Author Topic: Official Club Nintendo Thread  (Read 504827 times)

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: Official Club Nintendo Thread
« Reply #250 on: March 31, 2009, 03:48:08 PM »
I'm still waiting for Nintendo to bring over the exclusive Club Nintendo-only soundtrack CDs they have in Japan, as that's really the only swag Nintendo could offer on the service I'd give a damn about.  I know Mario Galaxy had one, but it'd be nice if there were a Twilight Princess one as well.

you don't have that music already ? It's not that hard to find ...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #251 on: March 31, 2009, 04:01:17 PM »
I'm still waiting for Nintendo to bring over the exclusive Club Nintendo-only soundtrack CDs they have in Japan, as that's really the only swag Nintendo could offer on the service I'd give a damn about.  I know Mario Galaxy had one, but it'd be nice if there were a Twilight Princess one as well.

I think he meant through legit, legal ways. Of coarse the music for the game is available online if you want it, but most people prefer to legally own their music.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 31, 2009, 05:27:40 PM »

I think he meant through legit, legal ways. Of coarse the music for the game is available online if you want it, but most people prefer to legally own their music.

Exactly.  Besides, the CD player in my car (When it works.  Right now it doesn't) doesn't like burned CDs and tends to refuse to read them randomly after a few spins.  I like to have legal copies of all my music.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #253 on: March 31, 2009, 06:45:01 PM »
I rip my game music now.  Since I own the game, extracting its contents for my private use is OK.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 31, 2009, 06:50:19 PM »
Is that easy to do with Wii games?  I tried to rip music from some PS games, but I couldn't ever get what I wanted.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 31, 2009, 07:06:39 PM »
It's easy to rip music from games, all you need is an audio cable for your PC's Audio In jack. You can then use the Windows generic Sound Recorder program to record it, although it will be a .wav file. You'll need some other program to convert it to MP3 or something if you so desire. The sound quality is likely dependent on your sound card however.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #256 on: March 31, 2009, 08:10:18 PM »
That is not "ripping," that is "capturing."  Ripping only, only refers to digital processes.

We're talking about extracting the contents of the game disc to convert its native audio files.

I don't have the means to rip data off my own discs, therefore I just download the 4GB Wii game ISO dumps from shady places.  After that, I use some special programs and plugins to get the media I want.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 31, 2009, 08:26:32 PM »
What's the difference really? Either way you have the music files on your computer and can do whatever you want with them. They would probably end up of better quality than any "rip" you could download off of the Internet (at least in my experience they do).

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 31, 2009, 08:57:07 PM »
What's the difference really? Either way you have the music files on your computer and can do whatever you want with them. They would probably end up of better quality than any "rip" you could download off of the Internet (at least in my experience they do).

Frankly, I don't condone either unless the people who make the game give players no other alternative.  The sheer number of game OSTs I'd buy if they were only put up for sale...but I digress.  The difference between the two is that capturing is making a recorded copy of a file and ripping is taking the file itself and converting it to a form that can be used by other media players.  In general, when it comes to digital media you always want to be working with the original instead of a copy, because even the most perfect copy is at heart a copy and contains a flaw or defect somewhere in the process.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #259 on: March 31, 2009, 09:00:41 PM »
"Ripping" was adopted ahead of the early stages of the mp3 era to describe the digital extraction of audio data from CDs.  Hooking up audio cables to capture audio was never called "ripping," and it was shunned/avoided because of the quality loss that's inherent in basic RCA-analog audio capture.  People wanted "rips" cuz they knew they'd be getting [close to] an exact copy of the audio content without quality loss.

Ripping was later extended to the process of extracting DVD data, and not related to recording video played from a DVD player.  Since ripping is largely a computer process, it's much faster to rip data than it is to "press play" and wait for a movie to manually record onto another platform.

"Capturing," on computers specifically, is recording content from a live source, where something is copied/recorded "as it happens" -- acting a scene, talking to a microphone, or playing in-game music.  Capture is derived from the traditional phrase "captured on film," which is related, or the bridge between "capture a wild animal" and "caught on tape."

On a side note, recording stuff onto magnetic cassette tapes (stereo or VHS) was called "dubbing" (no clue).

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #260 on: March 31, 2009, 09:07:30 PM »
Both Battalion Wars games and Twilight Princess don't have official "complete" (or sufficiently complete) soundtracks, so I made my own.

