Author Topic: Soul Calibur IV First Impressions  (Read 19136 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Soul Calibur IV First Impressions
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2008, 06:54:52 PM »
I'm a rampant completionist, so I'm tempted to get the special edition just for the extra costume choices. No, seriously, it's a sickness.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2008, 07:16:51 PM »
I'm a rampant completionist, so I'm tempted to get the special edition just for the extra costume choices. No, seriously, it's a sickness.

I bought the limited edition and you get:
- A shiny metal box
- A poster/tournament card
- A t-shirt
- An XBOX Live points card that lets you download extra costumes and lets you use Soul Calibur and Soul Edge in their true forms
- A mini comic book/art book

Frankly, its better than most of the limited editions out there ;) .
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2008, 07:33:15 PM »
Goddamn, I'm in it for the costumes and the "true forms" of Soul Calibur and Soul Edge. I don't give two craps about the tourney card--I don't have enough friends to host a proper tournament. The comic book sounds cool, though.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2008, 07:34:40 PM »
The Apprentice is totally ridiculous.  He's way too hard, I can roll through Story mode with every other character.  With Vader, you roll through everybody just like every other time, but then The Apprentice is virtually impossible to beat.  He blocks everything and then combos you to death.

The Limited Edition is cool, but probably not necessary.  About the most exclusive thing you get is a code to download now new costume stuff that you don't get in the normal edition, but it's nothing amazing.  You also get a t-shirt, tournament poster, marker to use on the tournament poster, and a comic book.  I think that's it.  I'm like GP, I always get Limited Editions, but I don't think it's mandatory for Soulcalibur IV.

Does this mean I'm a more serious gamer than Lindy because I beat the Apprentice? ;)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2008, 07:38:04 PM »
The Apprentice is totally ridiculous.  He's way too hard, I can roll through Story mode with every other character.  With Vader, you roll through everybody just like every other time, but then The Apprentice is virtually impossible to beat.  He blocks everything and then combos you to death.

The Limited Edition is cool, but probably not necessary.  About the most exclusive thing you get is a code to download now new costume stuff that you don't get in the normal edition, but it's nothing amazing.  You also get a t-shirt, tournament poster, marker to use on the tournament poster, and a comic book.  I think that's it.  I'm like GP, I always get Limited Editions, but I don't think it's mandatory for Soulcalibur IV.

Does this mean I'm a more serious gamer than Lindy because I beat the Apprentice? ;)

Beating the Apprentice with Yoda is a pain, but not impossible. I beat him on my first try. Grabs are your best friend ;) .
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2008, 02:13:49 AM »
no the apprentice is just a snag in my money grab, he's just out of place difficult. He's harder then facing a person. Like said above, he blocks everything and then he combos you endlessly. The only way to beat him is to fall back and wait for him to attack you, but thats problematic because he has distanced energy attacks. With mitsurugi, iv beaten him, but once. I kick his ass like no problem with siegfried, but i kick everybody's ass with seigfried
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2008, 04:03:35 AM »
i like the armor breaking ability, but overall it seems like a pretty rehash. I quickly got into the game as I owned SC2 on cube.

I actually outgrew the ring outs, I think they are cheap now compared to Dead or Alive, and I think Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe does it right.

yoda is ok, but i tended to jump forward and off stage.

It's odd because some of the characters I know are different than before. Lizardman and Kilik feel so different from SC2.

both are much slower.

i can care less about making own characters. I really won't miss it not being on Wii.

I'm actually more jealous of Mortal Kombat Vs. DC universe. As much as people love to hate Mortal Kombat I think this game is shaping up very well and seems pretty innovative and cool, where soul calibur pretty much is 85% the same game it has been for almost 10 years.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2008, 04:16:31 AM »
i like the armor breaking ability, but overall it seems like a pretty rehash. I quickly got into the game as I owned SC2 on cube.

I actually outgrew the ring outs, I think they are cheap now compared to Dead or Alive, and I think Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe does it right.

yoda is ok, but i tended to jump forward and off stage.

It's odd because some of the characters I know are different than before. Lizardman and Kilik feel so different from SC2.

both are much slower.

i can care less about making own characters. I really won't miss it not being on Wii.

I'm actually more jealous of Mortal Kombat Vs. DC universe. As much as people love to hate Mortal Kombat I think this game is shaping up very well and seems pretty innovative and cool, where soul calibur pretty much is 85% the same game it has been for almost 10 years.

Remember kids, Mr.Vega is talking about a HARDCORE title! The kind that are missing on the Wii!

*Thumbs up!

Perception is perception, but MK vs. DC is HARDLY original. It looks to play like the recent 3D MK games. The falling stage trick has been in the games since Deception. The brutalities were available in Ultimate Mortal Kombat. The engine looks to be the same as in the earlier 3D fighters. The only thing innovative about MK vs. DC is the crossover, simply because no one expected Batman to beat the crap out of Sub Zero.

It should be a dumb fighter to enjoy, but hardly an original one.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2008, 04:41:28 AM »
Hahahahahah, if MAV doesn't like SC4 and thinks MK vs DC will be totally sweet...

Well, nobody tell him anything, okay? Maybe he'll play it and stop posting for a while.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2008, 11:45:10 AM »

Mortal Kombat's only real low point was Mortal Kombat 4 and Special Forces. Armageddon was especially promising after the buildup from Deadly Alliance and Deception. This new MK vs. DC looks to introduce plenty of interesting new mechanics, but really just feels lamely out of place with the superheroes there.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2008, 02:19:37 PM »
Mother F*cker! Every joint in town is sold out of the Limited Edition, and none of them can tell me if they're getting any more copies in. New question: Should I try to get the Limited Edition online and pay what's going to be a ridiculous shipping cost to Alaska, or should I just pray that Namco gives me some DLC in the future?

