Author Topic: Final Fantasy Legend II getting DS remake  (Read 6040 times)

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy Legend II getting DS remake
« on: January 14, 2009, 09:21:32 PM »
So, looks like the next oldie from Square-Enix is going to be a old Game Boy game, and from what I have seen, it looks pretty good.  Supposedly Final Fantasy Legend II is the best of the three Saga games released under the FFL moniker.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=69167
http://gonintendo.com/?p=69194
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8978565&publicUserId=5379721
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy Legend II getting DS remake
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 09:49:31 PM »
is that a chainsaw in his hands.....awesome ;D

I wonder if Square will ever make some more original DS games though  :(

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 09:56:14 PM »
Unlikely...Wada (Squenix's President) said that they were going to focus more on FF and DQ from now on... =\

SaGa is a decent series, so I'm interested...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 03:21:04 AM »
They should make games that don't look so close to the same damn game all the time. I mean seriously, it's like Square does nothing else but JRPG's that can be clustered up into one attitude/mentality to be played no real variety.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 11:21:19 AM »
Oh wow, I played this once a looooooong time ago. If I remember correctly, there is a "Saw" weapon that was really hard to connect with, but was insta-kill or super-high damage if you did make the hit.

This looks to be such a huge upgrade that I'll be forced to pick it up. The original was a GB game, and was pretty ugly if you ask me.

Personally, though I had all three of the FF Legend games, I'd kind of be more interested in the first one. There's no continuity anyways, so they can always just remake them out-of-order.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 12:00:32 PM »
This is the only one of the three I didn't play to completion.  It was too much like the first one to keep my attention, even though I played it years later.  Still, if this comes to the U.S., I know a guy who still plays the original to this day (it's the ultimate portable stat-building game, apparently) who'll be interested.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 01:54:49 PM »
I played parts of the third SNES game once, that was interesting too...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 02:30:12 AM »
Final Fantasy Adventure was the best game under the Final Fantasy name on Game Boy, that's one I'd like to see reborn.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 02:35:24 AM »
If I remember correctly the Final Fantasy Adventure was the start of the Mana series.

Yeah you are right Decoyman. You could use the saws to defeat a bird and it gave you lots of money and experience.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 11:24:33 PM »
Yeah, you're right. And Final Fantasy Adventure has already been remade on the GBA as Sword of Mana.

I'm more forgiving of ports/remakes on DS, but I'm not that excited about this. At the same time, I remember wanting to play the Final Fantasy Legend games way back when; I just never got around to it. Then again, I don't want to pay the Square Enix tax.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 02:10:06 AM »
Final Fantasy Adventure has already been remade on the GBA as Sword of Mana.
Really? But... GameFAQs says it's the sequel to Secret of Mana. Did they remake Final Fantasy Adventure instead and pass it off as a sequel?  :o

I guess I'll have to look into it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 04:25:09 AM »
The sequel to Secret of Mana was Seiken Densetsu 3, wasn't it? I don't think that got a remake yet?

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 03:20:20 PM »
Final Fantasy Adventure has already been remade on the GBA as Sword of Mana.
Really? But... GameFAQs says it's the sequel to Secret of Mana. Did they remake Final Fantasy Adventure instead and pass it off as a sequel?  :o

I guess I'll have to look into it. Thanks for pointing it out.

GameFAQs is dumb.  Someone probably called it a sequel to Secret of Mana because it takes place later within the storyline (IIRC), but Sword of Mana is definitely a remake of Final Fantasy Adventure done in the style of the later Mana games.

Seiken Densetsu 3 should definitely be remade, not to mention actually brought outside of Japan.  I played a little of the fan translated rom, and it's really good.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 03:23:25 PM »
Final Fantasy Adventure = Sword of Mana = Seiken Densetsu 1

Seiken Densetsu 3 was ACTION-PACKED.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 08:38:51 PM »
So is this turn based, or Zelda-like in its battle system?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 08:51:02 PM »
I'm gonna guess that it is similar to Zelda.Much like Secret of Mana.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 03:23:53 PM »
The original is turn based.

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 04:31:03 PM »
UPB's right. FF Legend games were turn-based.

The FF Adventure games were the "Zelda-like" ones.

Twitter

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 04:51:23 PM »
Thanks for clarifying that UPB.
So this is a turn based RPG.Has anybody played this game previously or any games in the series? Maybe you can bring some insight to this game.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 05:35:37 PM »
Disclaimer: it's been a LOOOONG time since I've played these games, so some of the things I'm about to say may be off the mark.

I believe there are like 4 "classes" to form your party: Human, Mutant, Robot and Monster.

Humans and Mutants level up by normal means - getting exp. Robots level up by finding bolts and crap that monsters drop or something? Monsters "evolve" (change into another type of monster) by eating meat monsters drop - the stronger the enemy,  the stronger the monster you'll change into. Mutants are magic-users and learn it seemingly randomly (never did figure it out). Humans are kind of the all-around melee characters, and get better by leveling up and equipping better weapons and armor.

Weapons break after you use them a set number of times. Uhh... This isn't the tower one (FFL1 had this tower you climbed, and each level you went up, you got to a new world map. Some were in ruins, some were futuristic, some medieval, some were watery, I seem to remember them all being fairly different from each other, and each having its own story/problems you had to work through to get to the advance in the tower again), can't remember the premise of FFL2 right off. The first one also used a guild system where, if one of your people died permanently, you could just replace them at the guild with another character. I don't think this one carried on this system – I think you chose your characters for your party right from the beginning, and then they were with you the rest of the way, reviving them at town if they died (I prefer this way, so your party members feel less interchangeable and more memorable).

Uhh... I suppose we could just go to Gamefaqs, eh? :P (that seems to be a pretty good one)
Twitter

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 06:17:48 PM »
I may get some stuff confused with FFL 1, but I played FFL 2 and a friend, as I said, still plays it a lot.  I don't think there's experience.  In 1, you had to buy items to increase stats for humans, and mutants gained stats from actions in battle (i.e., use a heavy sword, strength goes up; defend [and get hit], defense goes up; use magic, mana goes up).  In 2, I think both mutants and humans improve stats that way.  Monsters and robots get more powerful by transforming into stronger monsters and robots by eating meat or attaching parts dropped by enemies.

The other big difference in classes are inventories.  You have a party inventory, and each character has an inventory.  Character inventories get filled up with equipped armor and weapons to use.  Humans have as many slots as the party inventory.  Mutants have at least four slots taken up by special powers (I think it's four free slots, four reserved slots).  They may be passive resistances (or even weaknesses), or they may be exceedingly awesome attacks.  In FFL 1, the powers changed randomly (or seemed to), which meant you could be kicking butt counting on your mutant's ability to rain death, then suddenly find yourself running from everything because your mutant has decided kicking but is too much trouble, and he'd rather develop the ability to die from a single fire attack.  In FFL 2, you have a little more control, but I don't know the details.  Finally, monsters and robots have no free inventory slots.  They're all reserved for special powers, even if the monster or robot doesn't actually have enough powers to fill them all.

The plot is fairly disjointed.  It starts with your adventurer father popping in to tell you something and then leaving again, for good.  After a while, you decide to go look for him.  You go to school, pick three classmates, and head off.  You climb some sort of thing from world to world.  FFL 1 had the tower to paradise, I know, but FFL 2 had something like a giant celestial rope or beanstalk.  The goal is to collect the pieces of a broken goddess statue before they fall into the wrong hands (I had to look up that part).  Each world has a subplot, usually with an NPC joining the party for a while.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 06:20:08 PM by UltimatePartyBear »