Another plus to ripping the music is I find UNUSED/HIDDEN music tracks you never hear during gameplay.  killer7 has a handful of tracks not on the "complete" CD OST, and Resident Evil The Umbrella Chronicles includes the Mario Kart Double Dash theme, and has tracks named for Leon but were used on Wesker instead.

In a unique case like Super Mario Galaxy, I can listen to individual music layers or combine them to my heart's content, cuz they can be extracted individually.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 31, 2009, 09:45:19 PM »
Frankly, I don't condone either unless the people who make the game give players no other alternative.  The sheer number of game OSTs I'd buy if they were only put up for sale...but I digress.
I'd buy official OSTs if they existed but the stuff I wanted was from NES, Super NES, and Nintendo 64 games. I know there are a few official N64 CD's but they weren't from the game I wanted. Also, not sure if this will mean anything to you but I have never distributed any of the music I captured to anyone else.

Rips must loose quality at some point along the way because the few which I downloaded didn't sound as good quality as the ones I captured myself. That's actually why I started capturing instead, because the rips I found didn't sound as crisp as the source.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #262 on: March 31, 2009, 10:24:27 PM »
"Rips must loose quality at some point along the way"

Yes, after MP3/WMA/iTunes/YouTube compression, which people can easily fumble.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #263 on: April 01, 2009, 10:04:17 AM »
Ok, let's not derail this topic into shady grounds. Please take it to PMs if you must continue the convo.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 03, 2009, 03:27:09 PM »
Apparently when I did the survey for Excitebots:Trick Racing they gave me the intent to purchase credit, 50 coins for the survey, and post play credit all at once. Pretty weird if you ask me.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 03, 2009, 07:34:29 PM »
Sometimes that happens to me as well. Once I think I got 10 extra free coins because when I registered Pokemon Platinum my total went up 50 coins. I had checked the intend to buy option but where did the other 10 come from? Or was it pure coincidence from a VC/WW game that came in near the same moment?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 07, 2009, 11:21:28 AM »
What the hell is wrong with the Club. It's been out for 3 days now, and here I am trying to register Excitebutts.

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #267 on: May 12, 2009, 11:50:03 PM »
I just did the math- I have enough games to register and post-plays to fill out that I'll have platinum status for the next Club Nintendo year on day one!  I wonder what our special summer gift will be this year?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 13, 2009, 12:10:33 AM »
I just did the math- I have enough games to register and post-plays to fill out that I'll have platinum status for the next Club Nintendo year on day one!  I wonder what our special summer gift will be this year?

Ditto for me.  And that's after racking up 2,400+ points that are setting there, unredeemed, taunting me... I want to order everything.  But I know, the moment I do, they'll throw something awesome on there like the Famicom Player II Game Boy micro face plate or something.

le sigh.

But yeah, I'll have next year's platinum covered on Day 1 as well.  Wonder if I'll have *next* next year's covered by the time it rolls around as well.

Who am I kidding?  I might as well mail Nintendo a $600 check right now.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Invincible Donkey Kong

• DK Crew. HUH!
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 13, 2009, 12:52:55 AM »
You've been a great customer.  For 3000 points I can punt you.  That's a summer gift to last a lifetime. :reggie:
Buy Zap's perler bead art!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/NewDonkCityVending

Operation: Get Zap a Switch GoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/get-zap-a-switch

Summer of Donk ~ 2017 Twitch meetups! ~ DKC2
https://www.twitch.tv/zapr2k

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 13, 2009, 08:13:45 AM »
Don't taunt me.  With the points I have and the points I'm holding, I could afford that.  Does the punting include a trip out to Nintendo HQ? :)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #271 on: May 13, 2009, 09:19:01 AM »
Why is there nothing new to buy yet?

Also, am I the only one not doing all the surveys because I've already reached platinum status for the year and they don't expire for like 4 years?  I want to make sure I can be platinum next year too. =P

Unless, of course, something else comes up that I want.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #272 on: May 13, 2009, 09:20:21 AM »
Hah just re-read bob's post... sounds like he does the same. =P
---------------------

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 13, 2009, 09:23:38 AM »
Also, am I the only one not doing all the surveys because I've already reached platinum status for the year and they don't expire for like 4 years?  I want to make sure I can be platinum next year too. =P

No, Pale, you're not alone...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 13, 2009, 11:18:32 AM »
I was sitting on enough to become Platinum status in the first place. Next round of purchases start when WSR comes out (When does PO come out?).
The timer resets in June right?