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2008, 02:21:30 PM »
The only problem with MK4 was that it was totally broken by a few characters. With Raiden I could do his flying torpedo move over and over and still hit my enemy even if they were on the ground. I believe this also applied for Lui Kang and his over kick. If you decided not to play like a cheap ass, it was a fairly enjoyable game and an interesting transition into 3D for the series.

I wasn't too big a fan of Deadly Alliance, but I think Armageddon and Deception were both spectacular and easily eclipsed 4.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2008, 09:19:50 PM »
Sorry to bump this thread, but I was wondering...

I want to get the "armor destroyer" achievement. What's the quickest way of destroying an opponent's armor? Which is the best character to use in order to get this achievement?

Also, how in the HELL do you perform the fatality like finisher? I read the guide more than once and I just don't understand.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2008, 12:29:43 AM »
Now I haven't really played the game much, but it sounds like you could just start a VS match and hold down the other players guard button while you hit their armor.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2008, 06:39:35 PM »
You can't do the achievements in local vs modes. You have to do it online or in any of the single-player modes (including the tower).

I got the armor destroyer one in the tower level around 43, the one where they take almost no damage.

Also, how in the HELL do you perform the fatality like finisher? I read the guide more than once and I just don't understand.
You hit their guard until it breaks with a red flash, then you hit ABKG all together. Their life bar flashes red to give you a heads up when it's close to breaking.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2008, 11:14:22 AM »
Finally, Darth Vader and Yoda will be released as DLC.  I love how they say it's due to "overwhelming fan response" and not the fact that they, you know, planned it this way from the very beginning.

---------------------------------------------------------------
NAMCO BANDAI GAMES STRIKES BACK WITH NEW DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT FOR SOULCALIBUR® IV

Fan Reaction Prompts Acclaimed Fighting Franchise to Deliver New Content Fan Reaction Prompts Acclaimed Fighting Franchise to Deliver New Content From a Galaxy Far Far Away

Santa Clara, Calif., (October 17, 2008) – Due to overwhelming fan response, NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc., today revealed that Sith Lord Darth Vader and Jedi Master Yoda will be downloadable characters for Soulcalibur® IV on Thursday, October 23 from Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and the PLAYSTATION®Network for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. Once console exclusive characters, players will soon be able to pit these adversaries against each other for the true epic battle between dark and light. Soulcalibur® IV has shipped millions of units worldwide since its July 29 launch and continues to win audiences over with its rich gaming experience and robust feature set.

Set to reveal the origins of this ongoing story, Soulcalibur IV features new and familiar faces from across the galaxy who seeks the rival swords for their own ambitions. The line-up of weapon-wielding fighters grows as new characters add to the mythos including Hilde, a striking armor-clad warrior who wields a short sword and spear. In addition to the iconic Star Wars characters, the Secret Apprentice from LucasArts’ STAR WARS®: The Force Unleashed™ also makes an appearance as a guest character for both Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION 3 system.

Retooled from the ground up, Soulcalibur IV perfects its highly celebrated weapons-based fighting system with stunning high definition graphics and new gameplay mechanics. Adding to the depth of combat, players can now destroy protective armor; weakening their enemy’s resolve and unleash Critical Finish moves to defeat opponents in one spectacular blow. Also new to the series is the ability to battle online against players from around the world using customized characters or fan favorites to challenges others for global domination.

Soulcalibur IV is rated “T” for Teen by the ESRB and is currently available in stores for a suggested MSRP of $59.99. The downloadable characters will be available for 400 Microsoft Points on Xbox LIVE Marketplace for Xbox 360 and $4.99 on the PLAYSTATION Network. For more information please visit: www.soulcalibur.com or http://www.namcobandaigames.com.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2008, 02:06:12 PM »
Five dollars for work that was already completed during the normal development cycle. Five dollars for something that is already on the disc. Hrrnrndndddrrrrrr

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2008, 02:21:23 PM »
Five dollars for ONE (already on the disc) character?! Wow, scamco indeed.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
Finally, Darth Vader and Yoda will be released as DLC.  I love how they say it's due to "overwhelming fan response" and not the fact that they, you know, planned it this way from the very beginning.

Hahahaha, oh Scamco...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Gylldas

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2008, 01:52:39 AM »

Hahahaha, oh Scamco...

Gotta love 'em.

Don't think I'll be picking up Yoda anytime soon for $5.  I could buy a new game (a crappy one) off the PSN for that amount sadly.
Wii #: 4257-3057-1441-3307   MKart: 2578-3513-8937
Brawl: 4468-0638-0667           City Folk: 4296-6475-9060(Mike/Seacrest)

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2008, 03:43:14 AM »
Yoda is also the worst, least-fun-to-play character in the game

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2008, 04:00:23 PM »
Yoda hit the PSN yesterday, and I had to pick him up. I hate that blank space on the roster. I imagine Darth is on XBL, too.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2008, 05:54:46 PM »
I bought Yoda as well.  Namco, I curse you for raking advantage of my completist ways.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2008, 06:14:23 PM »
Hahahahah

Enjoy your terrible, useless character

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2008, 06:20:31 PM »
I laughed, cried, and kissed 5 bucks goodbye.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog