Linked Events

• RE Darkside Chronicles release: November 17, 2009

Author Topic: Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles  (Read 109404 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles
« Reply #400 on: November 21, 2009, 08:55:17 PM »
I don't think any Wii games that run at 30fps and below will avoid the aliasing issue via technological methods, ever.  Objects that easily contrast with each other due to color/lighting differences will always bring attention to their edges, and the lower framerate means the ghost frames produced by HDTVs will continue to roughen the perceived image.  Nintendo manages to excuse itself all the time because their games tend to have solid framerates, moderate but carefully selected color schemes, non-realistic scenery, and geometry that isn't reliant on sharp linear edges.  REDC's aliasing almost disappears when you look at the 3D models from the logbook, running at a higher framerate.

The zombie pups didn't bother me at all.  Headshots make them easy takedowns just like the last game.

I think Leon looks different cuz he's still a young chap.  He hasn't Gotten Ripped in 4 Weeks yet, and the South America mission has yet to take its toll on his Backstreet Boy looks.

I don't think RC looks too dark.  If there's no significant light source, then it should be dark, and I'm ok with that.  My TV settings satisfy the brightness checks for all Wii games, and it looks like Cavia's been using the same standards set for REUC and Zack & Wiki.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #401 on: November 21, 2009, 08:55:43 PM »
LOL the emo.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 21, 2009, 08:59:27 PM »
Now that NinGurl has basically reviewed the game for me...:-)

I agree with basically everything. I'm having MORE trouble with headshots, though. There are still some "stand there until they're all dead" scenes where it's easier. The fire effects are nice. I was hoping the anti-aliasing would be improved since E3, but alas, it is not, and is very noticable all the time. Giant Jumping Spiders are AWESOME, as was the first boss. Character models are good, but have limited behaviors. Zombie dogs are tougher to take down now. Personally, I think Krauser sounds different, but I'll have to replay some RE4 to be certain. Leon's facial model in the South America missions is closer to his appearance in the RE CG movie than RE4, which I don't like.

The Racoon City missions are very dark. Too dark in places. Crows are tough to kill because of this--they just blend into the sky. Just finished the first two missions, though, and I'm very much enjoying it. Feels like UC, but the tone is much different.

Call him Pro.  Just do it.  You might not know why, but please call him Pro.

So is this another game to get if you want to learn about the whole Resident Evil "Mythos?"  When you finish, I'd like to know how long it lasted.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #403 on: November 21, 2009, 10:48:19 PM »
Claire has boob physics, CONFIRMED

This should guarantee everyone's purchase.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 21, 2009, 11:05:57 PM »

Call him Pro.  Just do it.  You might not know why, but please call him Pro.

this. seconded, thirded and fourtheded x1000.
Like Nike says, Just Do It.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #405 on: November 22, 2009, 12:07:12 AM »
Finished a few more chapters.  This game is darker than last; Raccoon City is less happier this time around.

The presence of NPCs sets this game apart from REUC concerning its tone.  REUC didn't step beyond a pair of guns hiding behind a camera.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #406 on: November 22, 2009, 03:09:30 PM »
Some zombies don't like indicating a headshot is possible when you first target their weakpoint even tho you believe you're targetting it correctly.  ``Do they have to be "softened up" first?``  It's hard to tell.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #407 on: November 22, 2009, 09:06:34 PM »
Female zombies also have boob physics. It's wierd, but I'm okay with it.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 22, 2009, 10:38:40 PM »

If there's enough, um, movement, do chunks fly off?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 22, 2009, 11:18:57 PM »

If there's enough, um, movement, do chunks fly off?

Ewwww. curdled milk

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #410 on: November 23, 2009, 02:31:17 AM »
Got this two days ago, and me and my sister plowed through it this evening. I wish it was a little longer. It seems easier than the first on multiplayer, harder than the first on single.

Headshots are much easier to pull off. Me and my sister have gotten an S ranking on every mission for headshots so far, and the bonus multiplier make it crucial to nail them in a row to get S scores in other areas now too.

Overall? I'm happy with the game, although I wish it was a little longer. If you didn't like the first, you won't like this one. But I loved the first, so no problems there and I enjoy the improvements this one brings (although the first secret missions are lame, since they are the exact same levels found in game just with added voice over...)
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #411 on: November 23, 2009, 05:45:47 PM »
"harder than the first on single."

Good.  I was looking for a way to use up all this extra ammo.

I've played about 4 chapters so far, playing each twice just to see a different partner character onscreen.  Those early RC stages are great for compiling ammo.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #412 on: November 24, 2009, 12:46:54 AM »
Okay, head shots are "kinda" easier compared to the first.... how easy they are to get is tied to difficulty now. So getting head shots on Hard, for example, is really a test of one's sense of aiming. That was quite a surprise.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #413 on: November 24, 2009, 12:41:33 PM »
I don't quite follow.  Plz elaborate.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #414 on: November 24, 2009, 01:24:57 PM »
Ran out of ammo right before the fight with G's second form. Argh! Then I remembered, after turning off the game, that I can switch guns mid-level by pressing Minus. Tonight, G will feast on bowgun darts.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #415 on: November 24, 2009, 03:46:17 PM »
I don't quite follow.  Plz elaborate.

If you haven't played the game on easy, try it. Attempt to get a head shot. Now do the same on Hard on the same level. The hit detection area that counts as a head shot is dramatically larger on the easier difficulties.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #416 on: November 24, 2009, 03:51:26 PM »
Play on easy? ahahhah =D

I'm on normal, so I guess the hit detection area is normal sized which still seems easier than the normal sized hit detection area in the previous game.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #417 on: November 24, 2009, 04:00:05 PM »
Play on easy? ahahhah =D

I'm on normal, so I guess the hit detection area is normal sized which still seems easier than the normal sized hit detection area in the previous game.

I agree, it is. But if you play on Easy you will notice the most dramatic difference between them. I wonder if it gets even harder on Very Hard as well, or if that is the same as the previous difficulty.

Also, I'm disappointed at the lack of true bonus stages in this game. I thought the Krauser ones were just one of several, but I see that's it... very lame. Where are the Hunk or Ada levels to spice things up like the first had? It seems like Capcom really took a cost cutting maneuver by making you play the exact two same levels with just added voice over and nothing more...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 04:15:43 PM by Arbok »
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #418 on: November 24, 2009, 04:08:02 PM »
Ran out of ammo right before the fight with G's second form. Argh! Then I remembered, after turning off the game, that I can switch guns mid-level by pressing Minus. Tonight, G will feast on bowgun darts.

SUFFER, LIKE G DID???!!!

ahahaha, the two franchises are connected, after all

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 24, 2009, 11:48:02 PM »
I started the game and its pretty cool.  I can't find a way to turn off the sight though.  Is there a way to play this like a real lightgun game like in Overkill? 

Headshots are tough, you need to really line it up.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #420 on: November 25, 2009, 12:08:15 AM »
I started the game and its pretty cool.  I can't find a way to turn off the sight though.  Is there a way to play this like a real lightgun game like in Overkill? 

No such option.

Only Sega somehow knows the secret.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 25, 2009, 12:13:45 PM »

No such option.

I'm glad I got it for a lot cheaper.  I don't consider any lightgun shooter worth full price unless you have the ability to actually play it like a light gun game.  This not being a standard feature is pathetic.  As far as what is happening so far this seems better than Overkill (outside the humor) but with no lightgun style play it drops way, way, way, way back.  This would have taken what?  An extra week to program on their SECOND lightgun shooter.  I hate to say it but I hope this game bombs since they left out what seems like an obvious and incredibly essential feature.  My girlfriend played through all of Overkill with me but couldn't do it with the Umbrella Chronicles because she felt like she was moving a mouse, not actually shooting.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #422 on: November 25, 2009, 03:23:34 PM »
I CAN'T BEAT MR. X. IT IS SO FRUSTRATING!!!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #423 on: November 25, 2009, 03:32:29 PM »

No such option.

I'm glad I got it for a lot cheaper.  I don't consider any lightgun shooter worth full price unless you have the ability to actually play it like a light gun game.  This not being a standard feature is pathetic.  As far as what is happening so far this seems better than Overkill (outside the humor) but with no lightgun style play it drops way, way, way, way back.  This would have taken what?  An extra week to program on their SECOND lightgun shooter.  I hate to say it but I hope this game bombs since they left out what seems like an obvious and incredibly essential feature.  My girlfriend played through all of Overkill with me but couldn't do it with the Umbrella Chronicles because she felt like she was moving a mouse, not actually shooting.

I understand exactly how you feel.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 25, 2009, 07:58:19 PM »
I CAN'T BEAT MR. X. IT IS SO FRUSTRATING!!!
I will experience that when I get this game for X-mas.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?