killed by Birkin.  At that point, I had practically no health left and no green herbs thanks to getting wasted by those ****ing IVYS!  Those damn plants have a very specific weak spot, one that you unfortunately can't hit when they lean back to hit you.  So basically, if you don't manage to kill one before it winds up, you're about to watch half your health bar get destroyed.  Oh joy.  Right now, I'm just going back through the previous stages, trying to find more of the Archive files and grind some gold (thankfully, unlike its predecessor Darkside doesn't give a damn about your accuracy).  I even managed an S-rank on Chapter 2 of the RE section when I got an awesome sequence of something like 4-5 headshots in a row (with each headshot worth more as the combo continued0.  ^_^  It's great to hear the old RE2 music again, and the scripting for the "action" sequences (where you're constantly on the run from Mr. X or some of the larger enemies) is really well-done.

Damn, money is scarce in this game considering how much the upgrades cost (I'm lucky if I can upgrade a weapon once per level clear, and I'm getting at least a high B->A rank on every level).  Supposedly, you can up the amount of gold you can find by spinning those gold pieces that pop out of destroyed items with gunfire before you collect them, but I haven't managed to do that yet as far as I can tell.  I'm also a little annoyed that there's a whole section of your Archives for special "Voice" files you can only collect on Hard Mode.  Oh well.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 06:40:29 PM by broodwars »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 20, 2009, 10:23:26 PM »
My brother and I just beat this co-op on normal. Does this game not scale difficulty? Because I felt it wasn't often very dangerous as long as we watched our ammo, and my brother and I only ever had to use one first aid spray. Maybe it was easy because we got tons of money and focused our upgrades on making an uber pistol? Oh well, I felt it was very engaging, a great follow-up to the first UC. I like the pacing, how it doesn't care about accuracy anymore (thank god), and how they wove the scenarios together too.

Oh, and secret mode? Delicious.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 20, 2009, 10:32:19 PM »
I completed the RE2 stages today as well as the first Code Veronica stage, and I have to say I was taken aback by the sharp contrast in difficulty between the last stages of the former and the first of the latter (I S-ranked that first CV stage on my first try).  In many ways, this game feels like it was programmed by different teams.  The last couple RE2 stages (except for the Mr. X "arena" in the final RE2 stage, which looks dreadful in its PS2 quality) look very good and the Code Veronica stages actually approach Wii-quality graphics, but the RE2 stages and the Krauser stages just look dark and murky.

I don't understand the complaints about this game being short, much as I didn't the same complaints about Umbrella Chronicles.  While the actual stage count may be the same, with Code Veronica and RE2 getting 7 stages each compared to each UC scenario's 3, the pacing and storytelling is dramatically improved.  The game "feels" long, even if it isn't on-paper.  I just wish there were cool unlockable stages like in UC that use the peripheral characters like Ada (sorry, but the bonus Krauser and "special" stages sound rather lame).

And they somehow managed to make Steve Burnside even more of a whiny b****.  I didn't think that was possible.  In fact, I'm rather annoyed with the writing in this game in general.  Ever other line, it sounds like the characters are playing this game as a parody of a survival horror story, with constant quips that just break the mood for me.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 10:42:26 PM by broodwars »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 20, 2009, 11:48:32 PM »
Is Darkside Chronicles better than Dead Space Extraction?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #441 on: December 20, 2009, 11:56:57 PM »
uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 21, 2009, 03:20:11 AM »
Is Darkside Chronicles better than Dead Space Extraction?

Hmmm... toughie...

I think DC is a longer game to start with. Its weapon customization system, and the destructible items littered throughout levels that hold bonuses, give you a better reason for replayability, and give you a better sense of participation in how you progress through the game and how well you succeed at that. I think that DC presents itself in a more accomplished sense graphically as well since the main character models hold up much better to scrutiny than Deadspace's models (though admittedly, DC has a smaller number of main characters on the screen at any one time), and the cutscenes work well to lull you into thinking that the rest of the game is that beautiful.

