Author Topic: For Nintendo, 'Beer' is Too Strong for Wii Owners  (Read 12036 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Re: For Nintendo, 'Beer' is Too Strong for Wii Owners
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 11:40:09 AM »
People are really crying foul here and that's just silly.  I'm more appalled that a sh*tty beer pong simulation that most likely sucks is getting this much press.

Also, I highly doubt Nintendo did this as a "parenting" maneuver.  It was most likely a cost benefit analysis.  What will effect the company more? Bad press about drinking games on our system, or the sales this game will pull in?  I wouldn't let this out if I were running Nintendo.

Now if it was something like... Hideo Kojima's Beer Pong, then the conversation would probably go a bit differently.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 11:57:59 AM »
Nothing stopping you from drinking beers while playing the game anyway.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 01:01:32 PM »
Don't jump on the hating Nintendo Bandwagon The news media and ESRB  and such had more to do with this change.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,377421,00.html

I saw this coming a long time ago, so no surprised.

Nintendo saw the controversy and acted before it got in trouble and protestors.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 01:04:21 PM by Mr. Adolph Vega »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 04:10:37 PM »
So... is censorship a good business decision for Nintendo or a bad one?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 04:19:13 PM »
Classifying this as censorship and thus trying to put it on the same level in people's minds as say, refusing any conservative viewpoint in a game, is the poor decision.

Wii is their product.  Beer could be a public relations nightmare.  The game most likely sucks.

The decision makes itself.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2008, 04:24:36 PM »
So it's not about censorship at all! It's about... money. *sigh*

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2008, 04:28:53 PM »
It was always about money.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2008, 04:31:40 PM »
Censorship is a bad decision for Nintendo because the censors never stop.  They're like bullies.  You have to stand your ground.  If you give in once they'll expect to do it the next time and the next time.

Did you know that Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii is not arcade perfect while the PS2 version is and it's not because of the controls?  Apparently their is some white flash that indicates something is taking damage that is intact on the PS2 but removed from the Wii version.  Why?  Because Nintendo let those incredibly stupid seizure bullies get their way.  Nintendo asked them to compromise the Wii version because they were afraid the flash would cause seizures.  Even though every Nintendo system has a big ass warning about seizures which should absolve them from all responsibility.  That's not censorship of objectionable content but it's still someone else bossing around Nintendo.  Nintendo has to be their own company, not some censor's.

Videogames are unjustly under attack and the industry has to have the balls to stand firm.  Stuff like the ESRB giving in over the GTA hot coffee thing for example was a huge mistake.  It showed the watchdogs that they can make stupid unreasonable demands and have them granted.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2008, 04:41:26 PM »
Well then these guys should be the ones standing up for what they believe!  They should pull their game from WiiWare and release it on PC!  Then they can do whatever they want!  They can even put in drunk girls that flash you every time you score!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 04:43:24 PM by Pale »
---------------------

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2008, 04:42:07 PM »
Censorship is a bad decision for Nintendo because the censors never stop.  They're like bullies.  You have to stand your ground.  If you give in once they'll expect to do it the next time and the next time.

Did you know that Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii is not arcade perfect while the PS2 version is and it's not because of the controls?  Apparently their is some white flash that indicates something is taking damage that is intact on the PS2 but removed from the Wii version.  Why?  Because Nintendo let those incredibly stupid seizure bullies get their way.  Nintendo asked them to compromise the Wii version because they were afraid the flash would cause seizures.  Even though every Nintendo system has a big ass warning about seizures which should absolve them from all responsibility.  That's not censorship of objectionable content but it's still someone else bossing around Nintendo.  Nintendo has to be their own company, not some censor's.

Videogames are unjustly under attack and the industry has to have the balls to stand firm.  Stuff like the ESRB giving in over the GTA hot coffee thing for example was a huge mistake.  It showed the watchdogs that they can make stupid unreasonable demands and have them granted.

we all saw that episode of southpark Ian, no need for all the words
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2008, 04:49:04 PM »
Well then these guys should be the ones standing up for what they believe!  They should pull their game from WiiWare and release it on PC!  Then they can do whatever they want!  They can even put in drunk girls that flash you every time you score!

I played the Guy Game! ... uh... yeah... it had... one good, no GREAT, minigame?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2008, 04:51:41 PM »

I played the Guy Game! ... uh... yeah... it had... one good, no GREAT, minigame?

I still remember the one time my brother and his friend played the game for hours and then as they were closing in on unlocking full views of breasts, the power went out.
It didn't save.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2008, 05:05:43 PM »
LOL what a waste of time. Plenty of free breasts and much much more online.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2008, 05:07:08 PM »
I think you all missed my sarcastic point.  =P
---------------------

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2008, 09:09:29 PM »
NOA Strikes again.  Going back to there restrictive ways.  Remember,

Espresso Is NOT For Kids!

This could be next.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2008, 10:10:48 PM »
We should lower the drinking age in America to 13 and have MORE censorship, That way EVERYBODY WINS.

Seriously though its not like this game is actually worthy of being upset over. If they took out blood from The Conduit or something than I would be upset. So no more beer in a game I had no intentions in buying and laughed at the idea it existed. Bfffffffff
I understand standing up to principles but you got to pick the right battles
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 10:13:57 PM by Mr. Adolph Vega »

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2008, 11:26:52 PM »
Now if it was something like... Hideo Kojima's Beer Pong, then the conversation would probably go a bit differently.
Hideo Kojima presents a Hideo Kojima game. Written and directed by Hideo Kojima at Kojima productions. Hideo Kojima's Beer Pong, as endorsed and played by Kojima productions writer and directer Hideo Kojima.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2009, 12:56:32 PM »
Hey guys, this isn't censorship, it's simply Nintendo's guidelines as a publisher that controls all of WuuWare.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2009, 01:09:11 PM »
I'm extremely late to this conversation, but with all the news reports about viruses & sickness being spread thanks to Beer Pong, would playing it in videogame mode help stop the unnecessary spread of floor dirt flu and herpes simplex sloppy seconds?

It could be the preferred way to play in dorms & frat houses across the nations campuses.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2009, 01:50:37 PM »
I don't think there's a light way to play.  It's "Give each other SWINE Flu or Bust," all-or-nothing.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2009, 02:16:14 PM »
I don't think there's a light way to play.  It's "Give each other SWINE Flu or Bust," all-or-nothing.

Yeah, ya p*ssy!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2009, 06:37:14 PM »
You could play using water instead of beer. So when someone makes a cup you drink from your bottle, instead of the cup.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2009, 09:14:40 PM »
I'm extremely late to this conversation, but with all the news reports about viruses & sickness being spread thanks to Beer Pong, would playing it in videogame mode help stop the unnecessary spread of floor dirt flu and herpes simplex sloppy seconds?

It could be the preferred way to play in dorms & frat houses across the nations campuses.

From what I heard, most of this story turned out to be a gross exaggeration of what the study actually said.  I don't recall the details, though.