Author Topic: A interesting rant from a game journalist  (Read 6516 times)

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: A interesting rant from a game journalist
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 01:54:40 PM »
Source

Quote from:  Jeremy Parish's 1up blog
It makes me angry that reviewers actually called GTAIV's narrative "Oscar worthy," because (1) no, it really wasn't and you guys seriously need to go and watch a good movie, OK?; and (2) that kind of empty praise is just going to encourage Rockstar to keep focusing on the sloppy, poorly-written pulp noir aspects of their creations to the detriment of the part that actually makes GTA unique and fun: the gameplay.

Nice to see I wasn't the only one irritated by Hillary Goldstein's review.  What a complete and utter tool!  Seriously dude, "Oscar worthy"??

I really like most of the guys at IGN, I don't know how they work around that dude without blasting him in the face.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 06:24:17 PM »
the time limit was restricting.
Reverse Song of Time, where are you?
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 12:50:11 AM »
He has some good points but completely loses me at the end. He's basically echoing Miyamoto's philosophy of emphasising fun gameplay over presentation. This includes graphics but also everything that detracts from the game. Metal Gear, if you look closely, is pseudo-intellectual pretentious garbage dressed up as a solemn social commentary. The funniest part about the game comes in realising that Kojima actually thinks he's being insightful. I don't think I'll ever support style over substance in a game, unless it really blows me away (like Eternal Darkness).

But this argument falls apart when 1) he insults Nintendo's Wii games and 2) he names Dragon Quest X of all games as the one to bridge the gap between hardcore and casual gamers. Both these points are shattered by the existence of Mario Galaxy which is "steeped in the traditional vocabulary of video games, but with broad appeal" more than any other current gen game.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig