Linked Events

• RE Darkside Chronicles release: November 17, 2009

Author Topic: Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles  (Read 109402 times)

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming Resident Evil game for Wii thread
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2009, 09:09:10 AM »
I hope that they speed it up a bit since the last one seemed to play slower. Exploration to some degree would be nice as well.

Er,.... exploration?  In an on-rails shooter?!

Doesn't "on-rails" pretty much preclude exploration except of the most clumsy kind (e.g., choose-a-branching-path)?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2009, 10:08:02 AM »
Actually I disagree with you there. 

Exploration is simply being able to see the game world designed.  Traditionally a game is said to have exploration when you are allowed to go off the beaten path and do your own thing. But that is a very limited definition.

If an on-rails game allows me to see every possible area I might want to look at, and give me 360 view of the world then I would say it offers pretty good exploration for the type of game it is. 

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2009, 10:34:56 AM »
Capcom once again shows they still don't care about the Wii, nothing new to see here.  If it wasn't for the upcoming Monster Hunter 3, Capcom's Wii support would easily be right up there with Ubisoft as the cheapest and laziest.

Of course the only reason we're even getting Monster Hunter 3 in the first place is thanks to Iwata working out a deal and giving out moneyhats, something Nintendo rarely does.  So even in the case of Monster Hunter 3, it's more of Nintendo's doing then Capcom's.

How many time does it need to be said, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition has sold over 1.5 million copies, which is more then Umbrella Chronicles has sold, not to mention is the same as the 360 version of Dead Rising and very close to the 360 sales of Lost Planet.  And yet, still no traditional Resident Evil game for the Wii.

Of course considering how Resident Evil: 5 has pretty much killed the series by turning it into a Gear of War clone, maybe it's better we get this lightgun game since sadly, Umbrella Chronicles ended up feeling more like a survival horror game then Resident Evil 5 has.  :-\
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2009, 12:05:31 PM »
Of course considering how Resident Evil: 5 has pretty much killed the series by turning it into a Gear of War clone, maybe it's better we get this lightgun game since sadly, Umbrella Chronicles ended up feeling more like a survival horror game then Resident Evil 5 has.  :-\

Thanks for framing it that way.  I should've recalled that the series has no more hope without Mikami (I'll just wait and see what he does at Platinum Games).  In this sense, getting more spinoff fanservice that hearkens back to purer days is good because the genuine "biohazard" framework simply has no future.

I am now on the positive swing on Darkside Chronicles.

Capcom can die after it comes out.

DEATH TO CAPCOM.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2009, 12:09:53 PM »
I still want my Zack & Wiki sequal.

NAO PLZ.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2009, 12:13:07 PM »
ahahahhahaha they need to hurry up then

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2009, 01:04:10 PM »
And they also need to get their acts together and either completely localize "Tatsunoko vs. Capcom" or make a new VS. game.

THEN they can die. :p
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
Capcom isn't worth saving anymore.

Flagship is gone and Clover is better off without them. They deserve bankrupty. Inafune should just work for Nintendo, along with the Zack & Wiki team.

He won't be forced whipped into making Mega Man Star Force VER. 1567785.

Just make sure you give us Tatsunoko vs. Capcom before you kick the bucket Capcom. Also add the Samurai Pizza Cats before you release it.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2009, 01:41:53 PM »
Or port Street Fighter 4 sans HD graphiks.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2009, 01:43:02 PM »
Capcom needs to downport RE5 THEN they can die.

And by downport, I mean remove the AI coop, realtime inventory, and add IR aiming.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2009, 01:55:19 PM »
Capcom like Ubisoft? That is a bit extreme, especially considering all of their Wii games have been quality titles so far even if a couple were ports. Also who said Nintendo paid them for MH3? Or is that based on opinion?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2009, 01:59:44 PM »
Yeah, comparing Capcom to the almighty Ubisoft *ding* is going a bit far.  Yeah, Capcom doesn't tend to give us what we want on Wii, but at least the stuff they put up is largely worth playing.  Ubisoft'zzzz on the other hand...*ding*
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2009, 02:48:42 PM »
And they also need to get their acts together and either completely localize "Tatsunoko vs. Capcom" or make a new VS. game.

I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2009, 02:56:45 PM »

Keebler Elves, Snap Crackle & Pop, Tony the Tiger, Toucan Sam, Honey Smack Frog, an Eggo waffle and the Kellog Rooster vs Capcom....
Maybe Kellog should team up with General Mills to add Lucky Leprechaun, Cheerio Bee, Count Chocula, Franken Berry, Boo Berry, Yummy Mummy, Cookoo CoCo Puff bird & the Trix Rabbit to the roster.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 04:06:12 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2009, 03:44:18 PM »
Well, at least UC was fun.  If it's improved from that (HEADSHOT DETECTION PLZ) i'll definitely have to pick up whatever this new light gun game is called.
Who wants heroine brownies?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2009, 03:53:39 PM »
You have to aim for a very small spot above & between the eyes, like between their would-be eyebrows.  Try it out, it takes a split second of patience to hover that spot (and a big TV helps...................................................) and it'll become easy to decide when to go after it or not (distant mutants not that worth it).  The designers weren't gonna give headshots for free.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2009, 03:57:08 PM »
IGN has an article with some quotes from the developers. Insightful and gives some hope to those who are put off by it being another on-rails gun game.

You know, Goldeneye was originally conceived as a on-rails shooter. I am so glad they changed it. If only other developers could see it that way.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2009, 03:58:27 PM »
"You know, Goldeneye was originally conceived as a on-rails shooter. I am so glad they changed it. If only other developers could see it that way."

I can totally see that.  No wonder I found the level design completely disgusting.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2009, 04:37:19 PM »
Yeah, comparing Capcom to the almighty Ubisoft *ding* is going a bit far.  Yeah, Capcom doesn't tend to give us what we want on Wii, but at least the stuff they put up is largely worth playing.  Ubisoft'zzzz on the other hand...*ding*

Yeah I agree with that statement. Though I do think people skim over Monster Hunter 3 on Wii too easily, it is Capcom's fastest growing franchise so it still is a major addition. Even without it, Capcom has had quality support of Wii with both well done enhanced ports and a few exclusives. There may not be any major games (yet until MH3) but they all are worth checking out. Ubisoft on the other hand is beyond ewww, besides Rayman (and that is not saying much) their support has been horrendous in the quality department even with their ports.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2009, 05:39:11 PM »
I'm on the fence. This is both good and bad.

On one hand, I liked Umbrella Chronicles, despite the slow pace, the slug shooting, and recycled storyline. It was a pretty fun game and I still plan on buying it eventually. On the other hand, did it need a sequel more than RE4:WE needed a follow-up (on the Wii)? No, it didn't especially since one of the levels in Darkside Chronicles will likely take place during RE4 and that game is already available on the Wii in 2 flavors. The final level will probably involve Jill's fake death which if you play RE5 before Darkside Chronicles, it'll be spoiled for you. I still assert that not only is Jill alive, but Capcom has already showed her in the trailer (my bet is on the cloaked chick wearing the bird/thief lord mask being Jill). Plot-wise, like UC, this game will be utterly useless. Gameplay wise, DC might play better than Overkill but Overkill has unquestionably beaten any other on-rails shooter that has ever and will ever be released on the Wii in terms of presentation. "It's a good thing we found these mini-guns."

I bought RE4 on the Wii 2 years ago and I, personally, found it to be the definitive version of the game (despite the lazy cut-scene transition). Motion controls actually made an already near perfect game into an even better game. That's what I want. This goes beyond console loyalty because I have all 3 consoles. While playing through RE5, I will be thinking about how much better this game would play on the Wii. Bottomline, that's the most disappointing thing about the current state of the Resident Evil series today. Capcom could make a better RE game on the Wii, but they refuse to. As a gamer, I'm insulted. I don't mind Darkside Chronicles because I like RE and on-rails shooters, but give me the game I want.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »

Oh Good Lord...

I would SO buy that game day one. In fact... SCREW TATSUNOKO! CAPCOM GET KELLOGS!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2009, 06:58:31 PM »

Oh Good Lord...

I would SO buy that game day one. In fact... SCREW TATSUNOKO! CAPCOM GET KELLOGS!

Kellogs vs. General Mills, I like it. I remember old cheap cereal videogames like Chex Quest that parodied Doom. They could capitalize on a lot with videogames based on cereal characters.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2009, 07:30:46 PM »
It's not Jill. I'd bet my bottom virtual dollar that it's Sherry Birkin.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2009, 07:38:08 PM »
It's Nina from Tekken.

I know cuz Bill already beat it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2009, 07:59:23 PM »
:( I was hoping it was my sister... She's been missing ever since they announced this game was in development :(