Author Topic: Metroid Prime 2 Poll at Nintendo.com  (Read 12364 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
Metroid Prime 2 Poll at Nintendo.com
« on: April 08, 2003, 08:25:19 PM »
What do you want to see in the Prime sequel?  Nintendo wants to know!

Right now, Nintendo.com's gamepage for Metroid Prime 2 is a bit empty.  Naturally, the game has just been revealed, and no info is available yet.  That won't stop Nintendo from asking the people what they want, though.

Further down the page, there is a poll asking readers what they'd want to see in the next game.  More GBA Connectivity?  A sidescroller?  Perhaps multiplayer or a tougher, longer game?  Well, you can only pick one (unless you clear your cookies and vote again), so go vote!

Hopefully, Retro and Nintendo will have some info about the new Samus adventure at E3, which is just a month away.

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Duriez

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 09:22:49 PM »
I want a longer and more challenging adventure.  That's the one thing that Metriod Prime had going against it in my opinion.  MP multiplayer wouldn't work IMHO, and I'm not really big on this whole GCN/GBA connectivity.  For a game like MP, I don't think they should try to fiddle with connectivity.  I definitely don't want it to go 2D again.  

Offline sycomonkey

• View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2003, 09:49:18 PM »
I agree.  Multiplayer Metroid is just wrong on so many different levels.  2D-Metroid can be done on the GBA just fine (especially with the GBA player coming out soon).  I really am quite a fan of the connectivity thing, but it's not nearly as important as real gameplay.  Hard Mode was great.   MP2 should have, like, "Harder Mode" .  Something that's nearly impossible.

And yes, please, make it longer.  MP was pretty long compared to most of today's games, but then again when you've got Nintendo releasing 10 hr. games (coughtPIKMINcough) then there's something wrong.
I find the lack of sig images annoying. I have this nice image I use as my sig in all my other forums and I can't use it here.  So instead I'll just complain...

The universe will not be altered by forum threads, even those which are very wry. --Tycho Brahe (Penny Arcade)

Offline freak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 09:57:47 PM »
yeah i agree it needs to be a bit longer.  also they should change the controls make it like the ones on halo and take off the lock on thing maybe.

Offline Joshums

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 09:58:36 PM »
Everyone vote for a side-scroller!
Ph33r teh Joshums!!!11

Offline sycomonkey

• View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2003, 10:10:55 PM »
NO!  DO NOT REMOVE THE LOCK ON!

That would completely ruin the game and make it another mindless FPS.  We don't need another mindless FPS.

Metroid Prime is so great because it's not a first person shooter, but rather a first person adventure.   The emphisis being not on the shooting, but rather the puzzles, exploration, and plot.  If you remove the lock on feature, it's liable to just become another fragfest.  I mean... Imagine trying to play 3D Zelda without a lock-on.
I find the lack of sig images annoying. I have this nice image I use as my sig in all my other forums and I can't use it here.  So instead I'll just complain...

The universe will not be altered by forum threads, even those which are very wry. --Tycho Brahe (Penny Arcade)

Offline the_wenzel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2003, 10:14:43 PM »
omg... people are voting for multiplayer!!! how can that be winning right now?!? that would screw the whole series. Metroid is NOT a multiplayer type game. it was never meant to be, a cooperative mode would be pushing it... but this is NOT nintendo's Halo and never meant to be, MP was a perfect transition from 2d to 3d for this series, controls and all. leave it how it is, just make it longer and harder, c'mon people... sheesh.
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.

Offline freak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2003, 10:45:17 PM »
you got a point that's what makes the game good is the puzzels and stuff.  the only thing i realy hate about the control thing is you can't look down when your jumping of ledges also how you have to stop to aim up.