However, DS feels much less like a typical arcade rail shooter than DC. The weapons aren't the typical zombie game weapons and are therefore more interesting, in addition to having alternate fire modes. I found the pacing in DS much tighter in my opinion, because it doesn't have those plod-and-talk sessions that RE:DC indulges in for exposition and so-called "mood." DS is also much more... well, western, in its direction and thus a little less tied to convention. While you can enjoy watching the story playback in DC, you feel like the events in DS are actually unfolding before your eyes.

...gah.

I think that DS is a more innovative experience and does a better job at extending itself beyond the rail shooter formula. It's got a different take on zombies and zombie killing weapons, has an approach to story that's more immediate, complex, and new, and much less reliant on cutscenes and exposition. DS succeeds in feeling more like an accomplished director has woven together interesting events for you to experience. I really do think the term "guided horror experience" that the developers used in describing what they were going for applies.

But I think that DC better executes on those things that make it more of a "game," especially a game that came out of the arcades. It may be less innovative, but since its levels are full of additional destructible objects to shoot, and because one can earn additional gold to apply to upgrading your weapons, I'm tempted to actually replay it a bit more and continue "levelling up." I might even "level up" my weapons enough to tackle hard mode.

I "like" DS more, but I think I'll play DC twice as much.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 21, 2009, 06:52:20 AM »
So Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles is better.

Okay, how about Darkside and House of the Dead: Overkill?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 21, 2009, 07:14:39 AM »

I've give this one to Darkside as well.  Overkill is a score attack game, and outside of the thrill of chaining together headshots and building up that multiplier there really isn't much depth to it.  The story's also quite humorous, but it's the kind of story I could only enjoy once. Darkside's story is based on two of the best stories in the Resident Evil series (I know...I know...low bar...) and is exceptionally well-paced and exciting.

I will give Overkill this, though: I'd have loved to be able to unlock a Director's Cut mode for Darkside that adds a few more rooms and zombies to each level.  Also, while Darkside probably has more to unlock than Overkill, the two feel fairly even in that regard.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 21, 2009, 09:54:57 AM »

Overkill is superior because it lets you turn off the targeting reticule.  Shooting with your own aim and not moving around the dot on the screen makes it hard for me to go back to the RE games.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #446 on: December 21, 2009, 11:56:24 AM »

Overkill is superior because it lets you turn off the targeting reticule.  Shooting with your own aim and not moving around the dot on the screen makes it hard for me to go back to the RE games.

Overkill is a real lightgun game, for real lightgun-aiming players.  Looking thru my SHOTGURN zapper while using the Assault Rifle?  Oh, buddy!  Who needs Left4Dud?

Edit:  In this game, one becomes TALLAHASSEE.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 12:14:32 PM by NinGurl69 *huggles »

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 21, 2009, 10:19:14 PM »

Overkill is a real lightgun game, for real lightgun-aiming players.  Looking thru my SHOTGURN zapper while using the Assault Rifle?  Oh, buddy!  Who needs Left4Dud?

Im not sure if you're trolling me or just you being you because I have no freaking idea what you are talking about for most of this post.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 21, 2009, 10:25:31 PM »

Im not sure if you're trolling me or just you being you because I have no freaking idea what you are talking about for most of this post.

re-read his post after you imagine you soaked your brain in some rot-gut, soaked yur gumz in sum tobacco juice and spit out 3-4 of your smilin teef.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #449 on: December 21, 2009, 11:01:09 PM »

re-read his post after you imagine you soaked your brain in some rot-gut, soaked yur gumz in sum tobacco juice and spit out 3-4 of your smilin teef.

How can people NOT play Overkill after watching fine cinema like "Zombieland"?  1-to-1 aim using CTA Digital's Sure Shot rifle with the in-game Assault Rifle for breaking mutant-melons is DIVINE.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 11:03:12 PM by NinGurl69 *huggles »