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2003, 11:34:19 PM »
Hey! What about Kraid? That would be so nice! He is so big. It would make a cool bossfight dont you think? And theres a monster i miss, if you scan the rumbling container (its in the room with the fall of zebes log entry) you will see a little pic of that monster! Its a classic! Why didn't it make it to the game?
Metroid Prime is the best game ever created

Offline Wesisapie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2003, 12:53:02 AM »
can't people forget multiplayer? i've been multiplaying on consoles and PC for years , but i've become quite sick of it to tell you the truth. everyone forgets about single player
i voted for more connectivity.
Fin.

Offline Otacon305

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2003, 02:11:28 AM »
I thought alot about multiplayer and it could be done. That's what I voted for.
The darkness becomes us all...
www.infinityforums.com/forums

Offline DarkORB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2003, 04:30:00 AM »
Metroid multiplayer would just turn out to be a bunch of people all locked on to one another, circular straifing eachother hoping to get a shot in.  I don't think the "lock on" feature works well for multiplayer.  I would vote longer harder, but nintendos site is down.

Offline cmoney

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2003, 04:44:05 AM »
Multiplayer wouldn't work for Prime because of the lock-on feature.

BUT, I'm sure they'd be able to find a way around this with a few changes in the control scheme.

You people worry too much.

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2003, 05:19:12 AM »
If you think this MP@ Multiplayer debate is bad, don't look at th one over at Gamefaqs. People seems to think that Metroid should be like Halo or Half-Life.

You see Nintendo? You see what happens when you release games in 8-year intervals? You create more N*WBIES!!!!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2003, 07:04:22 AM »
I voted for connectivity though really I don't absolutely require it.  It's just what I would like to see the most out of the four options.  What I really would like to see is Samus move faster.  I hate getting killed because I can't turn around fast enough.

The fact that multiplayer is winning shows how many philistines, who have no clue what Metroid is, bought Metroid Prime.  Nintendo should just make a different FPS to shut up all the "I've been playing games since 1997" retards who think that every game played in a first person view has to play the same.  If you showed these people the original Phantasy Star they would probably ask "where's the multiplayer?"

Of course it might not really mean anything.  I know people who want multiplayer Zelda for no specific reason at all.  "Multiplayer's always better."

Offline NiteWalker

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2003, 07:09:54 AM »
Metroid Prime was a 10 to start with.  To me the only way to improve a 10 is to give it  more of everything that made it a 10.  In MP's case:  longer, harder, more weapons/gadgets to use etc.   Multiplayer- No.  Connectivity- Give everything with or without. Without it just a bit more of a challenge to unlock it(having to beat MP on hard to play the original Metroid for example). 2D- There is the gameboy Advance/Player for that. Longer more challenging adventure- Bingo. I want the Screw attack back!
My Games
--------------------------------------------
I Stand Alone

Offline ZombieX

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2003, 07:14:38 AM »
I'm sure if Retro and Nintendo decide to add a multiplayer mode to the sequel, they will find a way to make it work perfectly.  How can anyone doubt the talents of Retro after the amazing Metroid Prime?  I have full confidence that Retro will develop an even better game in the sequel.

Also for all those oppose to multiplayer, if the sequel does include this option, just don't play it if it offends you so much.  Don't try to deny those who would appreciate multiplayer, the chance to enjoy it.  And by looking at that poll on Nintendo.com, it seems the majority of Metroid fans do want to experience multiplayer Metroid.
***The Nintendo Difference***

Offline ZombieX

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2003, 07:19:42 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
The fact that multiplayer is winning shows how many philistines, who have no clue what Metroid is, bought Metroid Prime...I know people who want multiplayer Zelda for no specific reason at all.

I disagree completely.  People said the same thing when word spread about multiplayer Zelda in Four Swords.  When that game was released and eveyone saw how incredible multiplayer Zelda was, all the earlier complaints about "multiplayer Zelda" went away.

***The Nintendo Difference***

Offline NiteWalker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2003, 07:33:01 AM »
Zelda was also 2D.  It's easier to make a multiplayer 2D than 3D.  3D has lots more physics that must be applied.  True though,  we don't have to play the multiplayer option.  But I wouldn't want Retro doing a half hearted attempt(DK64), but rather a in depth one(Perfect Dark).
My Games
--------------------------------------------
I Stand Alone

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2003, 07:50:52 AM »
I was tempted to say "2D", there should be more 2D games on these next-gen consoles. But MP was so great in 3D... I chose longer/more challenging.

"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline LOP Posse

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2003, 09:17:21 AM »
I personally would be disapointed if all retro and nintendo did was make another game exactly like MP 1 but longer and harder.  I'm confident though that the will make significant and creative revisions to make MP 2 just as innovative as MP 1.  I agree that multiplayer or taking away the lock on to try and make mp a halo clone(although I wouldn't mind a new franchise creating a grade A fps) would be sacriledge.  I do think samus should have faster response to the analog stick.  I also think dual analog would be a good idea (hear me out now)  Dual analog would allow a greater ability to look around and explore.  I personally found it annoying to have to stop everytime I wanted to look around.  THis would also allow greater visibility of the platforms.  Because of the additional skill in controlling, more skill would be required.  I'm not suggesting changing mp into a fps shoot'em up, Lock on should definately be kept, keeping the emphasis on being a first person adventure.  As far as switching beams, I propose retro adopt a system similar to EA's bond, where up and down pn the d-pad could cycle through beams and left and right could cycle through visors.  Also, please get all the bugs out before releasing the game this time.  I swear every time I tried to access the map, the game froze.  I hope Nintendo doesn't bow to the ignorance of the masses to make it a multiplayer, but keep it an adventure game like unto the first metroids I loved so much.
"Word to your moms, I came to drop bombs, I've got more rymes than the Bible's got Psalms."

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2003, 09:26:49 AM »
Longer and more challenging as well as new upgrades. Screw Attack kewl

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2003, 09:42:54 AM »
Multiplayer.  
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2003, 11:34:27 AM »
i put the side scrolling answer (which is currently in 3rd....)
i am a little dissapointed at the results- i hope if any of them win besides sidescrolling it would be the longer more harder quest one
i dont need multiplayer in everygame i must own
personally metroid isnt suited for it and i just dont want it in there
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2003, 11:46:21 AM »
Since three of the four options in the poll sucked, I said make it more longer and challenging.  I know that is pretty much standard fare in a sequel, but none of the other options will really add to the Metroid world.

Multiplayer, in the style of fragfests, would actually degrade Prime.  Nintendo has stated that the game is a FPA, not an FPS.  Unless Retro could think up of some clever way to install multiplayer that uses the core elements of the series (much as how Zelda: The Four Swords did), then it wouldn't be such a bad option.  However, I doubt the GCN can handle co-op with Prime's lively environment.  

I don't see much for the GBA-GC connection.  The furthest Retro could go with that idea is probably Nintendo's way in the Wind Waker.  A friend will play as a helpful character (Adam, anyone?) and will help the friend who is actually playing Prime through the journey.  Even if that is implemented, that still would not be such a big option.  I don't hear many people talking about the Tingle connectivity in Wind Waker.

2D perspective?  This is probably the second-best choice in the poll.  I would not mind this option, but sales of MP2 will then be poor and, as many people have stated, this is better on the GBA.

In my personal opinion, I would like to have the controls changed as well.  Miyamoto's setup was a good idea, but it proved to be uncomfortable at times.  I remember fighting Flaahgra and taking unneccesary damage due to the awkward control setup.  I was unable to evade Flaahgra's bitch-ass tentacles and that almost screwed me over a couple times.  Believe it or not, I think it would be better if the FPS setup was adopted the game.  That way, I could walk and look around as well as fight enemies a little easier.  

Still though, it is bound to be great.  Even if the game is a rehashed version of Prime, it would still remain one of the best titles in the GCN library.  

Textand
I got some killaz on my payroll.